Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

ChaddyP

i can remember most world cups from about 94... 98 will always be my favourite as it was most memorable as Jamaica were in it and it had Ronaldo Zidane finale , but my word what a world cup this has been. The games have been great, the stories, the goals, the fascilities its been a joy, and being around christmas time just an icing on the cake. This was probably the greatest Final i have ever seen.

having the World cup so condenced in this tiny country also made it really special, reminded me of an olympic village where everyone was so close and connected. I stark contrast to the next one that will be in about 3 different time zones. Well done to all involved

DeGea

Very family friendly as well due to no alcohol in the stands - great idea by Qatar despite all the criticism. Some of the media outlets will be eating some humble pie after this.

slored1

As much as it pains me to say it, this might have been the best WC of all time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Best tournament. It's been a shame of what's surrounded the tournament it with the contraversy but the football over-delivered. Rio Ferdinand made a good point about being fatigued at the end of the season and going to a world cup, the winter period seems to have kept teams refreshed throughout most of the rounds.
It’s been brilliant entertainment but the actual quality hasn’t been great. Lots of very good teams playing well below their usual standards. So I would disagree with Rio. Still, though, the fact that all the teams were so flawed probably added to the drama.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very family friendly as well due to no alcohol in the stands - great idea by Qatar despite all the criticism. Some of the media outlets will be eating some humble pie after this.
Indeed. What a fun tournament, lacked atmosphere but no drunken yobs for once

oneway

Well done Qatar you did a great job now come and transform Utd

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
People need to stop being neanderthals and accept that the football on display and the host nation are two separate things. This goes for both "sides".

You can praise the feck out of this tournament and still call Qatar a shit regime that never should have been allowed to host it. That is what I'm going to do going forwards anyways.

Parma Dewol

Very family friendly as well due to no alcohol in the stands - great idea by Qatar despite all the criticism.
There’s no alcohol allowed in the stands at OT, yet it doesn’t deter the drunken yobs.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Friday I said I watch the WC's since 1990 and for me the best ones I watched were 1994 and 1998. I keep that opinion even after this Final because you can't measure a entire tournament only based on the Final.

But having watched all the Finals this one was the best, even if strange, because during 80 minutes Argentina was far superior to France but then everything that was on the script blew up.

At the end the best team won, today and during the knockouts Argentina was the team who progressed more after the Australia match.

One thing is for sure, and my historic here proves that I never wasn't one type of Messi fanboy here, even my participations on the Messi vs Ronaldo thread were more to have fun than not because I never liked the way some segments of the Press were nauseating about him.

Having said that, and even knowing Zidane on 2006 was 33 or 34 years old, I don't think it's possible to imagine a 35 years old top player in the future repeating the kind of things he did in this last 3 games, there's no stats or data to quantify this, it's really stuff from other planet,and I say this as someone who for the first time in his life was supporting France but in the end wasn't annoyed how the game ended.

In the end better than this WC since 1990 for me: 1994, 1998, 2006, 2014. Best Final 2022 without discussion.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nice upsets.
Awesome finale.
Shite atmosphere with uneven crowds.

7/10 world cup.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's the best final I've ever seen in 32 years of watching WC football. An instant classic.

This WC has been great.

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
Best world cup i've seen (first was 2006). Considering what's at stake and number of viewers worldwide, I dare to say this final was the best and most exciting sporting event in history. It was the perfect end.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Round of 16 and Semifinals were poor. The Group stage and Quarterfinals were good to very good. The final was a classic and probably the best ever. But I'm not sure it deserves to be called the best ever WC. Especially when you factor in the negative surroundings (flat athmosphere, politicization etc.). it has been a good one though.

redshaw

Iconic World Cups for me have been Mexico 86 and Italia 90. For drama, story and emotion on display I think this is right up there. A knock for Italia 90 is how poor the final was.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Glad of the result. I correctly predicted Europe would not lift the trophy. Congratulations to Argentina.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Glad it's over. The football was entertaining but everything else about this World Cup felt wrong to me.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant World Cup, best I’ve seen.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's up there. Group stages had good moments, Morocco in the knockouts, great final.

Kopral Jono

It peaked during the second and third round of group stage games after a slow start, then it lost plenty of steam somewhere in the second round. The quarterfinals started off with a bang only to crash down again and the semifinals went as overwhelmingly expected. Bar a final for the ages on Sunday it's been somewhat of a reboot of the 2002 edition, I would say -- not the best but not the worst, either, with some very memorable moments thanks to Japan, Morocco and the ref in the Holland v Argentina game.

It's still A LOT better than 2010 but this isn't saying much. Every World Cup is better than 2010.
That should settle it -- officially better than 2002. Overall I'm sticking to my guns, though, that it was an average-to-good World Cup with memorable moments in it. In my humble opinion: 1998 > 2018 > 2006 = 2014 = 2022 > 2002 > > > > > 2010.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Might start a thread asking if Utd have the worst owners of all time.