Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Starting to sound like every other middle Eastern dictatorship they regularly pillory......

That and taking American money while insinuating that America is behind the trouble in the country.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
American fascism and pro-Netanyuhu Israel are natural bedfellows.

The Corinthian

Jerusalem: Clashes erupt at al-Aqsa mosque

Israeli police have clashed with dozens of Palestinian worshippers at Jerusalem's contested holy site.
Police say they conducted a pre-dawn raid after what they called "agitators" with fireworks, sticks and stones shut themselves inside the al-Aqsa mosque.
Palestinians say 14 people were hurt after the police used stun grenades and rubber bullets to clear out the group.
At least nine rockets were later fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel, with air alert sirens sounding near Sderot.
The Israeli army said five rockets were intercepted, and another four "landed in open areas".
No group has so far claimed responsibility - but it is believed that the militant group Hamas approved the firing.
Hamas' deputy head Saleh Al-Arouri warned that "attacking Islamic sanctities will have a great price and we will burn the ground under their [Israeli] feet".
The Israeli military later said its war planes targeted militant sites.
The clashes in Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem started after a number of Palestinian worshippers had barricaded themselves in the mosque after Ramadan prayers.
Footage taken from within the mosque apparently shows fireworks being fired by the protesters. Israeli police say stones were thrown at them, injuring one police officer.
Another video appears to show Israeli police beating Palestinians with sticks.
The Palestinian Red Crescent later said that Israeli forces were preventing its medics from reaching the mosque.
Palestinian militants had earlier called for Muslims to lock themselves in the mosque amid reports that Jewish worshippers wanted to sacrifice a goat on the compound for Passover, that begins on Wednesday.
The hilltop site in Jerusalem is the most sacred place in Judaism and the third holiest in Islam. It is known to Jews as the Temple Mount, site of two Biblical temples, and to Muslims as Haram al-Sharif, the site of Muhammad's ascent to Heaven.
The entire compound is considered to be al-Aqsa Mosque by Muslims, but the latest clashes were inside the mosque building itself.
Jews and other non-Muslims are allowed to go to the compound but not pray, though Palestinians see visits by Jews as attempts to change the delicate status quo.

Jerusalem: Clashes erupt at al-Aqsa mosque - BBC News

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Isn't this a tradition at this time of the year? I seem to remember bullshit like this every year around easter.

space

the way the mainstream news ignores the suffering of Palestinians is so sad

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's ridiculous isn't it? And this is during the technalogical age we live in. Not the South African apartheid era of print.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Isn't this a tradition at this time of the year? I seem to remember bullshit like this every year around easter.
They do it every Ramadan to show the Muslims who's boss and discourage Muslims to attend. But frustrating thing for them it's having the opposite effect.

Their long term plan is to take over or destroy the compound, they've been digging tunnels under the site for years now.

Pintu

Apparently the Palestinian kids playing football justifies the attack on the mosque.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It always seems to be front page on the largest mainstream media outlets. Or do you mean more the media doing the both sides thing or just taking the Israeli side?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Israeli soldiers physically pushing a praying congregation in the mosque compound. This is sickening and very, very offensive.

space

It always seems to be front page on the largest mainstream media outlets. Or do you mean more the media doing the both sides thing or just taking the Israeli side?
Yeah I mean the both sides thing, or just flat out taking the Israeli side. It genuiniely is painful to me watching it, I don't understand how the media can be so shameless

space

It's ridiculous isn't it? And this is during the technalogical age we live in. Not the South African apartheid era of print.
It's apartheid plain and simple and it is so cruel. Hurts my soul. I went to the protests last year and it felt like the tide was changing slowly. Hopefully this year more can be done. the image of the soldier walking on the prayer mats and pushing the worshippers was very hard to watch - I'm not even religious but I know how offensive that is. It just shows how they see Palestinians as less than human (or are taught to from a young age in the IDF)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's apartheid plain and simple and it is so cruel. Hurts my soul. I went to the protests last year and it felt like the tide was changing slowly. Hopefully this year more can be done. the image of the soldier walking on the prayer mats and pushing the worshippers was very hard to watch - I'm not even religious but I know how offensive that is. It just shows how they see Palestinians as less than human (or are taught to from a young age in the IDF)
Another terrorist act in Tel-Aviv happened just now which means even more escalation from Ben Gvir which means... I wouldn't expect much, sadly.

Amir

Another terrorist act in Tel-Aviv happened just now which means even more escalation from Ben Gvir which means... I wouldn't expect much, sadly.
A tourist from Italy died, unfortunately. And I fear many more will. This will only get worse, for both sides.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A tourist from Italy died, unfortunately. And I fear many more will. This will only get worse, for both sides.
Yeah. There were so many people there tonight. I was like ~200 meters to the South and we didn’t really realized what was happening until police started arriving from all over the city.

I‘m dreading Israeli’s retaliation move now :(

The Corinthian

Israeli soldiers physically pushing a praying congregation in the mosque compound. This is sickening and very, very offensive.

They’re sick. I wonder what would be the West’s reaction if the roles were reversed? Imagine an occupying Arab force started entering a synagogue and literally preventing Jewish folk from performing their prayers during a holy time.

On top of that, they have shoes on and are intentionally walking on their prayer mats. Absolute scum of the highest order.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
LBC need dominated by hours of talk about Hezbollah, blah, blah. Don't hear any of that when dozens are killed (illegally) the other way in this apartheid. :rolleyes:

Pintu

The way European mass media covers it is so ridiculously biased in favour of the occupying regime. It’s insane how we are all still calling it a conflict when one side has been occupying the other for 50 years and imposing the most brutal segregation system in recent history.

And even when they dare tell about some of Israel’s crimes once in while no one is getting close to calling out the fascist rulers of Israel for what they are.

You will not even see something like this in western media…

AlPistacho

The way European mass media covers it is so ridiculously biased in favour of the occupying regime. It’s insane how we are all still calling it a conflict when one side has been occupying the other for 50 years and imposing the most brutal segregation system in recent history.

And even when they dare tell about some of Israel’s crimes once in while no one is getting close to calling out the fascist rulers of Israel for what they are.

You will not even see something like this in western media…

“Israel retaliates with airstrikes after missile attacks from Hamas” failing to mention the people killed by Israel in weeks before the missile attacks started.

“clashes between Israeli forces and protestors” then you see the videos, soldiers with assault riffles beating the crap out of worshippers/people being evicted from their homes

My favourite from sky news. Show’s propaganda at its finest & most dangerous. A random day. An IDF barracks was attacked by Hamas. I think 60 soldiers injured.

Sky news quoted a Hamas official as saying “this attack is a gift from god”

I switched over to AJ English, because by now I know maybe there’s more to it,. They too quote the Hamas official but they give the full quote “this attack is in response to the 90 Palestinians who were murdered by Israel in the past month, and is a gift from god”

Imagine what the sky viewer thinks Vs what someone who knows what’s going thinks.

it’s literally like hearing that Ukrainian militants have attacked a Russian Barack and not knowing that Russia invaded them last year and all the atrocities that took place.

frostbite

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-65217134

An Italian tourist has been killed and seven other people wounded in a suspected car ramming attack near a beach in Tel Aviv, Israeli medics say.

Italy's foreign minister said Israel had identified the man killed as Italian citizen Alessandro Parini.

Footage from the scene showed an overturned car near a promenade and an Israeli police officer opening fire.

Local police said the suspected attacker had been shot dead by officers.

The attack comes after two British-Israeli sisters were killed and their mother injured in a shooting in the occupied West Bank earlier on Friday.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I see it's that time of year again, when this conflict becomes more emotional than usual for a couple of weeks. And people still discussing who has the moral high ground in this millennia old killing streak, that will never end as long as people allow religion to seperate them? Okay.

space

I see it's that time of year again, when this conflict becomes more emotional than usual for a couple of weeks. And people still discussing who has the moral high ground in this millennia old killing streak, that will never end as long as people allow religion to seperate them? Okay.
Comments like yours are so disheartening. Shows how much work is still needed to be done before people have any idea of the actual situation

The Corinthian

This isn’t the clever post you think it is.

It’s not an issue of religion, it’s an issue of land. You have Christian Zionists, and Palestinian Christians on both sides. You have anti-Zionist and pro-Zionist Jews on both sides. You have Arab Israeli politicians and Palestinian politicians on both sides.

And whilst you can probably trace the land issue back, you only really need to drop a pin in the last 100 years to get a pretty resolute idea of why this is happening today.

Giggsyking

I would recommend you delete your post because it looks very stupid.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

It’s not an issue of religion, it’s an issue of land. You have Christian Zionists, and Palestinian Christians on both sides. You have anti-Zionist and pro-Zionist Jews on both sides. You have Arab Israeli politicians and Palestinian politicians on both sides.

And whilst you can probably trace the land issue back, you only really need to drop a pin in the last 100 years to get a pretty resolute idea of why this is happening today.
How can you possibly divorce religion from this, especially at this time of year? Right now couldn't make that point more clear. It all distills down to three different religions having one of their holiest sites on the same land as you say, but the main differentiator / agitator IS religion. To not get down to the essential issue is to be completely disingenuous to the actual problem at hand.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep. It all distills down to religion.

The Corinthian

How can you possibly divorce religion from this, especially at this time of year? Right now couldn't make that point more clear. It all distills down to three different religions having one of their holiest sites on the same land as you say, but the main differentiator / agitator IS religion. To not get down to the essential issue is to be completely disingenuous to the actual problem at hand.
I wouldn’t deny religion being a factor, but it’s not the overriding point, especially in modern times. You’ve had cohabiting religions living there in (relative) peace for considerable stretches of time in the past. The last 100 (maybe 150) years has seen a considerable shift in this issue from a religious one to a geographical one. The point is there are powerful groups that believe the land itself belongs to them based on a tenuous historical claim, and the current owners, be they Muslim, Christian, Sabian or even anti-Zionist Jew, don’t.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I wouldn’t deny religion being a factor, but it’s not the overriding point, especially in modern times. You’ve had cohabiting religions living there in (relative) peace for considerable stretches of time in the past. The last 100 (maybe 150) years has seen a considerable shift in this issue from a religious one to a geographical one. The point is there are powerful groups that believe the land itself belongs to them based on a tenuous historical claim, and the current owners, be they Muslim, Christian, Sabian or even anti-Zionist Jew, don’t.
Yes, and those groups differentiate from each other by the definition of their religion. Sure, there's crossover now that one might not expect, but the 'battle lines' are drawn through religion. It's become potentially approaching a critical mass in recent years, but that emotion is fomented by religion.

No religion & we'd see something akin to Cold War Berlin in the contested area(s) with potentially far less abhorrent issues like the Palestinian camps, settlers displacing Palestinians, etc. That's virtually impossible now due to religion. My opinion anyways.

The Corinthian

Yes, and those groups differentiate from each other by the definition of their religion. Sure, there's crossover now that one might not expect, but the 'battle lines' are drawn through religion. It's become potentially approaching a critical mass in recent years, but that emotion is fomented by religion.

No religion & we'd see something akin to Cold War Berlin in the contested area(s) with potentially far less abhorrent issues like the Palestinian camps, settlers displacing Palestinians, etc. That's virtually impossible now due to religion. My opinion anyways.
Yes, we can demarcate groups based on their religious affiliation, I’m not denying that, but the fundamental issue is on land. One group that used to own the land in the past believe it belongs to them even though it’s owned by a different group. The Zionist lobby would behave the same way if it was a group of atheists living there. Hell, I’d anticipate they’d behave this way if there were some territorial house cats living there. So there’s a religious element to it, of course, but it’s not the main facet of the conflict.

frostbite

Christians are a tiny minority in this conflict.

The main problem is between Jews and Islam, especially between fanatical Islam and fanatical Jews. And in total numbers, the fanatical Islamists are many more than the fanatical Jews.

The Corinthian

Christians are a tiny minority in this conflict.

The main problem is between Jews and Islam, especially between fanatical Islam and fanatical Jews. And in total numbers, the fanatical Islamists are many more than the fanatical Jews.
What an ill-informed post. First of all, what, in your opinion, is a fanatical Islamist? It’s a made up Western term but how are you inferring it? What’s fanatical about the Palestinians being brutalised in Al Aqsa? Have you been to the region or are you just chatting shite? There’s a lot of secular Jews who believe that a non-Jewish presence needs to be wiped from the land. Shedloads in fact.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
What an ill-informed post. First of all, what, in your opinion, is a fanatical Islamist? It’s a made up Western term but how are you inferring it? What’s fanatical about the Palestinians being brutalised in Al Aqsa? Have you been to the region or are you just chatting shite? There’s a lot of secular Jews who believe that a non-Jewish presence needs to be wiped from the land. Shedloads in fact.
This is that Greek guy who's already voiced his very controversial opinions before. Something about it being natural for him as a Greek to line up against Palestine, or whatever. I'd suggest not going into deeper discussions.

frostbite

As a Greek, what I know very well is that this area had Greeks, Armenians, Catholics, etc ... but never had "Palestinian Christians". It is absolutely meaningless to talk about "Palestinian Christians", it means nothing. Catholics and Orthodox never had the same churches in that area, never had anything much in common, and none of them identified as "Palestinian Christian".

Now, the Greeks in Middle East have had many more problems from persecution from various muslim fractions than from the jews. Do you know anything about the problems that Greeks faced in Middle East?