Is Thiago Silva this generation's best CB?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He was shocking on his return against the Dutch though. RVP and Robben made him look very poor.
True, but the 3rd place play-off has always been a glorified and meaningless friendly.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
His reputation has suffered because of going to PSG but he was very impressive in the 2014 World Cup and when he didn't play, the 7-1 happened.

He would have fit in great at either Real or Barca.

Also noteworthy is the list in the OP shows how relatively poor the CBs are today. Now they play higher lines and the game is more attacking than it used to be (80s and 90s) but still I'd back some of the older players to easily standout today

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
His brainfart in the quarter final of the last Worldcup which led to his suspension immediately disqualifies him from even being in the run for it. Not in the top 10, probably not even top 15 for me.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s also been at fault for a couple of PSG CL exits hasn’t he?

Andersons Dietician

Feel like he peaked at Milan. At one point he probably was the best CB around but Bonnuci, Chiellini surpassed him. Ramos is a weird one. Doesnt read play well or anticipate stuff but his recovery to rectify his mistake is top notch but i’m Reluctant to say he is the best CB around.

TooSweet

Thiago Silva for me just didn't do anything to qualify for best in generation tag after leaving Milan. For his best feat people keep brining up 7-1 which wouldn't happen with him. Its damning that the best people remember about him is his absence from a game. I really don't remember him having a great performance in big CL or International games, and he had quite a few brainfarts in big games. I think every one still remembers his potential from Milan days and how he was set up to be Nesta's heir but that fizzled out and I am pretty sure he is behind the likes of Ramos, Godin, Chiellini, Puyol, Pique etc.

SambaBoy

Definitely wouldn't say Ramos was one of the top CB's of this generation. And its mainly down to his mindset and concentration.

In the big games, he will most likely be MOM or score an important goal because he's focused, wants to impress and his desire to win is unmatched. In contrast, in the smaller La Liga games he often makes stupid mistakes that shouldn't be happening and doesn't focus too much on defending. For me, a defender should want to defend all the time and seem to enjoy, like someone like Vidic or Walter Samuel, throwing their head at anything in the 90th min when their team is 4-0 up. They take massive pride in a clean sheet and it means so much to them, I don't get that impression from Ramos.

In terms of talent, then yes he would be up there but still not at the top but when comparing him to the greats of the last 10-15 years in terms of who is the best defender, I'm not sure he would make my top 10.

Alfie092

Since 2010 I would have in no particular order, Godin, Ramos, Pepe, Pique, Boateng, Chiellini and maybe even Bonucci ahead of Thiago.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Thiago Silva tends to be underrated nowadays but when it comes to defending he's second to none in his generation.

You can point out his lack of major trophies or question his leadership but not his defensive ability.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think every one still remembers his potential from Milan days and how he was set up to be Nesta's heir
The Thiago Silva of Milan was on the level of Stam, Nesta and co. A one man defence unto himself

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The Thiago Silva of Milan was on the level of Stam, Nesta and co. A one man defence unto himself
Yes. I thin he was the best central defender in the world between 2011 and 2013. :drool:

A minor injury in 2013 marked the beginning of the end: he started to become more conservative, less offensive and tenacious man-to-man marking.

Bojan11

One of the few PSG players I felt sorry for that he couldn’t win the champions league.

Will be interesting to see how he does in the prem.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
One of the few PSG players I felt sorry for that he couldn’t win the champions league.

Will be interesting to see how he does in the prem.
He deserves one throughout his carreer, but I guess going to PSG for money hurt his chances. Could have gone to to proper club instead.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
When he first went to Milan i was certain he'd be the best CB of his era. He was a complete defender. Excellent on the ball, strong in the air and in the tackle. Terrific reading of the game. Going to PSG hurt his legacy and made people forget about him to a degree. He's still been quality for years at the end of the day though

Vernon Philander

Definitely in the conversation, top 5 of this generation. Ahead of the likes of Pique and Ramos based on pure defensive ability.

Son

Ramos and Pique have been the two best. Both won bigger titles & have consistently started for the two best clubs of the past 10 years, year-in and year-out.

Ramos takes first spot but Pique has been a rock for Barcelona. Gets underrated because the expectations are ridiculous at that club.

rollingstoned1

Ramos takes first spot but Pique has been a rock for Barcelona. Gets underrated because the expectations are ridiculous at that club.
Pique has to be one of the most overrated cbs over the past decade. Gets rated on default just because he plays for Barca where even an out of position Mascherano can coast there. He gets destroyed almost as much as Ramos without having those clutch goals in the oppo box to rate him on force of personality alone. The only other guy who gave me that feeling is Bonucci. None hold a candle to the defenders of the first decade of this century and the 90s.

RooneyLegend

Easily at that. There's quite a gap between him in the second best center back of the past decade.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yes - Career peak 2010-2013 - Unplayable for any striker

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He deserves one throughout his carreer, but I guess going to PSG for money hurt his chances. Could have gone to to proper club instead.
He didn't even want to sign for PSG, so the going there for money line makes no sense.
Him and Ibra were basically sold by Milan and forced to move since Milan needed the money.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Easily at that. There's quite a gap between him in the second best center back of the past decade.
Agree with that. Watched some Milan & early PSG stuff recently, and the level he played at just blew me away. I rate the best of this CB generation higher than most here, but at his peak he was just the perfect defender.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's a great CB but I honestly don't get the hype around him being called the best in the world. He was obviously going to win titles with PSG given their strength, but other than this season never accomplished much outside of French/Italian competitions, either with AC Milan or PSG.

I wouldn't really say any CB is by far the greatest of this generation. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Ramos, Boateng, Pique, Silva, Bonnuci, Godin, VvD, Varane, Chiellini, Hummels all are top class defenders during this last decade (pretty sure I'm missing a few others).

My top 3 for would be Ramos, Boateng and Bonnuci.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Was quite a well know story at the time, a while ago now though so don't have any links today
Him and Ibra were sold as Milan needed the money and both were not impressed

RooneyLegend

He's a great CB but I honestly don't get the hype around him being called the best in the world. He was obviously going to win titles with PSG given their strength, but other than this season never accomplished much outside of French/Italian competitions, either with AC Milan or PSG.

I wouldn't really say any CB is by far the greatest of this generation. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Ramos, Boateng, Pique, Silva, Bonnuci, Godin, VvD, Varane, Chiellini, Hummels all are top class defenders during this last decade (pretty sure I'm missing a few others).

My top 3 for would be Ramos, Boateng and Bonnuci.
What are his weaknesses?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
As much as his defending isn’t peak John Terry, it has to go to Sergio Ramos. Defined the modern day ball playing CB role, scored a tonne of clutch goals and has won 4 CL’s, 2 European Cups and the WC. No one comes close imo, regardless of his questionable defending at times and poor disciplinary record.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
As much as his defending isn’t peak John Terry, it has to go to Sergio Ramos. Defined the modern day ball playing CB role, scored a tonne of clutch goals and has won 4 CL’s, 2 European Cups and the WC. No one comes close imo, regardless of his questionable defending at times and poor disciplinary record.
If you say John Terry, then I say Nesta

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He didn't even want to sign for PSG, so the going there for money line makes no sense.
Him and Ibra were basically sold by Milan and forced to move since Milan needed the money.
:lol: He was there for 8 years. It's a very long time to be not liking there.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
:lol: He was there for 8 years. It's a very long time to be not liking there.
He warmed up to PSG but it is true he was against a move. Also kept wearing Milan shinpads in his first year or so in France. That did not sit well with PSG fans.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Hes still class.
Wont play every game but his leadership is much needed.
A keeper is still a must.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The story is that he didn't want to move and Milan had to convince him, they needed the money and he accepted, the rumour going as far as to claim that he was crying when they told him that they had to sell him but he denies the crying part.