Isn't it great to be back in the Champions League?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Haven't had to look at a single Europa League game or scope opponents from Dinamo Whereisthat this season, which is a blessing in itself. But on top of that, facing these big name players and coaches and having ambition to get further into the competition rather than it being a perfunctory chore that these stages of the EL are, has really lifted the mood for both players and fans alike. It's also fantastic for our players to carve out true names and reputations for themselves by matching up, and proving their worth, against the highest calibre of opponents.

I never really got the posts on here that were along the lines of if we can't win the competition there's no point being in it - the buzz of these games is still the biggest there is whilst we're not challenging for the title; where every game carries massive pressure and importance in themselves.

Also, make no mistake - these nights, these performances are what will make the highest profile of player want to join the club and be part of such experiences.

With our ability on the counter, and the format of the competition, we're not a team many will want to face; after seeing us destroy Leipzig the moment they lost their heads, there won't be an array of teams willing to try and match us with high lines and intense pressing further up the pitch. The reputation we have carved out over just two games will stand us in great stead further into the competition.

I wonder how many of you can hand on heart say you looked forward to anything other than the semi-final and final stages of the Europa League, contrasted to the curiosity you have now for our every game in the Champions League. I'd also ask, now that there's a taste for this level of football, how many of you won't want us to be a perennial fixture?

Long live our Champions League exploits, and let us hope the Europe League doesn't darken our doorstep again!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Amen to this, bro. Thought that I didn't care, but it does feel good. Mostly because in the first two games, it looks like we can mix in with the "big boys".

It might be different feeling if we lost those first two though.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A huge part of it is how much better we generally seem to play against big sides. We can stuff half of the teams from last year's CL semis yet make Brighton and Palace look like Brazil '70.

Given the start we've had in what was just about the toughest group we could have been given, there's no reason we can't go on a very respectable run. With Real and Barca each looking probably their weakest in more than a decade, there's a half decent chance of a Porto/Chelsea/Liverpool '05 type underdog/jammy winner as well.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Isnt that true.

The worst thing with the EL honestly is that the games are played on Thursdays, so if you have to travel to Kazakstan or Israel it tends to feck up your domestic league form. It also means far fewer Saturday matches which i much prefer to Sunday

Bwuk

100%. We need to try and get ourselves back in it every season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Everything about CL is higher calibre than EL. It’s like the difference between broadband and dial up.

Bondi77

It is great that we are back where we belong and what is even better is we are staking a claim to be one of the contenders in this years competition.
I am loving it!

youngrell

Took it for granted for so many years, but the great feeling I’ve had to it this season has made me realise how used I’d gotten to EL. I hope we never have to drop to that again.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's good. But to be honest, I care about the league far far more these days.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I enjoyed Europa league games too but CL games are something else, especially when its' against big clubs.

Varun

Staff
Also, love the league games but it's no match to the buzz of a CL night.

Abizzz

Isnt that true.

The worst thing with the EL honestly is that the games are played on Thursdays, so if you have to travel to Kazakstan or Israel it tends to feck up your domestic league form. It also means far fewer Saturday matches which i much prefer to Sunday
This times a thousand. Well, maybe not that, but the way my brain put it together while reading it:

CL means more saturday matches thus sundays can go back to nursing hangovers and acting like spending time with family.

CG1010

Maybe I am jumping the gun but it does feel that we have gone up a notch and now we would atleast be able to guarantee CL football every season rather the alternative hopping into CL and EL. That's atleast some progress and it does feel nice to be back.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
feck the CL and UEFA's elitist BS - going far out of the way to push aside smaller countries and to ensure the gap between country income widens as much as possible. Will never watch a game. Ever.

But I did pay attemtion to your result. Serious kudos. I'd much rather all English clubs got knocked out as early as possible. But if gun to my head had to choose one English club to win it, I would very begrudgingly have it be you.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Feels great!
The EL is a good competition to win when in it, but can't bother watching yet. We have to enjoy being back and see how far it takes us.

Caesar2290

Been thinking about this myself. Damn it feels good to be playing the top dogs again. And be competent for a change as well.

It's a first time in a bout a decade that I want us to go against Barca, Real, Bayern and see how we fare against them with this team.

Don't care about the result really, just want to see a good performance from our lads.

Reactions: Fortitude

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Isnt that true.

I couldn't agree more. Our weekends here are ok Friday and Saturday which means Thursday nights is when I often go outside with friends/family. Plus watching games on Sunday is terrible because I have to hurry home from work often too

pass.pass.pass

Haven't had to look at a single Europa League game or scope opponents from Dinamo Whereisthat this season, which is a blessing in itself. But on top of that, facing these big name players and coaches and having ambition to get further into the competition rather than it being a perfunctory chore that these stages of the EL are, has really lifted the mood for both players and fans alike. It's also fantastic for our players to carve out true names and reputations for themselves by matching up, and proving their worth, against the highest calibre of opponents.

Long live our Champions League exploits, and let us hope the Europe League doesn't darken our doorstep again!
Fully agree.

I have always also maintained that United got outclassed by Bilbao in the Europa League in 2012 under Fergie not only because they were a good team but also because we couldn't be bothered to genuinely try in that tie. This is a Champions League club.

pacifictheme

I like the europa league. Annoys me how it's perceived in England. Yeah it's not as good as the champions league but I'd sooner win it than the fa Cup or league Cup. Annoys me that we threw away winning it last season through running the same 11 players into the ground, think ole has learned from his lack of rotation which is what we are seeing this season.

But yes it is nice to be back, helps that we have put in two amazing performances so far as well. Need to replicate that in thr league now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Been thinking about this myself. Damn it feels good to be playing the top dogs again. And be competent for a change as well.

It's a first time in a bout a decade that I want us to go against Barca, Real, Bayern and see how we fare against them with this team.

Don't care about the result really, just want to see a good performance from our lads.
The expectation on us is low - we're punching above our weight and every side with greater current repute has the pressure firmly dialled to max to beat us; psychologically, it gives our players the chance to prove everyone wrong, but you can see the excitement and desire they have to prove they belong.

These are the games players want to feature in, arguably more than any other in club football. I think it shows in their every action and the efforts being put into these games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm the opposite at least for this year. Much higher chance of winning the CL than the league.
I'm feeling CL fatigue despite us not doing much in the competition for years :lol:

Just feel it's gotten overhyped tbh. And league footy is a better measure of our progress.

May also have to do with the fact that I'm getting old and can no longer stay up till late to watch the CL matches :nervous:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Agreed, but also if we had lost our opening two games I'd be probably thinking there was no point us being in the competition. But two great nights so far.

MiracleInMadrid

It's fantastic. The years of having to wait till thursday for our match, has been tough. Getting through tuesday and wednesday was rough with all my Liverpool, Tottenham and City mates being pumped for their CL matches. I was week in week out confronted with the fact that we weren't part of the big boys' cup.

Last edited:

Gordon S

Yeah, it is a lot more fun than the EL! I´m also happy we got a though group. Much more fun with these high profile games and all the tension it brings than a more easy, more anonymous group which everyone expects to go through without much effort.

DRM

Oh god yes!! I despise the Europa League, makes me depressed even thinking about it!

sillwuka

You summed that up well.

I did forget the thrill and importance of hearing that Champions League anthem. I got so used to Europa that it just became the norm.

Icemav

It's good. But to be honest, I care about the league far far more these days.
Always felt that the league is your bread and butter and the CL is the icing on the cake. Competing for the title year in and year out is crucial. Winning a CL without this is somewhat empty. A la Liverpool previously.

Raw

It's bloody marvellous. It's a damn shame fans can't enter stadiums yet, Old Trafford would have been absolutely brilliant against Leipzig.

It's the first time in a long time where it felt like we actually deserve to be up there with the top teams. Sure we've had big results before (2-1 away win v Juve under Mourinho, the 3-1 comeback v PSG) but those games felt like we simply got away with it. This season we dominated two very very good teams, we fully deserved it. Long may it continue.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maybe I am jumping the gun but it does feel that we have gone up a notch and now we would atleast be able to guarantee CL football every season rather the alternative hopping into CL and EL. That's atleast some progress and it does feel nice to be back.
Intrigued you say this when we're sat miles down the league and have one point from 9 at home?

There's absolutely no guarantee we'll be top 4

NotThatSoph

I never really got the posts on here that were along the lines of if we can't win the competition there's no point being in it - the buzz of these games is still the biggest there is whilst we're not challenging for the title; where every game carries massive pressure and importance in themselves.

Also, make no mistake - these nights, these performances are what will make the highest profile of player want to join the club and be part of such experiences.

With our ability on the counter, and the format of the competition, we're not a team many will want to face; after seeing us destroy Leipzig the moment they lost their heads, there won't be an array of teams willing to try and match us with high lines and intense pressing further up the pitch. The reputation we have carved out over just two games will stand us in great stead further into the competition.

I wonder how many of you can hand on heart say you looked forward to anything other than the semi-final and final stages of the Europa League, contrasted to the curiosity you have now for our every game in the Champions League. I'd also ask, now that there's a taste for this level of football, how many of you won't want us to be a perennial fixture?

Although it's not looking too promising for them right now, there is a possibility that you have to keep scoping. Dynamo Kiev is in group G, and they're just one letter off.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Intrigued you say this when we're sat miles down the league and have one point from 9 at home?

There's absolutely no guarantee we'll be top 4
I think we will pretty comfortably, lots of people have jumped the gun because we had no pre-season.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Of course I love United being in it but it hasn't felt the same to me since it moved from ITV to BT.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Best enjoy it for while it lasts because your club and others are determined to get rid of it.