Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Classical Mechanic

Netanjahu is a madman. Sitting in the powder keg and constantly playing with fire. The reckless killing needs to stop, but with Trump rubbing his hands at the idea of 'good guys' shooting 'bad guys' this is going to continue indefinitely.
Reminds me of Putin, clearly a cold blooded sociopath.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
There's a slight difference between regular protests we see across the world and what's happening in Gaza - with which Israel is in a state of war - in that the entire impulse behind these protests is to remove the barrier preventing Gazans from entering Israel. So the issue goes beyond questions like "do Palestinians have a right to protest?" or "what is the appropriate response to rioting protestors?" to much bigger ones like "do Palestinians have the right to enter Israel as they please?" and "does Israel have a right to prevent Palestinians entering its territory?" And these are questions which go back to the fundamental dynamics driving the entire conflict, which is why most people will answer them in line with their broader view of the conflict.

Hamas want us to believe this is a festival-style protest with Israeli snipers randomly picking off Palestinian women and children at will. Israel wants us to believe that thousands of blood-thirsty terrorists are storming the fence so they can reach nearby Israeli towns to murder Israeli civilians. There are no doubt individual cases which can be cited to support each narrative. But beyond the immediate propaganda war these protests raise fundamental unresolved issues pertaining to the conflict which many seem unaware of.
I am sorry, I would not dare debate the issues behind it with you, I don't have the knowledge. But an altercation where there's over fifty deaths on one side and none on the other reeks of a disproproptionate response. It's the same outrageous thing we all scream when "American cop shoots angry unarmed civilian".

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I am sorry, I would not dare debate the issues behind it with you, I don't have the knowledge. But an altercation where there's over fifty deaths on one side and none on the other reeks of a disproproptionate response. It's the same outrageous thing we all scream when "American cop shoots angry unarmed civilian".
Well if we limit the question to "what means are justified to prevent infiltration from an enemy territory?" then we can for sure have a discussion, because I don't know the answer. My instinct is that Israel has gone well over the top in this case and that less lethal means could have been successfully utilized. But I'm no expert on rules of engagement in cases such as these. It's hard to think of analogous situations.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Well if we limit the question to "what means are justified to prevent infiltration from an enemy territory?" then we can for sure have a discussion, because I don't know the answer. My instinct is that Israel has gone well over the top in this case and that less lethal means could have been successfully utilized. But I'm no expert on rules of engagement in cases such as these. It's hard to think of analogous situations.
We can think of this situation though. Israel knows the Palestinians better than anyone. They certainly knew what to expect on this day, they certainly have enough knowledge to know about the level of threat this meant to Israeli lives, and yet, anyway, this was the way they chose to prepare and deal with it.

rotherham_red

Plenty of states have had widespread protests and violence without any civilian deaths caused directly by the military or police, because as has been stated the first solution shouldn't be to just kill or seriously injure the people protesting. And there have been plenty of cases contrarily where modern democratic states have conducted themselves horrendously - often they've been condemned for it, but that shouldn't make what Israel are doing okay.

Again, the more pertinent problem is that I'm not really sure what Israel are hoping to achieve out of any of this in the long-term. These incidents will only further drive Palestinians seeing their families and friends killed to greater extremes. Hamas are awful, but they're exactly what happens when people are oppressed and seek desperate measures when it comes to fighting back.
It's pretty obvious. They want the status quo to remain. They don't want to give citizenship to the Arabs because then demographically they would be severely at risk of being outnumbered within a generation or two. They don't want to acquiesce land to Palestine because they know that East Jerusalem would have to be given up.

They want the Palestinian cause to be perpetually in the rut that it's currently in because either of the alternatives are almost certainly the end of this ethnocentric settler colonial project.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Israeli ambassador to UN defending it on C4 news. 'The blame should be on Hamas...Hamas committing war crimes sending civilians...'

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I doubt any there are many operations where there is absolutely zero involvement from Hamas.
So if there is any involvement of Hamas anywhere in the entire protest then any member of that protest is a legitimate target for Israels snipers?

MDFC Manager

The question is - why would Israel care about restraint? They have the White House Orangutan by the balls, so it doesn’t matter whether they kill 50, 500, 5000, what’s the most severe response they can expect? A UNSC resolution condemning their actions? It’ll just get veto’d by the US
Harsh to compare a gentle, intelligent species with the orange scum.

Israeli ambassador to UN defending it on C4 news. 'The blame should be on Hamas...Hamas committing war crimes sending civilians...'
Admission of civilian mass murder.

Renegade81

Thats because you don't know enough about the conflict. Hamas are banking on good people such as yourself to buy into their victim narrative.
Im sure the frequent and harmful atrocities Isreal has inflicted upon the Palestinians is far too complex for the good people like our selves to comprehend...lol. With regards to the victim mentality, only one nation in my mind has ever benefited from the victim narrative and that isnt the Palestinians.

Kaos

European Union main countries should follow, but no chance it can happen.
There'll be a few token murmurs of 'we plead with both sides to show restraint' in their respective parliament and that'll be it. No one is going to risk upsetting the US over dead Palestinians, no matter the number.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So if there is any involvement of Hamas anywhere in the entire protest then any member of that protest is a legitimate target for Israels snipers?
They absolutely have the right to protest, but obviously having Hamas - who are still categorized as a terrorist organization by the EU, involved is going to change the dynamics of how such protests are interpreted by the Israelis.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
There'll be a few token murmurs of 'we plead with both sides to show restraint' in their respective parliament and that'll be it. No one is going to risk upsetting the US over dead Palestinians, no matter the number.
No one gives a flying feck about palestine, not even the arabs. At the end of the day it is upto the citizens of the country under attack to fight there own fight.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The Zionists must be delighted with the day. History proves every oppressor and coloniser will have its day. Not even an acknowledgement of the dead is a serious blemish on the character of those who rejoice these actions.

Those excusing this raw aggression bow your heads in shame.

The Firestarter

Whoever is perceived to be involved in the protest , usage of deadly force should be out of the question until there is a reciprocal threat . This really looks like the massacre of the children in SA in the 80s , with the same justification : "But they were throwing rocks".

Sultan

Hamas and the word terrorism is just a tired narrative and a licence, marketing tool to give a reason to kill.

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Same position taken at the WH press conference.

mu4c_20le

Whoever is perceived to be involved in the protest , usage of deadly force should be out of the question until there is a reciprocal threat . This really looks like the massacre of the children in SA in the 80s , with the same justification : "But they were throwing rocks".
This wasn't your usual protest or demonstration though. They (israel) were facing tens of thousands of angry rioters who were also egged on by many clerics to encroach the fence. They were unarmed but I doubt they were there to take the israelis out to afternoon tea. It is unfortunate that the israelis had to open fire but with the huge crowds being whipped into a frenzy I feel like they had to defend themselves and their people. I just think it's not as one sided as the media seem to be portraying it.

Sultan

The leaders of the Arab world are too bothered about their seats of power. Basically, USA bullying (diplomacy). Support us or you're history. Palestinians as with all downtrodden are on their own.

The Firestarter

This wasn't your usual protest or demonstration though. They (israel) were facing tens of thousands of angry rioters who were also egged on by many clerics to encroach the fence. They were unarmed but I doubt they were there to take the israelis out to afternoon tea. It is unfortunate that the israelis had to open fire but with the huge crowds being whipped into a frenzy I feel like they had to defend themselves and their people. I just think it's not as one sided as the media seem to be portraying it.
This is not the middle ages and you have several degrees of escalation before shoot to kill.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Or indeed as the climbing toll of the dead and injured portrays it.

Loublaze

ATLien
European Union main countries should follow, but no chance it can happen.
This. No chance indeed as they all get down on their knees and kiss anything that remotely resembles Israeli ass

Loublaze

ATLien
If talking about these horrific deaths and injuries . Maybe it would not be a good idea of having a picture of you smiling .
You realize that's his twitter profile pic right? Welcome to modern civilization!

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
They absolutely have the right to protest, but obviously having Hamas - who are still categorized as a terrorist organization by the EU, involved is going to change the dynamics of how such protests are interpreted by the Israelis.
Hamas haven't been involved in these protests, and despite that Israel have been murdering Palestinians for the past 7 weeks, so what exactly will change if Hamas does get involved?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Thats because you don't know enough about the conflict. Hamas are banking on good people such as yourself to buy into their victim narrative.
Dozens of people dead is still dozens of lives lost regardless of any ‘victim narrative’

Super Hans

I doubt any there are many operations where there is absolutely zero involvement from Hamas.
See, I don’t understand this. One minute Israel is telling Palestinians that Hamas is putting them in danger by approaching the fence. Then, if anyone affiliated with Hamas approaches the fence i.e. they are prepared to put themselves in harms way as well, it’s “See told you! Hamas terrorists are involved.”

Well actually I do understand it. It’s called hasbara.