Is there any way back into our side for Alexis Sanchez?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was thinking about this of late - clearly a massive issue is his fitness where injuries plagued his campaign last year. He was off the boil pretty much all the time and yet I can't help but remember how great he was prior to joining us.

The mood here is pessimistic and regarding him and I can't argue against that, especially with the great talent coming through seemingly with Greenwood/Gomes. But with what Ole said in recent pressers I can't help but hope he can find some form for us and play a role in some capacity.

To avoid any disagreements over interpretation I'll just paste the full transcript of Ole's answer regarding Sanchez in a press conference I think a week or so ago:

Solskjaer said: We know what he’s capable of. We have to find a way – me with Alexis, with the team – because there’s a top, top player there. If we get him firing, he can get us 20 goals easily if he gets on a good run.

“I don’t like talking about individuals too much, but Alexis has made headlines since he has come here. He had a fantastic time at Arsenal and we want to find him scoring goals at Old Trafford again. That can give us an extra boost.

“You saw it in the Copa America. The consistency hasn’t been there because he’s had some injuries. You see quality and you just hope that he’s going to get the consistency back into his game. He’s got a good chance now.”

Provided he stays fit and gets some confidence early he could be a fantastic option down the middle. Or is it all over for him? After the Copa America hamstring injury I gave up, but Ole said it was precautionary.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Starting 11 absolutely no chance. As a somewhat useful rotation/squad player option, sure, only if Lukaku leaves. Based on what he's shown so far though, any of the youth players like Chong/Gomes and especially Greenwood would have a much bigger impact in the side. So it'd have to be a massive change.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He won't have any chance unless he plays CF, I still reckon he could play that role very well but for some reason we just keep sticking him out on the wing where his declining pace is exposed. Doubt he will ever get a consistent run but unlike many here I think he'd surprise a lot of people with a consistent period up top.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Starting 11 absolutely no chance. As a somewhat useful rotation/squad player option, sure, only if Lukaku leaves. Based on what he's shown so far though, any of the youth players like Chong/Gomes and especially Greenwood would have a much bigger impact in the side. So it'd have to be a massive change.
I agree, his first obstacle will be to stay fit in training, then fight for a place. Will probably see him off the bench to begin with. But with all that great talent in youth I'm worried about the lack of experience. Sanchez when firing can bring that polished edge to our general play. Probably a pipe dream at this stage though.

AJ10

IMO only time he'll have good games is when he plays as a striker or behind striker, absolutely finished as a winger.

Robbie Boy

Considering he’s on like a billion p/w and we have no chance of shifting him, he’ll obviously get games.

R'hllor

You tell us, you said he is our future and Martial can feck off.

LoneStar

Regardless of how good he was, age and injuries have caught up with him.

He's a player who relies a lot on pace, aggression and physicality. Decline for such players is often very steep.

I think he's done. He hardly can stay fit anymore. He might still come up with a moment of magic, but it's not worth it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He should have been playing CF last season. I think he can be useful there this season. Not in our best 11 mind.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
His legs have gone. I’d give him a run up top competing with Rashford, but his time as an all action winger is well behind him.

marktan

If anyone still thinks he has something to offer after the last season and a half, well less said the better. He was diabolical, and the reason is that physically he's done.

eltigreFalcao

Ole seems to favour a 4231, where i believe Sanchez can be an improvement on Lingard in the behind the striker role, near the ball but with the goal in front

Crashoutcassius

My confidence in him is broken having gone through something similar with Rooney... we are very very unlucky in this case I think. He scored 50 goals or something 6 months before we signed him... he looked off in the lead up to the transfer but the narrative was that it was because he wanted a move... feels like we were unlucky here.

I've no confidence but it would only take 3-4 good games to change everyones mind

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hes just another massive let down. A bit like Falcao.... you know there was/is a superb player in there somewhere but just never see it

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm shocked we haven't sold him. I hope management has hinted that he will not have a place and he should accept any reasonable transfer. IMO he is done at the top levels and I do not want to play him to squeeze a few moments of brilliance here and there.

Bulldog United

I'm shocked we haven't sold him. I hope management has hinted that he will not have a place and he should accept any reasonable transfer. IMO he is done at the top levels and I do not want to play him to squeeze a few moments of brilliance here and there.
I'm not, given his huge salary and his ineffectiveness on the pitch towards the tailend of his time at Arsenal and now with us. He might accept a reasonable transfer as long as he's not out of pocket, i.e. we supplement whatever shortfall there would be in his wages at his new club compared to his current deal with us.

It's very difficult to move a player on who is paid far more than he's worth on a good contract.

Moriarty

I'm not. It would be easier to shift a 1982 Lada than Sanchez given the money he's on.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm not. It would be easier to shift a 1982 Lada than Sanchez given the money he's on.
I understand, however, players do want to play. I don't think he would stay at United and not play just for the money. The clock is ticking on his career and competitive players always want to play and prove they still have it. This is why I said our management needs to let him know there is no room for him in the squad and he needs to move on.

Moriarty

I understand, however, players do want to play. I don't think he would stay at United and not play just for the money. The clock is ticking on his career and competitive players always want to play and prove they still have it. This is why I said our management needs to let him know there is no room for him in the squad and he needs to move on.
He's just finished a tournament, picked up an injury, and won't really have a pre-season with the club. I can't see him getting much time in the opening part of the season. We might be able to loan him out to an Italian club but I think we're stuck with that massive contract.

CM

His best games for us have come through the middle so he might have a role as one of the backup strikers until we can move him on. He's fallen well short of the levels required to stake a claim for a first team place though, I can't see any way back for him there.

billybee99

Jesus people are stupid. How much more do you need to see from this guy before you accept that he is finished? We are literally going on 2 years since he has showed anything (1 1/2 years with us and 1/2 year, at least, with Arsenal). He is done. We made a massive mistake in signing him. It is what it is. There is no way in hell that guys like this (and Mata for that matter) should be taking up spots from the exciting young players we have coming through. It's time to move on.

Ace of Spades

We can't move him on because of his injuries and his stupid wages. We are stuck with him. Let us hope he can chip in with some goals and is useful. Him being fit first and foremost would be a positive.

lysglimt

Scout
Of course there is. If he can find the form he had in his Arsenal-days he would be guaranteed a place for us - the problem is, he can't find it.

El Zoido

Yes, it’s a long season and we need a squad. After all this I still don’t want to write him off, I still think he can be good for us. He’s struggled when the team has struggled.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Only as a striker, his legs have gone to do the running in wide areas. But then you'd need creators to feed him (or any CF for that matter) and at the moment we have only one in Pogba...

United Hobbit

Apparently he was good at the Copa America, were Chile utilising him differently to how we have been?

Hes becoming very injury prone which I dont think will help even if we can get him playing well again will it just be set back by him getting another injury?

At this moment in time if I was choosing he would be on cup and Europa duty, though I hope we treat the Europa how Jose did and aim to win it as its another option available for getting back in the CL.

ManchesterYoda

What I see when I watch Sanchez is that he gets frustrated with the lack of ability of his teammates and this is the main reason his own performances suffer. If our attack is much better this season and he is part of that attack, I think his performances will be better. It would be best for us to use him as central striker, if we are going to use him. He shouldn't start off at the top of the pecking order though.

AdamAdams

I'd like to see him and Lukaku gone and 1 in to replace them both

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

What I see when I watch Sanchez is that he gets frustrated with the lack of ability of his teammates and this is the main reason his own performances suffer. If our attack is much better this season and he is part of that attack, I think his performances will be better. It would be best for us to use him as central striker, if we are going to use him. He shouldn't start off at the top of the pecking order though.
I really hope you are right on the part in bold as I think a return of 1 measly League goal is totally unacceptable. I would expect that he will feel embarrassed by this, so hopefully this will spark something off in him to do better.

Ibi Dreams

It's not impossible, Falcao somehow managed to get back to a very good level after looking absolutely done when he played for us. But I doubt Sanchez will do the same

Dante

Average bang
Yes.

He'll look a lot better in this new system. Probably not back to his best, but certainly good enough to contribute.

AdamAdams

If he was that good, he'd rise above it and show more quality but he's looked one of the biggest problems. It seems a cheap shot blaming everyone else. If he stays, I hope I'm proved wrong but based on his first 18 months, I don't want him taking games off the likes of Chong or Greenwood.