Ismaila Sarr

Chief123

He tore Liverpool to shreds
That’s because Liverpool don’t sit deep. Any team that presses high will always be vulnerable to the likes of Sarr.

I guarantee Sarr will struggle due to most teams sitting deep against us. He is certainly not a player to break down defences or take a man on with close control and skill.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That’s because Liverpool don’t sit deep. Any team that presses high will always be vulnerable to the likes of Sarr.

I guarantee Sarr will struggle due to most teams sitting deep against us. He is certainly not a player to break down defences or take a man on with close control and skill.
just play him against liverpool then

Delano

There was a game after lockdown against Leicester where he destroyed Chilwell but by all accounts he's not consistent.

Would be one for the bench right now I'd imagine as opposed to getting straight into the first 11.

DevilRed

We are going to be amazing on the counter but look like absolute donkeys against a low block.

Can Welbeck err I mean Sarr cross?

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
£40m for a guy who has 6 goals for Watford his entire career. We deserve what we get if we do this deal.

Betson

Not good enough.

I would not worry , we are only at the enquiry stage , between the preparing and intensely preparing stage we are about 6 months away from the making an actual bid stage.

cyberman

There was a game after lockdown against Leicester where he destroyed Chilwell but by all accounts he's not consistent.

Would be one for the bench right now I'd imagine as opposed to getting straight into the first 11.
If we sign him then its Mason out wide and Sarr as the backup along the line.
Its either Mason or Jadon as our starter, Sarr just answers the depth question.

Chief123

If we sign him then its Mason out wide and Sarr as the backup along the line.
Its either Mason or Jadon as our starter, Sarr just answers the depth question.
Exactly this. Sarr would simply be replacing Dan James minutes on the right wing. Not Mason’s.

starman

Out of all the feasible alternatives to Sancho, he would be my last choice.

Hes essentially a bigger stronger version of James, who needs teams to play a high line against him to be effective, which is what he gets at Watford.

Out of all the things that is attractive in Sancho, the only thing they have in common is speed, so would be a strange choice if this ends up being the best fallback option.

Champagne Football

Gary Neville suggested Sarr as a Sancho alternative and this is what he had to say about him -

‘Manchester United need a right winger. He’s a big, big talent, honestly he really is.'

‘I always think, particularly as a wide player, what would I have not wanted to have played against? ‘The first thing is pace. And then you’ve got to think about, can he use his pace? Well yes he can, because he makes really good quality runs: the spin in behind, straight, but also the run inside in between full-back and centre-back – which I always think is the most difficult to mark.

‘But when you let him have the ball, he can get it out of his feet and whip ridiculously good crosses in. So that’s when you’re thinking about the fact that you’ve got a real problem, as a full-back. ‘Because if I get tight, he’s going to spin in behind me. If I drop off him, he’s just going to get an easy cross in and you can’t win.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Kind of a signing that Klopp or Pochettino will make and then turn that player into a superstar. Unfortunately we don’t have neither of these managers, so Sancho will be a safer bet.
Sancho's always the safer bet.

No Love

James - Ighalo - Sarr

:drool:

In fairness, I do quite like Sarr. Not the answer on his own though. Bring him in alongside Sancho and ditch James and Lingard. Never happening in a million years, mind.

Maureen-yo

He’s direct, strong, pacy and quite versatile. Very good squad player to compete with a first choice RW. He’s 22 so time to improve but United definitely need someone to come in and be a part of the best XI rather than a ‘prospect’.

He’s not worth £40 million either and that’s probably why Klopp/Liverpool turned to Jota instead.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Kind of a signing that Klopp or Pochettino will make and then turn that player into a superstar. Unfortunately we don’t have neither of these managers, so Sancho will be a safer bet.
Give it a rest mate

rotherham_red

Whats he like player wise? I take it he is not at Sanchos level.
Imagine James with a bit more strength and slightly more refined.

He'd be a colossal misstep and would do the square root of feck all for our RW issues. For £40m Watford are laughing all the way to the bank.

I'd seriously rather Brooks and I don't mean it as a pisstake. At least with him there's something different he could provide - incisive passing, intelligent runs off and off the ball, and good versatility. Sarr offers none of that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He will be like Pepe, and I don't mean that in a good way.

One of those quick players capable of occasional brilliance but always looks like he's never in control.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We are going to be amazing on the counter but look like absolute donkeys against a low block.

Can Welbeck err I mean Sarr cross?

He looks like he is going to trip over his own legs whenever he has the ball but has pace. Can't wait.

croadyman

Safe to say looking at this thread that Woody should not even think about going for this guy at all

Utdstar01

Imagine James with a bit more strength and slightly more refined.

He'd be a colossal misstep and would do the square root of feck all for our RW issues. For £40m Watford are laughing all the way to the bank.

I'd seriously rather Brooks and I don't mean it as a pisstake. At least with him there's something different he could provide - incisive passing, intelligent runs off and off the ball, and good versatility. Sarr offers none of that.
Bit harsh there. He offers a lot more than James does and has a much, much higher ceiling. He's ripped apart some big teams including Arsenal and Liverpool. He clearly has a lot of talent, whether he can display that consistently is another thing.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I like Sarr and if Sancho didn’t exist I’d be happy to get him. I’ve been a fan of his for a few years since his breakthrough in Ligue 1 and think he’ll turn into a real quality PL player as he does have everything in his locker in terms of movement, finishing and physical ability to be a modern winger/inside forward.

But any player other than Sancho is going to feel disappointing. Maybe that’s a spoilt view but when you have one clearly outstanding target who on paper ticks every box I just can’t get excited about the alternatives.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Where is this notion coming from he can't operate in tight spaces? He's actually a very good dribbler. He's inconsistent with his first touch and passing for me, that is the main issue.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We can have 2 wingers from Championship. Exciting times!!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looks like he is going to trip over his own legs whenever he has the ball but has pace. Can't wait.
The right hand side of Wan-Bissaka and Sarr would be like Bambi on ice.

gorky_utd

I have no problem in signing Sarr. It just means Greenwood remains first choice rw and Sarr will be rotation option. Also james will be moved to lw which probably suits him better. Anyway, we will still need a backup striker but maybe if we can sign Sancho in future , Greenwood might move into ST/ CF position.

Champagne Football

Sarr will go on to have a career every bit as good as Sancho probably, could even end up better than him. I actually got laughed at for suggesting Sadio Mane instead of Mkhitaryan for the right wing, back in the day, as at the time Mkhitaryan had stats in Germany that were so ridiculous that everyone on here was certain he was the new David Silva.

Sancho is very talented, but he is very much flavour of the month. When playing for England he has shown that he is not at International level yet even though he looks like Messi in Germany. There will be plenty of wingers bought for 30 million who turn out to be just as good if not better than Sancho at 108 million.

Utdstar01

I'd take him if we couldn't get Sancho. He's a better player than James. James will probably eventually leave as i think we have a potentially much better winger in Elanga.

OleGunnar20

Decent depth for the RW allowing Greenwood to continue as our first option. A decent buy i reckon, although not worth 40m.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Whats the point in signing Sarr?

40mil now and then going back in for Sancho next summer. Dortmund will still want 108mil.

Indigofink

I've seen him quite a few times and really rate him. He definitely adds something that we dont currently have in the squad but agree he needs to develop a bit and is a long way from the finished article... really good exciting prospect though.

rotherham_red

Bit harsh there. He offers a lot more than James does and has a much, much higher ceiling. He's ripped apart some big teams including Arsenal and Liverpool. He clearly has a lot of talent, whether he can display that consistently is another thing.
I genuinely don't see it. He's better than James but he doesn't offer anything that James doesn't. He's more refined at it but he's not in any way different. He'd come here as a squad player and not much more, and on that basis the max I'd pay for him is £20m, any more and I'd back out.

Just get Brooks if we're not getting Sancho - a more technically proficient player who can fill any number of roles in the squad. With Sarr, it's either wing or bust. Don't buy him if you're thinking he'll take part in pretty passing chains or clever periods of interplay. That isn't his game and never has been.