Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-sheikh-jarrah-jerusalem-police-storm-protest

Israeli military police stormed Palestinian houses in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood of occupied East Jerusalem on Tuesday evening, attacking activists taking part in a sit-in solidarity protest with residents facing imminent eviction.

Three Palestinians were arrested and six injured, local sources told Middle East Eye. The Red Crescent reported that two Palestinians had been hospitalised.

Since the beginning of 2020, Israeli courts have ordered the eviction of 13 Palestinian families in Sheikh Jarrah, a residential area less than a kilometre away from the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem.

Muna al-Kurd, who was attacked on Tuesday evening, told MEE that if Israeli police and settlers take over their houses, “then they will take the whole neighbourhood of Sheikh Jarrah".

'The police attacked the residents and activists who were there in solidarity with us. They brutally beat everyone with batons, sprayed skunk water and dispersed people with mounted horses'
- Abdel Fattah Iskafi, resident
Kurd, whose brother Mahmoud owns one of the houses and was among those arrested, called for international and Palestinian activists to stop the eviction and stand against the Israeli settlers and police.

On Sunday, Israel’s Supreme Court ordered that the Iskafi, Kurd, Jaanoi and Qassem families - consisting of 30 adults and 10 children - evacuate their homes by 6 May.

The Corinthian

Nothing will change until a strong, gutsy leader rises, or until the world pretty much forces us to change.

Unfortunately, niether are on the cards.
What happened to the mayor of Tel Aviv from a few years ago? I seem to remember he was really positive, pluralistic, and spoke about Palestinian Arabs in very respectful and conciliatory terms. What’s he up to now?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
See Instagram have been blocking alot of the news regarding whats happening in Sheikh Jarrah

Amir

What happened to the mayor of Tel Aviv from a few years ago? I seem to remember he was really positive, pluralistic, and spoke about Palestinian Arabs in very respectful and conciliatory terms. What’s he up to now?
He's still mayor of Tel Aviv. After many years of waiting he finally tried to run in the last general elections two months ago, but quickly dropped off and gave up.

Being mayor of Tel Aviv doesn't make you that popular for a large part of the country.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He's still mayor of Tel Aviv. After many years of waiting he finally tried to run in the last general elections two months ago, but quickly dropped off and gave up.

Being mayor of Tel Aviv doesn't make you that popular for a large part of the country.
Are Palestinian friendly Israelis able to survive (politically and physically) in Israel? I know quite a few Israeli doctors hate the situation because all humans come first for them but the general population is about as apartheid as they come, right? To the ordinary Israeli Palestinians are scum and all their land should be taken. All of it.

You'll get the leader that reflects the general population, and therefore they deserve. Same with any other country, e.g. criminal prime ministers in Pakistan before Imran Khan, Modi in India, Trump in America, etc. Specially if they are voted in rather than seize power militarily.

Foxbatt

Where are the sanctions? I mean when someone like Joshua Wong or Navalny is arrested there are lots of sanctions by the EU and USA and UK. They actually have been involved in political activities at least. These are poor people who have nothing left and being thrown out of their homes.

Amir

Are Palestinian friendly Israelis able to survive (politically and physically) in Israel? I know quite a few Israeli doctors hate the situation because all humans come first for them but the general population is about as apartheid as they come, right? To the ordinary Israeli Palestinians are scum and all their land should be taken. All of it.
I think you're going too far. Yes, part of the population clearly feels that way, but I'd say a larger part - the important part - suffer from a lack of knowledge and indifference. They read in the media that 'a 60-year old woman terrorist' was shot and killed with a knife in her and and think that's fine. They don't really bother to find out more, or they have to search for that information as most media outlets just give the army's side of things. The West Bank, Gaza strip... It's like it's all happening in a different world as it doesn't really affect most Israelis.

As for Palestenian friendly Israelis, I'd say it's more and more difficult for them. Politically their share has become smaller as the left-wing parties shrunk. And admittedly, some people now fear to publically support the left - and the Palestenians - as the right is quick to vilify them.

Funnily enough, for many years the party or parties that represent the Israeli-Arabs were considered persona non grata when it came to forming a coalition and a government in Israel. It has now changed partly because of Netanyahu - who always spoke against those parties - has now become desperate because of his trial and tried to use of those parties himself, thus opening the door for his rivals. Hopefully they are able to finally form a govenment - faullty as it might be - and send him to the opposition.

Amir

Where are the sanctions? I mean when someone like Joshua Wong or Navalny is arrested there are lots of sanctions by the EU and USA and UK. They actually have been involved in political activities at least. These are poor people who have nothing left and being thrown out of their homes.
I don't know why Israel has such a protective shield. Maybe it's still the holocaust.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
What happened to the Israeli moderates?

Where are the Israeli’s who are liberal and can see what a dire situation the Palestinians are in?
Surely the whole populace of Israel cant be this inhumane?

Foxbatt

I don't know why Israel has such a protective shield. Maybe it's still the holocaust.
The holocaust was a genocide against The Jews by the Nazis. Isn't it what the Israeli government is trying to do? Wipe off the Palestinians off the face of the Earth? Different period, different methods? The moral right to question The Chinese or The Russians by the US, EU or the UK is now lost.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
the general population is about as apartheid as they come, right? To the ordinary Israeli Palestinians are scum and all their land should be taken. All of it.
Some articles on recent polling:

On support for two-state solution (from 2018, the latest I could find that seems in any way reliable) - https://en.idi.org.il/articles/24664

On attitudes among youth towards Israel’s Palestinian minority (2021) -https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.tim...uth-hate-arabs-back-revoking-citizenship/amp/

On divisions in Israeli society, including the question of Arab parties in government (2021) - https://www.adl.org/news/press-rele...iety-is-increasingly-divided-with-a-record-81

On the question of annexation (2020) -https://en.achord.huji.ac.il/new-ac...majority-public-opposes-unilateral-annexation

Foxbatt

Just saw that FB and Instagram are blocking videos and pics to a certain extent.

Amir

The holocaust was a genocide against The Jews by the Nazis. Isn't it what the Israeli government is trying to do? Wipe off the Palestinians off the face of the Earth? Different period, different methods? The moral right to question The Chinese or The Russians by the US, EU or the UK is now lost.
I don't think it's quite the same, but it the comparison isn't important anyway. It's horrible either way.

Amir

What happened to the Israeli moderates?

Where are the Israeli’s who are liberal and can see what a dire situation the Palestinians are in?
Surely the whole populace of Israel cant be this inhumane?
The left and moderates have massively weakened over the years as for many people, Olso, the peace proccess and the Palestenians have become synonyms for terror and death following the events of the nineties and early noughties.

Since the left is identified with that, it has far less supporters and smaller political presentation, as people probably find themselves more comfortable identifying themselves as "central" - which when it comes to the Palestenians is probably closer to being moderate right.

Most people don't visit settlements and those areas, or Jerusalem. So it's just easier to look the other way as if it's all happening in a different country. It's also easier, as there are plenty of right-winged people ready to vilify people who support the Palestenians (or refugees who came to Israel in recent years and are also being treated terribly - when you think Israelis would be more open to accept them considering our own history).

2cents

Scout

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The left and moderates have massively weakened over the years as for many people, Olso, the peace proccess and the Palestenians have become synonyms for terror and death following the events of the nineties and early noughties.

Since the left is identified with that, it has far less supporters and smaller political presentation, as people probably find themselves more comfortable identifying themselves as "central" - which when it comes to the Palestenians is probably closer to being moderate right.

Most people don't visit settlements and those areas, or Jerusalem. So it's just easier to look the other way as if it's all happening in a different country. It's also easier, as there are plenty of right-winged people ready to vilify people who support the Palestenians (or refugees who came to Israel in recent years and are also being treated terribly - when you think Israelis would be more open to accept them considering our own history).
I saw the videos on FB of the worshippers reading Salah in the Al-Aqsa and the occupation forces firing the grenades and rubber bullets at them. Absolutely shocking.
When will the UN impose proper sanctions on them?
Its about time those incharge were actually held to account for the human rights abuses they force on the Palestinians. If this was China or Russia they would be vilified all over the World!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I saw the videos on FB of the worshippers reading Salah in the Al-Aqsa and the occupation forces firing the grenades and rubber bullets at them. Absolutely shocking.
Its about time those incharge were actually held to account for the human rights abuses they force on the Palestinians. If this was China or Russia they would be vilified all over the World!
Israel are a blind spot to the Western governments. In plain sight. The excuse that the ordinary Israeli can't see what's happening right under their noses is unacceptable apologizing. They know exactly what's going on and are fine with it.

Amir

They know exactly what's going on and are fine with it.
It is easier to ignore. Plus, with army service being mandatory, the soldiers doing those things are the children and grandchildren of the average Israeli. I guess it's kind of hard to fathom they are doing terrible things.

rotherham_red

It is easier to ignore. Plus, with army service being mandatory, the soldiers doing those things are the children and grandchildren of the average Israeli. I guess it's kind of hard to fathom they are doing terrible things.
I think it's because they don't see the things they are doing as terrible because they don't see Arabs as human beings worthy of dignity and respect.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Israel has always had national service, so it's quite likely that the parents and grandparents of today's conscripted soldiers were yesterday's conscripted who likewise did horrid things to Palestinians... And around and around it goes.

Foxbatt

What do you mean by only vilified? There will be heavy sanctions, all government officials put on a no entry list to USA, EU and UK along with Canada and Australia. Security council resolutions. You name it they will do everything.
For jailing someone who was rioting for months and for destroying property and even deaths of innocent people, they sanctioned HK officials. And by a court who most people agree is independent.

Amir

I think it's because they don't see the things they are doing as terrible because they don't see Arabs as human beings worthy of dignity and respect.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Israel has always had national service, so it's quite likely that the parents and grandparents of today's conscripted soldiers were yesterday's conscripted who likewise did horrid things to Palestinians... And around and around it goes.
I can't say for certain. Thing is, Israelis grow up with very little contact to Palestenians. Most of them probably don't even meet them - and many probably don't come into contact with Israeli arabs - until they do so in the army. And when that happens that's not a meeting, it's a soldier and his 'enemy'.

It's sad and unfortunately the right wing that has been dominant in Israel in recent decades has been working exactly on that - dehumanizing the Palestenians, preventing meetings between Israelies and Palistenians that will allow them to actually get to know one another and realise they are not so different.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
What do you mean by only vilified? There will be heavy sanctions, all government officials put on a no entry list to USA, EU and UK along with Canada and Australia. Security council resolutions. You name it they will do everything.
For jailing someone who was rioting for months and for destroying property and even deaths of innocent people, they sanctioned HK officials. And by a court who most people agree is independent.
To be honest there is no independent courts. They are all heavily influenced by either the US or one of the western countries.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
They're just allowed to do whatever the feck they want. There needs to be more accountability, ie pressure/condemnation from the US and other strong supporters.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Every stimulus package that is created by the US, has a lot of funds allocated to Israel. US is aiding them and in a sense helping them commit these terrorist acts. Yes this is terrorism. This is not right what they're doing and the rest of the world will not call out Israel like we should.

My heart goes out to the Palestinians.

The Corinthian

They're just allowed to do whatever the feck they want. There needs to be more accountability, ie pressure/condemnation from the US and other strong supporters.
US gave them $3.8bn in military aid in 2019. They generally give this amount year on year (again, mainly in military aid).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Israel are the worst. It’s just so unfair and sad. If we can broker peace in Northern Ireland surely they could in Palestine. The Israelis won’t be happy until the Palestinians have nothing left. Why would they want peace when they are winning and stealing whatever they want.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
US gave them $3.8bn in military aid in 2019. They generally give this amount year on year (again, mainly in military aid).
And that's why it has to come from them as they are the only ones who can really twist their arms and make them behave. But won't hold my breath.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Some pretty nasty videos doing the rounds tonight. Soldiers actually terrorising and kicking worshippers whilst their praying.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Nicola Sturgeon denounces the Israeli violence against the Palestinians, as has the Scottish leader of the Labour party.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I wish everyone in the Likud party who supports the maniac Netanyahu dies a humiliating and horrible death when their time comes. Death is the only certainty in life and Netanyahu deaerves to die, either languisihing in jail or afflicted with some horriblw disease that rots away his body from the inside. Total Scumbag.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I wish everyone in the Likud party who supports the maniac Netanyahu dies a humiliating and horrible death when their time comes. Death is the only certainty in life and Netanyahu deaerves to die, either languisihing in jail or afflicted with some horriblw disease that rots away his body from the inside. Total Scumbag.
Was he not meant to be doing time for some corruption? Hope he gets the nick with some big rapey guy who takes a liking to his racist arse

2cents

Scout
Logic would at first seem to suggest this has been orchestrated by Netanyahu playing his last, desperate card in an attempt to derail the current political process from which he is excluded. His biographer has an alternative take, arguing that Netanyahu may have lost control of events in Jerusalem (though still bearing responsibility for how things have got this far):