Is this the worst goal we have conceded in the PL era?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
We don’t have a clue what to in the final third and your defence probably anticipated us to give up possession.

Heinzesight

For me, the failure to clear it was because we are shit scared of corners so it was a case of just don’t let it go for a corner.

Falcow

Of all the players to look at and be bothered by .. it isn't him. Even he must have been watching thinking, "you're going to clear this right?"
Well he was the one who started it all by falling over yet again when the ball was played to him. He then adopted a wait and see approach instead of a do fecking something about it approach despite having ample time to make up for giving the ball away in the first instance so yeah, I think he is exactly the person to focus on.

El Zoido

For me, the failure to clear it was because we are shit scared of corners so it was a case of just don’t let it go for a corner.
De Gea could have cleared it for a throw in. We now focus too much on passing out that frequently we’re not taking the decision to just clear the lines. Sometimes you can just hoof the damn thing.

croadyman

De Gea could have cleared it for a throw in. We now focus too much on passing out that frequently we’re not taking the decision to just clear the lines. Sometimes you can just hoof the damn thing.
Yeah we have clearly forgotten that it is ok to actually clear the ball

Thiagoal

That goal is a goal only a team of bottlers concedes! Poor mentally, poor focus- like a bunch of rabbits in the headlights. Who the feck is taking responsibility?

bsCallout

Well he was the one who started it all by falling over yet again when the ball was played to him. He then adopted a wait and see approach instead of a do fecking something about it approach despite having ample time to make up for giving the ball away in the first instance so yeah, I think he is exactly the person to focus on.
Fair. But that is a defensive shambles. That should never happen no matter who loses it.

AaronRedDevil

I just realised it's exactly like a goal you concede on fifa :lol:. Doesnt matter what you do, it'll bounce back to the opposition.

hobbers

It has to be up there. Like a slow motion trainwreck.

Imagine chasing the win against the worst team in the league and being that fecking slow to push out of your own 6 yard box clearing the ball. Actually that description is way too generous. None of our clueless petrified defenders even tries to push out or close any space, while none of the feckless midfielders and forwards even contemplate getting back and helping.

You could make a reasonable argument that over half the squad deserve to be verbally crucified for their part in the goal. Times like that I wish Mourinho was still around. He'd probably have Martial, Tuanzebe and De Gea training with the reserves for a week.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There was the one earlier this season where Maguire kept tackling and fouling his own players and heading the ball randomly around our own area until Tottenham eventually scored.

Or the one last season at West Ham where Noble was allowed to just prat around on the edge of our area for what felt like about 2 minutes, and then played a simple pass that resulted in a goal.

G-MUFC

I'm still fuming at their second goal last night! For the last several years City and Liverpool have had players that give their absolute everything to close down the opposition. It's depressing that Utd players have so little desire to close down the opposition, even when they are in our penalty area.
Sheffield United must wish that they could play us every week. We really have some daft players.

eire-red

Yep, sometimes it comes down to a bit of common sense and in game management. What De Gea was doing is beyond me. We won't win the league with him in goal, it's been a while since he's truly been the differentiator in a game.

A few years ago, he was good for 10-15 points a season, not it's gone the other way around. Saying that he's not the only one at fault, Martial and Tuanzebe are also unforgivable for that goal. A real comedy of errors.

Waynne

Too much focus on hitting teams on the counter attack. This is the reason for De Gea passing the ball out from the back hoping someone would get on the end of it and launch the counter.
In tight games common sense should prevail to just get rid of the ball when its in your box. You take chances by playing it out the back for the counter when you're 2+ goals up in the scoreline.

But in fairness the 2nd goal was a comedy of errors with the biggest contributor being Martial standing there with his hands behind his back. He barely moved a meter in those 2 opportunities that Burke found himself in acres of space just behind Martial.
Martial is marking no one and is not even aware of Burke. I'm still fuming at that goal.

Lentwood

I think that was our worst performance in the PL era, never mind worst goal!

Yes I remember 1-6 vs City, yes I remember 1-4 vs Liverpool, yes I remember 0-5 vs Newcastle, yes I remember 3-6 vs Southampton of course I remember 1-6 vs Spurs but they were quality opponents who we met on days when everything went wrong and we naively kept attacking.

For me, against an opponent who are/where shockingly poor AND not even at full strength and to not even really ever look like scoring...and the total lack of effort from the players. I’m disgusted

Heinzesight

Yeah, true. One of the first things my coach taught me as a kid: “If in doubt, hit it out”

Just got to put your foot through the fecker sometimes.

Njord

Three stand out bad goals that I can remember:

Second goal yesterday
0-1 in Istanbul
Sigurdsson at Goodison in Ole's first year

Matic played a big part in all three. Every time he's in bad form it feels like the opposition can stroll easily through our midfield.

Fitchett

De Gea taking an age to clear a back pass, when in oceans of space, which rebounded off Calvert-Lewin and into the net, early on at Goodison last season, has to be up there. That was absolutely shocking, casual goalkeeping, which cost us a win there.

Longshanks

Rio Ferdinands own goal agains Pompey springs to mind managed to score an own goal with a back pass under no pressure IIRC.

Most goals involve a feck up somewhere along the line, last nights was a real humdinger but not the worst ever conceded in the PL era no there's been plenty worse that that.

RashyForPM

Yes I remember 1-6 vs City, yes I remember 1-4 vs Liverpool, yes I remember 0-5 vs Newcastle, yes I remember 3-6 vs Southampton of course I remember 1-6 vs Spurs but they were quality opponents who we met on days when everything went wrong and we naively kept attacking.

For me, against an opponent who are/where shockingly poor AND not even at full strength and to not even really ever look like scoring...and the total lack of effort from the players. I’m disgusted
The cup game against these guys back in 2016 under LvG was worse, but yeah, that was the cup and we actually won that game. I cannot remember a worst performance in the league as well. We created 1 chance all game against one of the worst sides I’ve ever seen in the PL.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The Taibi goal will take some beating but this is up there and could be worse. I haven’t seen the Taibi one in years.
Knew someone would mention this but this is worse because almost half the players we had on the pitch was at fault at different moments in the lead up to it.

Tapori

This is worse because of the time lapse and so many players making just horrendous decisions. Repeatedly.
If it was cricket it would be accused of match fixing.

croadyman

Yeah last night was miles worse than those games because like you say the opposition was well supposedly another level

Danillaco

Exactly the thought I had after the game last night. Horrible, pathetic and absurd. Sunday league stuff. Very worrying that we can switch our concentration and determination off like that for almost an entire match every now and then.
When I was watching the goal unfold, I kept think why the feck people are not sprinting for the ball, trying hard to stop it and kick it away. But the play kept going,. When they scored I was unable to understand why the feck no one did anything.

The more I look, the more I get mad.

cyril C

Reminded me of the Leipzig goal. Similar in that it was due to poor communication. De Gea needs to own his area, which he failed to do for both goals yesterday.
What? Do you expect DDG to go out and clear the ball, 10 of you useless let me clear it first? DDG was not protected on the 1st goal, so keeper should elbow any intruder first? DDG was at fault a lot last season in particular, but he must be protected by the team to do his job. Tuanzebe failed big time, together with a few of his team mates.

Fingeredmouse

I can't think of one that was so collectively bad. It was bizarre watching it thinking: "Why is no-one closing down anyone? Has the whistle gone?". It's confusingly bad.

Jibbs

It was comedy of errors... but it was started with comically weak clearance from de gea. I just have no faith in this guy. I sincerely hope this is his last year here.