Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Wait… what…!?

Must leave for a “cooling off period”?

Are you supposed to leave the person you’ve fallen in love with behind?
Sometimes a cooling off period can do wonders for one’s temperament… :angel:

The Corinthian

US senator rejects Israeli army report on killing of Palestinian American reporter
Chris Van Hollen calls for independent US inquiry, saying IDF claim Shireen Abu Aqleh died amid gun battle unsupported by evidence

Key bit here:

Chris Van Hollen, a Democratic senator for Maryland, repeated his call for an independent US investigation into Abu Aqleh’s killing in the West Bank in May, saying that the United Nations and reconstructions by major news outlets found that the Al Jazeera television journalist was not in the immediate vicinity of fighting with Palestinian militants and could not have been caught in the crossfire.

“The crux of the ‘defense’ in this IDF [Israel Defence Forces] report is that a soldier was ‘returning fire’ from militants” when Abu Aqleh was struck, Van Hollen tweeted. “But investigations … found no such firing at the time. This underscores need for independent US inquiry into this American journalist’s death.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news...-aqleh-us-senator-rejects-israeli-army-report

neverdie

What's wrong with that? I'm sure the US could easily conduct a fair, nonpartisan review. white
in theory there's nothing wrong with it. it's what should happen. in practice america doesn't tend to do anything that puts israel under the spotlight no matter how badly israel behaves. murdering an american journalist is definitely grounds for an inquiry. but it's all smoke and mirrors. people can be forgiven for laughing at the idea of american bipartisanship in the israeli palestinian matter when they have never been anything but supportive of israeli encroachment into palestinian territory, even moving the embassy to occupied jerasulem. you might say that trump was responsible for that. fine, so biden's admin reversed it? yeah.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
in theory there's nothing wrong with it. it's what should happen. in practice america doesn't tend to do anything that puts israel under the spotlight no matter how badly israel behaves. murdering an american journalist is definitely grounds for an inquiry. but it's all smoke and mirrors. people can be forgiven for laughing at the idea of american bipartisanship in the israeli palestinian matter when they have never been anything but supportive of israeli encroachment into palestinian territory, even moving the embassy to occupied jerasulem. you might say that trump was responsible for that. fine, so biden's admin reversed it? yeah.
Thanks for the reply, but I was a bit tongue in cheek with my response, hence the white text.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Ben and Jerrys are taking Unilever to court (again) for selling its ice cream in israeli stolen land.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Translation:
Retired Lt. Col. Avinoam Emana with poisoning in the main vein, lest they make a mistake and think for a moment that Arabs are human beings. Sentences like "It's much more unpleasant tonight to be an Arab. OK? Remember well what I tell you?", but when he tells them: "You will see them running away most of the time, kill them running away" - this is already an admission of a war crime
2 top replies (also translated):

All the best to him. His legacy is the lesson of the Holocaust - never again.
A very outrageous tweet A commander takes his subordinates to the most complex place, into hell, into the unknown, to protect his country, and stop a criminal threat to innocent citizens. These warriors are required to risk their lives, and carry this scratch for life. They are going to be complicit in a violent act. What exactly did you expect him to talk to them about?

The Corinthian

https://forensic-architecture.org/i...bu-akleh-the-targeted-killing-of-a-journalist

Shireen and her colleagues were clearly identifiable as journalists when they were shot at. Reconstruction based on digital modelling, physical reconstruction and optical analysis confirms that the journalists followed standard protocols for self-identificationand that their large ‘PRESS’ insignia were clearly visible from the position of the IOF shooter in the moments surrounding the shooting. Furthermore, the autopsy report demonstrated that Shireen was positioned away from the shooter in such a way that her PRESS vest should have been easily legible.

Shireen and her fellow journalists were deliberately and repeatedly targeted, with an aim to kill. We identified the bullet retrieved from Shireen’s skull as common to IOF military ‘marksmen’, whose guns are commonly equipped with an optical scope (Trijicon) that magnifies their vision 4x, and would have made their targets clearly visible. The reconstruction of the timeline of events confirms that the marksman had at least twenty seconds in which to visually assess the journalists before shooting the first round, and eight seconds in which to look at them in between the first and second rounds. Trajectory analysis of shots fired reveals a clear line of fire from the IOF’s position toward the group of journalists; close proximity between the gunshots’ impact points, suggesting precise aim; and the consistent positioning of those impact points at above-shoulder height, indicating intent to kill.
Our findings directly contradict the contents of the IOF’s report on the incident, which claimed that there were ‘widespread and indiscriminate shots’ from ‘armed Palestinian gunmen’ present ‘at the time and in the area in which [Shireen] was killed’. Our video analysis and witness testimony confirm that there were no other persons present between the journalists and the convoy of military vehicles at the time of the incident. Sound analysis of the videos capturing the event confirms that the only shots fired in the three minutes preceding the shooting of Shireen came from the IOF’s position and that no other shots in any of the footage analysed came from the vicinity of the journalists. Analysis of the journalists’ movements suggests they initially felt safe enough to walk slowly towards the military vehicles, which is further verified by testimony from journalist Shatha Hanaysha. Our identification of the precise placement and likely background of the shooter also indicated that the marksman shot from within the protection of an armoured vehicle, meaning his life was not in danger at the time of the shooting, nor in the moments preceding it.

After being shot, Shireen was actively and deliberately denied medical aid. Video, audio and spatial analysis confirms that while attempting to provide aid to Shireen, a civilian on the scene was shot at each time he attempted to reach her and entered the line of sight/fire of the shooter.

The Corinthian

So this is the 3D recreation of the killing of Abu Akleh, which traces the bullets fired, where they came from, their trajectory etc.

An investigation by Al-Haq's Forensic Architecture Investigation Unit and Forensic Architecture brings to light new evidence related to the circumstances of prominent Palestinian Al-Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu Akleh’s killing, which reveals the report on the incident published by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) to be false and deliberately misleading. Using previously unseen footage and advanced spatial and audio analysis, our investigation reveals, for the first time, that Shireen and her colleagues were explicitly targeted, despite being identifiable as members of the press; that the attack was unprovoked, there having been no shots other than the IOF’s fired at the time and no armed individuals in the vicinity of the journalists; and that Shireen was prevented from receiving medical attention after being shot.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
If this kind of harassment of kids was happening the other way round you can bet your bottom dollar the whole World would come down on the Palestinians like they do with all the other Islamic countries who are suppressing education. West values are mired in hypocrisy.

The Corinthian

The nursery teachers are telling the kids it’s a wedding to try and keep them calm.

The Corinthian

Palestinian deaths toll in West Bank hits 100 this year

At least 100 Palestinians have been killed in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem this year amid a massive increase in Israeli military raids, according to figures compiled by the BBC.

The number was reached as an 18-year-old man was shot dead in East Jerusalem on Saturday and after a week which saw Israeli forces reportedly firing an anti-tank missile at a house in Jenin that killed a wanted gunman and three others.

It means this year is now on course to become the deadliest for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-63073541