Is there any way back?

Josep Dowling

The biggest problem at this club are the owners.
Nothing will change until they go. Failing that we should spend every last cent that we can squeeze out of them, even if it means massively overspending on players.
Some of us are woke aswell
Is it though? Sir Alex managed to build successful teams under the owners. They have provided significant funds and more than most clubs over the last few years. We can certainly find better owners but I don’t think they are the primary issue.

For me it’s, Woodward and Judge, player recruitment then Ole as manager. Woodward is the biggest issue because it would appear he has some say on transfers. And offers contracts extensions to players to keep their asset value, when the only value this club should care about is their value on the pitch . A man with no background in football should have no say on these decisions.

There is clearly no direction with our player recruitment because every manager has full reign so we have had a mish-mash of player bought for different playing styles.

And Ole simply isn’t good enough, you need the best manager you can get available. I will always like Ole but he’s not going to get us back challenging.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Is it though? Sir Alex managed to build successful teams under the owners. They have provided significant funds and more than most clubs over the last few years. We can certainly find better owners but I don’t think they are the primary issue.

For me it’s, Woodward and Judge, player recruitment then Ole as manager. Woodward is the biggest issue because it would appear he has some say on transfers. And offers contracts extensions to players to keep their asset value, when the only value this club should care about is their value on the pitch . A man with no background in football should have no say on these decisions.

There is clearly no direction with our player recruitment because every manager has full reign so we have had a mish-mash of player bought for different playing styles.

And Ole simply isn’t good enough, you need the best manager you can get available. I will always like Ole but he’s not going to get us back challenging.
This club was booming until the Glazers took over so the owners are the problem anyone who cannot see this is missing something. That clown Woodward needs to be taken off anything to do with the football side of things, for he has been controlling the whole club during the last years and he is the reason we are shit.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We finished above Liverpool less than 2 summers ago, and above Leicester last year. Of course there’s a way back, and despite all the pessimism it needn’t be a long slog either.

Footballing success isn’t actually as mystical and impenetrable as people like to believe. A good manager with the backing to buy good players will almost always yield a pretty good team. The longevity of this scenario is dependent on a lot of external factors - Mourinho, for example, fell out with players, stopped being backed and then wilfully self sabotaged... however when he was first appointed, and was given funds to spend, he did actually take us from a comparable position to now, up to 2nd and our highest points total since 2013 (not to mention reach 3 finals, winning 2)

This isn’t a defence of Jose, we were right to sack him, but his failure was ultimately a personal one, and not a mark against the entire idea of hiring big name coaches, which it’s currently (and bafflingly) being used as. He’s actually an example of that strategy working! And well! Albeit only short term. He was just the wrong individual.

I do genuinely think there are some things Ole’s done well. His blooding if youth, obviously, and his rehabilitation of the players frozen out by Jose. But he’s patently not a top level manager, and this idea that’s been instilled in people that we need aeons of patience and a drastic lowering of standards (from even the beginning of last season!) to expect any kind of competitive progress is nonsense. Because again, Liverpool were below us less than 20 months ago, yet now somehow they’re apparently unassailable for maybe decades? Get away... the right appointments can get us competing again relatively quickly, but we need to choose them smartly, obviously, and be ruthless, and swift in our pursuit, should they become available.

Because sticking with anyone less than a great manager for too long, will only cause more and more damage. Like it did at Liverpool and AC Milan.

Zlatattack

I feel our club is just rancid from top to bottom. Bloated squad devoid of any real quality. A manager who is championship level. Inept board and backroom staff. Not sure how we turn it around.
We're out 3 key players, one of whom is an academy kid with less than 50 professional appearances. When everyone is fit, our first 11 is reasonable, but could easily be improved. Our depth is non existent (in sense of quality not numbers). The manager has hit the peak of his career imo. You're right about the board.

It's a long way back.

Because sticking with anyone less than a great manager for too long, will only cause more and more damage. Like it did at Liverpool and AC Milan.
It's an excellent post Mockney and I agree with everything, including the positives, I only cut it down in order to highlight this.

It incredible how so many of our fans fail to see how damaging an average manager can be if kept in the job too long.

Josep Dowling

This club was booming until the Glazers took over so the owners are the problem anyone who cannot see this is missing something. That clown Woodward needs to be taken off anything to do with the football side of things, for he has been controlling the whole club during the last years and he is the reason we are shit.
Yes but we also had a very successful period between 2006-2011 under their ownership. As I said we can get much better owners and them not doing anything with Woodward is a major issue but with the funds that have been provided to the managers we should be top 3 without any issues.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
We finished above Liverpool less than 2 summers ago, and above Leicester last year. Of course there’s a way back, and despite all the pessimism it needn’t be a long slog either.

Footballing success isn’t actually as mystical and impenetrable as people like to believe. A good manager with the backing to buy good players will almost always yield a pretty good team. The longevity of this scenario is dependent on a lot of external factors - Mourinho, for example, fell out with players, stopped being backed and then wilfully self sabotaged... however when he was first appointed, and was given funds to spend, he did actually take us from a comparable position to now, up to 2nd and our highest points total since 2013 (not to mention reach 3 finals, winning 2)

This isn’t a defence of Jose, we were right to sack him, but his failure was ultimately a personal one, and not a mark against the entire idea of hiring big name coaches, which it’s currently (and bafflingly) being used as. He’s actually an example of that strategy working! And well! Albeit only short term. He was just the wrong individual.

I do genuinely think there are some things Ole’s done well. His blooding if youth, obviously, and his rehabilitation of the players frozen out by Jose. But he’s patently not a top level manager, and this idea that’s been instilled in people that we need aeons of patience and a drastic lowering of standards (from even the beginning of last season!) to expect any kind of competitive progress is nonsense. Because again, Liverpool were below us less than 20 months ago, yet now somehow they’re apparently unassailable for maybe decades? Get away... the right appointments can get us competing again relatively quickly, but we need to choose them smartly, obviously, and be ruthless, and swift in our pursuit, should they become available.

First off we do not have a great manager, and secondly we do not back the manager. And, also, Ole plays so many young players because he has no one else. Manchester United under the ownership of the Glazers has become a shadow of the great club it was.. Even the stadium is falling behind. Give the current Asshole owners another ten years and we will be another mid table club and the stadium will need a major refurbishment.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
As long as Woodward is involved there's only so much any manager will be able to do.

I can't figure out where I stand with Ole because it's impossible for anyone to do anything meaningful in his position without having someone competent above them.

Josep Dowling

Fantastic post, especially the bold part. I don’t get the logic of not hiring a world class manager.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Yes but we also had a very successful period between 2006-2011 under their ownership. As I said we can get much better owners and them not doing anything with Woodward is a major issue but with the funds that have been provided to the managers we should be top 3 without any issues.
We need a DOF or every single manager who comes in will have his own ideas and each one will contradict the other, whereas a DOF would have at least a plan.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
We need to bring in football people to run the football side of things. The Glazers can earn as much as they want for all I care but we need to act like a football club again and put on-pitch success first.
It doesn't have to take that long either but we need to make brave decisions and make drastic changes from top to bottom. A director of football with a short, medium and long term plan. A manager that's fit to manage Manchester United.
Fergie was all these things which masked a lot of the incompetence. But Fergie doesn't exist in modern football and we need to accept that.
Also our fans (especially the match going ones) need to stop accepting mediocrity and start demanding more from the club. I don't understand how they've been so patient, especially the Manchester based fanbase. I've lived in the city and I know what this club means.
All in all yes there's a way back, but we need to act now. People talk about Liverpool, the PL was less competitive then than it is now. Liverpool was still winning trophies and still a part of the top 4. We are at risk of getting stuck in mid table mediocrity and the more we let those rot set, the more difficult it will be to get back up again.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We need new owners. They couldn't even afford the club in the first place. They are out of their depth. The games changed so much because of this injection of rich owners. They have no idea what they're doing and of course they like Oles ideas..means they spend less. They need to sell the club. Maybe they interested in finding kids to sell for millions later then finding men ready now who have quality now to play for the club. They are a stain on the club.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Nothing will improve under this ownership. Minimum, we've got to change the structure of the club.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

I'm not sure though. Firstly it's hard to determine what a "great" manager is. Pep wasn't a great manager when he took over at Barcelona. Klopp wasn't a guarantee even when he came in at Liverpool, and outside of those two, there is no one else you can put in the "great" bracket. You're down to picking from the likes of Pochettino or Jose...managers who've failed at clubs with similar or less expectation than United, or who you know have a short shelf life and come with a guaranteed fallout/car crash ending. Basically, not great managers. Either that or you take a chance on an unknown as we have done.

The Chelsea model of just getting whichever big name they can at the time and then sacking them 2 years later kind of works for them, but I don't really like it. Their fans (and I mean the match going ones who are actually meant to support them, not the moaning ones on the internet) seem to spend half their time actively against their own team. Doesn't seem much fun. Chelsea also have a very good system in place above and around their manager, which remains consistent whoever the manager is. We have Woodward and his scout mate, who three of our managers in a row have proclaimed as being a major hurdle to them doing their jobs effectively.

I just don't see a quick fix because I think a quick fix means getting rid of Woodward and getting an actual strategy and system around that in place...and that doesn't necesarily mean getting rid of Ole and replacing him with someone else. It means giving him a platform where you can actually judge what he's doing properly. Rather than judging him on the basis of expecting to compete at the top of the league, when he has a squad with 2 senior goalscorers in it (senior being a stretch...one of them is barely 22) and 1 fit midfielder, and the club just sits there twiddling its thumbs and sending out press releases moaning that the players it wants cost money. This basically it would seem requires Woodward to sack himself, which wont happen as he is clearly not the self aware type (see yearly press release where he bleats on about why we failed to do this and that as if it was some deliberate strategy on his part).

Ole has two reliable midfielders, and the only reason he doesn't have 0 is because he got two players to perform a lot better than they did before he was here. He has 2 reliable forwards, and he only doesn't have 0 because he put faith in two players the previous manager wouldn't. The club have literally done NOTHING to help him. So for all his faults, I can't say he is failing. He is doing a job that is being made impossible for him.

Mourinho did fall out with people and become toxic, but he also told the club he needed better defenders, and the club signed Fred and then released a statement basically saying they disagreed with him, but then didn't replace him. That is incompetent. When there is incompetence at the top it will wear down whoever is working beneath it. It will wear down the manager and then that will eventually filter to the players, as happened with Mourinho, LVG, and as will happen, I suspect with Ole...unless the club get their finger out of their arse and put a strategy in place beyond Woodward playing football manager politics and pretending he isn't an idiot.

Going back to Klopp...probably the closest you get to a great manager. Well we tried to get him. He met Woodward and was put off by the fact Woodward is an idiot ("disneyland for football"). He was smart enough to understand he wouldn't succeed here because the guy above him didn't know what they were doing. That tells you a lot about where the route of the problem is, and unfortunately it is not going to go away as Woodward can keep hiding behind whichever manager he puts in the firing line. Ole goes to Anfield and loses with a team of players that even Sir Alex would struggle to get a fighting performance out of...and it will be Ole who gets the bulk of the criticism and who there are calls to sack, even though he has only signed 3 players and actually gotten a lot of the ones he's been left with to perform a lot better than they were previously.

Replace him with say, the equivalent of Klopp. In a year's time Klopp II goes to Anfield with the same set of players, plus whichever other two or three Woodward fumbled his way to signing, minus the two or three who left due to getting fed up in the meantime, and the same thing happens.

Last edited:

roykeane19

Our fans and owners are happy with mediocrity, so until either of those things changes.. no.
Yh exactly fans who boo Pogba , but cheer on all the other avergae players, just dont make sense to me, to boo your best player by a mile, while giving all the other crap a free ride, just because they run around and put in a "shift" becasue they arent very good at the footballing side of things

Cantonaaa!

This was supposed to be a post in the New Striker thread, but my rant ran out of control and I need to post this somewhere, get it out of my system before work tomorrow. Salah pulling off his shirt really got to me.

It says alot about the state of United when we couldn’t pull off Haaland. Ole was like a father to him for christ’s sake!
Erling and his actual father concluded that United are now a shit show, and they’d do wise to steer clear. Coming from Norway myself I’m totally convinced Ole really wanted his fellow countryman at Old Trafford.. Any excuses about Raiola etc are just lame as we have 10 times the financial muscles of Dortmund, apparently. No offence to BVB. Ed’s famous line ‘watch this space‘ still annoys me.

If we compare to other clubs of similar wealth, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, City etc, our squad is just not good enough, bar a few players, and in addition it’s paper thin. The whole club have collapsed post Fergie. The Glazers are milking us dry and the whole ‘no value’ thing have hurt us badly. Ironically it was Fergie who invented that bluff.
As a result our squad has Pereira and Dalot, instead of Bernado and Mané. That would probably be fine if our manager was stil SAF, but he’s not. Our current manager, or anyone else available for that matter, sadly can’t make John O’Shea play like Maldini in his prime, or even get Lingard to score.

Sadly, I don’t see how we fix this problem of attracting top tier players as long as we can’t cement our place in the top 4 season after season. The only quick fix imo is to throw silly money at some good players and hope they click, or get a manager as good as Guardiola, Klopp or Ferguson. Silly money attemts seem to have been abandoned, by the looks of it, although I’m not sure we ever tried it after watching Ed’s disappearance acts these last 5 transfer windows. Sure we bought slab head, I’ll give him that, but it’s not like he’s been amazing or anything. It’s hard to be amazing when half the first XI are just squad players essentially.
This new approach of Ole and Ed is just too slow and it might not even work. Sure there are positives like Williams and Rashford and Greenwood, but we’ll now lose Pogba because he’s realised we’re going nowhere, setting us back a mile.
Too add to the misery, I think it’s clear for everyone to see now how Ole and his team just aren’t top tier coaches, they’re making it up as they go along.

The worst part is we wasted huge amounts anyway, on overpriced mediocre players, instead of overpriced good players. Probably a lot more than if we’d just payed top dollar for top players from the get-go. You can debate all you want whether this manager or that manager should have gotten more time etc, but the truth is, if we’d bought top players all the way, even Moyes would have been a success (eventually). And that’s on the Glazers.

It’s starting to dawn on me how it took Liverpool 30 years to get back on top.. Jesus christ almighty have mercy, and kick Ed and the Glazers the feck out.

I’ll go and do some yoga now.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
We need new owners. They couldn't even afford the club in the first place. They are out of their depth. The games changed so much because of this injection of rich owners. They have no idea what they're doing and of course they like Oles ideas..means they spend less. They need to sell the club. Maybe they interested in finding kids to sell for millions later then finding men ready now who have quality now to play for the club. They are a stain on the club.
You are correct, they are a stain on the club, they have taken over United in order to make a lot of cash. They have no interest in football. But they love money. And in their pursuit of it they have managed to ruin one of the best football teams on the planet. bastards may it come back and haunt them. It will for sure.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What's frustrating is that while it seems unlikely anything does change under this ownership, it totally could. If only they wanted it to enough. If they did want better though you can be sure it'd be more obvious by now, so unless we somehow pull some great recruitment out of the hat it doesn't seem like we'll improve.

sparx99

Perhaps we need our cry baby support to give a re-build longer than a year.
We seem to only be tearing down though. Still waiting for the 'build' part to happen. This is Ole's 3rd transfer window and we still only have 3 new faces.

Mockney

As long as Woodward is involved there's only so much any manager will be able to do.

I can't figure out where I stand with Ole because it's impossible for anyone to do anything meaningful in his position without having someone competent above them.
Yes and no. Of course our incompetent board will create a ceiling of sorts for our potential, but that doesn’t mean we have to buy into this weird mythology we’ve invented for ourselves that we need to struggle in banter club mediocrity for 3-4 years, grateful for the occasional scalp, when both of the teams who’ve comprehensively dominated the last couple of league seasons were built in a relatively short span, from a starting position either equal to, or below, us!

Woodward’s problem is ironically the same problem a lot of our fanbase who hate him also share, which is an extreme reactionary attitude to problem solving. Moyes didn’t work and looked out of his depth? Let’s hire an aging but super experienced manager and give him lots of money! LVG didn’t work, and fans thought he was boring? Let’s hire someone with the complete polar opposite philosophy and also give him lots of money! Jose worked at first, but he fell out with our biggest most popular players? Let’s veto his transfer decisions. Now Jose’s gone mental and not worked? Let’s hire someone with the complete polar opposite managerial profile, but only temporarily. Ole’s on a winning streak and playing the kids? feck it, hire him! Also the big money thing didn’t work, so let’s only back him sparingly this time, and rely entirely on the kids..

It’s insane, and what’s more, people are buying it. The answer is obviously somewhere inbetween all of this... A good, reasonably high profile and accomplished manager, with an eye for youth but who we should back strongly when needed..

...but instead we’ve ended up with a huge swathe of the fanbase (and consequently the super fickle Woodward) going “meh, we’ve tried literally 4 things since our incredibly unique and singular 26 year managerial era ended, and none of them have worked out as planned... this obviously has nothing to do with the individual circumstances of each, so we should definitely never try anything like them again, and instead put all our eggs into this new basket we haven’t tried, because logic dictates that doing the opposite of things that didn’t work, must by virtue work, because clever.

Ole has a lot of unfortunate constraints not of his making, and an undeniably weak squad at his disposal (in relative terms), but the kind of manager Man Utd need, and is deserving of its status, isn’t one that requires a strong squad of World Class players to look even vaguely competitive... because that’s essentially just any manager!

Last edited:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I feel our club is just rancid from top to bottom. Bloated squad devoid of any real quality. A manager who is championship level. Inept board and backroom staff. Not sure how we turn it around.
Bloated squad? I agree we need some quality in the club, but bloated, I don't think so. Yes we have owners that are just making money, a man who has no football credentials basically running the club, yet we are fifth in the Premiership, still in all the cup competitions, and the manager is only championship standard? We have been without our top player for most of the season, has several other stalwarts of the team (McTominay, Martial) miss considerable parts of the season, our goalkeeper has made several costly errors, we've missed four penalties which has cost us points, so I find your comments strange. We certainly need new owners, and Woodward also needs to go, but unless we invest in the team we will gradually fall from grace into the abyss.

sparx99

We had Rooney and Ronaldo already developing before they bought us and a core of Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Neville, Brown, O'Shea etc. Value signings like Park, Vidic, Evra, Tevez and Van Der Sar were the key to success.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
My point is more that it can change within a couple of seasons. You can never say, that's it we're going to be shit for years.

Nobody knows the future. Ole could stay, get 3-4 players in the summer and we finish 2nd/ 3rd with an FA cup win.

Or, they sack him, bring in Poch and he changes the tactics, buys a couple of players and we finish top 4 with a cup.

It's not completely unfeasible.

All I see is lesser teams improving all the time and we’re regressing. You say it’s impossible to see into the future but I’m pretty certain we won’t win anything for years under these owners, the feckwit Woodward and Ole.

As of now we are a 4th-8th place club and that won’t miraculously change with a few signings in the summer.

Jibbs

We will have to throw in silly money now... but at least throw the silly money at right players.... Fernandes is one good player we are after, so will be Neves if we go for him and so will be Soumare.
Pogba is as good as gone and it would have been ideal if he was sold last year.
Get in a young striker like Eduoard or Osimhen, may be Werner if he wants to come. Get a left back in and a defender.
Both Koulibaly and Ben Chilwell are gettable in players plus cash deals.
I would play a gamble on Ousmane Dembele and try to get him on a season long loan with option to buy.

So... ins

Edouard 40m
Ousmane Dembele (on loan)
Fernandes 60/65 m
Neves 65/70 m
Soumare 35/40 m
Ben Chilwell 50 m
Koulibaly 60 m

Total: 320 m

Outs:
Pogba 100m
Smalling 15m
Bailly 5 m
Shaw 20 m
Rojo 5 m
Matic free
Lingard 15 m

Total outs: 160 m

Net spend: 160 m

The situation we are in and considering last year our net spend was next to nothing. I think if Ed and our Board have a semblance of shame or they actually want to compete for titles, a net spend of 150 to 200 m should be on the cards before the start of next season.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Bloated squad? I agree we need some quality in the club, but bloated, I don't think so. Yes we have owners that are just making money, a man who has no football credentials basically running the club, yet we are fifth in the Premiership, still in all the cup competitions, and the manager is only championship standard? We have been without our top player for most of the season, has several other stalwarts of the team (McTominay, Martial) miss considerable parts of the season, our goalkeeper has made several costly errors, we've missed four penalties which has cost us points, so I find your comments strange. We certainly need new owners, and Woodward also needs to go, but unless we invest in the team we will gradually fall from grace into the abyss.
We will soon be flying out of all those cups, we are run by people who do not give a shit if they win anything. They just need the profit.

Josep Dowling

We had Rooney and Ronaldo already developing before they bought us and a core of Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Neville, Brown, O'Shea etc. Value signings like Park, Vidic, Evra, Tevez and Van Der Sar were the key to success.
And if we had decent player recruitment we can do the same under their ownership with the funds they have allowed managers to spend. The problem is we have a terrible negotiator in Woodward, seem to identify the most obvious of targets who are expensive and target one player for a position.

Dr. StrangeHate

We might be in top 4 this time next month. Chelsea play arsenal Leicester us and spurs.

Season is better than last in many ways. People have lost sight of how far back we're coming from
We were 2nd two seasons back and were 6th last season. We are 5th now. What do you mean by how far back. Our current team will lose to Jose's United.

ravi2

Until there are fan boycotts and stadium walkouts, nothing will change.
We might have to get relegated to get rid of the Glazers, till then its mediocrity.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only way it happens is if the club dies first basically.

While the Glazers can keep coining in the cash they'll be happy to run us on a budget and keep taking the profits.

We will need to have an AWFUL time and the fans basically stop giving them any money. No fans going to matches, no buying shirts, sponsor items etc.

They'll eventually stop making money and sell - only at that point can we get back to normal (it feels like)

Realistically we are a few good signings and a top coach away. We've shown we can go toe to toe with "the best team in the world", we could get even closer if we had some rapid investment that the team desperately needs.

Somehow we are just hanging in there, but we're papering the cracks massively.

sparx99

And if we had decent player recruitment we can do the same under their ownership with the funds they have allowed managers to spend. The problem is we have a terrible negotiator in Woodward, seem to identify the most obvious of targets who are expensive and target one player for a position.
Yeah, true. Woodward and Judge and some fans need to get over the prices somewhat though. We're always going to pay a Man Utd tax. We are like the Chinese clubs in that everyone knows we have the money.

Paul_Scholes18

We are like a stage 4 cancer patient.
We removed the bacteria infection in Mourinho. Still got Pogba the virus. Have parasite owners. Removed insomnia problems with LVG.
Although Ole is the first cancer around here because he is attacking the club by lowering standards and ambitions which can have big negative cultural effects.

Also got the worst medical team around so not sure we are going to find the cure.

SER19

We were 2nd two seasons back and were 6th last season. We are 5th now. What do you mean by how far back. Our current team will lose to Jose's United.
Well if you want to talk about the new manager then as far back as when he took over. Beyond league position, I don't care if johannn cruyff is in charge, nobody is inheriting the mess and disorder of 6 years and having United NEAR the top. It's a truly absurd notion. Even klopp had some form of progressive groundwork by Rodgers.

The role of the current manager, whoever it is, is to rebuild a squad while trying to implement a style and culture at the club that can be built on.

This needs to be reviewed then upgraded. For me, solskjaer should be starting the next season with a squad he feels will demonstrate the absolute best he can offer this club. If he falls short then,he should go.

But 14 months ago the morale of the entire club top to bottom was zero. We had Fellaini, lukaku, Smalling, darmian, young, Valencia. Young. Sanchez was delivering the worst performances ever at the club. None of these players are with us now. rashford looked like a total anti climax. We still have remnants of an appalling recruitment policy.

Everyone has their own targets for a manager. The terrible regimes of the previous 3 altered my aim for instant success completely. For my money, solskjaer is revamping the squad well enough to deserve another summer particularly given truly awful luck with injuries. If we get top 4 in my opinion it's not even a question he should stay on.

Pennywise

Until we get owners who care and a proper manager then we'll continue to be a joke

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes and no. Of course our incompetent board will create a ceiling of sorts for our potential, but that doesn’t mean we have to buy into this weird mythology we’ve invented for ourselves that we need to struggle in banter club mediocrity for 3-4 years, grateful for the occasional scalp, when both of the teams who’ve comprehensively dominated the last couple of league seasons were built in a relatively short span, from a starting position either equal to, or below, us!

Woodward’s problem is ironically the same problem a lot of our fanbase who hate him also share, which is an extreme reactionary attitude to problem solving. Moyes didn’t work and looked out of his depth? Let’s hire an aging but super experienced manager and give him lots of money! LVG didn’t work, and fans thought he was boring? Let’s hire someone with the complete polar opposite philosophy and also give him lots of money! Jose worked at first, but he fell out with our biggest most popular players? Let’s veto his transfer decisions. Now Jose’s gone mental and not worked? Let’s hire someone with the complete polar opposite managerial profile, but only temporarily. Ole’s on a winning streak and playing the kids? feck it, hire him! Also the big money thing didn’t work, so let’s only back him sparingly this time, and rely entirely on the kids..

It’s insane, and what’s more, people are buying it. The answer is obviously somewhere inbetween all of this... A good, reasonably high profile and accomplished manager, with an eye for youth but who we should back strongly when needed..

...but instead we’ve ended up with a huge swathe of the fanbase (and consequently the super fickle Woodward) going “meh, we’ve tried literally 4 things since our incredibly unique and singular 26 year managerial era ended, and none of them have worked out as planned... this obviously has nothing to do with the individual circumstances of each, so we should definitely never try anything like them again, and instead put all our eggs into this new basket we haven’t tried, because logic dictates that doing the opposite of things that didn’t work, must by virtue work, because clever.
It's not three or four years though. It's a permanent position as long as what's above the manager stays the same. Jose got us to 2nd but in his own words it was "the greatest achievement of his career" and a "miracle"...I get he's full of shite but Jose is a guy obsessed with winning. He wouldn't be moaning about why he's going to fail if he felt the club were giving him a chance not to. He was moaning about how the club is run literally within 2 weeks of starting the job.

Honestly I don't know where to start with what Woodward's problem is. There are just so many glaring examples at this point that he may as well have "idiot" printed on his forhead. We've had insights from LVG into how he works and it just sounds beyond belief to me. He seems more like a poundshop politician/car salesman than anything else. He is just bluffing his way through it. Even this week, we release a statement to the press saying we wont pay the fee Sporting want for Fernandez because we "have other targets"...he is treating another football club like it is run by absolute imbeciles. He's literally showing us all what an idiot he is, right now.

I get Ole has no pedigree really, but how do you even, fairly, judge what Ole has done since taking over? He came in, produced a turnaround in results and performances. Then in the summer, players want to leave, aren't replaced. Players we want to sign aren't signed. His most valuable player has been injured all season. With everyone fit he can barely field a team strong enough to realistically expect top four. The club couldn't even sign a kid who he basically brought up through his own youth system and who would probably jump at the chance to play under him here...a player who's family he is literally friends with! He's spent half a season switching between Lingard and Pereira depending on which one is the best at doing nothing, and the club sits there bickering over a relatively modest fee to bring in a player who will literally solve this problem even if they turn out to be not that good. He's asking for help and getting nothing, and whether it's Ole, Sir Alex, Allardyce, Pep, etc. They would NEED help to succeed here.

I hold out small hope for change because Woodward is clearly an obstacle that would need to be removed and I honestly don't think he even thinks he's doing anything wrong. When you read quotes, press releases, etc. He just sounds like a politician. It's never strategy or "here's our plan"...it's always "this is why we did this" or "this is why we didn't sign this player we obviously should have signed and why we were right not to"...just delusional spin nonsense, every time.

You know, we can debate what the right strategy would be all we want, but it is irrelevant really. Debating the strategy the club needs to take while Woodward is in charge of the strategy, is a bit like debating how a monkey might deploy a strategy to defeat a super computer at a game of chess. In reality, it's a monkey. Even if you told it the strategy it's still just going to put some of the pieces in its mouth then take a shit on the board.

Mockney

I'm not sure though. Firstly it's hard to determine what a "great" manager is. Pep wasn't a great manager when he took over at Barcelona. Klopp wasn't a guarantee even when he came in at Liverpool, and outside of those two, there is no one else you can put in the "great" bracket. You're down to picking from the likes of Pochettino or Jose...managers who've failed at clubs with similar or less expectation than United, or who you know have a short shelf life and come with a guaranteed fallout/car crash ending. Basically, not great managers. Either that or you take a chance on an unknown as we have done.
Klopp and Pep are quite clearly both great managers. Pep may have a few question marks by virtue of his elite privileged varsity CV, but it’s undoubted that he’s managed to instil a very recognisable style of play at all of these clubs. Furthermore City finished level on points with us the year he was appointed, and despite his admittedly ridiculous outlay, it nevertheless took him just one season to get them playing his way to devastating effect.

Klopp joined Liverpool when they were even further below us, when we were regularly accused of being “in crisis”... and despite the best efforts of people on this forum to pretend it took him ages to make his mark, he actually reached the Europa final in his first season, and was on a pretty noticeable upward curve with every passing year... ironically only curtailed when we appointed Jose. Both were examples of good managers not taking particularly long to make their teams a success, with one ultimately only being brought low by their own personal deficiencies, rather than the legitimacy of their professional ones.

The Chelsea model of just getting whichever big name they can at the time and then sacking them 2 years later kind of works for them, but I don't really like it. Their fans (and I mean the match going ones who are actually meant to support them, not the moaning ones on the internet) seem to spend half their time actively against their own team. Doesn't seem much fun. Chelsea also have a very good system in place above and around their manager, which remains consistent whoever the manager is. We have Woodward and his scout mate, who three of our managers in a row have proclaimed as being a major hurdle to them doing their jobs effectively.
No one is saying we should do this. Again, it’s an example of this weird reactionary rationale, where the fear of one thing, requires us to pivot dramatically to the diametric opposite!

Also, in some small sense, we do nevertheless need to make our peace with a form of this. Ferguson’s lengthy mercurial tenure is never going to be repeated. Never! We have to accept this. The worst thing we can do is keep desperately trying to recreate it. It’s exactly what ruined Liverpool’s boot room in the 90s.

Going forward, especially as a big club, we need to accept that there’s going to be a lot of regime changes over the years. A lot more than we’re used to. Hopefully not too many, and ideally some longer than others, but it’s going to happen. It’s not evil. It’s simply what every other club has been doing for the last quarter of a century.

I just don't see a quick fix because I think a quick fix means getting rid of Woodward and getting an actual strategy and system around that in place...and that doesn't necesarily mean getting rid of Ole and replacing him with someone else. It means giving him a platform where you can actually judge what he's doing properly. Rather than judging him on the basis of expecting to compete at the top of the league, when he has a squad with 2 senior goalscorers in it (senior being a stretch...one of them is barely 22) and 1 fit midfielder, and the club just sits there twiddling its thumbs and sending out press releases moaning that the players it wants cost money. This basically it would seem requires Woodward to sack himself, which wont happen as he is clearly not the self aware type (see yearly press release where he bleats on about why we failed to do this and that as if it was some deliberate strategy on his part).
There’s a chasmic difference between “a quick fix” and “it’ll take 3-4 years before we start to see progress. Just be patient. The lowest win percentage in a century is fine because Jesse Lingard, or something.”

Ole has two reliable midfielders, and the only reason he doesn't have 0 is because he got two players to perform a lot better than they did before he was here. He has 2 reliable forwards, and he only doesn't have 0 because he put faith in two players the previous manager wouldn't. The club have literally done NOTHING to help him. So for all his faults, I can't say he is failing. He is doing a job that is being made impossible for him.
“Not failing” is an incredibly low bar for a Manchester United manager, and a grace that would never be afforded to a non-former playing legend. Regardless of whether a record low win percentage with a side who finished 2nd within a mere two iPhone cycles, and deliberately sanctioned the sale of several squad players without replacing them, can be reasonably considered “not failing”, tbf...

Mourinho did fall out with people and become toxic, but he also told the club he needed better defenders, and the club signed Fred and then released a statement basically saying they disagreed with him, but then didn't replace him. That is incompetent. When there is incompetence at the top it will wear down whoever is working beneath it. It will wear down the manager and then that will eventually filter to the players, as happened with Mourinho, LVG, and as will happen, I suspect with Ole...unless the club get their finger out of their arse and put a strategy in place beyond Woodward playing football manager politics and pretending he isn't an idiot.
I agree absolutely. Woodward fecked Mourinho. But at the same time, he was weirdly also right? Because if we’d sold Pogba and Martial and bought Willian and Peresic, I doubt we’d be in a much better position!... Plus, the fact Jose’s early pre-meltdown tenure was a relative success, kinda proves the possibility of success under the right, suitable kind of good manager. Does it not? We finished 2nd and reached the final of every cup we entered bar one under the wrong manager... how is falling to “were a decade away from competing, accept it” in under 2 years anything but a fecking huge failure!?

Going back to Klopp...probably the closest you get to a great manager. Well we tried to get him. He met Woodward and was put off by the fact Woodward is an idiot ("disneyland for football"). He was smart enough to understand he wouldn't succeed here because the guy above him didn't know what they were doing. That tells you a lot about where the route of the problem is, and unfortunately it is not going to go away as Woodward can keep hiding behind whichever manager he puts in the firing line. Ole goes to Anfield and loses with a team of players that even Sir Alex would struggle to get a fighting performance out of...and it will be Ole who gets the bulk of the criticism and who there are calls to sack, even though he has only signed 3 players and actually gotten a lot of the ones he's been left with to perform a lot better than they were previously.
But it’s been a year now? We’re still losing 2 games a month with no discernible style of play!
It’s absolutely Woodward’s fault for being unable to recognise any of the many talented up and coming modern managers out there, by virtue of being an accounting gnome rather than a football man... but that doesn’t mean we should accept Ole as the best we can do. Surely, if anything, that’s the most exonerating pro-Woodward stance you could possible take? He’s relying on that take, in fact. He gains nothing by having to walk back his impulsive permanent appointment of a likeable novice. He’s more than happy to wait this out in the desperate deluded hope that the gambit will work out, and he can ultimately take the credit. And it’s bizzare just how many fans are champing at the bit to go along with this!

Replace him with say, the equivalent of Klopp. In a year's time Klopp II goes to Anfield with the same set of players, plus whichever other two or three Woodward fumbled his way to signing, minus the two or three who left due to getting fed up in the meantime, and the same thing happens.
Surely the equivalent of Klopp would manage to make us a great and competitive team again? Considering how the actual Klopp managed to do that with a club who hadnt won the league for 3 decades, were a perpetual punchline, finished below us when he was appointed, and below us again less than 2 years ago, how are we even entertaining the notion that the idea of even somewhat competiting with them again is some comically absurd fantasy!? We‘re the only side to take points off them this season! I’m even pretty sure we’ve beaten Klopp more than he’s beaten us in his tenure. Under three different managers! (citation needed) by all rights “the equivalent of Klopp” can only be an upgrade on these stats!

how have we normalised this absurd idea that the teams who’ve leap frogged us in a flash, are now so far ahead that we need to accept a couple of Ls a month and no discernibly obvious coaching as just simply where we are now... and will be for 3-4 years... because we also shouldn’t be overspending anymore either... so buying 3 British players a year on the slow road to ideologically pure progress, and keeping our fingers crossed for an unexpected away win at Spurs, is just who we are now. And you’re a bad bad fan to be so negative about it!

feck that! The right, progressive modern manager, backed in the same way we backed Jose and LVG, would get us competitive again by the back end of next season...

Last edited: