Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Fewer Tweets, More Discussion

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And I am asking where is the Berlin Police getting the information from to post a formal statement on what is going on in Israel?
They never did? You seem to have missed the tweets I was responding to.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Are you trying to tell me that the Berlin police and courts are Israelis?
What do you mean? I shared a statement from the official Berlin police Twitter account. The other is an article from a public broadcaster that quotes a police spokesperson. I think that's pretty self explanatory.

What does Israeli police have to do with claims about Berlin police?
I was reffering to the israeli police handling of those at the funeral. Tbh I didnt even read your post properly which is my mistake apologies.

There seems to be a common factor when those in the West discuss israel/palestine situation. Any time israel is found to be breaking international law the west attempts to cover up those discrepancies such that the rule break pales into insignificance.

Attempts by Western governments to stop protests and outlaw BDS type situations with regards to the israeli products and services is shocking. We can protest against the likes of russia north korea et all but against a country who are imposing apartheid methods to displace and dehumanise a populace is quite shocking and shows that may be we havent learned the mistakes from the past.

Onto your post.

Why are Berlin police attacking protestors? Is it just because they are protesting for Palestinians? Or is it just that they are protesting in general?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why are Berlin police attacking protestors? Is it just because they are protesting for Palestinians? Or is it just that they are protesting in general?
Pro Palestinian protests were forbidden for this weekend, for the reasons I quoted earlier.
Some 70 people decided to ignore the ban and protest anyway and when the police came and recorded their IDs for potential consequences, they took to Twitter and posted "police are arresting us for being being pro Palestine".

I think the question whether a complete ban was really necessary merits discussion. But the way events were presented by the tweets in this thread is seriously dishonest.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Pro Palestinian protests were forbidden for this weekend, for the reasons I quoted earlier.
Some 70 people decided to ignore the ban and protest anyway and when the police came and recorded their IDs for potential consequences, they took to Twitter and posted "police are arresting us for being being pro Palestine".

I think the question whether a complete ban was really necessary merits discussion. But the way it was presented by the tweets in this thread is seriously dishonest.
Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but what was the reasoning for Pro Palestine protests being forbidden? I mean is it forbidden to show support to Palestine in general or is there some other factor?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but what was the reasoning for Pro Palestine protests being forbidden? I mean is it forbidden to show support to Palestine in general or is there some other factor?
I translated the stated reasons a few posts earlier. The police filed for a ban, citing security concerns over past behavior and the courts approved their motion.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I translated the stated reasons a few posts earlier. The police filed for a ban, citing security concerns over past behavior and the courts approved their motion.
Yeah I just read an article, saying police upheld a (temporary) ban due to concerns and some protestors anti semitic slogans. I didnt realise there were 25000 Palestinians living in Berlin.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I suppose it's okay for an openly Islamaphobic party like AfD to do rallys and protests but better not have Palestinians protesting what's happening to their people because of a risk of antisemitism. Why not let the people rally and then arrest those with clearly anti-Semitic messages, but let others really?

I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem with people chanting against all Russians rather than Putin.

Western hypocrisy on this issue is disgusting. I tend to give Germany a bit of leeway on this though given their horrific history with Jews, so they would try to support them in any way, even if that means supporting a country that imposes apartheid on a group of occupied people.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
I suppose it's okay for an openly Islamaphobic party like AfD to do rallys and protests but better not have Palestinians protesting what's happening to their people because of a risk of antisemitism. Why not let the people rally and then arrest those with clearly anti-Semitic messages, but let others really?

I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem with people chanting against all Russians rather than Putin.

Western hypocrisy on this issue is disgusting. I tend to give Germany a bit of leeway on this though given their horrific history with Jews, so they would try to support them in any way, even if that means supporting a country that imposes apartheid on a group of occupied people.
Thank you for demonstrating how easy it is to conflate anti-semitism and anti-Israelism, one often being a disguise for the other.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Thank you for demonstrating how easy it is to conflate anti-semitism and anti-Israelism, one often being a disguise for the other.
It seems the Berlin police were the ones doing that. Using their logic every single protest in world would be forbidden, which sounds very healthy for a democratic country.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
What’s your opinion on Israelis beating Palestinian mourners at a funeral procession?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I think it's entirely fair to ask whether a blanket ban was a measured course of action, whether authorities really applied the same standards as elsewhere. However these bans aren't issued for what's in people's heads, but for what they do. And the far right crowd seems to behave themselves better than the pro Palestine protestors.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think it's entirely fair to ask whether a blanket ban was a measured course of action, whether authorities really applied the same standards as elsewhere. However these bans aren't issued for what's in people's heads, but for what they do. And the far right crowd seems to behave themselves better than the pro Palestine protestors.
:houllier:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So the berlin police has some of those blokes in the water from minority report?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's so crazy about that? The AfD and the elements, who are even worse, know that there are plenty of people with authority, who would love nothing more than to ban their protests. So over time they have learned to put on a facade or be subtle.
Meanwhile, according to the police (and the courts agreed, hence the ban), the pro Palestine protestors got violent and committed incitement of (racial) hatred ("Volksverhetzung").

So the berlin police has some of those blokes in the water from minority report?
They issued the ban based on behavior at previous protests.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
And you obviously are in agreement with police, judging from your posts.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
They issued the ban based on behavior at previous protests.
Yeah, so basically assuming that from now on all pro-palestine protests will end up in violence. They're banned forever then? Does that sound like a legitimate action to you in a democratic nation?

Conor

You're right, you do often call anti-Isreal people antisemites.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And you obviously are in agreement with police, judging from your posts.
Did you gather that from me saying this:
"I think it's entirely fair to ask whether a blanket ban was a measured course of action, whether authorities really applied the same standards as elsewhere."
?

I wouldn't be surprised if due to some form of institutional racism or Islamophobia the pro Palestine protests have a lower threshold for bans. But that doesn't mean the things that were listed by the police were made up.

Yeah, so basically assuming that from now on all pro-palestine protests will end up in violence. They're banned forever then? Does that sound like a legitimate action to you in a democratic nation?
As far as I know the ban was limited to last weekend.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
"I think it's entirely fair to ask whether a blanket ban was a measured course of action, whether authorities really applied the same standards as elsewhere."
?

I wouldn't be surprised if due to some form of institutional racism or Islamophobia the pro Palestine protests have a lower threshold for bans. But that doesn't mean the things that were listed by the police were made up.
They are utterly desperate for you to believe that the police are 'racist' because they pre-emptied Jews being threatened by supporters of proscribed Islamist antisemitic terrorist groups.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
They are utterly desperate for you to believe that the police are 'racist' because they pre-emptied Jews being threatened by supporters of proscribed Islamist antisemitic terrorist groups.
Send him some of the propaganda you use here. Maybe he could be a partner for your hasbara business? Or maybe just maybe you could stop pretending that you arent an islamophobe?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Oh yes, so well behaved the far right crowd is usually:

Saying Islamophobic far right nutters are better than Palestinian protestors protesting against the occupation of their land. Just illustrates the racist mentality people have towards brown people/Muslims.

?

Which you then followed up by saying far right f*ckers who openly chant Islamophobic stuff 'behave' themselves better than Palestinian protestors.

I'm sure there is, regretfully, anti-semetism in those rallies by Palestinains, but if you honestly think the Berlin police actually believe those reasons to be valid enough to stop a protest, and not because they don't want to allow mass protests against the Israeli occupation, then it's naviety bordering on delusion.

Again, if AfD want to organize a rally tomorrow whereby everyone knows there is going to be some Islamophobic chants, no one will deny them that rally in the name of "free speech". Oh sorry, they behave themselves better as they are chanting against Muslims.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh yes, so well behaved the far right crowd is usually:

Saying Islamophobic far right nutters are better than Palestinian protestors protesting against the occupation of their land. Just illustrates the racist mentality people have towards brown people/Muslims.

Which you then followed up by saying far right f*ckers who openly chant Islamophobic stuff 'behave' themselves better than Palestinian protestors.

I'm sure there is, regretfully, anti-semetism in those rallies by Palestinains, but if you honestly think the Berlin police actually believe those reasons to be valid enough to stop a protest, and not because they don't want to allow mass protests against the Israeli occupation, then it's naviety bordering on delusion.

Again, if AfD want to organize a rally tomorrow whereby everyone knows there is going to be some Islamophobic chants, no one will deny them that rally in the name of "free speech". Oh sorry, they behave themselves better as they are chanting against Muslims.
First of all the East is not representative for the whole of Germany. And even in the video you have linked yourself you can clearly see what I described:

I'm not saying these are good people or better than others, in most cases they are clearly "worse". But by and large they have figured out how to tread the narrow path between promoting their ideology and opening up themselves to bans.

At the Palestinian ralleys - at least in Germany - you just have people straight up chanting "dirty jews", supporting banned institutions and last year on Nakba day there were 93 injured police officers in Berlin alone. On the 1st of May this year, historically the day of the year for aggressive protests, it was 30 injured police officers.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
[/QUOTE]
First of all the East is not representative for the whole of Germany. And even in the video you have linked yourself you can clearly see what I described:

I'm not saying these are good people or better than others, but by and large they have figured out how to tread the narrow path between promoting their ideology and opening up themselves to bans.

At the Palestinian ralleys - at least in Germany - you just have people straight up chanting "dirty jews", supporting banned institutions and last year on Nakba day there were 93 injured police officers.
Oh so now we're just going to assume every Palestinian protesting is anti-semetic while PEGIDA (whose bloody name is Islamophobic!) is going to be judged by a couple of lines? Did you miss the posters talking about the make-believe Sharia law coming into Germany? You don't think that's Islamophobic?

And that's a video of protests in Dresden, but you don't think there are Islamophobic chants at AfD rallys held all over Germany? Oh wait, you don't even need to go rallies, here is a quote from AfD itself:

https://www.france24.com/en/20160502-germany-right-wing-afd-party-adopts-anti-islam-manifesto

“Islam is not part of Germany” ran a headline in the AfD policy paper agreed in a vote by some 2,400 members at the party congress in the western city of Stuttgart.

But it's okay for them to rally I suppose eventhough a core of their propoganda is that Islam (so me included) doesn't belong in Germany? I'm sure no one has ever been injured in one of their rallies.

I swear, the excuses you are peddling to prevent Palestinians from protesting are some you will never ever hold for anyone else who wants to protest. And I can't believe you are defending right wing parties in the process of trying to prove your point, a dark corner you've put yourself in.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh so now we're just going to assume every Palestinian protesting is anti-semetic while PEGIDA (whose bloody name is Islamophobic!) is going to be judged by a couple of lines? Did you miss the posters talking about the make-believe Sharia law coming into Germany? You don't think that's Islamophobic?

And that's a video of protests in Dresden, but you don't think there are Islamophobic chants at AfD rallys held all over Germany? Oh wait, you don't even need to go rallies, here is a quote from AfD itself:

https://www.france24.com/en/20160502-germany-right-wing-afd-party-adopts-anti-islam-manifesto

“Islam is not part of Germany” ran a headline in the AfD policy paper agreed in a vote by some 2,400 members at the party congress in the western city of Stuttgart.

But it's okay for them to rally I suppose eventhough a core of their propoganda is that Islam (so me included) doesn't belong in Germany? I'm sure no one has ever been injured in one of their rallies.

I swear, the excuses you are peddling to prevent Palestinians from protesting are some you will never ever hold for anyone else who wants to protest. And I can't believe you are defending right wing parties in the process of trying to prove your point, a dark corner you've put yourself in.
I detest the AfD, they are definitely islamophobic and racist, but the they (mostly) formulate their messages in a way that it qualifies as a political opinion, whereas chanting about "dirty jews" qualifies as a hate crime. One is protected by freedom of speech, the other isn't. It also has to be said that they have been officially put under suspicion by the domestic intelligence services, a first step towards banning the entire party.

I'm also not assuming stuff about all protestors, a court has ruled that there were large enough numbers of hate crimes and violence in the past that a ban on this year's Nakba day is warranted.

What I saw from the conflict suggests to me that the way Israel treats Palestinsians is very wrong, but that doesn't automatically mean I'll turn a blind eye to hate speech in Germany. Or pretend that it's only racism that makes authorities act on it.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I detest the AfD, they are definitely islamophobic and racist, but the they (mostly) formulate their messages in a way that it qualifies as a political opinion, whereas chanting about "dirty jews" qualifies as a hate crime. One is protected by freedom of speech, the other isn't. It also has to be said that they have been officially put under suspicion by the domestic intelligence services, a first step towards banning the entire party.

I'm also not assuming stuff about all protestors, a court has ruled that there were large enough numbers of hate crimes and violence in the past that a ban on this year's Nakba day is warranted.

What I saw from the conflict suggests to me that the way Israel treats Palestinsians is very wrong, but that doesn't automatically mean I'll turn a blind eye to hate speech in Germany. Or pretend that it's only racism that makes authorities act on it.
Convert everything AfD says officially about Islam to Judaism (Judaism doesn't belong in Germany) and then ask yourself if it would be tolerated in German under the banner 'political opinion', rather than hate speech. If you honestly believe it will be treated equally then there is no hope.

AfD, though thankfully lost seats in the recent election, got 10% of votes, that's not some minor party that you can just ban overnight so don't make it seem as if the German government is becoming stricter on them.

And finally yes, the only racist chanting occurs on rallies by Palestinians against an occupation, not by official elected parties against Muslims.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
Send him some of the propaganda you use here. Maybe he could be a partner for your hasbara business? Or maybe just maybe you could stop pretending that you arent an islamophobe?
He seems more than capable of deducing what's really going on without my 'propaganda'. In the meantime, I suggest you try a little harder to pretend this isn't happening either....