Ismaila Sarr

Holocene

We need players that are good in tight spaces, not another james type attacker that needs space to be effective, I would rather someone like west Brom's Pereira as a back up option
James doesn't even do what he's supposed to do - stretch teams by using his pace to beat players and provide width. I'm not sure if Sarr would be that player though.

SAFMUTD

Fred is good.
50M good? Thats around what we paid for Bruno. Fred hasn't been able to nail a starting place in the first XI. While he's a useful utility player if we wanted to sell I doubt we would get more than 30M for him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
40m is expensive for another bench player.

I know you need depth but you also need first XI quality now and can’t really afford to wait a couple of years for him to settle.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
God awful! AWB has nothing to worry about
Eh? Why would AWB have anything to worry about Sarr is a RW to a full back for one, and two it's not Sarr's fault if there's no quality in the box to convert the crosses

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Loan would be very good deal, 40 million would be poor. Not improvement on what we have.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
40m is expensive for another bench player.

I know you need depth but you also need first XI quality now and can’t really afford to wait a couple of years for him to settle.
I don't think it would be 40m tbh, that's been the price all summer. They haven't got the interest at that price and by all accounts he and Watford are trying to move on.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would rather save money than fork out on this guy. It would honestly leave a bitter taste to know we went for him when Sancho was prepared to move.

CG1010

This makes much more sense than an outright purchase.. a loan deal will fill up the gap in the squad if we are not signing Sancho. Having said that certainly would prefer someone more established like Perisic (no idea if he is available).

Josh 76

Before anyone even start to bother to go on a rant, don't. I'm not saying he is comparable to Mane but it's hilarious to see how everything is rewritten now that Mane has become exceptional player for Liverpool.

If anyone is interested, this is the thread when we were linked with Mane for the first time. As usual CAF experts thought the player was so below our level, we shouldn't even bother.
What a laugh reading those comments was.
One that stood out
"Rather play Perriera or Januzaj"

acnumber9

If we are going for a cheap backup option out wide I’m not even convinced he’s the best option from Watford. Deulofeu could be worth a cheap punt for somebody.

Lee565

Why the hell would Pereira come here to sit on the bench? We need as good as what we have to challenge and whether we get this lad or not he’s streets ahead of James and is an improving player
Sit on the bench? I'm pretty sure he would get plenty of playing time on the right because Greenwood can play anywhere across the front three so he can fill in for martial and rashford instead of replacing them in games for donkeys like ighalo and james.

Lee565

I can't believe people are comparing sarr to mane, ridiculous and lazy just because they are both Senegalese and forwards.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I can't believe people are comparing sarr to mane, ridiculous and lazy just because they are both Senegalese and forwards.
That’s your inference and has no foundation whatsoever

The comparisons are more likely because both played for unfashionable sides and impressed but both written off as Utd standard

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
That’s your inference and has no foundation whatsoever

The comparisons are more likely because both played for unfashionable sides and impressed but both written off as Utd standard
Nobody who knew anything about potential wrote Mane off. He always looked like he had a high ceiling despite being rough around the edges.

Rolaholic

Nobody who knew anything about potential wrote Mane off. He always looked like he had a high ceiling despite being rough around the edges.
That was true but I do remember suggestions to sign him when LVG wanted him being laughed off by a good amount of fans especially on here. Something something about not being 'United quality' whatever that means...

Safe to say Klopp and LVG knew better than most :lol: :(

BluesJr

That was true but I do remember suggestions to sign him when LVG wanted him being laughed off by a good amount of fans. Something something about not being 'United quality' whatever that means...

Safe to say Klopp and LVG knew better than most :lol: :(
The people who said that are currently saying we don't need Sancho. You don't listen to these people you ignore them at all costs.

jem

And yet the response on that thread from 2015 was pretty negative. A common refrain was that he wasn't United standard, which seems to be what is now being said about Sarr. For what it's worth, I haven't seen enough of Sarr, but he looked fantastic when Watford took apart Liverpool.

BluesJr

And yet the response on that thread from 2015 was pretty negative. A common refrain was that he wasn't United standard, which seems to be what is now being said about Sarr. For what it's worth, I haven't seen enough of Sarr, but he looked fantastic when Watford took apart Liverpool.
Because fans are generally not that clever. It’s quite simple.

izec

I don't rate him.

I liked Mane, and wasn't minding him back then coming here. Even before Pool he was pretty good at times and had good output. He was great against top teams. Sarr is just not on the same level. He is a winger rather than an inside forward. For that, he needs to be better with the ball and in tight spaces, which he isn't. Where is the creativity. Pace and decent technique alone is not good enough when you don't have the output or creativity/skills/decision making. People comparing him to Mane are just lazy.

dinostar77

Who knows how Sarr will turn out with a step up to a bigger club. Who'd have thought Mane would become the player he has at Liverpool when he was at Southampton.

Utd have always been good at developing young talent and making them into stars. We dont get Sancho then fair enough, if the scouts think Sarr has the ability to develop then you gotta trust them. Otherwise why employ them.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I agree with the first part however this is the Caf we’re referencing

MrSingh2002

I like the idea of signing Sarr.

If Sancho signs we could still sign Sarr and let James go.

If Sancho doesn't sign we could take Sarr now and go back for Sancho next summer and then let James move on if needed.

lilcurt

I respect your opinion, and Jota and Thiago are great players - Thiago especially, however its never a dead cert that players will perform at the same level at a new club. For all we know, Thiago could easily 'do a Veron', making them weaker. Likewise, for all we know, Sarr could come to us and whilst i dont think the potential is there to become an elite winger, he could easily be Nani level for us. It all depends on how the team adapts to the things he does well and could those abilities be put to more consistent use.... IE become part of our overall strategy.
You are right of course, there are no guarantees. But you can put the odds in your favour. Signing a better player gives you a better chance of that player being a success of your club. Otherwise we mays well sign load of league 2 players and 'hope' they can grow with our strategy and become world beaters.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Sarr this year and Sancho next wouldn’t be the end of the world but still a shambles from our board.

SiRed

You are right of course, there are no guarantees. But you can put the odds in your favour. Signing a better player gives you a better chance of that player being a success of your club. Otherwise we mays well sign load of league 2 players and 'hope' they can grow with our strategy and become world beaters.
True, true.
I suppose its all about utilising to tools available to each individual player.
A better player will tend to do positive things more consistently.
Given the choice between Sancho and Sar, every man and his dog pick Sancho every time. However, having watched Sar a few times last season, i would be comfortable with what he would bring to our right hand side and quite confident he would improve our side.

CR1

Im looking forward to this transfer window closing so that we can assess the squad and analyze our options for each position etc. The following can be considered my preliminary analysis:

At this point I think the only way for Ole to have a fighting chance of finishing in the top four this season is if Sarr is brought in as our RW. Now, I know he isn’t as highly rated as Sancho. But he is fast, strong and plays with a directness that I think could be very useful against the top teams that are likely to dominate possession against us. For low-block teams we have Greenwood and Mata who I think should be used more. Finally, even though he’s likely not the long term solution to the RW/RF, Sarr is also more reliable than Démbélé which makes him the best currently available option there IMO. Maybe Chukwueze too.

We could then afford to move James to the left as Rashford’s back-up. I know some people don’t rate James, but for me he’s already shown he is good enough to be the back-up LW. It’s all about finding confidence and form for him, as for any player. Confidence is everything in football. Elanga to be our third choice LW/LF.

For CF we have Martial, Ighalo and Greenwood. Consider signing Cavani or King when Ighalo leaves.

Moving on (down) to midfield: BF and VDB are the 10s, Pogba and McTominay are the 8s and Matic and Fred are the 6s. Even though Fred is actually more of an 8, I think he can deputise at 6 in the CL where teams don’t press as much.

In defense, the other area (apart from RW) where we really, really need reinforcements is at LB. If Telles is deemed too expensive perhaps there is someone available on the cheap from the relegated PL teams or the other teams in the Championship.

At RB we have AWB, Williams and Laird.

At CB we have Maguire, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe, Bailly and Mengi. If rotation is used that could be enough. Rotation will be key this season at all positions.

At GK we obviously have DDG, Henderson and Grant plus Romero if he stays.

Lingard and TFM are the versatile squad players that can fill gaps in any position across the pitch. Lingard for all the attacking positions and TFM for all the defensive positions.

So in other words, top four will be hard and difficult to achieve, especially with so many of the teams around us strengthening, but if we sign Sarr or Chukwueze and a LB then we’ll still have a chance. Those two acquisitions would also be far cheaper than the likes of Sancho etc. Signing Sarr or Chukwueze now does not mean we can't come back in for Sancho (or Amad Traoré who I think we should sign) in the future. Players may go out on loan or lose their form etc. But we do need a big squad this season to have a chance of getting top four. Perhaps we can look at getting players in on loan for the CDM/DLP, CB and ST positions in January as well.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apparently we can still buy playing from English teams after the international one closes. Maybe we’d go for the likes of Sarr, Brooks etc if we don’t get players in.

DWelbz19

Apparently we can still buy playing from English teams after the international one closes. Maybe we’d go for the likes of Sarr, Brooks etc if we don’t get players in.
It’s all but certain we’ll do that, isn’t it? Exciting times ahead.

Dec9003

It’s all but certain we’ll do that, isn’t it? Exciting times ahead.
If we lose a couple of games I think they’d definitely start panic buying from these kind of teams. I don’t really know much about Sarr to know if he’d be a good signing or not, Brooks doesn’t really excite me though.

roseguy64

A lot of comments on this thread were probably posted in the Mane thread.

Sarr has the tools to be a similar type of player, he just needs coaching.
Mane was a much better player for Southampton than Sarr has been for Watford.

Bwuk

True, but he also played in a far better side than this Watford side. Manes Southampton side was great.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yup 10 goals and 4 assists in his debut and 11 and 7 in his second season for Southampton.

Sarr 5 goals 6 assists. Still a good return and I think he’s a very good player but he’s not been as good as Mane yet.

Godfather

True, but he also played in a far better side than this Watford side. Manes Southampton side was great.
He was the standout player for Salzburg too. Nothing to do with the side he's played with he's just a way better talent.

AsonUnique

I think the comparisons to Mane are unfair. Maybe I am too desperate for an actual RWer, we haven't had one since the snake and even he played more centrally.

Sarr may not be Mane but he is a good prospect with a lot of potential, it was quite a coup Watford got him and he had a pretty good first season in England. Fast, strong, tracks back has a decent shot on him. I would love to see him in our lineup, our other players will take pressure off of him and make him a better player than being Watford's one man counter attack. The biggest concern is how he will do against teams in the block, Watford never saw that. At worse we get him and we rotate him and Mason depending on the game.

I would take Sarr over Lingard and Mata on the right and honestly if it was my money at 40 mil vs Sancho's 108 mil take him there too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No point if they can't be registered for CL. CL registration is closed around when transfer window closes.

Red00012

Ed - Sorry Ole but we won’t get Sancho

Ole - let’s see

Ed - no Ole it’s dead

ole - the boys will be ok

Ed - but the good news is we’ve 2 weeks to sign Sarr

Ole - that’s fantastic