Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Pogba Fred

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Cavani

Greenwood will play his fair share also.

TrustInOle

He's not imo. Cavani and Greenwood are both bigger threats. Not to mention Sancho based on his Dortmund form.
Rashford has hit over 20 goals the last two seasons playing through injury that needed surgery. He will be lethal when fully fit, an injury affecting your spine, neck or shoulders can completley throw your equilibrium off, plus he lost his explosiveness. I would agree Cavani (who can't play multiple times per week for the 90) and Greenwood are better finishers but Rashford continually finds himself or creates for himself, goal scoring positions and can commit defenders better than anyone in our squad except Pogba.

I expect he will make that LW his own come end of the season.

stw2022

The sacred cow. Perfectly acceptable to say other players will make way but to suggest they won’t:

“OMG THIS PLACE:houllier::lol::houllier::houllier:

Don’t get it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I love early season reactions, by December when you are playing 3 games in 7 days, dealing with injuries, you’ll be moaning about not having more competent attackers instead of Dan James or Jessie Lingard.

stw2022

Sancho on left, Greenwood on right. Cavani through middle. Better player, more clinical and all of the above respectively for those three. Rashford will get games over season though of course. Don’t get Pogba comparisons as presumably now we’ve added his days on left are over?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Definitely, although I am one of the loons who thinks he's going to be a 35+ goal a season player when he gets over his injury woes.

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
I don't think Rashford is as good as Pogba when both are on form, and he's not got the same potential as Greenwood or Sancho. I'm sure Rashford will get a lot of games but to me, like Martial, he shouldn't be a first team regular.

If you looked at Rashford early on in his career and compare it to now, there isn't a lot of progression there. Even his biggest fans have to admit he hasn't kicked on like you hope a 19/20 year old will do. He'll be 24 when he next plays for United and yet some of his most impressive showings were under LVG.

Aa a project, I just think United would be better off backing Greenwood. His ceiling is far higher.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Nope. The proven, season long consistency of Paul Pogba will keep him out
I don't remember a bad game form Pogba as a LAM, he's class there it's when he's deeper, he can switch off.

I think Rashford will slowly get back to play LF, while Pogba will unfortunately need to drop to CM, and then we are back to decide coin flip how good he will play in games. Perhaps Varane in the back4 and easier games can motivate Pogba a bit more and make him more dependable, he's capable of that for sure.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There's now at least 2 good options for each position, assuming Martial finds form:

RW:
Sancho
Greenwood

LW:
Rashford
Pogba
Martial
Sancho

ST:
Greenwood
Cavani
Martial

AM:
Bruno
Pogba
Sancho?
lots of blank space
DVB

Rashford is much better at LW than he is anywhere else including striker or the right, which might limit his chances. All the others have 2 positions. But other than Bruno I don't think anyone's guaranteed.

Red_Aaron

I'm glad we now have better depth which allows us to manage his game time better.

Make no mistake though, when fully fit Marcus starts all of our big games and rightfully so.

Along with perhaps only Bruno, Shaw and Maguire he's a guaranteed starter for Ole

Frankly I find the underrating of him on here absolutely bizarre, I dread to think where we'd have finished without him these last 3 years

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't remember a bad game form Pogba as a LAM, he's class there it's when he's deeper, he can switch off.

I think Rashford will slowly get back to play LF, while Pogba will unfortunately need to drop to CM, and then we are back to decide coin flip how good he will play in games. Perhaps Varane in the back4 and easier games can motivate Pogba a bit more and make him more dependable, he's capable of that for sure.
Pogba played a free role today where he drifted and played alot of his time centrally as a CAM/CM as said by Ole.

We can't always play Pogba like that and we will sometimes need the opposite of what Pogba offers, ie the width of the left wing, the goal scoring ability of an inverted forward etc.

It's good we have the ability of both, a creative option and a goalscoring one.

That's why this thread is disappointing- it's trying to create a problem when there really isn't one.

Red Daz

This forced break due to the operation is just what he needs , he’ll get plenty of games when he comes back energised

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Manchester United's premiership ambition problems highlighted right there, above...

It was great watching United against Leeds today without consistent sitters being missed, and basic poor decision-making being administered...
Ai. We’ve never seen United play great without Rashford :houllier:.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Pogba played a free role today where he drifted and played alot of his time centrally as a CAM/CM as said by Ole.

We can't always play Pogba like that and we will sometimes need the opposite of what Pogba offers, ie the width of the left wing, the goal scoring ability of an inverted forward etc.

It's good we have the ability of both, a creative option and a goalscoring one.

That's why this thread is disappointing- it's trying to create a problem when there really isn't one.
I don't disagree with anything said by you. They will rotate but Rashford is clearly the best form Left and would be luxurious to bench him and so that Pogba gets more gametime from deep as opposed to his advanced playmaker role starting from the left.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His ability to go past players is more to do with his rapid speed and acceleration than actual ability to go through tight spaces.

Even in that clip, he kicks the ball and runs down the wing. That is not what I mean by technical ability.

I don't understand why you and others get so defensive when I say Rashford is not that good technically. Compared to Pogba and Sancho, he's just not.

But he's an altogether different type of threat and it's great we have him as an option.
Rashford has plenty of technical ability from a standing start or at slow speeds. He's capable of doing brilliant things with the ball. The issue is that he does lose that ability as he speeds up and he does basically become a fairly clumsy kick and run merchant, which means he's not capable of skillful dribbling in the way players like Giggs, Ronaldo, Hazard or plenty of other players can do.

He showed what he was capable of doing in that run of form before his injury in 19/20 where he was playing at a true world class level for a couple of months. Part of that was his decision making in when to slow it down and use the skills and tricks to beat his man, and when to go for sheer pace. Hopefully with a proper rest and recovery from the injuries and knocks he had, he'll be able to come back and start showing that level more often again.

jesperjaap

I don't think Rashford is as good as Pogba when both are on form, and he's not got the same potential as Greenwood or Sancho. I'm sure Rashford will get a lot of games but to me, like Martial, he shouldn't be a first team regular.

If you looked at Rashford early on in his career and compare it to now, there isn't a lot of progression there. Even his biggest fans have to admit he hasn't kicked on like you hope a 19/20 year old will do. He'll be 24 when he next plays for United and yet some of his most impressive showings were under LVG.

Aa a project, I just think United would be better off backing Greenwood. His ceiling is far higher.
I think he has kicked on in that finally a manager has found the right position for him, not a striker ever for me. Though you may be a little harsh, I agree with you. He gets games regularly and he competes and it can be situational, but ability wise it would be Pogba, Cavani, Sancho....He for me is on the second rung with Martial and Greenwood but they are more for me for the striker role.

For us Pogbas best position for me is on the left as he can drop deeper and play the longer balls or drive forward and there are less occasions his team work frailties giving the ball away badly or not tracking would be exposed, though I am not sure I would trust him tracking back in some of the bigger games.

Whether it is injuries and/or average progression, he has a fight on his hands to get back in the side. Lets just hope it is maybe an injury thing and we get the best version of Rashford when he comes back. Though personally I have always thought he has been over rated and hyped, he does have skillful abilities to add to his pace when on form that can cause a danger to any side

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Rashford's best form was in 19/20 before he had the double stress fracture in his back. He was pretty much carrying our attack at the time and was one of the best performing players in the league. Really looked like he was in the process of stepping up to a truly world class level.

Unfortunately since that bad back injury he's never been the same since. He's shown the occasional glimpse but nothing like he was showing at that time. The question is whether that injury was still having an impact on him (RVP had a similar injury when he was younger and said he never recovered 100% from it), whether it was the other injuries that he has been carrying (he's had this shoulder injury for ages and also had a foot problem for a while), or whether those few months of brilliance was just a golden period that was never going to be maintained?

The hope is that this surgery and enforced rest will allow him to get over all the knocks and injuries that he's been playing through, and we'll see him get back to that his brilliant best. With our improved attacking depth we should also be able to rest him when needed instead of having to play him through those injuries.

Damon1559

Of course there is a place for him, but the beauty of the situation is that he won't be guarantee'd his place in the team and will have to fight for his place again. This can only be a plus for the team in general. We have amazing options in attack this year and hopefully all of our attackers are chomping at the bit to get into the side through out the season!

tjb

Guaranteed? He will have to prove that, but he will definitely start most games, same goes for Sancho, Greenwood, Cavani, Pogba and Martial. Bruno is the only certainty in the front 4. We will have loads of games and Pogba will play in midfield many times; what's clear is there will be no time for bad patches of form for anyone in attack anymore. In truth, that's partially what won us the treble, that's what has allowed City to dominate and thats what will ensure we have a steady producing attack this season. If a Rooney, Ronaldo or Bruno emerges for his rotation, they will also be guaranteed. It's that simple.

Relem

No. Pogba on the left has (bizarrely) been his best position at United and Rashford will be his cover. Right will be Sancho, centre will be Cavani (with mason hopefully getting lots of games covering either).

Scholsey2004

If the intention was to counter attack youd choose Rashford. If you wanted to break a low block youd use Pogba. Theres room for both. If Greenwood puts in more performances like todays then we wont need Haaland anyway. First time ive seen him look really comfortable up top for the senior team. He was terrific.

Pogba has played in the same position as today and rarely delivers from that position. Against top teams, Leeds are very well drilled but with not many good players, Pogba on the left would not be good, we’d need him central midfield deeper behind Bruno. From her he can play those killer passes from deeper and drive forward.

Rashford on the left because he constantly drives and runs at the RB and CB, this is the best form of defence and prevents our left side getting bombarded, also forces their right winger/attacker to drop back and limits supply to their forward.

Hypothetical scenario.. we’re playing Juventus in the CL.. who would you rather be our left winger, Pogba or Rashford and who do you think would better deal with the threat of Chiesa both directly and indirectly. Rashford or Pogba, remember also by stopping Chiesa you also stop him supplying Ronaldo, Dybala, and their other scorers.

He'sRaldo

In a game like today's with Rashford fully fit, he would take Mason's place up top and peel to the left, while Mason would take James' place.

It would basically be the same setup with split strikers in front of Bruno, only with Rashford instead of James.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
While Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and Cavani are fit and at their best, where does that leave Rashford when he's back?

I would never want to lose him but if we replace Cavani with Haaland next summer, the situation looks even worse. I'm assuming Pogba stays obviously.

Would he be satisfied with a part-time role?
Yes.

Someone

Something
I think having some competition will be great for Rashford. I'd say Martial is the one who should be worried.

Infra-red

I'd expect Rashford to continue playing from the left when he returns from injury.

Pogba will likely be replaced by a new midfielder next summer and the jury is definitely out on Martial. It's quite possible that Rashford's main competiton on the left wing in future will be Sancho.

Bertie Wooster

We've obviously got very strong competition in the attacking areas and so, when they're all fit, I imagine Pogba will mostly have to feature as a CM and leave the attacking roles for 3 of the likes of Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani and Martial.

There'll be rotation, obviously, so I'm sure they'll all get plenty of minutes. And, unfortunately, there'll be the usual injuries so spells when no one needs to be 'left out' as 1 or 2 will be unavailable, etc.

So I don't think any will find themselves struggling for game time whenever they're fit and available. And certainly not Rashford. If any did as the season develops, it might be the likes of Cavani (leaving at the end of the season anyway) or Martial depending on which Martial we see this season. I really can't see Rashford, Sancho or Greenwood struggling for minutes whenever they're available.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I am genuinely excited this season of challenging for the title with the display last night. It looks like Utd of old, full of intent to destroy team with ot without Rashford. Let's see how we do in the next 4-5 games if the read Utd turns up.

lost7

Some of you have very fickle memories. Rashford at his best is honestly world class, some of the spells he's had (like when Ole was our caretaker manager or in 2019-2020 before his injury) demonstrated he's the full package in terms of both goal scoring as well as getting past players and creating chances for the team.

Last season he clearly wasn't firing on all cylinders, likely because of playing through injury, and even then his stats were more than decent. Hopefully once he comes back in October we'll see the best of him once again because I have no doubts he's gonna slot in the left wing as soon as he's fit.

Mr Smith

Pogba will start in midfield against (at least) the following teams: Norwich, Burnley, Watford, Palace, Newcastle, Everton, Wolves, Villa, Brentford, Arsenal. During those games Rashford will be first-choice on the left. For any other games, it will come down to who's in the better form, which is honestly a great situation to be in.

Deusex

Manchester United's premiership ambition problems highlighted right there, above...

It was great watching United against Leeds today without consistent sitters being missed, and basic poor decision-making being administered...
Yep, Rashford should be a squad player on 100k a week

Foxbatt

Everyone should be worried about their places. No one should be guaranteed a place unless they are delivering. If Martial or Sancho plays well they should not be dropped unless they do not deliver. Rashford has to bide his time to get his opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.