Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Fewer Tweets, More Discussion

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Sorry for spamming (@Raoul let me know if I’m breaking any rules).

This particular post is really interesting - a reformed Zionist shares her thoughts.

Roane

Official sources: #Israel has informed Int’l orgs that it intends to blow up two schools: Al-Buraq & Al-Aqsa.These were among centres being prepared to shelter families whose homes were bombed. Nowhere to go. #IsraeliCrimes.
@IntlCrimCourt

A tweet from a Dr Hanan Ashrawi

Foxbatt

Who is the current head of Hamas?
Some guy living in Qatar. I mean Qatar the friend of USA where thousands of American troops are based. Can you believe it? It is like Omad Djalili sketch about Osma. He said we were looking for him for years and where do we find him? In his house. :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Some guy living in Qatar. I mean Qatar the friend of USA where thousands of American troops are based. Can you believe it? It is like Omad Djalili sketch about Osma. He said we were looking for him for years and where do we find him? In his house. :lol:
Would he be a legitimate target or is the power structure of Hamas too diffuse for it to truly matter? Who is the leader of IJ & would the same apply?

I just saw that an senior IJ commander was assassinated today, thus my curiosity about the command structure of Hamas / IJ.

Before anyone reacts, this isn’t condoning what Israel is doing, I just don’t know how decentralized Hamas / IJ is.

redshaw

Not taking into account the last week...

373,000 children in Gaza need psychological support.
73% of all Gazans require food aid to survive.
200+ schools in Gaza were destroyed by the Israelis in 2014.
The people of Gaza have access to electricity between 3-4 hours each day, which severely impacts their lives.
97% of the natural water found in Gaza is unsafe to drink due to pollutants and lack of electricity.
95% of children in Gaza are traumatised, malnourished and / or suffer severe depression.

In wider Palestine -
Israel detain between 500-700 children each year.
20 years in prison sentences for throwing stones.
76.4% of children are physically assaulted.
98% are not told a reason for arrest.
On average, they spend 10-29 days in solitary confinement.

(Thanks to FoA for the stats).
This is the thing

After the current bombing stops and there's some sort of truce with people clapping Biden, this above will still carry on.

Spoony

The People's President

:lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would he be a legitimate target or is the power structure of Hamas too diffuse for it to truly matter? Who is the leader of IJ & would the same apply?

I just saw that an senior IJ commander was assassinated today, thus my curiosity about the command structure of Hamas / IJ.

Before anyone reacts, this isn’t condoning what Israel is doing, I just don’t know how decentralized Hamas / IJ is.
I mean he could be a target (Mossad assassinated the leader of the military wing in Dubai in 2010) but I don't think it really matters that much. The leaders don't matter much in this scenario imo, the overall direction and tactics will remain the same.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'll keep it brief and expand if you need me to. Just got caught up in something.

Yeah I meant Mubarak not Morsi. I so get mixed up with names sometimes as I'm usually writing from memory. Think even copts and Christian groups attest to taking sides.

Think in modern times we take for granted something's in our own countries but use it as an obstacle in others. Eg foreign nurses having to pay 400-600 pounds pa, I believe, to work here. Issues with attire in most settings. Even Hijab for police women discriminates as it's not just head covering so many don't apply. I couldn't wear a thobe or shalwar kameez in some of my roles, even public ones. Had to be shirt and tie etc. Even when I do in private life I get comments and/or questions.

Think I mentioned before I have lived in UK for over 40 years and still get the "why did you come here" in polite conversation.

This is the context I meant my comments in. Obviously where there is clear atrocity then we call it out no matter who, when or where. Just think sometimes there are certain issues used to beat others with when they are similar if not same in modern times in our own countries.
No worries at all and hope you're OK.

Copts are not a monolith, though as I said they tend to siupport the status quo (and I don't think Islamists and Muslims in general in the Arab world have done enough to assay their fears) but my point is that Islamists take a calculated political decision to scapegoat them as the cause for their political failures....which obviously cannot be the case as even if every single Copt in Egypt supported the status quo, it wouldn't be enough. The reality is that many more muslims in Egypt for instance support the status quo than Copts, through sheer numbers alone.

I think its probably obvious from my name that I'm not native to the UK either and while I think the situation in general is perhaps better than some of the wrist cutting implies on here, there's still a lot of problems for sure.

Raven

Seems like China are the super power who have decided to step in. Laying out a 4 point plan, including a sovereign Palestine based on the 1967 lines, and offering for peace talks to take place in China.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Seems like China are the super power who have decided to step in. Laying out a 4 point plan, including a sovereign Palestine based on the 1967 lines, and offering for peace talks to take place in China.
Bloody hell, out of the fire. Into the fire.

China! Uighars!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I read their 4 point plan, and it's sensible but you can't help but feel strange that they're so sensible on this but so inhumane with regards to the Uighurs.

We live in a strange world.

Kaos

I have no love for China but this is at least sounds like a sensible groundwork to build on. Certainly beats having the US as a mediator with their laughable lack of impartiality (gifting all of Jerusalem to the Israelis anyone?). Fully expect the US to veto or hamstring any attempts at a just peace though. A settlement based on 1967 lines does not benefit the Israeli hardliners (nor Hamas), so can see the US stepping in to sabotage this at every step.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I dount they could do worse than the USA in terms of leading a peace process... that said I dont see the USA or Israel accepting it at all

Good soft power / spin though... putting themself on the world stage an a counter balance to US dominance... and in a way where they know they almost certainly wont have to get involved in any meaningful way

That said long term if Gaza was fully soverign / part of a fully soverign palestine it would be a great place to build some ports and airstrips for china (though the USA would probably think anybody else having major military bases / infrastructurein the middle east was an act of war).

Last edited:

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Sheikh Jarrah yep, it's exactly what's happening, the ongoing expansion of israeli territory at the expense of palestinian families too...
Isn't it obvious that even the attempt at summing up such a complex conflict in a completely onesided 1min 25 sec video is destined to be a complete failure?

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Isn't it obvious that even the attempt at summing up such a complex conflict in a completely onesided 1min 25 sec video is destined to be a complete failure?
Sheikh Jarrah issue is not really complex, it's basically stripping the Palestinians of their homes, throwing them out, the video sums it up perfectly.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Sheikh Jarrah issue is not really complex, it's basically stripping the Palestinians of their homes, throwing them out, the video sums it up perfectly.
They shouldn't have harbored hamas operatives in their homes.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
It's one piece of an extremely complex situation and therefor lacks (enormous amounts of) relevant context to be anywhere near a perfect summary. The way in which it is done feels like typical propaganda.