Is this the worst it's been?

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
No, it is not. Not even close to Mourinhos last season. He didn't just shit-talk his own players, he left the club in probably the worst state it has been since SAF retired. OGS will have done the oppsite. This forum needs to chill out and really think back. OGS has build a strong football team, Mourinho shattered one.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
No, we have better platers than we had at other points in the last few years, so there's more potential upside going forward.
Yeah, I agree. This is the worst performance but things are nowhere near as devoid of hope as they were under Jose.

Hughie77

No, it is not. Not even close to Mourinhos last season. He didn't just shit-talk his own players, he left the club in probably the worst state it has been since SAF retired. OGS will have done the oppsite. This forum needs to chill out and really think back. OGS has build a strong football team, Mourinho shattered one.
Agree with that, this result has other agendas which haven't manifested yet. Oles just imo gone as far as he can

Someone

Something
No previous manager had the team collapsing like that. So yeah this is the lowest point post fergie.

Godfather

Hardly Ole's success. Mou hasn't been backed in the summer before he left. Ole has been shat at with money. Threw it out left and right and still we have no CM. And for the squad we have our football is even worse.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Groundhog day. :lol:
Spot on. :lol:

This truly is a Groundhog Day, turned from the movie to TV Series that keeps going for 7 years with the same dialogues and same actors who are not even appearing on screen while being in the cast list on IMDB.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Hardly Ole's success. Mou hasn't been backed in the summer before he left. Ole has been shat at with money. Threw it out left and right and still we have no CM. And for the squad we have our football is even worse.
What team would you want our next manager to start with? The one OGS has now, or the one we had when Mou left? And Mou was backed for two whole seasons. Anyway, let's not argue about the past. Mou is history and OGS will be the same soon. I just hope we don't get Conte as our next manager.

Godfather

What team would you want our next manager to start with? The one OGS has now, or the one we had when Mou left? And Mou was backed for two whole seasons. Anyway, let's not argue about the past. Mou is history and OGS will be the same soon. I just hope we don't get Conte as our next manager.
The squad now obviously. But that's nothing Ole should get credit for. He's just been immensely backed by our board. More so than any other manager post Fergie. Did feck all with it but at least a new manager can work with that squad.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
No, the squad is the best it's been post-Fergie and with the right managerial appointment and a couple of quality signings we could be onto something. We're obviously going nowhere under the current management though, but what else is new?

Schmeichel=God

He knew what he was doing. I don't blame him for it
And Ronaldo was at it as well to some extent! How his wasnt a red despite contact with the ball is beyond me.

In one way you cant blame Pogba because the mismanagement at this club over the years has been severe. He has absolutely wasted his career at this club.

But yes, corporate failure at an extreme level. Ruining a juggernaut. To me this is Myspace/Facebook levels of failure. Myspace could have and should have stayed on top. Mismanagement and boom, multi billion pound possibilities gone.

Man Utd = Myspace
Chelsea = Facebook
City & Liverpool = Instagram
Newcastle = TikTok?

I went well off the rails there :lol: so forgive me.

Not nearly as bad as the eighties, when I first became a fan as a kid, but today is the worst I've ever felt after a home game, including the 1-6 versus Bertie. We are a million miles behind Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

tjb

I think it hurts more because 'on paper' this is easily the best squad post SAF, and it just feels like its being completely wasted for no reason.
See this is the problem. It's the reason why people were not sure about United's potential title contention. You can call it the midfield all you want, but one position should not have that level of importance, especially as Pogba would be the partner. We have a squad managers could only dream of, and our league chances have been wasted due to the same romanticism that got us Moyes. That was the fear. Will Ronaldo still be this good at 37, will Cavani still have energy, will Pogba stay, how long will Bruno stay without complaining...you can't afford to simply waste seasons, especially with a squad this talented.

We literally have an attack with Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial . A midfield with Bruno, Pogba, VDB. Shaw and Maguire just led England to the final of the Euros based off of fantastic defensive performances. Varane is a world cup winner and has been one of the defensive fulcrums of a 3 time UCL winning team. De Gea was once the best keeper in the world and Henderson is nothing to sneeze at either. Even AWB has an argument about being the best defensive full back in the league and definately the best tackler in the league. That's a lot of talent. And when you see them not connecting passes, not being able to pressure the opposition ( a feature that has existed throughout Ole's reign), being torn through the middle and not even giving the attackers a chance to express themselves due to a slow build up, its clearly down to tactics and lack of preparation.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is exactly it.

Perpetuated by the exact same sentimentalities that kept Liverpool down for so long after their success in the 80s.
Yea was actually going to post something alone the lines of this. Or even us after Matt Busby.

Bobski

That is the most inept big match performance I have seen from Utd. Structurally a nightmare, and Liverpool didn't even have to be that good to create chances, though they finished excellently, especially in the first half they were making a lot of basic mistakes, giving us the ball in good areas but still ended up 4-0.

Can't be this easy to play against in the PL, every team this season have cut through Utd with ease, MCFred take a lot of the blame on here but in this chaos they have little chance.

Sviken

I mean, if Mourinho was given 500 million as Ole had, he'd probably have this squad, as well. That's a non-argument. Ole's squad isn't due to his genius in finding hidden gems like it's Football Manager or something, he brought already established starters. Which is why almost the entirety of our squad is comprised of 28-30 years olds in their prime... Said players are now wasting their prime away playing under an utterly incompetent coach.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think you get to a point where it's so low that trying to decide what's lowest is impossible. Under Moyes it was shit. Under LVG it was shit. Under Mourinho it was shit. Under Ole it's been shit. The only reason why it didn't feel shit to begin with was due to it being less shit than we were used to, which was pretty fecking shit. Normal service has now been resumed.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
No idea why everyone is so negative. We're like the number one trending thing on Twitter right now. Metrics my friends, metrics!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Moyes was worse.
In case anyone has forgotten or still genuinely believes that Fergie left a team of non leaguers, Moyes took champions, who had pissed the league, to SEVENTH.

Mourinho had turned the place toxic.

Having said that, it's still got to be a sacking. You don't come back from that. After the run of games before it too.

Josh 76

My hatred towards those scouse bastards has something to do with this.

Yes it's the worst day of my footballing life.

Just glad it's come at the stage of my life that football doesn't matter to me as it use to.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
5-0 to Liverpool at Old Trafford there certainly hasn’t been a worse result for United in PL history.

OhGee

This is the worst we've been in midfield and defence at any point post-SAF, easily. What's baffling is how much easier we are to cut through this year compared to last, with essentially the same midfield and spending more on defenders. We're incredibly easy to play through.
You can only run on adrenaline for a while mate. It’s only when the tide goes out, that you see who’s been swimming around naked…

Goku1983

No, the squad is the best it's been post-Fergie and with the right managerial appointment and a couple of quality signings we could be onto something. We're obviously going nowhere under the current management though, but what else is new?
Exactly fully agree the squad is the best in the league but the manager and coaching staff is top 3 worst easily its shocking

SAFMUTD

Remember when it was toxic as feck and the players lowered their guns with Mourinho?

Well we're worse now, what does that say about Ole's ability as a coach?

United Hobbit

Just sat back on the coach for the 7 hour drive home

That was the most pathetic, spineless, abysmal performance I've seen in a long time. And that says something after some of our performances lately

There was no desire, so much back sideways passing as if we were the ones 4-0 up.

No pressing. No work rate. Just jogging about casually. No trying to win the ball. No hard tackles. If I hadn't been there I'd have had said we were playing a non league side in the fa Cup.

He can't hide behind the red card as we were already 5 down at that point. Liverpool could have got more but took their foot off the gas

He was in his seat a lot of the first half. That just sends the message to the players this was acceptable. Or he doesn't know how to fix it so no point him standing up

He HAS to go. I'd have got rid of him after Leicester and never would have renewed him as all the signs were there. Get rid of him now, sign a decent midfielder in the January transfer window and we may JUST win a trophy

Thanks for that goal Ole but we MUST separate Ole the player and Ole the manager. He'd laid some decent foundations but it's time to go.

That was the worst performance I have seen in a long long time. I'd say he's lost the dressing room, the players have a lot to answer for they were playing Liverpool ffs but Ole must be sacked. Tonight.

The fans were fantastic, trying to rouse the team along despite being 5 down. Interestingly, I didn't hear the Ole's at the wheel song (good) bar from the Liverpool fans

United Hobbit

And laughably according to his interview he thinks we've come too far together for him to give up now. Yes he's laid some decent foundations but has looked for a long time out of his depth and we are now going backwards at great pace.

He absolutely has to go. Tonight.

liamp

Feels like this gets asked once a season at this point.

Schmeichel=God

Enough for sky to show a helicopter view and then to see them all walking outside. Those images will go around the world
Just reading your words of that was enough to make me :eek:

Sky owning that media thing! Glazer's will act I feel, if a big deal is in fact made of that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's an awful result but squad-wise, we have a bette squad than a fair few of the last years SAF is in charge. We just need the glue i.e. manager to make this machine work.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sir Matt Busby was the manager last time we lost by five goals without scoring in the at Old Trafford - and that was to Manchester City in 1955. League titles then followed in back-to-back seasons, before two more in the sixties, as well as an FA Cup and a European Cup.

I don't think Solskjaer will bounce back from this, but there is precedence!

Fitchett

I've been watching United for 58 years and that was the worst performance I have seen. I was one month old the last time we lost 5-0 at home! Today's debacle has been coming, this was the best team we have faced so far this season, so no surprise. Ole has paid the price for not appointing a competent, experienced coach to work alongside him. Instead, the biggest football club in the world employs rookie coaches for on the job training! The time for change has to be for a new manager and coaches. Unlike when Mourinho left, we have a good squad of players. A good management and coaching team will get far better results than we are getting now.

Delano

I was there for the humiliations under Moyes. Seeing us played off the pitch against Liverpool, City and losing to the likes of Newcastle etc. I was there when we couldn't score at home under LVG, before a horrendous Norwich team turned us over. And I was there when Spurs destroyed us under Mourinho.

This has all the hallmarks of those times, and particularly the Moyes era. Our home record is horrendous and the worst thing is, I expect us to lose most games at home. With our squad, that's unthinkable.

Enigma_87

You know who
There is absolutely no difference in this game and say Leicester away, apart from quality of the opposition and the score.

Leicester still carved us open. They should've won that game comfortably scoring at least 2-3 more.

Actually apart from 40 odd minutes against Leeds, 30 against Atalanta and another 30 against Newcastle, the blueprint is there for any other game we played this season.