Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtt

WUM
Spurs sold Dele Alli and are now in CL. United clings to Rashford with all kinds of excuses and is struggling to keep 6th place.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I always think the decision to 'ignore' penalties is a debatable one, and I'm not trying to come down on one side of the argument or other, but i think it's interesting if you take out the single season when Rashford took all Utd's penalties (19/20), then his goal return by year is
15/16 - 5
16/17 - 5
17/18 - 7
18/19 - 10
19/20 - 11
20/21 - 11
21/22 - 4

I guess my point being that a 10 goal PL season is classically an above average result for him and some posters might be harking back to a bygone era that never really existed. That's not to say his level hasn't plummeted recently, it obviously has, but perhaps it hasn't quite fallen from the heights that some seem to think.

I think there is a way of playing that plays to his strengths but I think to base your attack around a certain style of play you need to be basing it round a truly exceptional talent, and Rashford is not that, he's simply a good player who on his day is very good, but those days don't happen often enough. I might get slated for this but that's just my opinion. I like the guy, and i take no joy in seeing him cut the forlorn figure he seems to be cutting recently.

ReallyUSA

No he isn’t. Maybe Ole ran him into the ground or he just wasn’t as good as we thought he was. I think both need to separate next year.

DomM

We really need to accept that he isn't good enough to be a starter, at best he is an impact sub but minus the impact.

Frank White

Sancho is way better in these areas.
Would be nice to see once in a while from him because as of yet he rarely beats a defender for pace or by dribbling, holds the ball and passes backwards 90% of the time, isn't scoring and his defensive contribution is next to 0 so yeah, literally ticks all the boxes.

Hammondo

Would be nice to see once in a while from him because as of yet he rarely beats a defender for pace or by dribbling, holds the ball and passes backwards 90% of the time, isn't scoring and his defensive contribution is next to 0 so yeah, literally ticks all the boxes.
He's generally a very good dribbler.

Lee565

Spurs sold Dele Alli and are now in CL. United clings to Rashford with all kinds of excuses and is struggling to keep 6th place.
Same goes for Werner and lukaku at Chelsea where they swallowed their pride and moved both on. We cling to averageness for way too long instead of always seeking to find an improvement in their first 11 positions like most big clubs do.

AndySmith1990

Same goes for Werner and lukaku at Chelsea where they swallowed their pride and moved both on. We cling to averageness for way too long instead of always seeking to find an improvement in their first 11 positions like most big clubs do.
We don't operate like any other big club. In fact I'm not sure we can even be referred to as a big club at present. We're big commercially, but the way we run the football side is amateur at times. I really don't understand why we struggle so much. Just hire a person with experience, like City did when they got that bloke from Barca in preparation for hiring Pep.

Azhar88

I went into WH Smiths today, there was a life-sized cardboard cutout of Marcus Rashford - I resisited the urge to say something....

Until I saw the pile of books next to it entitled: "You can do it".

Then I said something.

P.S. If someone accuses me of being jealous that a person can become so famous, so wealthy & so revered based on just a few successful years and massive flaws as a footballer, well I admit it. Guilty as charged.

glasgow 21

Regarding rashford yes he does get into starting 11 are there is no-one else at present except young replacement in garnacho. I just want ashford to get dirty score a goal with a header is shoulder knee just get on the end of opportunities. Make your own luck toe poke it instead of side footing everything without pace. I suppose i'm a glass half full and want him to succeed. Watch romario 70% of his goals was a toe poke, keeper can't read it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Chelsea just let Werner and Lukaku go after 2 seasons too. We are definitely the most sentimental club/struggle to let players until it’s blindingly obvious

FerociousCorgis

Chelsea just let Werner and Lukaku go after 2 seasons too. We are definitely the most sentimental club/struggle to let players until it’s blindingly obvious
yeah it is tough to straddle the line between too early and too late, as im sure chelsea might want KDB and Salah back. Feels like united are def on the too slow to move on train though for sure.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Regarding rashford yes he does get into starting 11 are there is no-one else at present except young replacement in garnacho. I just want ashford to get dirty score a goal with a header is shoulder knee just get on the end of opportunities. Make your own luck toe poke it instead of side footing everything without pace. I suppose i'm a glass half full and want him to succeed. Watch romario 70% of his goals was a toe poke, keeper can't read it.
You could put us fat guys( speaking for myself) from the CAF on and if we ran about like a headless chicken , by the law of averages we could eventually score a flukey goal with a shoulder, knee whatever.
Is this what we have come to in the defence of Rashford, just keep playing him because we love him so much, god almighty just might intervene and let him score a crap goal with a toe poke.
The defence of the guy is unbelievable at times. Right now he wouldnt being in the starting 11 of another premier league team. No chance.

Lee565

I genuinely believe even martial has more use than him in terms of covering positions and is better technically with the ball at his feet that out of the two he would fit more so with ten hag's philosophy

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I wonder if we'll get articles that he's a toxic influence and that he should just leave with all the leaks coming out.

I somehow doubt his press buddies will do that though

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Selling him without getting a replacement would be another appalling decision in a summer of appalling decisions.

MrSingh2002

If he wants to go we need to take the opportunity to take PSG players that we could do with. RB, CDM, RW and ST.

Like when we missed the trick selling Ronaldo but not taking Robben or Sneijder instead of the money.

Anyone at PSG of interest in those positions besides Icardi as striker? Neymar for LW?

justsomebloke

If he wants to go we need to take the opportunity to take PSG players that we could do with. RB, CDM, RW and ST.

Like when we missed the trick selling Ronaldo but not taking Robben or Sneijder instead of the money.

Anyone at PSG of interest in those positions besides Icardi as striker? Neymar for LW?
Yeah, that'll do wonders for the dressing room and team spirit. Neymar and Ronaldo, if that doesn't turn everyone else into a happy, functional team player I really don't know what will. :D

MrSingh2002

Who cares. I'd think twice about Neymar for any team, let alone one riddled with the issues we have.
But you don't think Rashford is as culpable as anyone else for the current situation?

He hasn't looked like he wants to play football for the club in 2 years.

Marwood

Looks like it currently yeah. PSG want Neymar to leave and they want Rashford.

If Neymar is fit he's a much better player than Rashford.
But why. Had you even heard of this rumour two hours ago?

Now all of a sudden our only option is to sign Neymar. Doesn't make much sense to me.

justsomebloke

But you don't think Rashford is as culpable as anyone else for the current situation?

He hasn't looked like he wants to play football for the club in 2 years.
So what? That's not an argument to bring Neymar instead. It's not like they're the only two left forwards in the world.

Rashford; there are arguments for keeping him, and arguments for parting ways.

Neymar? I don't want him at this club, period. Whether Rashford stays or goes, I just don't. It's got nothing to do with the numbers he puts up and he is a fantastic talent, but he's also a selfish primadonna, uncoachable, not remotely a team player, and another black hole-sized ego to go along with Ronaldos. Maybe you could absorb him if you're already a strong, proven, confident team with lots of leaders and strong personalities in it, but to a team like united, he'd be toxic. If you want to build a team, you want your best players to be team players, in some sense. He isn't.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

And anyway, why would Neymar want to. We don't seem to hold much sway with the top talent these days. I think last springs rottenness, RRs merciless assessment in combination the club then just walking away from that, has really blown our credibility. And I think it's worse this time than at any previous point post SAF. No one expects us to get good anytime soon.

MrSingh2002

But why. Had you even heard of this rumour two hours ago?

Now all of a sudden our only option is to sign Neymar. Doesn't make much sense to me.
What other good wingers have we been linked with besides Antony really?

At this point of the window big moves happen. Links don't have to have been there all summer.

redmanx

ETH should be looking to offload not only Rashford but Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay and Dalot too. As much as I like DDG who has been an outstanding keeper, its clear unless he works on his distribution and commanding his area, he will not fit in with the way ETH wants us to play, so I think we should bring back Dean Henderson from Forest as soon as possible and make him first choice keeper.

Ahmer Baig

The sentiment with home grown talent has let Utd to clung to players and not let them go even if they have been shit. That attitude is what lumped United with Jesse Lingard for 5 years longer than he should have been at the club.

The easy ride such players get at United is ridiculous. He's not playing anywhere near the standard expected at United and if someone wants to pay decent money for him. Get him gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.