Is this the way forward?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One pacey striker up front to stretch up opponent defence and midfield, and 3 AM (plus Pogba as CM) behind him.
There's just so much creativity, without sacrificing workrate and goalscoring there. And it suits United more, as we don't have any good winger.

neilv93

Is that not how we've always lined up..? Martial is a pacey striker, we play three attackers behind and Pogba a bit deeper...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
If you mean Rashford up top then it's an idea as we play better when stretching opponents on the counter instead of camping in their half (our high line doesn't help either). You could see towards the end of the match today how much easier we found it breaking away after Newcastle attacks. However, it probably won't work as we'd be left sacrificing our left wing completely given Mata has his limitations and Martial isn't as comfortable there.

In fact, no is the answer. The balance isn't there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We've seen enough of Mata over recent years to know his limitations. Much though I adore him, he's a horse for certain courses.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We've seen enough of Mata over recent years to know his limitations. Much though I adore him, he's a horse for certain courses.
Mata and Rashford are my MoTM. He has limitation, but imho this setup will allow him to shine.

el3mel

Let's wait few matches before we start talking about which way is forward. Beside we still have Cavani and Telles coming.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If you mean Rashford up top then it's an idea as we play better when stretching opponents on the counter instead of camping in their half (our high line doesn't help either). You could see towards the end of the match today how much easier we found it breaking away after Newcastle attacks. However, it probably won't work as we'd be left sacrificing our left wing completely given Mata has his limitations and Martial isn't as comfortable there.

In fact, no is the answer. The balance isn't there.
We don't have any good winger, but we have so many very good AM (and Pogba, if you include one). Mata was excellent in this game (against Newcastle). I'm not sure why you point out Mata as a weakness.

Dante

Average bang
You can't build St Paul's cathedral on a foundation of sand. The walls will collapse from above and moisture will seep in from below.

Fred and McTominay need to start in midfield.

flappyjay

You can't build St Paul's cathedral on a foundation of sand. The walls will collapse from above and moisture will seep in from below.

I agree with you on that, they give us defensive solidarity.

Idxomer

Going by the game after James was subbed, Ole should field as many midfielders as possible and moves away from his beloved 4-2-1-3.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford needs Greenwood playing next to him so there is always that symmetrical attacking aspect when they attack from angles.

We then need VDB to play just behind but inbetween them, trying to play one twos and make dummies getting the ball to either two strikers.

Play Bruno and Pogba as midfielders that have each others back but are able to get forward whenever the other one finds themselves deeper. It can interchange.

Play a CDM that is covered by the 2 CM in front of him (instead of just a double pivot) and likewise the CDM will be guarding 2 CM in Bruno and Pogba rather than as an AM and CDM.

Rashford- Greenwood
VDB
Pogba - Bruno
CDM
Defence​

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fred and McT in midfield from now on please. We can get away with being a little wasteful/taking more risks in attack while still keeping the defensive side strong If we have a solid and hardworking base in midfield. Pogba was decent when he came on, he’s a really good player but he’s a luxury now we have Bruno.

Dante

Average bang
I agree with you on that, they give us defensive solidarity.
Exactly. Other than a bit of piss-weak defending from Lindelof, Newcastle created nothing through the middle areas of the pitch today.

The only threat they posed (what little of it there was) came from the wing. This may sound like a hollow point, but it's hugely in contrast to the Palace, Brighton and Tottenham games.

During those first three PL matches, we were consistently getting carved open from the centre. The same thing happened at the tail end of last season against the like of Southampton. It's a suicidal way to defend.

It doesn't matter how much more talented Matic+Pogba are on paper. Their inclusion in the system is simply not sustainable.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What this performance showed me is that the diamond is definitely a viable option with this squad. Shaw and AWB will never be clinical forwards, but they don't have to be. They cover so much ground down each flank, and we have a lot of technical midfielders that can have a lot of fun playing in that system.1

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Agreed
Mata and Rashford are my MoTM. He has limitation, but imho this setup will allow him to shine.
Mata is one of my favourite players but he shone today because Newcastle left gaping holes for us to exploit, gave us so much time on the ball and didn't really press. Put Mata in that situation and he'll pull the strings but how many times a season will we play against those sorts of teams?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Rashford needs Greenwood playing next to him so there is always that symmetrical attacking aspect when they attack from angles.

We then need VDB to play just behind but inbetween them, trying to play one twos and make dummies getting the ball to either two strikers.

Play Bruno and Pogba as midfielders that have each others back but are able to get forward whenever the other one finds themselves deeper. It can interchange.

Play a CDM that is covered by the 2 CM in front of him (instead of just a double pivot) and likewise the CDM will be guarding 2 CM in Bruno and Pogba rather than as an AM and CDM.

Rashford- Greenwood
VDB
Pogba - Bruno
CDM
Defence​
Rashy just had the best game of his life, after months of playing sub-standard of him. And the setup is him playing as the only striker, with 3 creative attacking midfielders floating behind him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed

Mata is one of my favourite players but he shone today because Newcastle left gaping holes for us to exploit, gave us so much time on the ball and didn't really press. Put Mata in that situation and he'll pull the strings but how many times a season will we play against those sorts of teams?
It was one of the best game we've had, with Mata playing excellent. Why not giving this best formation/players we just had more chance going forward?

This game might be a blip, but you'd never know without giving it more chance. Why would you want us to go back to previous formation/players?

Bebestation

Rashy just had the best game of his life, after months of playing sub-standard of him. And the setup is him playing as the only striker, with 3 creative attacking midfielders floating behind him.
And why not get that for Greenwood as well? We still get ti play 3 attacking minded midfielders.

Even the goal today Rashford was a striker but loves his wide left run. Why not have Greenwood do that on the right as a striker in partnership? Everytime Rashford finds himself wide then Greenwood takes the central areas and vice versa.

We cant play Mata, Van de Beek, Bruno and Pogba in one formation for the whole game but we sure can play 3 at a time. Having 2 strikers being clinical on each side is just the cherry on top of the cake.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And why not get that for Greenwood as well? We still get ti play 3 attacking minded midfielders.

Even the goal today Rashford was a striker but loves his wide left run. Why not have Greenwood do that on the right as a striker in partnership? Everytime Rashford finds himself wide then Greenwood takes the central areas and vice versa.
Possibly. but then you left out Mata who has proven to be the best player in Newcastle game (along with Rashford).

Bebestation

Possibly. but then you left out Mata who has proven to be the best player in Newcastle game (along with Rashford).
No he can play instead of VDB as VDB gets dropped deeper or to the bench.

A CDM with Bruno, Pogba and Mata in front is just as good or even better than Bruno Pogba and VDB.

I'm like you, I liked the creativity we had all across the pitch today. I just think having 2 strikers trying to benefit from that would be more in sync that having one striker trying to benefit from it.

A Rashford and Greenwood partnership is something deadly in the making with all that creativity behind them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No he can play instead of VDB as VDB gets dropped deeper or to the bench.

A CDM with Bruno, Pogba and Mata in front is just as good or even better than Bruno Pogba and VDB.

I'm like you, I liked the creativity we had all across the pitch today. I just think having 2 strikers trying to benefit from that would be more in sync that having one striker trying to benefit from it.

A Rashford and Greenwood partnership is something deadly in the making with all that creativity behind them.
I'd like to see that Rashford-Greenwood also, mate. Although it means Rashford has to cover that left flank more often.

Smores

No, it looks like what it is an opinion based on a single game and not even half that game. Newcastle were tired and were caught between attacking and giving up, we exploited it well as it's the one thing we're really good at.

Rashford isn't ready for that central striker position and Mata has limited use. We don't have the fullbacks to make such a narrow setup work especially with one striker.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Newcastle were rubbish so it's hard to say. I hope he sticks with this midfield for a few games and we'll see if there's really anything there to work with. Obviously, we had miles more energy without Pogba. Though we knew that already, just chose to ignore it.

Crashoutcassius

This

By far our most functional partnership in oles time, especially after Bruno came in and provided quality at 10

AneRu

The issue with all our players is consistency, there is a reason Mata always starts on the bench and a good showing against a poor Newcastle shouldn't whitewash that imo. He has his uses but let's not get carried away, Ole has to carefully pick which games he uses him and which to leave him out but he deserves a more prominent role than he has had for sure.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One pacey striker up front to stretch up opponent defence and midfield, and 3 AM (plus Pogba as CM) behind him.
There's just so much creativity, without sacrificing workrate and goalscoring there. And it suits United more, as we don't have any good winger.

No but more match fitness is the way forward.:p;)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are three of our arguably the most valuable assets (only Bruno comes close in terms of his importance & performance level), so it would be a bit weird to bench not one, but two of them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The issue with all our players is consistency, there is a reason Mata always starts on the bench and a good showing against a poor Newcastle shouldn't whitewash that imo. He has his uses but let's not get carried away, Ole has to carefully pick which games he uses him and which to leave him out but he deserves a more prominent role than he has had for sure.
Don't you think,we should give more chance to this formation/players after shites we put in in previous games?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
You'd get a proper out and out left and right sided player, put Bruno in the hole and have VDB at 8 and a proper defensive midfielder, whoever that is. Unless you want to replace Bruno with Pogba but you wouldn't on current form and synergy of what we're building.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a Bruno of poster. Posting shites here and there, but still excellent poster, mate. :lol:
What can we do without you?
I want you to say it, we need more match fitness. I know you want to say it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For me the best starting 11 is;

DEFENCE - Pogba / Fred / Fernandes LW, DVB CAM, Greenwood right, Martial striker.

Rashford can compete with Martial and rotate with either of the wide positions.

I think getting DVB into the team is vital, and Fernandes can be just as effective from the left wing, he often drifts out there to play 1-2's while cutting inside and his movement and stamina make up for it plenty. Getting him away from a CDM could also make him even more effective IMO.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It was one of the best game we've had, with Mata playing excellent. Why not giving this best formation/players we just had more chance going forward?

This game might be a blip, but you'd never know without giving it more chance. Why would you want us to go back to previous formation/players?
I've no problem changing formations or playing with certain players in certain games but somehow I don't think PSG will give Mata the time and space he bad today. He's still got a great footballing brain but unfortunately his legs aren't in agreement which is what's needed against a fast attacking side which is why I agreed with sullydnl when he said he's a horses for courses player.

Of course I may be wrong and Mata could be just the player to unlock defences so I wouldn't have a problem if he does start against stronger teams but past experiences have shown that against these sorts of sides the game more or less passes him by.

Wazza4Gaffa

I wonder if Van de Beek could do a job as a floating playmaker from the wide areas like Mata does. He would be a nice alternative down the right similar to how Muller once operated for Bayern roaming inwards and linking up play while also getting into the box on the end of chances. It would also give him another route into the team (rather than being stuck behind Bruno primarily). Any way we can fit as many of our best players into the team without compromising our structure should be welcomed as some players are too good to be left out of the lineup regularly.