Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

Cloud7

Can somebody please upload pics / gifs / videos of Luis Suarez learning that Uruguay are knocked out in order to seduce me into watching the WC…

Did he cry? Please, say he cried.
I didn’t get to see the end of the match, but the camera panned to him like the moment SK scored, and it looked like that was the moment when the tears began forming. It was great.

edcunited1878

No team won all their group stage matches. In 2018, there were 3 teams who had 9 from 9.

5 teams had zero or 1 point. In 2018, there were 6 teams with zero or 1 point.

20 draws during the group stage in Qatar and 18 draws in 2018.

120 group stages goals and 122 group stage goals in 2018.

There are no clear top teams in Qatar outside of possibly Brazil, but there seemed to be a lot more upsets or meaningful matches and results in match 2 and 3, which saw everyone drop points. The tangible output is similar to Russia, without dominant group stage teams. Let's see how the knockout stages go before having a final verdicts on overall quality.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Change from H2H to GD for first tiebreaker had done wonders for the drama

Frank Grimes

Best group stage in my time watching since Italia 90. Amazing drama last few days.

Can't believe they have found the perfect formula and are going to dilute the quality for next World cup.

Zen86

There aren’t any particularly great or exciting teams, but the drama has been fun. Not so much quality, although it’s been entertaining.

RopersReturn

I think it’s a dog of a of tournament. The stadium’s are half empty, dodgy VAR decisions and Brazil are so nailed on to win it, before we’ve even reached the knock out stages.

Cloud7

It's good to see our players among the goals. It may be my imagination but I feel like for most of the post SAF era we never really had many players with much international presence

Josh 76

Best group stage in my time watching since Italia 90. Amazing drama last few days.

Can't believe they have found the perfect formula and are going to dilute the quality for next World cup.
Brazil 2014 was the best ever group games.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Definitely one of the best group stages I can remember seeing. I don’t think any of the sides are nailed on to win either at least not to the extent France were last time around.

Sylar

Change from H2H to GD for first tiebreaker had done wonders for the drama
I agree GD should be the first tie breaker and adds to the drama

Just wondering Would it have made any difference to the teams that went through ?

Hulme91

I think it’s a dog of a of tournament. The stadium’s are half empty, dodgy VAR decisions and Brazil are so nailed on to win it, before we’ve even reached the knock out stages.
How are Brazil nailed on exactly? You've got 6 teams left who are all on a similar level, it's the most open World Cup in a while

I swear people just lose their minds when they see a green and yellow jersey at a World Cup :lol:

Reactions: Rood

KeanoMagicHat

How are Brazil nailed on exactly? You've got 6 teams left who are all on a similar level, it's the most open World Cup in a while

I swear people just lose their minds when they see a green and yellow jersey at a World Cup :lol:
Yeah 3 goals in 3 games, really proved they’re unbeatable so far…

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I agree GD should be the first tie breaker and adds to the drama

Just wondering Would it have made any difference to the teams that went through ?
GD definitely promotes attacking football. Look at Korea scoring in 91 mins to progress. In another scenario they could have been out no matter what. H2H should be a last resort when GD, GS etc are all equal.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I think the lack of top level quality (not sure about one of the worst quality World Cups mind you) is one of the reasons the World Cup has been entertaining. It feels like the nations are as close to one another in terms of quality as they have ever been. I think club football has spoilt us in terms of the tempo and the technical level we are used to seeing on a weekly basis.
And I think teams will get closer and closer as the years go by in terms of quality. A lot of the players play with or against each other in the top leagues
Around.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

It's a rare occasion when Brazil aren't "nailed on" - but the reality is they aren't often as good as they are made out to be, when was the last great Brazil side? 98 possibly, prior to that 82 and then 70

This time around it's wide open, France are probably the best team, Spain are pretty to watch but a shambles defensively, Argentina are fairly good, England are much better than a lot of people think, there's not a lot else

Frank Grimes

True, still one of the favourites though.
I can't see beyond them, France or Spain.
Argentina haven't impressed me. England have a harder route but still in the mix.

Also Germany paid dearly for their Japan game. Would have loved to see them through despite Japan's heroics.

nakpodiareuben

The teams with higher energy wins. I am beginning to agree that players can get tired after son many games coming into this world cup. I think Brazil and England are my fancied favourites. Both have an amazing squad depth with lots of energy and experience.

Jeffthered

A few quite emotive moments, some tense knockout games, but not a great world cup. Too many overhyped players receiving praise for v v average performances. Has any team shown great form? Been stand out?

Brazil 1st XI were good, but miss Neymar's class. France were classy and potent in first game, despite a shocking injury list.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Anyone has an image which shows the entire knockout bracket / chart?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The recency bias in evaluating the tournament is big I'd say, people just coming off the drama of the 3rd day games - it's actually exactly the same at every tournament, this one is no different in that regard. At least in that respect, it's delivered - where it hasn't delivered is real stand out players, or general atmosphere - people are getting excited cos the expectations were so low, but bar the few games that have felt fun atmosphere wise, it's just generally speaking very tame and flat.

I have a mate who just came back from Qatar, saw 8 games in 7 days, and has been to every tournament since France 98, who found it very boring.

I'm kinda enjoying it cos I'm currently in Brazil and the vibe here is nice (+ half days off when the NT are playing are pretty cool), but the quality just isn't amazing. It's not the worst, but it's altogether all a bit forgettable.

lex talionis

There have been some decent moments, as you’d expect, but so far this WC has been forgettable. We’ll see about the remaining matches.

The sooner we go back to club league and cup play, the better.

Bert_

Depends on definition of quality I suppose. No team seems to have any sort of consistency and are either running on tactical muscle memory or pure adrenaline. Probably because the majority of players went from playing a league match one weekend to playing a World Cup match a week later. With one training session together if they were lucky. It does make for a great spectacle results wise but it has all the trappings of some extravagant pre-season friendly tournament at the moment.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Not just dilute the quality, but also remove the drama of the 3rd round of group matches. With only 3 teams, the two playing in that third round of matches will know exactly what they need to qualify.