Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Giggsyking

Now, they definitely would not have gained full sovereignty, but it would have been a giant step towards it.
Once they put pen on the paper it's done, well done for Arafat not signing the shitty deal, living legally under the Israeli control for eternity.

Sweet Square

Netanyahu refuses to be dictated to by a foreign leader and launches a massive military assault on Haifa. Declares Hamas made him do it.
:lol:

Really does feel like we are in a Doctor Strangelove situation. In about a decade we will find out just how insane the conversations between Netanyahu and Biden were.

Idxomer

12 voted in favor of the latest UNSC vote for making Palestine a full UN member.

2 abstained and one voted against.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"accept a commitment" :lol:
again, like a lot of this, would be funny if it wasn't in service of an ongoing genocide.

i genuinely believe we will have a scientifically interesting generation of psychopaths from gaza - the ones who are about 5-10 years old now and have lost some/most family. some have recently had israeli drones playing the sounds of children crying at them so that they come out and get shot. i guess their trust in others, value for their own life, etc will be fundamentally broken. there are also the effects of extended malnourishment on brain development.
if they get the chance to unleash genuine hell on israel, it would be deserved.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"accept a commitment" :lol:
again, like a lot of this, would be funny if it wasn't in service of an ongoing genocide.

i genuinely believe we will have a scientifically interesting generation of psychopaths from gaza - the ones who are about 5-10 years old now and have lost some/most family. some have recently had israeli drones playing the sounds of children crying at them so that they come out and get shot. i guess their trust in others, value for their own life, etc will be fundamentally broken. there are also the effects of extended malnourishment on brain development.
if they get the chance to unleash genuine hell on israel, it would be deserved.
Can you elaborate on the bolded? Would you like to see more bloodshed?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Can you elaborate on the bolded? Would you like to see more bloodshed?
what i want is irrelevant
if these kids grow up and get the chance to strike it will be hellish. and to a great extent, a result of this war on them (which is where the "deserved" comes from).
at this point, i think the rational thing for israel to do is to kill and displace and starve more so that this cannot happen.

Revan

Assumptionman
And immediately after that, Russia and China vetoed the US resolution for an immediate ceasefire and return of the hostages.

UN is the most useless thing ever.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
And immediately after that, Russia and China vetoed the US resolution for an immediate ceasefire and return of the hostages.

UN is the most useless thing ever.
Yep, agreed. You’d think in any other situation (democracy and the link) a vote of 12/15 would comfortably carry any motion/resolution but here we literally have 1 vote which vetoes it. What’s the point if it’s that compromised to the whims of 1/minority?

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, agreed. You’d think in any other situation (democracy and the link) a vote of 12/15 would comfortably carry any motion/resolution but here we literally have 1 vote which vetoes it. What’s the point if it’s that compromised to the whims of 1/minority?
As it has always been: to protect the interests of superpowers (the US, USSR/Russia, and China).

France and UK have unilaterally (albeit informally) decided to not use veto power (the last time they used it was in 1989).

MDFC Manager

As it has always been: to protect the interests of superpowers (the US, USSR/Russia, and China).

France and UK have unilaterally (albeit informally) decided to not use veto power (the last time they used it was in 1989).
Interesting, didn't know this, thanks!

Traub

Have you seen some of the members of the security council? The dictionaries in their countries probably don't even have the word democracy in them.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Yeah, pointless organisation.
Have you seen some of the members of the security council? The dictionaries in their countries probably don't even have the word democracy in them.
Yeah I know but my point was more around how voting on matters should (or does) usually work for majority, versus having only a select few with absolute veto powers etc. which makes it completely pointless.