Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've never been as big a fan of Rashford the player as many others, I find him quite frustrating. But all I'll say needs to happen for now, like every other player, is he has to reinvent himself to suit the type of football Rangnick will look to implement. He needs to be 30-40% better in all areas, particularly his effort and fight off the ball. Otherwise he's going to lose himself in this team I feel.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
A result of three years of poor coaching. Let’s hope Ralf can start to undo some of the damage that’s been done. He had all the tools to be a far, far better player than he currently is.

It was definitely the most frustrating part of the Solskjaer era, so much development time wasted.

RazorOz

Weird to see all this about Rashford tonight after playing out of position and still contributing a good assist, whilst the man occupying his preferred position did even less.
Sancho was much better than Rashford. It was his defence cutting passes, the exact type of passes we have been missing for long stretches, that created 2 of our goals, and he was much better without the ball too.

I've never been a fan of Rashford on the right, as he's not a winger, he doesn't want to run the line and put in a cross, he wants to cut in and normally look for goal, but he has a weak left foot, meaning he can't really do this effectively on the right. The bigger problem right now though is just how non-existent he is in games. He is going have to up his work rate, as it's hard to see him surviving in the team under Rangnick otherwise. As someone else said, he will still play a role regardless, as he is the sort of player who can be highly effective as a sub running at tired defences.

KingCavani

Weird to see all this about Rashford tonight after playing out of position and still contributing a good assist, whilst the man occupying his preferred position did even less.
Maybe because he was absolutely abysmal?

Are people's standards really that low that one decent moment will forgive 80 minutes of dross?

Ottawa MLS Fan

No idea about the reason, but he doesn’t look focused. Hopefully a new manager and some real coaching will sort him out.

crossy1686

career ending
Well, there's something going on, he doesn't look like his head's in the game. Bench him for Greenwood until he's sorted it out.
He’s a confidence player and he’s gets abuse 24/7 from our ‘fans’ or from random Tory’s who think toddlers should pay their own way.

We don’t know the effect missing that penalty at the euros has had on him mentally, he doesn’t look to have recovered yet and our fans aren’t exactly supporting him.

Just give the lad some time and let’s see how he does under Rangnick. He’s still a brilliant player.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Something's not right with him. He doesn't look physically ready, looks slower somehow.
Maybe all these injuries have had an effect on him psychologically.

lemmiwink

It does look like he lost a yard of pace. He is also helpless from RW, just as Sancho is a little helpless from LW.

He might not be in the best form of his life, but he should get a run of games in his preferred position to get back in to form.

To say he isn’t a starter anymore is a bit harsh to be honest.

stw2022

I don’t understand how playing on the right means he’s limited to just walking around disinterestedly. Also can’t see how an outfield player apparently utterly useless unless he is selected in his own specifically favoured position can be considered a top player. Surely if his adaptability is that awful it’s damning.

Isn’t it unusual for wide/attacking players to be as positionally limited as he seems to be?

AndySmith1990

He's not a very good footballer. He used to be, despite having obvious weaknesses, but you could see the potential was there. For whatever reason he's never shown improvement since bursting into the first team, and he's actually regressing.

Hopefully Ralf can turn it around with him, but if not he shouldn't be a regular starter, he just doesn't offer anywhere near enough.

stw2022

He's not a very good footballer. He used to be, despite having obvious weaknesses, but you could see the potential was there. For whatever reason he's never shown improvement since bursting into the first team, and he's actually regressing.

Hopefully Ralf can turn it around with him, but if not he shouldn't be a regular starter, he just doesn't offer anywhere near enough.

Agreed entirely. I think our own historically relative mediocrity over the last few seasons has really been a blessing in disguise for him because there’s no way a player of the standard he’s been in the last two years would be finding his way into a side living up to fans expectations/wishes

It has nothing to do with injury. It’s lack of work rate and inability to use the ball intelligently. Greenwood doesn’t have anywhere close to the experience or protection Rashford gets yet you can see simply by the way he plays with the ball at his feet that he’s a superior player as well as having a semblance of awareness of those around him, something Rashford’s game hasn’t ever developed.

Fewer and fewer people defend Rashford now, but I think what they’re defending is the player they remember not the player he became. He got an assist though so, like Fred, must have had a great game.

passing-wind

10 goals 6 assist 2018 / 17 goals 7 assist 2019 / 11 goals 9 assist 2020 playing majority of the season injured not to mention under a dysfunctional manager with Solskjaer tactically and in coaching. The not a very good footballer is nonsense, such titles should be better reserved to players who deserve it like Maguire who's not a very good defender.

Laurencio

He seems to have lost some of his pace, agility and determination. I think it's all fairly temporary, he had to be one of the main men at the club for years despite being relatively young, and it seems to have caught up to him. Looks like burn out to me, playing through injuries and pushing your body too hard over a longer period of time.

With some proper coaching, a good fitness regime, diet and time I think he'll come good again. He has definitely suffered from a lack of coaching standards over the years. Hopefully that all changes with new coaches coming in and he can be guided back to fitness and be played in a system that helps him perform.

red4ever 79

He looks to me like he has lost his hunger. I know thats probably a controversial thing to say, but he just doesnt look like he wants it out there.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It’s burn out and lack of fitness after just getting back from injury. He’s fine and his mentality or commitment to the cause cannot be questioned. A manager like Ferguson would have simply taken him off of the firing line for a good month or two and trusted his squad options to deliver.

Eplel

I'll reserve my judgements for when he will have a good amount of games under Ragnick or his successor.

3 years of Ole's "express yourselves" don't do any favours to developing players.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
  • People complain about the quality of coach and coaching but then blame the young players? A player who has arguably had no coaching.
  • A back injury is a part of your spine, it changes the way you move, walk or run - it takes time to know how to adapt your game to the new changes in your spine.
  • He needs to improve his work rate significantly and hope the new coaching gets that part of his game up again.

thesheriffjw

Wow, the hypocrisy from people and the mods on this forum.

A strike for having an opinion and childish cotton woolers cry!!!

How dare anyone criticize or have a differing opinion?

You are the very reason society is in dire straits. Generation z who need kind words only and nothing else

red4ever 79

It’s burn out and lack of fitness after just getting back from injury. He’s fine and his mentality or commitment to the cause cannot be questioned. A manager like Ferguson would have simply taken him off of the firing line for a good month or two and trusted his squad options to deliver.
Cant be both surely.

wolvored

He knew under Ole he would play if he was 80% fit, so maybe he hasn't pushed himself to continuesly improve. He's right footed yet can't create from the right. Hes not clinical enough as a striker. Perhaps RR will sit him on the bench more often and knowing he isn't first choice anymore will push him to try harder. We will see.

Kind of agree with this. He's never been a great all round footballer but he was quick, direct and aggressive. All three things have disappeared and you have to wonder if they will ever come back.

It's frustrating because the left forward spot should be nailed down by now, but you compare him to somebody like Mane and he's miles away.

Judas

Open to offers
Out of form players shouldn't be starting with the options we have. Greenwood and Lingard should be playing ahead of him right now. Doesn't mean I hate him, doesn't mean I think he should be called a silly negative trash related nickname, but no player should be above having some time out of the starting lineup if they're not at the acquired level right now.

Zen86

I sometimes wonder if he’s not particularly thrilled playing with Ronaldo. He’s a player that wants to make runs and score goals, and Ronaldo has a tendency to shoot on sight rather than pass. I see the occasional signs of Rashford looking a bit fed up.

I'm a beautiful thing

He needs a coach that pushes him to improve and realise his potential, hopefully Ralf and whoever follows can do this, then we can see how good he is.
He hasn't improved enough, that could be injuries, coaching, being allowed to coast a bit but it's a crucial time for him,

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So we played him on the right for what reason? To teach him a lesson? To hope that he stops sulking?

Tonight was an important game, you play everyone in their best position as it gives you the greatest chance of getting a result. There was no logical reason for the decision, I couldn't believe they didn't even swap mid-game given Sancho was getting no joy out of the full back on his side, and Rashford was predictably shite on the right as always.

@noodlehair must have been tearing his hair out.
It nearly made me turn it off tbh. I genuinely can't believe how thick our coaching staff are.

There was no tactical reason to do it and worse than the fact Rashford is shite on the left, is the fact Sancho had just had his best two games for us playing on the right.

Tevarez was also absolutely shocking and if Sancho or Greenwood had been on that side they'd have slaughtered him.

GlasgowCeltic

I mean he is better on the left, but only in the sense that he's mostly poor on both sides but on the left he can get the odd shot off

Von Mistelroum

Tbh I've always had the impression that Rashford had a lot of potential but never reached it, but also that in his mind he did reach it some time ago so he'll never improve and take that final step. He often looks unsure of what his feet are actually doing when he has the ball. Personally don't think he'd start at other top clubs.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Something to add to that as well, is that he rarely heads the ball anymore. It's literally very rare you see him challenge for headers.
I actually began to notice the lack of headers from him (even challenging for headers from goal kicks etc), ever since the reports came out about heading footballs being linked to dementia.

I honestly believe that he is thinking outside of the sport, and seeing there is more to life than football.
Nah he’s always been truly awful at heading the ball, can’t jump, can’t time his jump, isn’t brave, it’s been that way since the very start.

TrustInJanuzaj

People are ridiculous. Players are not allowed poor form at all anymore. The whole thread is moot anyway as we dont know who will adapt best to Ralfs game.
I really hope he does do well under Ragnick, love him as a person and love some of his attributes. I just find him the most frustrating player in our whole team because he single handedly ruins so many great opportunities with his poor decisions, poor technical skills or laziness. He needs a new spark!

TrustInJanuzaj

Nah Sancho was far better, didn’t detrimentally impact the team for a start even if he was a little quiet. Give me a quiet, slightly ineffective game, over a sabotage job any day.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don't understand the "He's a confidence player" comments, who out of interest is not a "Confidence player", surely when out of confidence every player drops their form considerably?

Skills

Snitch
Something's not right with him. He doesn't look physically ready, looks slower somehow.
Maybe all these injuries have had an effect on him psychologically.
It could also be physical. That back injury was no joke & he's had another couple of long term ones that he was made to play through

romufc

Too many excuses for Rashford.

He is not good enough, he hasn't shown signs of improvement.

No one can tell me a shoulder recovery is the reason he looks disinterested on the pitch.

red4ever 79

It could also be physical. That back injury was no joke & he's had another couple of long term ones that he was made to play through
Just watched the video now when Smith Rowe scored, look at Rashford bottom of the screen. Doesnt even look like he is walking right

Around the 10 second mark

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Actually I do think it happened to Beckham as well. He wasn't the same player towards the end with us and I'm worried same thing is happening with Rashford.

Rashfords becoming this national treasure figure like Beckham did and I think its taken away their edge.
Come on it didn't affect Beckham on field one bit. SAF felt him being England captain dropped his utd performances but he was still a world class player and maximised his skill to the fullest. Not the lazy performances were seeing from Rashford, isn't he only 22/23? He was better at 17/18, still time for him to turn it around obviously.

stoinz

He is still a good player, his contributions proves that. However he just seemed so disinterested or lazy that it is really frustrating to watch. What we need is a player that is switch on 100% of the time not sporadically. I really do not know and I doubt anyone really knows too, if it is injuries, tactics or personality that is the issue. I just hope the new coach sets it right. Football is an extremely emotional sports, there a reason why fans are more sympathetic to players that work hard, tries hard despite lacking in other areas. It is because it feels that the player is fighting on our side for the same cause. Right now, I absolutely get no joy watching Rashford play regardless or his output - which is ok but not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.