Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

His current contract runs out in 2023 with 1 year optional extension, would be an interesting summer ahead if his form continues. But knowing us we will probably give him 250-300k a week new contract.

AaronRedDevil

Listen to yourself, calling a barely out of his teens United player a clown. You utter embarrassment.
:lol: Nah he should be playing a little better than that. It's not a once off, he's been doing it since the start of the season. Costing chances by not passing it to his teammates. All night his shots didn't even have any power in them. You'd think he'd feel like changing it up at some point but nope. Just shoot and pray.

Foxbatt

No. He has no right to be a starter now. He has done feck all and could not be bothered at all. It is one thing to be trying and then not coming off what you try. He just could not bet arsed. Look at Cavani. He tries non stop. Even Ronaldo.

jem

Not if he keeps playing like this. That moment where he didn't follow up on Greenwood's shot was disgraceful.

Foxbatt

Not if he keeps playing like this. That moment where he didn't follow up on Greenwood's shot was disgraceful.
I do not think the pass from Greenwood to Rashford was on. The angle looked too tight. Greenwood has to put an absolute spot on pass for it to reach Rashford.

jem

I do not think the pass from Greenwood to Rashford was on. The angle looked too tight. Greenwood has to put an absolute spot on pass for it to reach Rashford.
Whatever the case, Rashford should have been looking for that rebound, not moping around in such a disinterested manner.

Greck

It was on. it doesn't just become available he had to create the angle by getting the defender to commit, same as creating a pass in any other part of the pitch. Greenwood from the moment he bore down on goal took the scoring route and just ended up with an angle that was neither favorable for a pass or a shot. It was shocking, the kind of play that would get Rashford slaughtered. I love Greenwood but no excuses on that one. It's so damn disappointing to see another academy product go down that path.

honirelandboy

Yes but until we go 4-3-3 and get in proper midfielders we are at nothing.

Every player is struggling under 4-2-3-1 and Ralph's formations

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Listen to yourself, calling a barely out of his teens United player a clown. You utter embarrassment.
24 years old is not barely out of his teens !!
He is obviously struggling with his confidence & decision making.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Rashford is class. It would not surprise me if there is something going on in his private life that gets revealed later.

Not speculating he is up to no good, but look at how Tiger Woods' form dropped off the planet after his issues.

People saying he is 'done' are having a laugh, he is what, 23 or something? he will come good again for sure. Unfortunately. ;)

RedDevil@84

He needs to be benched, as a bare minimum. It is up to him to show that he wants to genuinely work hard and play.

Play with the kids already and let's see what happens.

clarkydaz

That Greenwood rebound was exactly why Cavani made a big impact when he came. He's a scavenger in the box sniffing out chances in a way Rashford and Martial never did

Lee565

I don't see what warrants him starting over either martial or lingard and believe their qualities are actually more suited to the hybrid n10/winger role in ragnick set up than rashford

GlasgowCeltic

That Greenwood rebound was exactly why Cavani made a big impact when he came. He's a scavenger in the box sniffing out chances in a way Rashford and Martial never did
To be fair to Ole he mentioned countless times about trying to get him Martial and Greenwood to sniff for goals in the box more than they do, in one ear out the other.

clarkydaz

To be fair to Ole he mentioned countless times about trying to get him Martial and Greenwood to sniff for goals in the box more than they do, in one ear out the other.
yes i remember Ole saying he wanted them to score more scrappy ugly goals instead of pearlers. years later it seems nothing much has changed. So accusing him of not being bothered is unfair, he just isnt that good goalscorer

BlueHaze

I'm still baffled by that Greenwood rebound yesterday. Seriously, what's wrong with him? He's an attacker and didn't even try to get to the ball, not even a slight attempt, he just stood there like a zombie and was like, ah well, I don't give a feck.

I hoped he would improve and get better with time but I hate to say it he's not good enough. He needs to be replaced with someone more productive. Everytime Rashy plays it's like we're an attacker short.

Firestorm

Clearly his mind is elsewhere and I think he’s lost whatever he once had. A shame, but off load him to Newcastle and he won’t be missed.

Foxbatt

Of course he is occasionally going to score spectacular goals. But he is not a world class footballer in the top bracket. He is also a very poor header of the ball and not a good passer either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rashford was the fourth youngest player to reach 250 games for United and at 24 already has as many or more 50+ appearances seasons for United as the likes of Beckham, Giggs, Neville, etc. 111 matches and 7619 minutes over Solskjaer's two full seasons, while playing through injuries throughout that period.

If we're looking for a reason for him looking jaded now, that's it, not the charity work that keeps him occupied during his time off. He's been overpromoted and overplayed ever since he broke through. For his own sake and ours we need to stop relying on him so much.

frutti di mare

Rashford’s has been terrible recently, but he reminds me of De Gea during his bad form. De Gea had the credit in the bank that deserved patience due to what he had proved in the past and now he has proven Ole right to keep trust in him.

Rashford deserves patience because he’s one of the most talented players to come out of our academy in over 25 years and due to the potential he has shown. I don’t think we should be currently starting him every match as that only appears to be doing more harm but he deserves our support, and maybe coming on as a sub when the the opposition is tired will allow him to play better, get the goal or assists that will rebuild his confidence.

Reactions: Penna

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He needs to leave. Never believed in all the hype when he first broke through. Just another Welbeck, Walcott. Average player.

Waynne

I didn't watch the game but saw the Greenwood miss and the moment Greenwood entered the box I for sure was thinking he'd square it to Rashy for a tap in but he didn't. You could see the frustration on Rashford's face the moment Greenwood decided to go for goal despite it being a tight angle.
In fact if you watch the moment Greenwood gets the ball (frame by frame) he's eyes is only on the goal and not on Rashford in acres of space to his left and the moment Greenwood wants to pull the trigger, Rashford has his arms up but Mason's eyes is only on the ball and nowhere else. So throughout that whole period Mason only had eyes on the ball and the goal. If he had more awareness we could have potentially been up 2-0.

One of Greenwood's problems is he often fails to see others in better scoring positions when In on goal. Remember another incident where Ronaldo looked livid for Greenwood not squaring it to him in almost the same position as Rashford was against Villa.

Last edited:

Jackal981

Yes, as our club PR manager. See that shit he put out these last few days

stw2022

I didn't watch the game but saw the Greenwood miss and the moment Greenwood entered the box I for sure was thinking he'd square it to Rashy for a tap in but he didn't. You could see the frustration on Rashford's face the moment Greenwood decided to go for goal despite it being a tight angle.
In fact if you watch the moment Greenwood gets the ball (frame by frame) he's eyes is only on the goal and not on Rashford in acres of space to his left and the moment Greenwood wants to pull the trigger, Rashford has his arms up but Mason's eyes is only on the ball and nowhere else. So throughout that whole period Mason only had eyes on the ball and the goal. If he had more awareness we could have potentially been up 2-0.

One of Greenwood's problems is he often fails to see others in better scoring positions when In on goal. Remember another incident where Ronaldo looked livid for Greenwood not squaring it to him in almost the same position as Rashford was against Villa.
A pot and kettle situation surely when it comes to Rashford if we’re complaining about another player falling to pass to him when in a better position.

Greenwood is 20 and has appeared in a fraction of games at senior level and started even less compared to Rashford. The fact to defend Rashford so many others have to be dragged down from current and previous managers to Ronaldo to Greenwood to lord knows who else, is telling.

He was played out of position
Just needs a rest
Ole ruined him
He never had a pre season
He’s playing injured
Ronaldo has stunted his development
He’s clearly struggling mentally
Still recovering from the surgery
Looks like he’s got a lot on his mind
Greenwood’s selfishness is the problem

…honestly why is it never: maybe Rashford isn’t that good?

Last edited:

lex talionis

The Brain Freeze told us much about Rashford’s instincts as a forward.

Can the kind of instinct we’ve all seen from top forwards over the ages be learned or is it case of you either have it or you don’t? I’m not qualified to answer that but if it is the latter Rashford will go down in history as another promising young player who fizzled away during what should have been the peak of his career, little more than an object of curiosity as the football world moves on.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Rashford was the fourth youngest player to reach 250 games for United and at 24 already has as many or more 50+ appearances seasons for United as the likes of Beckham, Giggs, Neville, etc. 111 matches and 7619 minutes over Solskjaer's two full seasons, while playing through injuries throughout that period.

If we're looking for a reason for him looking jaded now, that's it, not the charity work that keeps him occupied during his time off. He's been overpromoted and overplayed ever since he broke through. For his own sake and ours we need to stop relying on him so much.
He basically had a 4 month break because of surgery and still came back looking disinterested. At some point, we have to stop blaming the club and start questioning what exactly is wrong with Rashford.

He plays like it's a hassle for him and he's just going through the motions. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing injured, but there really shouldn't be any excuse now that he has gone for surgery to fix whatever issue he was having.

Highfather_24

He's had a shitty workrate, his decision making is abysmal, and he's been looking like Welbeck mk2 for a long time now.

He conveniently made excuses for this and blamed it on his injuries(and then went to play for England injured), but now he doesnt have that excuse anymore, so now he's babbling to the press.

Needs to be benched. Overrated.

vangagal

He getting closer to Welbeck/Cleverly level than Beckham/Scholes. Needs to put his head down and enough with excuses. Its pathetic. If he needs moral support, go and seek help from Beckham. Beckham got it worse than him back then but his mentally was top notch. Right now, i dont want to see him on the pitch.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The Brain Freeze told us much about Rashford’s instincts as a forward.

Can the kind of instinct we’ve all seen from top forwards over the ages be learned or is it case of you either have it or you don’t? I’m not qualified to answer that but if it is the latter Rashford will go down in history as another promising young player who fizzled away during what should have been the peak of his career, little more than an object of curiosity as the football world moves on.
Spot on. It showed us he just isn't that kinda player. The much older Cavani or Ronaldo would have seized that opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.