Issa Diop

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why was £45m always going to be rejected? They paid £22m for him a year ago. Offering a player on top of that or going up to £70m is quite mad, and just sheer greed from West Ham if that’s what they want.

I like him. Physically complete, which is relatively rare. And you’re right, you can’t get everything.
Because £45m is not an offer you can’t refuse, and Diop is their best defender, signed just a year ago.

sherrinford

Because £45m is not an offer you can’t refuse, and Diop is their best defender, signed just a year ago.
It’s double what they paid for him after one season. Not my money of course, but it would irk me if they rejected that then accepted £70m. They don’t ‘need’ the money. Greed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It’s double what they paid for him after one season. Not my money of course, but it would irk me if they rejected that then accepted £70m. They don’t ‘need’ the money. Greed.
That's not greed, they need the player not the money, so if you want the player you will have to pay more than he is worth because there is no guarantee that they can replace him adequately. If we follow your logic United should just purchase the player that could replace him at West Ham.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure they will be more than happy for United to walk away if we find their fee too expensive for us.

sherrinford

That's not greed, they need the player not the money, so if you want the player you will have to pay more than he is worth because there is no guarantee that they can replace him adequately. If we follow your logic United should just purchase the player that could replace him at West Ham.
It is greed. I agree they need the player not the money and he’s only been there one year - so just refuse to sell. Paying £45m would be paying more than he is worth - they got him for £22m.

Hughie77

Still think we won't get a CB.? Still think there not really looking for one?

Ekeke

Maybe they want to keep their best players and progress. Their best XI is not far behind us. £45m doesn't get a lot these days, they won't get every signing like Diop right.
Yes it does. It got West Ham Diop, it also got them their best player Felipe Anderson for £33 million. Balbuena who was a little better than Diop last season for £3.5 million.

Arnautovic they signed the season before for under £20 million.

Now they've signed Fornals for just under £25 million and I bet next year he'll be linked with top clubs and people will say £60 million doesn't buy you a lot these days when he's being linked with moves for that much.

Ranchero

Maybe this means we have moved away from Maguire?

If we could include Jones in the deal that would be an extra plus. Wishful thinking.

Diop is developing into a good CB. Pace, good reading of the game and composed on the ball. He caught my eye last season particularly v United and Spurs. Only 22 years old.
Top player.... and probably better value in today's market... but West Ham don't want to sell and will no doubt want over the odds to release him. Having said that, it is the same for Maguire or Koulibaly.

So if I had my pick of the three, I would go for Diop. Maguire is okay but prone to go sleeping. Kouliably? Well he is top quality but will be OTT price wise. Diop will, even over the odds, be good value.

john moran

Yes it does. It got West Ham Diop, it also got them their best player Felipe Anderson for £33 million. Balbuena who was a little better than Diop last season for £3.5 million.

Arnautovic they signed the season before for under £20 million.

Now they've signed Fornals for just under £25 million and I bet next year he'll be linked with top clubs and people will say £60 million doesn't buy you a lot these days when he's being linked with moves for that much.
With all the talk about which players coming to Old Trafford at wildly inflated prices like Maguire and Wan Bissaka and with players like Sanchez who we cant give away we hear nothing about change in the UTD scouting system which seems to be the most useless in the entire league if not Europe
Was Diop not recommended to the club last year at 25 million by any one of these guys ?
Sack them all and start again

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think we will get him instead. Maguire in extremely expensive, I mean this guy is also expensive but his price probably in Ed’s range. He looks very good when I watched him. Pace, aggressive but not rush like Bailly, his height allows him to be good in the air, strong. Not sure about his concentration, needs to watch him more. Mourinho was impressed with him when he played against us.

red_de_pologne

dream scenario if they agree to take any of Bailly, Jones or Rojo. Makes you still have hope the club might be heading in the right direction

Bestofthebest

No way West Ham will have Jones as part of any deal. They are not stupid. However, if Utd really want Diop they should really go big for him because I think he will be a better buy than Maguire in the long run. So time to stop messing around and test their resolve and if they still won't budge at say £60m then walk away. We appear to spend so much time talking and stalling over every deal it is no wonder nothing happens. I have had a little bet with a mate that we will not sign Fernandes, de Ligt or any of the names we keep being linked with. That was weeks ago. Once again we are being used to crank up the price of players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We will have the same issue in bringing ball out but still an upgrade over current options.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
we hear nothing about change in the UTD scouting system which seems to be the most useless in the entire league if not Europe.
Was Diop not recommended to the club last year at 25 million by any one of these guys ?
I've been saying this for years, when was the last time that we uncovered a gem from Europe, De Gea..? before that, Ronaldo?
Apparently De Ligt was scouted a couple of years ago, but was ruled out as having potential weight issues..

But clubs such as Wolves & Leicester don't seem to have any problems finding talented young players at a reasonable price.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Is he good enough on the ball? a physical beast clearly.
He averaged 34.3 passes per game last season. If you look at the top 5 leagues in Europe and check players who are CBs and played 30% of league minutes last season. You get 303 players, he was ranked 271st in passes per game (34.4, average is 48.0). So he's not exactly dominate on the ball at least. His pass completion is average too.

Mcking

He averaged 34.3 passes per game last season. If you look at the top 5 leagues in Europe and check players who are CBs and played 30% of league minutes last season. You get 303 players, he was ranked 271st in passes per game (34.4, average is 48.0). So he's not exactly dominate on the ball at least. His pass completion is average too.
Does not attempt many long passes too!

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
That's what I feared. We'll end up with the same problems in build up we have now.

SaintMuppet

So we are already down to 3rd or 4th choices on the mythical list that Ed works from.

I think it’s more likely he consults Youtube...

Kearnkoff69

This guy's a beastly defender, although a little raw on the ball based on what I saw of him last year. Played next to Lindelöf, their skillsets could balance each other out though.

Question for those in here who are so-so on this deal but have seen more of the other European leagues - what CB is still out there that would come in and improve us (assuming De Ligt is off the table, and Napoli will ask for upwards of 100M for Koulibaly)? Skriniar is one who impressed me last year, but I'm not sure Inter will be keen to deal if we try to mess about with the Lukaku negotiations. I've seen Ruben Dias' name mentioned but I wasn't impressed by him in the slightest (granted, I only saw him in the CL and the EL this year). The CB market seems to be very top heavy and the dropoff is steep after you get past the Varane, De Ligt, Koulibaly class.

Ekeke

With all the talk about which players coming to Old Trafford at wildly inflated prices like Maguire and Wan Bissaka and with players like Sanchez who we cant give away we hear nothing about change in the UTD scouting system which seems to be the most useless in the entire league if not Europe
I dont know, but apparently we have the largest scouting network in the league if not europe. So how we end up with such poor signings I'll never understand