Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

Lee565

This is spot on. I was talking with a friend about his, where this world cup just happens to be in between generations. All the great players you mention are well off their best and the next big group of stars either haven't hit their best yet (like Spain and Brazil's young stars) ). The age group that should be in their prime are either not here at all or injured (Benzema, Salah, Neymar, Mane, Haaland). Neymar never quite achieved the level we originally expected and some of the others like Salah and Haaland don't play for the greatest national teams.
Yeah, throw in modric and Di maria as well, even lukaku is a miss because when in form he is can be a beast to watch as a pure number 9, de bruyne is class but he has been awful. don't get me wrong there have been some good games but quality and star magic is heavily lacking for me with it being the equivalent of watching 3 premier league games featuring just mid table sides.

tjb

That's uncalled for i do like the quality of the ongoing tournament but to claim the striker list is anything comparable is misleading, half of the players listed are geriatric anyway and not all world cups are equal.
I agree with the poster before. It's easy listing strikers just like that. The ones who were great but old in 98, the ones who would end up being great but noone knew they would or they had just started in 98 were also on that list.

Also add that wingers in today's game are more forward playing than in the past. Players like Rodrygo, Alvarez, Gabriel Jeus, Rafael Leao, Joao Felix, Jonathan David, Rashford, Watkins, Lauturo etc may end up being good players that are remembered way more fondly than they are now.

Add that to the fact that a lot of past players were overrated on the basis of people not actually watching games from other leagues, even most in their own league, and going off highlights and magazines such as four four two or other football magazines which did a fantastic job of making players in that generation look fantastic. In today's game, there is far more access to information, matches and highlights. Sports magazines and media can no longer glorify players they way they used to. Players like Mahrez, who legitimately won a league for Leicester, and Vardy, would have been celebrated as legends of the league, yet in todays game, despite their accomplishments, they are hardly mentioned or idolized.

Last edited:

The White Pele

I think in general the games have been quite entertaining but I do feel the tournament is lacking a clutch of top players at their absolute peak. It seems instead that there is a number of great players north of 30 having their last go at it and a few top young talents like Mbappe, Vinicius, Pedri, Bellingham etc whose best years are ahead of them. I couldn’t name too many elite players in that 24-30 years old bracket who should really be making this tournament their own. Just generally in world football I could think of Kane, Bruno, Bernardo Silva, Ruben Dias, Marquinhos, De Jong, Varane, Pogba which is a little underwhelming.

Just to try and check this objectively I had a look at how many players in the latest Ballon D’or top 20 (not always the best indicator I know) are under 30 and at the World Cup. It’s just four: Mbappe, Vinicius, Fabinho:confused: and Rafael Leao.

When you compare that to previous tournaments there is a stark contrast:

2018 (12): Neymar, Mbappe, Kante, Lewandowski, Kane, Isco, De Bruyne, Dybala, Kroos, Griezmann, Hazard, De Gea

2014 (8): Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Miller, Suarez, Cavani

2010 (11): Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Eto’o, Rooney, Torres, Fabregas, Luis Fabiano, Vidic, Casillas, Gourcuff

2006 (16): Ronaldinho, Lampard, Gerrard, Henry, Shevchenko, Adriano, Zlatan, Kaka, Terry, Riquelme, Cech, Ballack, Drogba, Buffon, Carragher:lol:, C Ronaldo (add the likes of Rooney who didn’t make top 20!)

2002 (16): Owen, Raul, Beckham, Totti, Figo, Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet, Nesta, Veron, Crespo, Mendieta, Carlos, Tommasi, Olisadebe, Sand (not to mention the 3 Rs!!)

It does feel like this World Cup is lacking a bit of individual stardust.

Bobski

Above post outlines the problem perfectly.

However, it is improving after a really dreary first round and a half and like any tournament it will live or die on the knockouts.

Enjoyed the performances of the African and Asian teams at this tournament, think in general they have been playing a more entertaining style, taking more risks that have not always been rewarded.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Seems to really kicked off after this thread was made :lol:

Kind of expected as we are on the final group games and teams need to win to get through. Really enjoying it now.

tjb

Above post outlines the problem perfectly.

However, it is improving after a really dreary first round and a half and like any tournament it will live or die on the knockouts.

Enjoyed the performances of the African and Asian teams at this tournament, think in general they have been playing a more entertaining style, taking more risks that have not always been rewarded.
I think part of the reason for this is the talent pool globally is a lot more diverse than it was years ago. Add the injuries prior to the world cup and you can see the problem.
I do agree that the game is in a bit of a transition. I'm sure players like Dembele, Frenkie De Jong, Tchouemeni, Saliba, Martinelli, Saka, Rashford, Odegaard, Gabriel Jesus, Antony, Lisandro Martinez, Pedri, Musiala, Gavi, Sane, Chiesa, Vlahovic and more will start featuring on the Ballon D'or list shortly.
One element of this is that FIFA has been basing these lists on reputation, so a lot of new stars are not getting the type of recognition they deserve.

jesperjaap

We are still only two group games in. I think to a degree people are living on memories of great moments.

Often world cups and euros have been a bit of an initial let down after all the build up until the last group games. We have already had some big shocks like past world cups and some good games.

So far....I think there are two kind of negaatives:

1) I dont see an amazing team/squad like past tournaments. At work people were raving about the Brazil squad....Our attacking options are just as good as theres, there full backs are bang average at best....There last game, the cameras went in the stand Cafu, Carlos, Ronaldo, Kaka and you think of past players liek Zico, ROmario, Rivaldo, Ronaldhino......Neymar has been good for Brazil but they simply dont have one of those players when past squads have had 3-5 at the same time. The Argentina squad people were bigging up.....its not a patch on past squads individual wise.

Ths could be a positive though as there is time for some break out stars in this tournament as I agree the otehr negative:

2) Messi, ROnaldo, Lewandowski, Neymar, Suarez etc etc....a lot of countries star players are past there peaks

I find it in some ways intriuiging though....lets not forget, a pretty poor England squad reahced the semis last world cup, a decent but no more Croatia squad reached the final, a fairly average France won the tournament. It will be interesting to see how the draw pans out as though no teams really stand out, think there is a chance we get the best 8 in the quarter finals and though Id make Brazil/France favourites I think there are 5/6 genuien contenders and as poor as the likes of Germany, Belgium have been so far for example, wouldnt rule them out if they can squeeze through, happened a few times before. think we could have a really open knock out tournament from the quarter finals onwards

Lee565

It's all been predictable so far no big shock knockouts or even a big national side finishing 2nd place outside of probably Germany but that is down to Spain being in the same group

CallyRed

It's all been predictable so far no big shock knockouts or even a big national side finishing 2nd place outside of probably Germany but that is down to Spain being in the same group
Denmark not qualifying out of their group not a shock?

Wing Attack Plan R

Yes and no. Argentina and Belgium losing to
minnows has been great. The beautiful game has not been much on display, though. Brazil is about the only outfit creating a worthy highlight reel. Richarlison’s second and Casemiro’s were beauties. Mostly it’s a defensive strategy the weaker team plays so it’s dull. And no Italy, so it was never going to be too great anyway without them.

Son

We are a bit spoilt (not at United in recent years but neutral wise) of seeing the Champions League in those later rounds.

The quality of football in the CL is insanely good at times as is a City / Pool game etc. You just don’t get that in international football. It’s all very lethargic and quite honestly apart from Argentina the crowds are too tame this World Cup.

I remember 2006 been stacked with world class talent and great venues but the sides don’t seem as strong this year apart from Brazil.

Zen86

We are a bit spoilt (not at United in recent years but neutral wise) of seeing the Champions League in those later rounds.

The quality of football in the CL is insanely good at times as is a City / Pool game etc. You just don’t get that in international football. It’s all very lethargic and quite honestly apart from Argentina the crowds are too tame this World Cup.

I remember 2006 been stacked with world class talent and great venues but the sides don’t seem as strong this year apart from Brazil.
Players just don’t have as much flair, personality, or expression on the pitch as they used to. There’s a small handful still around but top players are generally accustomed to doing a set job in a set system, and looking good as a consequence. You can’t really implement a system in international football with a squad who rarely play together. Players are comparatively boring which makes for less interesting football when they don’t have those well-trained roles and routines in place.

The atmosphere this WC doesn’t help either. Besides the odd one or two games, the crowd sounds like what you’d get at a friendly game most of the time.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's been quite far from predictable!

Zetrio2002

Wait till you see the 48 teams world cups from 2026 and you will actually appreciate this now.

The White Pele

Argentina topping the group yesterday and showing signs of life is great for the tournament. We could be looking at a mouth-watering quarter final line-up at this rate. Despite some shock results along the way, the favourites are emerging as group winners so far.

Possible QFs of Netherlands vs Argentina, England vs France, Spain vs Brazil, Germany vs Portugal

We might see an upset or two and a dark horse make it through but that often enhances the tournament anyway.

RoyH1

Wait till you see the 48 teams world cups from 2026 and you will actually appreciate this now.
Group stages will be worse for the neutral viewer no doubt. But like always the tournament will spring to life at knockout stages.
Look at the brightside. We can be maybe be sure now that the likes of Italy, Norway, Ukraine, Egypt and Nigeria will be present at the next WC

RoyH1

Argentina topping the group yesterday and showing signs of life is great for the tournament. We could be looking at a mouth-watering quarter final line-up at this rate. Despite some shock results along the way, the favourites are emerging as group winners so far.

Possible QFs of Netherlands vs Argentina, England vs France, Spain vs Brazil, Germany vs Portugal

We might see an upset or two and a dark horse make it through but that often enhances the tournament anyway.
Croatia will "upset" someone along the way me thinks

Fabio Rochemback

I think the gap in quality between club and international football is widening and becoming more obvious.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think the gap in quality between club and international football is widening and becoming more obvious.
Something like this. What it looks to me is that it is a lot easier to maintain a high level of defensive organisation than an attacking one. I see teams able to keep a sound defensive structure but no one really able to play with the kind of intensity and pace in possession that we see in club football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It may be lower quality but this world cup for me is way more enjoyable than the last couple of WCs. Definitely way more fun than the last one.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think the lack of preparation time hasn't helped. You can see the difference when teams have had 2-4 weeks to drill patterns of play, rather than 2-4 days. Generally teams aren't attacking that well collectively. Hoping that improves as squads spend more time together.

ariveded

Its like pre-season. These international teams have little gelling time and preparation.

so like clubs in preseason, these national teams are out of rhythm, yet the passion overrides everything. That alone makes world cup the best

Lee565

Denmark not qualifying out of their group not a shock?
Not really, they are the type of side that cause upsets and are basically at the same level of say Switzerland that is being kind. You could argue blegium is a bit of a shock but it went into the world cup with a ageing squad that has taken a big nose dive in quality because of age catching up, hazard who is completely done now and lukaku is not fit enough to play.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Granted I can't remember much from before the 90's, but I honestly can't remember a more exciting group stage. Fantastic entertainment. I hope it continues in the knockout stages.