Isn't it time we moved away from 'the United way'?

MattofManchester

We don't even embody "the United Way" right now, ffs.

We just see some random quotes about "Sir Alex did this, Sir Alex did that, Sir Alex, history, blah blah", but there's no actual evidence of anything remotely reminiscent of the old Manchester United.

We play dire football. It's an upgrade on Jose, but it's absolutely fecking dire. It is as pragmatic as it gets without being Jose or Simeone level. We don't sign up the best quality in the league anymore, we largely go for good but not the best. Nobody fears us anymore, not even at home, and just about every team believes they can match us and outplay us. Manchester United players used to have a great deal of pride and dare I say, arrogance. Who can you say that about in our current squad? Most of them are tame and never rise to the challenge. United fans constantly living on deluded hope that they will.

Most significantly, we are a club with dwindling ambition that hasn't won anything important in close to 10 years now.

What about us embodies "The United Way"??

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Hes right.
He isn't. Ole is the ONLY former player we have had as manager since Fergie. He is strictly in the job for the foundations he has been laying to restore the United way and traditions. When his done, someone as good a fit, with a much better cv with absolutely no conection to United is going to be hired to lead that united way for the foreseeable future. It's guaranteed.

hobbers

“The United way” under SAF was just ‘having the best manager and coaches and signing the best players’. It's a bogus bit of club propaganda.

Otherwise why would Liverpool have been following the United way better than we have for the last 5 years.

“The United way” under SAF was just ‘having the best manager and coaches and signing the best players’. It's a bogus bit of club propaganda.

Otherwise why would Liverpool have been following the United way better than we have for the last 5 years

Because they have had one football direction for 4 years+. So has City. Whilst we turned direction like we were on a round about till Ole arrived.

The only sensible thing next is to find a superior manager to Ole who can to travel in the same direction. Not another fecking turn at the round about

Hammondo

He isn't. Ole is the ONLY former player we have had as manager since Fergie. He is strictly in the job for the foundations he has been laying to restore the United way and traditions. When his done, someone as good a fit, with a much better cv with absolutely no conection to United is going to be hired to lead that united way for the foreseeable future. It's guaranteed.
So you say he wasn't picked because he's an ex player then immediately say he was by saying

"to restore the United way and traditions".

We need to move away to something more modern and professional.

Hammondo

Otherwise why would Liverpool have been following the United way better than we have for the last 5 years.
They don't, what they do now I have never seen us do. It's more modern.

So you say he wasn't picked because he's an ex player then immediately say he was by saying
al
"to restore the United way and traditions".
Restoring the traditions has nothing to do with being an ex player. SAF restored them after arriving from Aberdeen and having NEVER played for us before either

We need to move away to something more modern and professional.
The notion that the United way. Which is a path way for youth to the first team, belief in youth, making your own stars, a family club atmosphere, risky football on the pitch based around exciting wingers and width is not modern nor professional is laughable in the extreme

SAFMUTD

What exactly is the "United Way"? Winning, playing offensive football and promoting youth?

Seems like most top teams follow the United way.

Hammondo

Restoring the traditions has nothing to do with being an ex player. SAF restored them after arriving from Aberdeen and having NEVER played for us before either

The notion that the United way. Which is a path way for youth to the first team, belief in youth, making your own stars, a family club atmosphere, risky football on the pitch based around exciting wingers and width is not modern nor professional is laughable in the extreme
None of that is what anyone here is talking about, it's about how we play our football.

1 personally am so in demand of supporting our youth system and the things you mentioned, that I would have kept Moyes.

Flytan

The notion that the United way. Which is a path way for youth to the first team, belief in youth, making your own stars, a family club atmosphere, risky football on the pitch based around exciting wingers and width is not modern nor profession is laughable in the extreme
Literally every club believes in their youth. Even LVG and Mourinho started players from the academy often. Hell I'd argue they both did a better job of incorporating players from our academy than Ole has. Ole's done what? Greenwood? LVG/Mourinho had Rashford/McTominay/any number of the random players LVG was forced to play since the squad was so small. That's not the United way. Every club blends in their youth whether it be from their academy or buying young stars and developing them. City, Barca, Liverpool, Bayern, literally every club has developed players into stars. So not unique to United in any way at all.

Family club atmosphere? Maybe? I don't know. Didn't really think United was run that way seeing as I've seen complaints over the past decades about the Glazers and how half the fans in the stadium are there for the "experience" just as much as the game. I'd also argue SAF didn't run the club as a family. He's famously fallen out with an insane number of players and has always acted ruthlessly as a manager (this is a good thing) to find success.

Exciting wingers absolutely. Not sure what this has to do only with United though. Wingers come in and out of style based on what is finding success on the pitch and I don't think anyone should ever argue that we should be stagnant with how we play depending on the times. Club has to evolve or it won't win. Fergie always did it. Fergie set himself up for draws the same way Mourinho did when he was here.

Also not sure why you think our previous managers wouldn't do this. All the traits you mentioned are traits of well run/successful football clubs.

Literally every club believes in their youth. Even LVG and Mourinho started players from the academy often. Hell I'd argue they both did a better job of incorporating players from our academy than Ole has. Ole's done what? Greenwood? LVG/Mourinho had Rashford/McTominay/any number of the random players LVG was forced to play since the squad was so small. That's not the United way. Every club blends in their youth whether it be from their academy or buying young stars and developing them. City, Barca, Liverpool, Bayern, literally every club has developed players into stars. So not unique to United in any way at all.
I literally do not give a flying feck what other clubs do when Im concerned about United matters. For example, under Mourinho there was no clear path way to the first team for the like of the Shoretires, Elanga's and Williams' of this world. Its has been restored under the incumbent. Its been a KEY part and parcel of our culture since the Busby Babes.The notion that it has to be unique to the club to be its tradition betrays a serious lack of understanding of what club traditions and cultures actually are.

Family club atmosphere? Maybe? I don't know. Didn't really think United was run that way seeing as I've seen complaints over the past decades about the Glazers and how half the fans in the stadium are there for the "experience" just as much as the game.
Why do you think there has been an actual gradual but steady change in that since Ole was hired? Including the Glazers finally beginning to engaged with fans

I'd also argue SAF didn't run the club as a family. He's famously fallen out with an insane number of players and has always acted ruthlessly as a manager (this is a good thing) to find success.
The issue here is you have this strange notion that families there is molly coddling, zero standards, no drive and no persistent hunt for success. That is why you think SF dint run the club like family. Connecting the staff to the players and the board. So that standards and legacy where pursued in singular fashion by everyone.

Exciting wingers absolutely.
As stated earlier. There is NO rule on the planet that states traditions of a club have to be unique to them. Seriously....

Not sure what this has to do only with United though. Wingers come in and out of style based on what is finding success on the pitch and I don't think anyone should ever argue that we should be stagnant with how we play depending on the times. Club has to evolve or it won't win. Fergie always did it. Fergie set himself up for draws the same way Mourinho did when he was here.
Stagnant? Huh? What on eartth!!! What is 'stagnant' about being known for playing risky wining football based around wingers? How does that mean you can't ever set up for draw? Why should that ever nee evolving? Yet the team that has won the most leagues in the past few years actually plays risky winning football with wingers?

Also not sure why you think our previous managers wouldn't do this. .....
Really? Did you see ANY of Moyes LVG and Mourinho do it?

Flytan

I literally do not give a flying feck what other clubs do when Im concerned about United matters. For example, under Mourinho there was no clear path way to the first team for the like of the Shoretires, Elanga's and Williams' of this world. Its has been restored under the incumbent. Its been a KEY part and parcel of our culture since the Busby Babes.The notion that it has to be unique to the club to be its tradition betrays a serious lack of understanding of what club traditions and cultures actually are.

Why do you think there has been an actual gradual but steady change in that since Ole was hired? Including the Glazers finally beginning to engaged with fans

The issue here is you have this strange notion that families there is molly coddling, zero standards, no drive and no persistent hunt for success. That is why you think SF dint run the club like family. Connecting the staff to the players and the board. So that standards and legacy where pursued in singular fashion by everyone.

As stated earlier. There is NO rule on the planet that states traditions of a club have to be unique to them. Seriously....

Stagnant? Huh? What on eartth!!! What is 'stagnant' about being known for playing risky wining football based around wingers? How does that mean you can't ever set up for draw? Why should that ever nee evolving? Yet the team that has won the most leagues in the past few years actually plays risky winning football with wingers?

Really? Did you see ANY of Moyes LVG and Mourinho do it?
Yeah I did and I'd take Mourinho over Ole in a heartbeat. If he didn't self-sabotage and was given the same money as Ole we'd have a few trophies by now. LVG and Moyes have both proven they're better coaches than Ole. They failed here, yes, but Ole's failed everywhere (including here other than when he was interim).

I honestly can't believe people like you are so fine with mediocrity. It's abysmal to see a fanbase lap up Ole's "United Way".

You "don't care what other clubs do". That's an awful mindset. Like absolutely horrible. What other clubs do and act has a direct effect on United, you completely ignoring that just completely proves you have no desire for United to be good, you just have a desire to try to relive the glory days of being young.

Insulting another member
Yeah I did and I'd take Mourin...
Hold up. You're actually claiming you saw risky exciting wing football under Mourinho? Really?:eek:

I honestly can't believe people like you are so fine with mediocrity. .......
That is because you idiotically keep repeating this imbecilic lie to yourself. Believing it will miraculously become the truth

You "don't care what other clubs do". That's an awful mindset. Like absolutely horrible.
Typical of your penchant for NEVER understanding what is said to you......

What other clubs do and act has a direct effect on United you completely ignoring that just completely proves you have no desire for United to be good, you just have a desire to try to relive the glory days of being young.
Its maddening how inane you are:
If fecking doesn't matter what the hell others do one bit:

If another club wants to hire a pragmatic manager. It has feck all to do with us
If another club wants to never use its youth, never buy young players and only buy ready made stars. It has feck all to do with us.
If another club prefers to change footballing direction every year a vain attempt to win a few trophies with out a care for becoming a consistent wining team. It has feck all to do with us
I could easily grow this damned list......

Our standards as a club and traditions as a club are the ONLY damned thing that matter!
When we fall behind them our rivals pass us
When we pursue them with singular focus over a steady number of years, they can't live with us. A thing that has been proven time and again by our successful spells as a club!

So yes. I don't give a flying feck what others are doing. Unlike you I don't bloody want to just 'Relive glory days' . Unlike YOU I want them to return and outlive me. So you can go right to hell with your desire to copy other clubs and their standards.

I'll stick to wanting my club to live up to its actual standards that made it great in the first place. If you think that is being "fine with mediocrity'. Go support another club that lives up to your allegedly lofty standards

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We've moved away from the United way for about 10 years now. At least in my view, since I define it as actually winning and being a good team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Probably not. Ole's got the closest, I do think his teams have given fans more expectation. Even though we're not great to watch, we feel more like United. Don't you think?
Ole has got closer but that isn’t an achievement considering what went before him. We deserve a Klopp... we need a manager who has a very vibrant positive brand of football before we even think about trophies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The United way is what is keeping Ole in the job. He has sold the club the idea that he is implementing it and despite a few bumps on the road, part of the United way is to be patient towards the manager

el3mel

Already did earlier in the thread. If you can't be arsed to go find it. Tough!
If that is the United way, then our current manager doesn't follow any of these, what's the problem then ? He only promoted one youngster as a main player, plays shit, incoherent and messy football regularly and has tendency to use double defensive pivot, and bought ready stars like Maguire, Varane, Cavani, Ronaldo and Sancho to the team.

Following him with another manager who doesn't follow the United way won't change much then. Ole has already built us in 3 years a team that has jack shit to do with the United way you're talking about.

Lee565

The problem is van gaal, ole, moyes and Mourinho failed because they are the opposite of the united way on the pitch

izec

You mean Fergies way? Yes. We appointed Moyes and Ole in hope they would be our Fergie 2.0's

If that is the United way, then our current manager doesn't follow any of these, what's the problem then ? He only promoted one youngster as a main player, plays shit, incoherent and messy football regularly and has tendency to use double defensive pivot, and bought ready stars like Maguire, Varane, Cavani, Ronaldo and Sancho to the team.

Following him with another manager who doesn't follow the United way won't change much then. Ole has already built us in 3 years a team that has jack shit to do with the United way you're talking about.
Yeah whatever. Go bore someone else.

Knew that you don't have a response anyway. ..
no mate. I actually do have the responses
Ive been through the same rubbish you just posted with 3 other posters in this thread. I'm not going to repeat myself ad naseum just to waste time debunking your regurgitated bull shit. So that you will constantly reply with the same nonsense of supposedly " I'm a die hard fan of Ole" and "I love mediocrity" and all that jazz whilst paying zero attention to what I actually say. So I'll repeat Go bore some one else. I'm done with the likes of you.

Last edited:

el3mel

no mate. I actually do have the responses
Ive been through the same rubbish you just posted with 3 other posters in this thread. I'm not going to repeat myself ad naseum just to waste time debunking your regurgitated bull shit. So that you will constantly reply with the same nonsense of supposedly " I'm a die hard fan of Ole" and "I love mediocrity" and all that jazz whilst paying zero attention to what I actually say. So I'll repeat Go bore some one else. I'm done with the likes of you.
You get annoyed so easily it's actually hilarious. You must be fun in real life.

Eddy_JukeZ

We should stop trying to recreate SAF through Ole.

That athletic article on Ole a week ago was damning.

This club is literally doing everything it can to try and create SAF 2.0.

redshaw

There's probably a few United ways, a current flawed way of looking back at Ferguson's time and trying to hold on to it by hiring people who played for him to manage or train our team, to playing style, to youth.

What we really need is a top manager. Fergie was this at Aberdeen and thankfully the club stuck with him to turn our larger club around.

We've had two long serving father figures at the club in Sir Matt and Sir Alex. The United way might be once in a while hitting gold while pissing up the money for decades inbetween. We're truly deep in the post Busby phase after Fergie. It might take another decade or two, a change of ownership before we hire the next son of Old Trafford. We don't seem to be a club that can jump from manager to manager and stay challenging.

It's amazing how a billion quid can be spent and not even sods law or the law of averages can we get close to a major trophy. We're like a bad stock trader making so many bad decisions with our money. I think many ownerships could stumble upon one or two major trophies with a billion spent over a decade or be in with a shout at the very least when others are not quite there. We've had chances to capitalize when others have dropped off. We can't even be good when the Spanish clubs aren't there. It's an utter shambles post Fergie.

When Oil clubs have a billion to spend they get people in to run the club properly, in a serious manner and get success and bounce back after a short barren spell, they will hire and buy the better players and coaches to train, to fit a plan, to even sell on and make a profit, we're so poor in that too becasue we recruit so poorly they look utter shite when they play for us. Nearly every player is a write off.