Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Fewer Tweets, More Discussion

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Rivlin trying to undo some of the damage:

Super Hans

If Trump is amenable I can't see anything stopping it.
You’re right there. My guess is Trump will approve it just before the election.

And now that the 2 state solution is dead, the real question becomes, how long will the world tolerate an apartheid state?

2cents

Scout
Some recent polling conducted on Palestinian public opinion - http://www.pcpsr.org/en/node/773

While a majority is dissatisfied with the behavior of the PA and Palestinian factions in response to the Israeli demolition of homes in Wadi al Hommos, a greater majority believes that Abbas’ response, to stop implementation of agreements with Israel, is merely a media stunt and will not be implemented; and while support for two-state solution declines, support for armed attacks rises and an overwhelming majority rejects the US “deal of the century” and believes it will not end the occupation. In domestic matters, an overwhelming majority views “honor killing” as a heinous crime, a majority has no trust in the Palestinian judiciary, and more than 60% demand the resignation of president Abbas

2cents

Scout

Last edited:

2cents

Scout
Looking like Lieberman will hold the balance, and there are reports he’s calling for a unity government.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Looking like Lieberman will hold the balance, and there are reports he’s calling for a unity government.
i remember reading small reports on israeli politics in the times of india more than a decade ago when he was the crazy scary outsider.

2cents

Scout
i remember reading small reports on israeli politics in the times of india more than a decade ago when he was the crazy scary outsider.
He’s a little bit unique as far as I understand it - extremely and vocally militarist in his approach to relations with Hamas, Gaza, and the Palestinians and wider region in general, but at the same time a two-stater in his own way (he believes in land swaps which would cede Arab-populated areas around the ‘Triangle’ to a Palestinian state in exchange for the settlement blocs). But the major issue that seems to make him an uncomfortable partner in any right-wing coalition is that he represents an extremely secular element in Israeli society, which immediately puts him at odds with the Haredim parties who Netanyahu depends on, and gives him a certain appeal among the centrists. He’ll likely demand conscription for the Haredim as the price of his support.

2cents

Scout
Some very interesting exit polls coming out right now.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He’s a little bit unique as far as I understand it - extremely and vocally militarist in his approach to relations with Hamas, Gaza, and the Palestinians and wider region in general, but at the same time a two-stater in his own way (he believes in land swaps which would cede Arab-populated areas around the ‘Triangle’ to a Palestinian state in exchange for the settlement blocs). But the major issue that seems to make him an uncomfortable partner in any right-wing coalition is that he represents an extremely secular element in Israeli society, which immediately puts him at odds with the Haredim parties who Netanyahu depends on, and gives him a certain appeal among the centrists. He’ll likely demand conscription for the Haredim as the price of his support.
Also if I'm not mistaken, this was early 00s, it wasn't common for the religious parties to be needed to form a workig coalition?

2cents

Scout
Also if I'm not mistaken, this was early 00s, it wasn't common for the religious parties to be needed to form a workig coalition?
Just had a quick look at Barak and Sharon’s coalitions from that period and it seems you’re right.

(Edit): UTJ joined Sharon in 2004 after he lost his majority following his announcement for the Gaza withdrawal.

2cents

Scout

Whatever arrangements are ultimately made, Ayman Odeh looks to be the big winner, and could end up as the first Arab opposition leader in the Knesset.

Amir

Whatever arrangements are ultimately made, Ayman Odeh looks to be the big winner, and could end up as the first Arab opposition leader in the Knesset.
He won't be, unfortunately. Even if a unity govenment is formed, the 'jewish' parties sitting in the opposition will combine to vote one of their own in that role.

Heck, I'd love Odeh to be a minister. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen either. At least they have power now, though.

2cents

Scout
Welcome to November 2020.
It’s a bit different in this case, there’s no real reason for him to concede defeat just yet since he can still conceivably form a coalition. As far as I know he hasn’t questioned the actual results.

2cents

Scout
:lol: Trump preparing to wash his hands. “Bibi who?”

Revan

Assumptionman
So Netanyahu lost, but neither block can make the government without the Arab parties, unless they make an unity government. The left block actually needs just 3 extra seats to reach 61 seats.

Very interesting.

2cents

Scout
@Amir any prospect of a Likud-coup to oust Netanyahu and facilitate a unity government? Must have crossed a few minds in the last 24 hours.

Amir

@Amir any prospect of a Likud-coup to oust Netanyahu and facilitate a unity government? Must have crossed a few minds in the last 24 hours.
It has crossed a few minds for far more than 24 hours - In the Likud as well - but the base there is very strong with Netanyahu and none of the leading party candidates has the balls to take the risk. Many of them want Netanyahu gone, but without their involvement.

Since it was created in the seventies, the Likud had only four chairmen. They don't oust them easily. In fact, none of the previously three was actually ousted.

I have no idea where this one is going. Netanyahu is likely to be indicted by the end of the year, but the law doesn't force him to quit. And he won't. He's in it for himself now, more than anything.

2cents

Scout
Almost final results:

Interesting little sub-plot: