Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Didn't get any of the city players into my fantasy league team for that reason. Besides maybe 5 players the rest you never know who will play.
Exactly, and thankfully we're getting to a similar level, just need more depth in midfield and RB & we'll have a seriously strong squad capable of competing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is just embarassing. Rashford has his fair share of sitters he misses, actually he scores the harder ones.

But beyond that, Rashford is a different player to Pogba but Pogba is miles ahead overall and the 4 assits show it.

And then people talk about agendas when stuff like this is posted when he equals the PL record for assists in a single game.
So what? Did I say that Pogba shouldn't be part of the first 11? He can play like he did today very centrally blending with Bruno Fernandes if we get the right CDM that can help occupy both.

Rashford is the best LW that we have at the club in terms of a finisher - It's a pure joke to act like Rashford is some average player.

His numbers are insane and he does it against top clubs too.

Bebestation

I personally don't rate his technical ability but if he's back to his best, he causes so many problems for defences. However, against low blocks, I think we should play Sancho, Greenwood and Cavani/Martial.

Rashford cannot and should not play every game if he's to play into his 30s.

This is just embarassing. Rashford has his fair share of sitters he misses, actually he scores the harder ones.

But beyond that, Rashford is a different player to Pogba but Pogba is miles ahead overall and the 4 assits show it.

And then people talk about agendas when stuff like this is posted when he equals the PL record for assists in a single game.
:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There would be no regular spot for a lot of players if we played like today every week.

We won't.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So what? Did I say that Pogba shouldn't be part of the first 11? He can play like he did today very centrally blending with Bruno Fernandes if we get the right CDM that can help occupy both.

Rashford is the best LW that we have at the club in terms of a finisher - It's a pure joke to act like Rashford is some average player.

His numbers are insane and he does it against top clubs too.
Rashford is not even a winger, he's a wide forward.

He doesn't look to create, he looks to shoot and because he's so good at that, we have people going on about how many goals he scores and how much we'd miss him if he comes off the bench.

What these people fail to mention and what playing Pogba on the LW has shown is that creativity from wide can more than make up for having a goal-scoring LW.

Personally, with the personnel we have, I'd play 4-3-3 with Pogba at LCM, Bruno RCM, Rashford on the left, Sancho right and Martial/Cavani up top, with rotation allowing for rest.

EDIT:
And yeah, Rashford hasn't got technical ability, he can't dribble past players. If you've failed to notice that in the past 18 months, I don't know what to say, except stick to emojis.

Bebestation

Rashford is not even a winger, he's a wide forward.

He doesn't look to create, he looks to shoot and because he's so good at that, we have people going on about how many goals he scores and how much we'd miss him if he comes off the bench.

What these people fail to mention and what playing Pogba on the LW has shown is that creativity from wide can more than make up for having an goal-scoring LW.

Personally, with the personnel we have, I'd play 4-3-3 with Pogba at LCM, Bruno RCM, Rashford on the left, Sancho right and Martial/Cavani up top, with rotation allowing for rest.

EDIT:
And yeah, Rashford hasn't got technical ability, he can't dribble past players. If you've failed to notice that in the past 18 months, I don't know what to say, except stick to emojis.
Rashford can't dribble past players :lol:

So we are going to play Pogba as a LW because we can't fit him in - in his proper position?

Pogba may have started as a LW in todays game but after the first goal he was playing more and more centrally.

Atleast I agree with you that Pogba and Bruno can be the central midfield partnership along as we get the right CDM.

Sancho is also coming to the RW to be more of a creator (all the positions James got in to can lead to chances by Sancho).

I'm fine with Pogba starting games over Rashford- but acting like Rashford is some average player with no technical ability or to be one of the main goalscorers of Manchester United is just not sitting in my stomach or brain.

littleman

I think the competition for forward spots is exactly what we need to compete for the trophies.

I'd love to see more players prioritizing their club performances and not going into international comps with injuries and taking months to heal afterwards, eating into club time. Rashford never really had to contend with competition before this, but when he finds himself benched when fully fit that'll start to change how he thinks about his own health and performances.

pacifictheme

No need for that. Behave.

It's not as easy as you make it sound. There's only three positions he's competing for. Who would be bench?
Go look at the squad in 2008. So many attacking players and they were all kept happy and played loads.

Our first team has been run into the ground the end of thr last two seasons because there is such a drop off in quality after them. Now we can rotate a bit more.

Also Rashford has two twenty goal seasons back to back, last season carrying a shoulder injury. I think he'll OK and the topic was a stupid one.

Blood Mage

A lot of posters on the caf have heart eyes when it comes to Rashford and won't even entertain the idea that he's not a guaranteed starter anymore. He was very poor last season and it wasn't just because of injuries/fitness problems. Hopefully Sancho's arrival is the kick up the arse he needs.

PoTMS

The Rashford of old before his injury, certainly. The one we've seen in the last 6-8 months. Bench.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I bet once he returns he will have the most appearances until end of the season, starting from his return.

siw2007

Rashford will play plenty of games, he’s a very good player who scores and makes plenty of goals for the team.

Ideally we will use our strength in depth and rotate Cavani, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and maybe even Elanga depending on fitness and the opposition, and I think this is exactly what we will do.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yes, because we shouldn't be expecting our forwards to play 50+ games in a season.

He'll get lots of games. Cavani isn't going to play twice a week every week, and will likely pick up an injury or two. Martial will likely go through periods of niggles and bad form, as he always does. Pogba will play CM in a lot of games too. And Bruno needs to not be playing 58 games again, it's far too much. Sancho coming in takes away some of that creative burden, and hopefully VDB can step in as a #10 too.

We finally have depth to rotate and not run players into the ground. Rashford coming back in November will be a huge boost for when fixtures pile up around Christmas and the new year.

Olecurls99

Nice problem to have and shows where we're headed. We've got Rashford, Pogba and Sancho for the left. Sancho, Greenwood and Diallo(I think he's that good already) for the right and Cavani, Greenwood and Martial for up top. Pogba and Diallo can also cover for Bruno in the 10 role. 8 top players for 4 positions. What great options! Great work Ole and team

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Rashford can't dribble past players :lol:

So we are going to play Pogba as a LW because we can't fit him in - in his proper position?

Pogba may have started as a LW in todays game but after the first goal he was playing more and more centrally.

Atleast I agree with you that Pogba and Bruno can be the central midfield partnership along as we get the right CDM.

Sancho is also coming to the RW to be more of a creator (all the positions James got in to can lead to chances by Sancho).

I'm fine with Pogba starting games over Rashford- but acting like Rashford is some average player with no technical ability or to be one of the main goalscorers of Manchester United is just not sitting in my stomach or brain.
His ability to go past players is more to do with his rapid speed and acceleration than actual ability to go through tight spaces.

Even in that clip, he kicks the ball and runs down the wing. That is not what I mean by technical ability.

I don't understand why you and others get so defensive when I say Rashford is not that good technically. Compared to Pogba and Sancho, he's just not.

But he's an altogether different type of threat and it's great we have him as an option.

As for where Pogba is to play.. it's honestly too tiring at this point because he doesn't have a place in our team necessarily but he's too good to be left out. We really should be building around him in midfield but apparently buying a proper CDM is just too much to accomodate a player who's cost us 90m and can lead us to glory. I'd personally play him alongside Fred in this formation but that's weak against a proper team.

Olecurls99

His ability to go past players is more to do with his rapid speed and acceleration than actual ability to go through tight spaces.

Even in that clip, he kicks the ball and runs down the wing. That is not what I mean by technical ability.

I don't understand why you and others get so defensive when I say Rashford is not that good technically. Compared to Pogba and Sancho, he's just not.

But he's an altogether different type of threat and it's great we have him as an option.

As for where Pogba is to play.. it's honestly too tiring at this point because he doesn't have a place in our team necessarily but he's too good to be left out. We really should be building around him in midfield but apparently buying a proper CDM is just too much to accomodate a player who's cost us 90m and can lead us to glory. I'd personally play him alongside Fred in this formation but that's weak against a proper team.
Spot on

Varun

Staff
Cavani
Sancho - Greenwood

Is our best front 3 imo if Sancho can hit the ground running but we play enough games for everyone to be happy.

It's Martial that'll be fecked unless he starts really well and gives Ole a decision to make before Cavani gets fit.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It means Rashford will have to improve if he wants to be a consistent starter and a future starter for England. That's a very good thing.

Jacob

The fact that Rashford will get games is totally besides the point. He will not be in our strongest XI, therefore, he will probably make equal amounts starts to sub appearances.

Jacob

Go look at the squad in 2008. So many attacking players and they were all kept happy and played loads.

Our first team has been run into the ground the end of thr last two seasons because there is such a drop off in quality after them. Now we can rotate a bit more.

Also Rashford has two twenty goal seasons back to back, last season carrying a shoulder injury. I think he'll OK and the topic was a stupid one.
The fact that you think it's a stupid topic begs the question why you're here in the first place. Join discussions where you can constructively argue, not ridicule and belittle.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Get his shoulder sorted and give him midfield support, he’ll be our top scorer this season. I’m sure of that.

Flexdegea

As someone said already........this place :lol:

60 game season, he 100% going to play more games on that side than anyone while covering other spots............hes our most dangerous player on the left with his energy and pace, especially when we playing counter attack.

Can't wait to he is back. Some options now on the bench and on the pitch. Teams will be fearful again

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Get his shoulder sorted and give him midfield support, he’ll be our top scorer this season. I’m sure of that.
Will be tough to beat Bruno!

To answer the thread starter, peak Rashford will definitely start for us probably over Martial/Cavani. We'd have a front three of Sancho/Greenwood/Rashford. Like others have said though this is a great problem to have, players not taking their place for granted and every good or bad performance means something to your starting spot. The more we find spots to rotate Bruno and Rashford the better for the team.

Bebestation

The guy was amazing to watch before his shoulder and back injury wasn't he? Very fun player to watch and became deadly the end of the season before the last one.

Sancho has to prove it in England and dribbling without that free space in the Bundesliga counter attack isn't going to be easy either, so I think jumping in to questioning Rashfords place as a starter is really questionable.

There's a Martial & James who may not have a future this time next year, a Sancho that still hasn't proved it in the Premier League (hoping he will), and Pogba who is a creative player - who as Ole said was given the freedom to play as he wants (hence why we saw him centrally alot and not exactly on the side holding the touchline).

Pogba had a freedom and its something I enjoy watching but neither do I think we can play him as a LW/LAM every game either because sometimes we are not going to be able to give that freedom or we may need a more capable inside forward than a creator instead.

pacifictheme

The fact that you think it's a stupid topic begs the question why you're here in the first place. Join discussions where you can constructively argue, not ridicule and belittle.
Pretty sure I did one then the other there pal.

el3mel

Ultimately it depends on his form, similar to also Sancho and Greenwood. Neither of them should be permanent starter regardless of form, even Sancho. The one who's in form and contributes to the team the most at the moment starts.

lost7

I'm really hoping Rashy Mason and Sancho will become a legendary front three, even eclipsing the Rooney Ronaldo Tevez era (yeah I know, big shoes to fill)

Herman Toothrot

Yeah, he's a brilliant player. One of our most productive players in terms of stats and a scorer or both big and beautiful goals.

There's no question mark against Rashford.

Then again, we were a "joke club" yesterday for not having announced Varane and Solskjær was a "coward" for picking the team that only put 5 past Leeds. Who knows what madness the self hating fans will spew into the night.

Rashford will prove them wrong again, as much as they're frothing to "burst his bubble".

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
last season he played to much, this season he plays less? Rashford has to first fully recover from his injury and find his match fitness and rythm again. This could be a process of months, so the answer of the OP is much more less to be answered when that times comes.

Jacob

Short answer, yes! He is our main goal threat outside of Bruno. People forget how good this guy is.
He's not imo. Cavani and Greenwood are both bigger threats. Not to mention Sancho based on his Dortmund form.

Andy_Cole

You won’t win the league with a set front three. Need rotation and squad depth. Players will be in and out of form. He will be a regular though and will start the bigger games.

Status
Not open for further replies.