Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
First thing on CNN is about Cheney. This was the same when I checked yesterday. The media coverage is pathetic. If precious, more valuable, western children were being slaughtered instead we wouldn't hear the end of it on the news along with condemnations.

Heck, even posters like yourself who are swift to action on threads regarding cartoon protests are no where to be seen.
I only picked up on it today. Like everyone, I would like the conflict to end. It kind goes without saying that I don't want to see innocent people and children dead.

owlo

You have a fundamental lack of knowledge regarding the topic at hand. A one state solution has been touted by Israelis for decades (and some Palestinians, particularly in recent years as the two-state solution became less and less viable due to settler colonialism).

Educate yourself and you might not have to project and infer what doesn't exist except in your own subjective reading.
No it wasn't. It's always been a minority who've suggested it and has never had more than 1:2 in favour. It's never been a popular idea, ever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-state_solution

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Tbf I saw Emily talking with the Israeli spokesperson or Ambassador last night on Newsnight and she gave her no room at all either, really made the spokesperson squirm. Emily completely went against the spokespersons attempt to use the child shield line and it got pretty heated.

It's hard for the BBC because they have to try maintain neutrality, especially given how strong the Israeli lobby is within the UK.
Fair enough, I haven't seen that myself but will watch it.

I do think there is a certain (deliberate?) misrepresentation of the facts in some of their articles on the matter though.

Careful, if you accuse Israel of not even treating the Palestinias as human beings you're an anti-semite.
You're not allowed to use the word Palestine anymore either as @owlo will think it anti-semitic. Please use the word 'Future Israel' as it's more inclusive.

neverdie

No it wasn't. It's always been a minority who've suggested it and has never had more than 1:2 in favour. It's never been a popular idea, ever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-state_solution
A wikipedia link in these circumstances does not help your case. You can't learn the history of Israel/Palestine in the few minutes it took you to skim that article (which article in fact backs up every assertion I made in the post you disagree with, somewhat bizarrely - that it has been touted by Israelis for decades and gained Palestinian support in recent years owing to settler colonialism).

Here's a slightly more nuanced picture for you:

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/israeli-polls-regarding-peace-with-the-palestinians

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The events of the last few days are heartbreaking but IMO are a culmination of the world ignoring the crimes of Israel’s govt for far too long. Quite simply, feck Israel & anyone who turns a blind eye to their crimes.

Deery

Dreary
The events of the last few days are heartbreaking but IMO are a culmination of the world ignoring the crimes of Israel’s govt for far too long. Quite simply, feck Israel & anyone who turns a blind eye to their crimes.
Yep, it’s not like this is the first time Israel have murdered innocent Palestine children with bombs either, it happens all the time.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
The fact that many people genuinely believe it's anti semitic to criticise Israel is the biggest act of brainwashing I've seen in recent years. Well done to them.

Fingeredmouse

It's a really difficult question to address honestly. For example, in many places [such as this thread] I feel there's a constant undercurrent of accepted anti-semitism. Nobody will talk about it, but it is just 'as is.' On the other hand, you have Israelis jumping up and down claiming anti semitism at every criticism.

As an example: I'm from brexit britain, but I'm not a brexiter or anti immigration. Say I was from Israel and was Jewish, no matter my views I'd just be viewed as 'the Israeli' (synonymous with 'the Jew') - There seems to be very little effort at differentiation between the average Israeli who wants to live in his country safe and secure, and the one who wants to take everything from the Palestinians. Unless you are an 'activist' and 'against israel' you're just the 'scum.' And that obviously is bucketed with 'The Jew,' as Israelis are Jews. And any Jew who has any sort of support for Israel also becomes, 'the scum.' Whereas I'm lucky, not every European I meet sees me as a far right brexit loon. Not every American is stereotyped as a Trump loving loon. Not every Chinese person who is supporting China is 'scum'

So on the final point: Criticising US support/funding for Israel, (whilst in my opinion hypocritical), isn't anti-semitic. (to me). Nor is choosing not to consume products of the country. The anti-semitic aspect would be pushing a narrative that the Israel lobby control the US government, and that Jews have outsized influence over the US or financial systems. This is simply conspiracy theory nonsense. Although, if one was simply targetting Israel, one could reasonably ask why he was targetting US support of Israel and not 100 other nasty regimes like say, Turkey or Saudi Arabia.

Targetting specific policies of the Israeli government is how I tend to do it. Criticise settlements, overreach, overreaction by the military etc etc. (For example: If 200 rockets are fired at cities from known civilian centres, is it acceptable to simply respond with airstrikes and feck the lives of the 9 kids. In my opinion it's not.) Is it acceptable to kick people out of their homes of many decades? They do a lot wrong, especially under the corrupt criminal that leads them now. But I react in the same way as I do with say China; I criticise the government and the machinery, not damn an entire country and culture.
Thanks for the explanation. It's a difficult area and needs to be discussed openly. No, it's not helpful to generalise about all who live in a country bring one with the state and the unique nature of Israel and it's association with the Jewish people combined with the very real issue of antisemitism makes this matter especially fraught.
However, I do feel that, in some cases you are making assumptions of anti-semitism that may very well not be there.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
What a fecked up state. Nothing on CNN about it either.

I will never respect or consider anyone from Israel as having a nation. Illegal occupier of Palestine and scum.

I hope those corrupt gulf countries have some shame and denounce the recognition of Israel
Just to clarify, you are denying the right of Israel to exist?

Kopral Jono

I typically take the pro-Israel position but some of the stuff the Israelis are doing right now is really, really bad.

He's running for mayor of NY.
Which maybe makes it even more weird? If he's pandering to Hasidic voters, well, plenty of them are not necessarily Zionists from my understanding, or have things changed?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The fact that many people genuinely believe it's anti semitic to criticise Israel is the biggest act of brainwashing I've seen in recent years. Well done to them.
As is the case that arguing Israeli lobbying doesn’t exist - it blatantly does and you don’t need to be a conspiracy nut to see it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't think the Saudis are considered in the same way as 'The Jew' which seems to encompass both the people and Israel. I don't think it's true in any event, even if people were to say it. [in either case]. It's a standard anti semitic trope to claim the Jews exercise power on global politics etc.

Here's a few:

- Investigated by who Einstein? Israeli investigators? The Supreme Court (again the Israeli supreme court) are forcing residents out of Sheikh Jarrah. They don't give a shit if their IDF are killing kids. Use your head, ffs.

Read: Jews/Israelis dont give a shit, unless it's their own kids.

- Lovely people, the Israelis.

Read: The Jews. As they obviously mean the Jews in Israel, not the Muslims.

- The holocaust was a genocide against The Jews by the Nazis. Isn't it what the Israeli government is trying to do? Wipe off the Palestinians off the face of the Earth? Different period, different methods? The moral right to question The Chinese or The Russians by the US, EU or the UK is now lost.

Read: The Nazis did this to the Jews. Now the Jews are trying to do it to the Palestinians (Why bring up the Holocaust at all if not directing this at jews - that was nothing to do with the Israeli Government)

- No you can't say that or Rachel Riley will put your face on a T-Shirt.

Read: The Jews will shame you.

What a fecked up state. Nothing on CNN about it either.

I will never respect or consider anyone from Israel as having a nation. Illegal occupier of Palestine and scum.

Read: Jewish scum.

-Standard Zionist response to any criticism of Israel wrongdoings.

-Tell me you’re Pro-Zionist without telling me you’re Pro-Zionist.

Read: The mention of anti semitism of a modicum of support for Israel makes you a Zionist scum, a twat, and whatever other insults they threw at him.

- All this cause of some pro Israel lobby that has outsized influence.
Any other country and Israel would have been under sanctions for decades.

Read: The Jews are too powerful. They control the US government.
Of course its true, for both countries. It isn't racist or anti semitic to say so. Its partly why Saudi can operate with almost total impunity in their war on Yemen or by killing a journalist in an embassy or their terrible record when it comes to women's rights, minority rights or indeed humans rights in general, while Iran receives crippling sanctions, attacks and assassinations.

Israel is essentially an MEDC, a regional military superpower far stronger than any neighbour or surrounding country other than perhaps Turkey and the world's 8th largest arms exporter, yet is the USA's 2nd biggest recipient of military aid and a constant baton to criticise politicians in America, in a way that isn't the case for pretty much any other country.

Does this mean that the nefarious hands of Israel or Saudi controls the mechanisms of power in Washington? Of course not. Is lobbying over exaggerated? Probably. Do these two countries as an example receive disproportionate influence within American politics, considering their tiny populations? I would say so. Clearly you disagree and things like the move of the embassy to Jerusalem happen in a vacuum.

Some of those are, with respect, ridiculous reaches. If someone says the US supreme Court don't care about certain legal opinions, do you extrapolate this to mean they only care about their kids and want other kids to die?

And how long have you been on this board? I've seen loads of posts like lovely people the insert nationality loads of times, attacking in particular the brits or Americans.

Why bring up the holocaust if its about Israel? Is that a serious question? Zionism was started mostly by Jews who'd lived in and been discriminated against in Europe for centuries. The movement gathered pace further due to the holocaust and it underpins the general approach of providing a safe haven for Jews everywhere, in case something like that ever happens again.

The Rachel Riley thing is I believe from when she got herself involved in some twitter spats about anti semitism, I believe mostly in the context of Corbyn and labour support. Don't think it's quite the standard bearer of Jews as a race you seem to think.

I don't like the phrase about respect.

No, I think more trying to deflect the conversation by mentioning random terror attacks perpetrated by Muslims elsewhere or using anti semitism to shield Israel from pretty much any criticism gets pretty old pretty quickly.

For lobbying, see above.

Look, I'm not going to pretend there isn't a stream of anti semitism which unforunately runs through Palestinian activism. I've been involved in the advocacy in my younger days and am infuriated by it every time I see it and try to challenge it when I see it. I also do think the issue takes an outsized importance in many Muslims minds, more so perhaps than oppression against Muslims elsewhere. I've already said I'm uncomfortable with using genocide or the holocaust as a stick to beat Israel with, though for me, it's pretty clear apartheid and ethnic cleansing.

But I have to be honest and say I think you're absolutely reaching here with almost all of these extrapolations and reading what you want to read.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As an aside, imo, the outsized place the conflict plays in the Muslim psyche now, as well as the increased prominence of Islamist parties in Palestinian politics has unfortunately made it easier to paint the conflict as a religious one.

One that exists between the civilised Israel, an outpost of Western civilisation, and the savage Palestinians (read Muslims) who would have peace if only they loved their own kids as much as they hate the Jews.

Not saying everyone believes this of course or even a majority but I've certainly encountered this view more than I did previously.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
As an aside, imo, the outsized place the conflict plays in the Muslim psyche now, as well as the increased prominence of Islamist parties in Palestinian politics has unfortunately made it easier to paint the conflict as a religious one.

One that exists between the civilised Israel, an outpost of Western civilisation, and the savage Palestinians (read Muslims) who would have peace if only they loved their own kids as much as they hate the Jews.

Not saying everyone believes this of course or even a majority but I've certainly encountered this view more than I did previously.
Most people I know are very critical of the Israel goverment, but at the same time having Hamas as palestines goverment doesn't do them in favours in terms of image.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's vile that posts on social media that shame Israel are being deleted/not getting as much reach in the algorithm. I genuinely do think that loads of western countries don't speak up regarding this because they'll then have to take a good hard look at their own historic colonialism. I can't believe there is anyone that actually defends Israel or wishes to recognise them as a state. Disgusting abusive behaviour that should in no way be overlooked.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The defending of Palestinian terrorism on here is just sickening. So is the blatant anti-semitism that often fuels it. At a time where hatred against Jews and attacks on Jewish facilities are almost a daily occurrence in the western world.
Wtf? :lol:

Anti oppression/apartheid/ethnic cleansing = anti Semitic?

Right then :rolleyes:

The Israeli regime along with their US counterparts are the biggest terrorists in the world. I'm not surprised one bit with what's happening to the Palestinian people.
1000%

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Most people I know are very critical of the Israel goverment, but at the same time having Hamas as palestines goverment doesn't do them in favours in terms of image.
The sort of criticism you see from most people is proper privileged western form of criticism "Well this is wrong, but it's not nice that you do this". For those who are able to see it it is obvious and sickening.

Amir

The safety window in the safe room in my apartment isn't working well, so if a rocket falls on me, it's been a fun ride, lads!