Is this season a Royal Rumble - like 15/16?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Leicester were the Champions of 15/16 - in a year where Liverpool started a new cycle with Klopp, City were reaching the end of theirs, United / Arsenal were equally shite + Spurs were beginning to rise under Poch.

The closest thing to a repeat of 15/16 is Spurs being the dark horse to go all the way, but I don't think it will go that far. What is clear though - Liverpool aren't the same without VVD for the remainder of the season and Fabinho is out for the moment too. City again look like they're ending a cycle as they are looking more vulnerable to teams. The 4 teams under them (United/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs) have little between them.

I couldn't resist a WWE reference, but anyone agree it's a bit of a Royal Rumble? It's a brilliant opportunity for the managers to create history for their relatively new clubs. Regardless of what we think of Ole as a manager, he has an opportunity to build upon the foundations of last season. Despite a terrible start he's just 6 points adrift with 1 game in hand. The likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea in similar positions and it is so marginal between them and City/Liverpool.

Or should we not extrapolate on the 5-6 games we have seen so far? Is it just a matter of Liverpool/City warming up before storming the league? I don't see it happening, I think it can only get worse. Arsenal are more capable of picking up the odd result against them, same with Spurs. Heck I think Liverpool v West Ham next week isn't a foregone conclusion either.

Andy_Cole

I believe it is. This season is so different to any other.

1. Liverpool‘s injuries.
2. City a lot weaker.
3. Covid, behind closed doors. No more home advantage.
4. VAR - it’s so random that upsets are happening all over the shop.

I’m gutted we didn’t do more in the transfer window, as this could’ve been the season we stepped up.

85 points will win the league I think.

Nickosaur

Annoyingly, I think Spurs have a good chance this season.

If United had been bolder in the transfer market... we could have been up there.

meamth

Yeah, I think so too.

Weirdest season to date. Usually we have front runners already.

Cloud7

Hope so. Much more entertaining than last season where it never seemed to be anyone but Liverpool.

RUCK4444

I believe it is. This season is so different to any other.

1. Liverpool‘s injuries.
2. City a lot weaker.
3. Covid, behind closed doors. No more home advantage.
4. VAR - it’s so random that upsets are happening all over the shop.

I’m gutted we didn’t do more in the transfer window, as this could’ve been the season we stepped up.

85 points will win the league I think.
This. Such a shame we didn't make more of the transfer window, we could have been right in the mix.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I kind of think the bigger teams will eventually settle down and the table will begin to reflect what we all thought before the season started, but it'll come down to who can find consistency first. If a top 6 club can find some consistency before the other rivals that would put them at a major advantage.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This. Such a shame we didn't make more of the transfer window, we could have been right in the mix.
I think we had a decent window all things considered if we can get some consistency in fitness out of Tuanzebe. I like our central midfield options, Greenwood is a capable RW spot, Cavani will be a brilliant option up top and Telles is an upgrade on Shaw. There is few more we could have wanted.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Injuries are going to be a big factor later in the season. Schedule is insane, will be an attritional battle by January. If clubs are just reliant on a couple of players who are then out for months, table could change quickly.

Clubs that manage to keep their key players fit or who can rotate without team suffering will do well.

Kajus

No. Liverpool are winning it and it won’t be even close.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I think Liverpool are in trouble due to Fabinho getting a hamstring injury last night. Lpool had done fantastic for 2-3 years regarding injuries but they are now all happening at once. James Milner at centre back appears their new option. Matip get injured for 3 months merely by lacing his boots.

Bestietom

Injuries are going to be a big factor later in the season. Schedule is insane, will be an attritional battle by January. If clubs are just reliant on a couple of players who are then out for months, table could change quickly.

Clubs that manage to keep their key players fit or who can rotate without team suffering will do well.
Staying free of virus will be vital also. Christmas is the time players need to be really careful.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Big difference this season is that rather than it just being an incredibly poor standard in the league and Leicester taking advantage of that, this year there are actually a lot of quality teams but the very pinnacle isn't as good as last year. I reckon there's 8 teams that in years gone by would have been "top 4" standard, but nobody good enough to run away with it.

I expect something like:

Liverpool
Spurs
City
United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Leicester
Everton

But it really wouldn't shock me if that was a very different order.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No, I think Livepool (and maybe City) and further ahead of the rest than people think and I fully expect everyone to be rather disappointed by the season playing out that way.

patty123

I couldn't resist a WWE reference, but anyone agree it's a bit of a Royal Rumble?
No as the result of that is already know prior to the first person entering the ring :lol: Nah but for real, yes you are right in saying its a open shot for more than normal, but that is not just the EPL.

Just look at the league below, the team (Reading)that finished 14 a massive 37 points off the top while spending something like 4 million only is now leading by 7 points and also have won half of their games they did last season in just 8 games. Then there's la liga, when is the last time Farcalona were 12th having lose their first 2 games ?

Idxomer

It's between Liverpool and City, same as the last two seasons.

big rons sovereign

Is gonna be a Mersey battle. Salah has found his diving boots again so they'll be getting a lot of pens.
Everton to win it on the final day.
Just for a laugh.

Bestietom

No, I think Livepool (and maybe City) and further ahead of the rest than people think and I fully expect everyone to be rather disappointed by the season playing out that way.
I said from the start that this is going to be a funny season with results all over the place. It's proving right so far and over the Christmas period we will most likely see more clubs fighting off this bloody virus with players out.

Gordon S

It's between Liverpool and City, same as the last two seasons.
Agree with this, they are still the two best teams in the league, they will just not be able to reach +90 points this time

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I said from the start that this is going to be a funny season with results all over the place. It's proving right so far and over the Christmas period we will most likely see more clubs fighting off this bloody virus with players out.
Is it? Liverpool have had one bad result in the league. Drawing away at Everton is fine and the rest they've won including wins against Chelsea and Arsenal I believe.

Bestietom

Is it? Liverpool have had one bad result in the league. Drawing away at Everton is fine and the rest they've won including wins against Chelsea and Arsenal I believe.
Only 4/5 games into season yet. A 7-2 loss to Aston Villa was a big surprise.

Hoof the ball

"The Immortaaaaaaaaal Huuuuuuulk Hooooooogan"
"The Hitmaaan Bret Haaaart"
"Animal from the Leeeeegion of Doooooom"

I wish Sky had a PL intro like this.

Web of Bissaka

I love a royal rumble
Best WWE event.
Indeed.

We're already seeing it with big teams getting spanked by supposedly weaker teams, the champions villa-nized by uh 7-2, big scorelines this early, weaker teams generally getting many points ahead of the favourites, soap opera with what's happening among United players and clubs, commentators eg. Evra getting emotional, Leeds putting many teams to shame with good football performed by actually shit players, joke defendings, VAR heating things up, etc etc etc.

Towards the end, we're so getting a Kofi-teams sneaking into top 4 and escaping relegations with trickeries, geniuses and lucks.

:drool: Pure entertaining, surprises, twists and drama already, from a neutral point of view of football fans.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely. CL being every midweek, fixture overload will cause more injuries. We've already seen it throughout the league. The top 2 won't be close to their usual consistent selves, Spurs hugely improved, Chelsea and United have obviously still got consistency problems but that will probably improve a bit to narrow the gap to the top, but also you have a team like Everton who have one of the top 3 managers in the league and built a quality team, with the huge bonus of no European games. They'll be the one fresh team while the rest of the big 6 are battling it out in Europe and traveling constantly.

I think it's the same in the CL, more than in a long time. Liverpool and City much weaker than last 2 seasons, Madrid and Barcelona far from teams that have their shit together and don't have inspiring lineups, we just showed we can outplay a team like PSG, none of the Italian sides are too impressive.... the obvious answer is Bayern, but I wouldn't count on them being as good or as consistent as last year, motivation is a big thing (but yes, they're the best side around currently).

Where the last few years you could be sure it was 1 of 2 in the premier league and 1 of 3 or 4 in the CL, its far more open now.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
May come a point where I’ll have to consider cheering on Spurs if it gets disastrously bad for us. Even then they’ll probably bottle it and let us down in the end.

Bwuk

Would be brilliant if someone unexpected won it.

I think the sheer amount of games will make it extremely hard for Liverpool to defend the title.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Annoyingly, I think Spurs have a good chance this season.

If United had been bolder in the transfer market... we could have been up there.
But our squad is still miles better than Spurs so why should be need a window to beat them? Also they won’t get anywhere near.

RUCK4444

I think we had a decent window all things considered if we can get some consistency in fitness out of Tuanzebe. I like our central midfield options, Greenwood is a capable RW spot, Cavani will be a brilliant option up top and Telles is an upgrade on Shaw. There is few more we could have wanted.
Yeah in the end it was ok, but I would have liked a top DM, that is where we struggle, it limits us to playing with both Fred and Scott.

Would like us to get Greenwood back in the starting 11 consistently now and like you say Tuenzebe could be like a new signing if he stays fit, great player and option for our defence.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah in the end it was ok, but I would have liked a top DM, that is where we struggle, it limits us to playing with both Fred and Scott.

Would like us to get Greenwood back in the starting 11 consistently now and like you say Tuenzebe could be like a new signing if he stays fit, great player and option for our defence.
Yeah a Partey sort of player would have been nice, but I think on their own it would need a lot of work if Pogba will partner Bruno. The former is just too lackadaisical in his positioning and generally holding the ball in deeper areas. He's a different player all together on the offensive half of the pitch, but the set up does not suit him.

Anyway point being, quality wise I think we have as much as any other team do right now (counting here that Liverpool actually have no VVD for the season).