Is this the best starting 11 we've had post Ferguson?

Jonno

A year or two ago he was struggling badly when asked to play a full season as the main sitting CM. Teams were running past him like he wasn't there. Nothing to suggest that wouldn't happen again - right now he's coming off a 3 month rest.
A year or two ago he was playing a different role, in a different style of team. That team had horrible imbalances in its setup. You can't expect a sitting CM to dominate when you had an incredibly imbalanced defence that chopped and changed every week. One week its Smalling/Jones, then Bailey/Rojo, then Jones/Rojo etc etc etc. Then we were needing to rest Shaw/Valencia/Young every other game, it was horrible.

Right now he's coming off recovering from two fairly bad injuries, not rest. He's normally a fully-fit player and cruises through games and he's proving that now by playing every 3 days. Back to your original point, he's not getting any younger, surely if he was too old, his legs would be gone now? Why is he controlling games?

When you've got a well-drilled balanced team, you need a Matic in there to knit it all together, he's a top-class midfielder and he played a large part in Chelseas title winning team. Probably the most underrated player in this current United side, I found it strange you'd just write him off because he's in his 30s.

He's a big part of why we're passing forward quickly. He's always looking forward, for Pogba or Bruno, or Mason - see our third goal.

Withnail

I'd say it definitely is, with the potential to be even better with the right recruitment.

After a terrible start to the season it's so much fun to be a fan at the moment and, hopefully we can finish the season on a high.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We have played a Sheffield and Brighton team that like to come out and play, we know we do well in those games. I'm more interested in how we do against the teams that sit back and defend.
Bizarrely for some reason Potter chose to sit back and defend for the first half, by the time we reverted to our normal stye the damage was done and you'd won the game.

A year or two ago he was struggling badly when asked to play a full season as the main sitting CM. Teams were running past him like he wasn't there. Nothing to suggest that wouldn't happen again - right now he's coming off a 3 month rest.
You play very differently now, when teams were running past Matic you were conceding possession alot of time and inviting teams onto you. He seems much more comfortable now holding possession and playing out from the back. Not to say he wont have the odd bad game again I'm sure he will, but your style now suits him far better.

A year or two ago he was playing a different role, in a different style of team. That team had horrible imbalances in its setup. You can't expect a sitting CM to dominate when you had an incredibly imbalanced defence that chopped and changed every week. One week its Smalling/Jones, then Bailey/Rojo, then Jones/Rojo etc etc etc. Then we were needing to rest Shaw/Valencia/Young every other game, it was horrible.

Right now he's coming off recovering from two fairly bad injuries, not rest. He's normally a fully-fit player and cruises through games and he's proving that now by playing every 3 days. Back to your original point, he's not getting any younger, surely if he was too old, his legs would be gone now? Why is he controlling games?

When you've got a well-drilled balanced team, you need a Matic in there to knit it all together, he's a top-class midfielder and he played a large part in Chelseas title winning team. Probably the most underrated player in this current United side, I found it strange you'd just write him off because he's in his 30s.

He's a big part of why we're passing forward quickly. He's always looking forward, for Pogba or Bruno, or Mason - see our third goal.
I'm not writing him off. I'm saying we need to manage his game time, and we need to be looking for the player who will ultimately replace him.

ReddBalls

Bizarrely for some reason Potter chose to sit back and defend for the first half, by the time we reverted to our normal stye the damage was done and you'd won the game.
I think Potter did what he did because he knew that United would hammer Brighton for the first 60 mins and then sub off the most important players. He tried to close up shop and then let his front line try to get something in the last 30 minutes. That way he would also give his offensive players a rest before the far more crucial game against Norwich.

Withnail

I'm not writing him off. I'm saying we need to manage his game time, and we need to be looking for the player who will ultimately replace him.
Agreed.

We need a younger player to come in as understudy. I'm not convinced yet he can keep up this level of performance week in week out for a full season.

Alemar

It is certainly the best starting XI since Ferguson. Yet, it may still be upgraded - Martial is not a Lewandowski, Rashford is not a Neymar, and Lindelof is nothing special in general.

Falcow

Yes, without a doubt. One world class signing (you know who) and a league class creative squad option this summer, and we're ready to properly contend on all fronts i reckon.

Imagine a front three rotation with Greenwood, Martial, Rashford and Sancho.
They're all capable of playing across the enitre front line, without a strict position. It'll be a proper nightmare to defend against, as proven yesterday with Greenwoods assist from the left (!) flank. With Sancho in the mix as well, I dare you to name a better front line, not only in the league, but in the world.

Ighalo and James are useful as well, and can be brought on in early stage cup games, after 60+ mins in comfortable games etc. Plenty of game time for all to be happy.

With Bruno and Pogba gelling even more, we're destined for great things. It's not even a false dawn this time, the sun is rising for real.
Great front line that, perhaps missing ability to hold play up in the way Inghalo can and to be very critical dare I say none of that 4 are proven as yet at leading the line.

ReddBalls

It is certainly the best starting XI since Ferguson. Yet, it may still be upgraded - Martial is not a Lewandowski, Rashford is not a Neymar, and Lindelof is nothing special in general.
Bruno is no Messi either. And Greenwood ain't no Ronaldo.

TheLord

Let us not count the chicken before they hatch.
I would wait till the end of the season to arrive at any concrete opinion. We have had many “apparently“ good sides post-Ferguson.

Green_Red

A lot of us believed that this team had the makings of a decent side even before Fernandes was added. We all knew beforehand that the role Fernandes performs in the team was a position that needed to be fixed and an area that we were definitely weak in. Low and behold most of us were right. A proper number 10 with energy (not a Lingard / Mata) has solved the biggest issue in our starting XI, and we look a dangerous team because of it.

Is it the best team post Fergie? Hard to say, the team he left was pretty fecking good so you could argue Moyes' team was the best team post Fergie, but technically it was Fergies team. We are definitely in the best form post Fergie.

Ole deserves a lot of credit and I think all the Ole out crew should be marched through the streets of Manchester whilst the rest of us pelt them with rotten cabbage and shout "Shame" at them.

Bojan Djordjic

At least now, you can look at the team and identify where upgrades or tweaks are needed. During Mourinho's reign, it looked like the entire squad needed replacing. Now I can see that upgrades at RW and LB would immediately improve our attacking options with Def MF, Striker and CB all requiring upgrades in the next couple of windows.

That being said, the squad depth is atrocious. There are players who will be getting relegated that would be significant improvements on some of the dross being brought on as reserves.

el3mel

Funny how we went from worst United side in history to being the best post Fergie in the same season.
Yeah people were telling us in the first half of the season that Leicester had better squad than us and that's why they're up in the table. We sign Bruno and now we have 3rd best squad and this is the best lineup we saw post Fergie.

Saying Leicester have better squad than us was really ridiculous anyway. I won't bring posts anyway, as I don't care.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
----------------------------De Gea--------------------------

Awb--------Lindelof-----------Maguire-----Shaw

-----------------Pogba-----------Matic------------------

Greenwood----------Bruno-------------Rashford

----------------------------Martial--------------------------
Looks like a proper team to me.

OleTheGreat

I should think this is the best starting XI but i have a slight twist in the formation to make it much better although they assume this formation in the game most of the time

AWB-VL-HM-LS
NM
BF - PP
MG - AM - MR

We should keep this team playing more and more together and add quality to it as and when they come. I think Mason would suit beautifully on the right since he has a wonderful left foot and can use the right just as well. Sancho can come in and still MG can use that place as he grows alongside Sancho. Midfield needs Grealish to challenge Poggy and Bruno. Scott and Fred can fight it out for the DM position with Matic. The defense has it's own backup with Dalot, Williams, Bailly and Tuanxebe (whenever he's fit) or we can buy one like Koulibaly.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the 11 was probably stronger in Mourinhos first and start of second year. Although we didnt play at that level. Although both Martial and Rashford has naturally got better since then. Defense is similar to then.

shaky

Ole deserves a lot of credit and I think all the Ole out crew should be marched through the streets of Manchester whilst the rest of us pelt them with rotten cabbage and shout "Shame" at them.
It's funny how some of them are still adamant that he should be replaced if we miss out on CL next season. Punish him for some poor results from 7 or 8 months ago and ignore all the progress since then. People just hate to admit they were wrong, even when the evidence is slapping them about the face.

Paul_Scholes18

Let us not count the chicken before they hatch.
I would wait till the end of the season to arrive at any concrete opinion. We have had many “apparently“ good sides post-Ferguson.
Yeah hopefully we can win something. Pogba is looking like he is in top form and that is good. Rashford not looking fully the same yet sadly. Need him to produce and perform well again.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd say so, yes. By no means are we at the level we need to be at, but the spine of the team looks strong, and I can imagine we're only going to get stronger. Exciting times ahead.

gorky_utd

Atleast it now looks like the manager has a clear vision about the future. Sell lingard, Mata, Pereira. Mctominay and Fred is decent cover in midfield. We need Sancho who can improve our attack massively. However playing matic everyweek will be a problem. How is vdb? Can he play matic role?

El-Manos

Strange criticism. He's in his peak. It's funny how when players are 30+ they're criticised for it. He could play at this level, comfortably for another 3 years at least.
I agree but I would start rotating him with a suitable alternative in order to drive another 2-3 years out of him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's definitely our best 11 but there are question marks over the bolded.

De Gea - needs to cut the errors out
Lindelof - could be improved on at a push
Shaw - can he maintain fitness
Matic - not getting any younger
Martial - not convinced he can lead the line
Greenwood - he's 18, we can't expect him to perform on a weekly basis

They all need to step up or be replaced if we are to seriously challenge.

We have played a Sheffield and Brighton team that like to come out and play, we know we do well in those games. I'm more interested in how we do against the teams that sit back and defend.
Except they didn't ...

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
CF RW CB will make the team more ruthless, but its comfortably the best since SAF left.

Although Moyes inherited a very good team (although it slightly older)

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just a feeling but if wed got bruno and went for maguire instead of penny pinching with miki bailly and lindelof and then the whole sanchez debacle that followed i reckon wed be in the champions league the last few seasons and Jose would probably still be here with everyone including Pogba onside. He settled for the wrong signings at the end of the day and it cost him his job.

el3mel

Just a feeling but if wed got bruno and went for maguire instead of penny pinching with miki bailly and lindelof and then the whole sanchez debacle that followed i reckon wed be in the champions league the last few seasons and Jose would probably still be here with everyone including Pogba onside. He settled for the wrong signings at the end of the day and it cost him his job.
Sanchez signing really fecked up the team at this point. I still can't believe this signing ended up like this after all the pleasure we got when it was announced and done. Weird days. Hopefully we never make such signings again.

Withnail

It's funny how some of them are still adamant that he should be replaced if we miss out on CL next season. Punish him for some poor results from 7 or 8 months ago and ignore all the progress since then. People just hate to admit they were wrong, even when the evidence is slapping them about the face.
They said he should sacked if he didn't make top 4 and by jove that's what should be done.

Let's not take any mitigating factors or nuance into the decision. It's a bit of brexit means brexit mentality.

Withnail

Strange criticism. He's in his peak. It's funny how when players are 30+ they're criticised for it. He could play at this level, comfortably for another 3 years at least.
It doesn't look like strange criticism when you take into account how he played over the couple years prior to his rebirth.

He played well in the run of games up until lockdown and he's played well so far but hasn't been an extended run.

The jury's still out on whether he can play twice a week and not get burnt out, if that is what happened.

Withnail

Come on now.

Without a personality transplant, there's no way in hell that fella would still be here, along with the team doing well and with Pogba onside.

There's delusion and then there's whatever this is.

Ali Dia

Sanchez signing really fecked up the team at this point. I still can't believe this signing ended up like this after all the pleasure we got when it was announced and done. Weird days. Hopefully we never make such signings again.
i can genuinely say I never wanted Sanchez. I was certain it would be Rooneys last contract mk 2, he was so crap for about a year before he came throwing his toys out of the pram on the pitch, throwing his hands up, look at what i have to play with, he always seemed like a total knob and then to top it off he signed to play on the left.... the mind boggles. Typical Ed to go all in on him in a position we dont need.Same with Mata not fitting our system. We were nowhere to be found when Sanchez was leaving barca and there was actually some long term value attached to signing him or we could have moved him on for decent money if he failed.The irony of this is we are all wondering whether hell pull out the chequebook this summer when we really need it to kick on and some great young players are on the market for around the same cost as Di Maria/Mata/Sanchez/Lukaku. It would make you wonder if its all just bluster at the end of the day. im the best businessman Im getting Sanchez for free and city wanted him. It was idiotic. Does he think about how the team will look in a few years at all or is about overpaying at the last minute and getting one up on other clubs.

el3mel

i can genuinely say I never wanted Sanchez. I was certain it would be Rooneys last contract mk 2, he was so crap for about a year before he came throwing his toys out of the pram on the pitch, throwing his hands up, look at what i have to play with, he always seemed like a total knob and then to top it off he signed to play on the left.... the mind boggles. Typical Ed to go all in on him in a position we dont need.Same with Mata not fitting our system. We were nowhere to be found when Sanchez was leaving barca and there was actually some long term value attached to signing him or we could have moved him on for decent money if he failed.The irony of this is we are all wondering whether hell pull out the chequebook this summer when we really need it to kick on and some great young players are on the market for around the same cost as Di Maria/Mata/Sanchez/Lukaku. It would make you wonder if its all just bluster at the end of the day. im the best businessman Im getting Sanchez for free and city wanted him. It was idiotic. Does he think about how the team will look in a few years at all or is about overpaying at the last minute and getting one up on other clubs.
You deserve credit if this was your prediction. :D I knew his form in his last half season with Arsenal was poor but I just thought it was because he checked off and not interested to play for them again, and I think many also thought the same. The scenario of the signing, us hijacking the deal from City, the piano video introduction. This was just a great pleasure for me at this time. It was great fun, up till he started playing. Never ever expected it to to go this route by the end of it for him. Expected at least 1 great year from him or something. Oh well.

Let's be glad we moved on from such signings. Hopefully we never return to it again.

Ali Dia

Come on now.

Without a personality transplant, there's no way in hell that fella would still be here, along with the team doing well and with Pogba onside.

There's delusion and then there's whatever this is.

im just saying how transformative of a signing Bruno has been he might have even saved Joses job. Dont get me wrong Im really glad Jose is gone. Bruno is making Oles project look about a season ahead of schedule. Id go as far as to say hes probably saved Oles project and bought him a lot more time. Think of how we were in January. Yes it was back to being that toxic again. We basically did everything in our power to not have bruno and pogba in the same team for 2 summers and almost a full winter window. Bruno coming always seemed dependant on pogba leaving rather than some great plan to ever play them both together. Signing Bruno in January was just a throw of the dice that lucked out massively (and we paid more for in the end) and Pogba is probably only coming around to the idea of staying here again now because its gone so well. This wasnt the planned lineup even when they were bringing Bruno in.

Last edited:

Withnail

im just saying how transformative of a signing Bruno has been he might have even saved Joses job. Dont get me wrong Im very glad Jose is gone. Bruno is making Oles project look about a season ahead of schedule. Id go as far as to say hes probably saved Oles job. Think of how we were in January. Yes it was back to being that toxic again. We basically did everything in our power to not have bruno and pogba in the same team for 2 summers and almost a full winter window. Bruno coming always seemed dependant on pogba leaving rather than some great plan to ever play them both together. Signing Bruno in January was just a throw of the dice that lucked out massively and Pogba is probably only coming around to the idea of staying here again now because its gone so well. This wasnt the planned lineup even when they were bringing Bruno in.
Fair enough mate, although I don't think it was anywhere near as toxic.

I'm just tired of reading about what could have been if Mourinho was still around. I'm trying to forget he was ever here :lol:

Ali Dia

Fair enough mate, although I don't think it was anywhere near as toxic.

I'm just tired of reading about what could have been if Mourinho was still around. I'm trying to forget he was ever here :lol:
hahaha I know god it was unbearable under Jose by the final season but imagine a scenario where we’d Pogba and Bruno in there for the last few years instead of the last few months. Things might have turned out different. Bruno is making everyone look a lot better right now.

Withnail

hahaha I know god it was unbearable under Jose by the final season but imagine a scenario where we’d Pogba and Bruno in there for the last few years instead of the last few months. Things might have turned out different. Bruno is making everyone look a lot better right now.
Nah he'd have broken them and made them cry