Issa Diop

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
First things first, every English team has money and don't need to sell. The only players I would consider getting from the PL would likely be Wan Bassaka and Ruben Neves. The other players are going to be extremely overpriced. With that being said, there are so many CBs around who may not be World Class at the moment but have tremendous potential.

Assuming De Ligt & Koulibaly are not attainable,

1. Dayot Upamecano
2. Ibrahima Konate
3. Milan Skriniar
4. Joachim Andersen
5. Nikola Milenkovic
6. Alessio Romagnoli
7. Jonathan Tah
8. Ruben Dias
We need to tread carefully in signing a centre back. We already have 6. We cannot go buy another one unless they are a sure bet, like Koulibaly, who isn't unattainable, just very costly and probably rightly so. I still don't believe we've bid 90m for him and had that rejected.

I absolutely would not be averse to signing two centre backs with the other being one of those highly promising teenagers, but we'd then either have to shift 2 or 3, or loan them out again for the season.

#teamKoulibaly

Patrick08

I still don't believe we've bid 90m for him and had that rejected.
We haven't, that kind of money will land him here I think. Napoli won't be able to stop him taking last big contract. But apparently we are not spending that kind of money.

KennyBurner

From little I’ve seen he looks good but if it isn’t a major price difference I’d rather Maguire.
From the little Ive seen he already looks a better prospect than maguire. Much more athletic, good in the air and doesn't panic on the ball. I think we should stay far from maguire and sign this guy instead. Maguire is too slow for a high line I think.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We haven't, that kind of money will land him here I think. Napoli won't be able to stop him taking last big contract. But apparently we are not spending that kind of money.
Well, if we're in for Maguire for stupid money, we could just pay a little more and get a better player.

Patrick08

Well, if we're in for Maguire for stupid money, we could just pay a little more and get a better player.
Maguire interest is just paper talk, I doubt we will bid 80m for him. We no longer make purely footballing decisions under Woodward now. Probably the club thinking is koulibaly being 28 for that price is a bad deal and are not willing to spend that kind of money on him, without caring about getting the best squad out there competing for highest honours in the game.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maguire interest is just paper talk, I doubt we will bid 80m for him. We no longer make purely footballing decisions under Woodward now. Probably the club thinking is koulibaly being 28 for that price is a bad deal and are not willing to spend that kind of money on him, without caring about getting the best squad out there competing for highest honours in the game.
Hard to know. I just think given we are stacked with not good-enough centre backs, we have to buy guaranteed quality there, and not compromise.

The only thing that made me hopeful about the Diop rumours, was that the club apparently tried to shift some unwanted players in part-exchange.

Maybe we could do that with Napoli. Or just pay the full amount.

Bestietom

We will not pay 80 million for Maguire. I don't think we will break the record for a CB.
If the most we will pay is 50million then we should go for a younger player like Milenkovic who I think will be a great leader eventually.

GledTheRed

I'd be all for Diop but if they start giving it large wanting huge amounts we should walk away. 60 million is more than fair for him, probably a little generous.

Ekeke

We will not pay 80 million for Maguire. I don't think we will break the record for a CB.
If the most we will pay is 50million then we should go for a younger player like Milenkovic who I think will be a great leader eventually.
We already have the younger CBs who need to prove themselves covered with Lindelof and Bailly. Unless 1 goes we don't need another maybe. Its immediate reinforcement we need and Milenkovic has potential but he also has some days where he is found wanting.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We already have the younger CBs who need to prove themselves covered with Lindelof and Bailly. Unless 1 goes we don't need another maybe. Its immediate reinforcement we need and Milenkovic has potential but he also has some days where he is found wanting.
Selling Bailly would be the smart move, he is often injured and still very raw, then we replace him with someone like Diop.

Patrick08

Selling Bailly would be the smart move, he is often injured and still very raw, then we replace him with someone like Diop.
Injuries can happen to anyone. I think Bailly will have a good season and play first choice if we don't bring in a CB.

Guapa

Looks a player.Wouldn’t mind if this was true.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Injuries can happen to anyone. I think Bailly will have a good season and play first choice if we don't bring in a CB.
I don't really have high hopes or rate him particularly. And three seasons of not being good or available is enough, we should give the opportunity to someone else.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What @JPRouve said. It's not the injuries that are the worry with him, it's the lack of concentration - eg PSG away, or rashness, eg late red against Bournemouth. He was a gamble to begin with, as he had very little top flight football before we went in for him, but he really has regressed over 2 seasons.

shayanr

Rated him when he was still at Toulouse. Top young talent and would be a perfect partner for Axel and Lindelof. He is comfortable playing on the left of central defence so would allow Lindelof to shift back to the right and utilise more of his ball playing abilities I hope.

Also, he is no Smalling on the ball. He is not a ball playing defender like Lindelof but he can pass and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Someone mentioned Ake, which imo is a good shout as well. But I don't think Ole is interested though. Definitely deserves to move to a bigger club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Looks to me like we could play a lot less and get a better player.
If it's between Diop and Maguire, I'm kinda 50/50. I don't think West Ham will bend over and hand him to us. They'll likely squeeze us like Leicester. He's more athletic, young and can still improve. Maguire is maybe more useful in the dressing room, decent with the ball at his feet but pretty slow. Not sure how him and Lindelof will do together with that lack of pace.

How good is Diop playing out from the back?

Oldyella

If it's between Diop and Maguire, I'm kinda 50/50. I don't think West Ham will bend over and hand him to us. They'll likely squeeze us like Leicester. He's more athletic, young and can still improve. Maguire is maybe more useful in the dressing room, decent with the ball at his feet but pretty slow. Not sure how him and Lindelof will do together with that lack of pace.

Not great, and thats what concerns me. Diop and Maguire seem like very different players, if we are in for one or the other, it suggests Ole hasnt got his mind set on the kind of CB he wants.

0le

Its frightening that people rate Bailly. I agree, he needs to be sold as soon as possible.

dev1l

Its frightening that people rate Bailly. I agree, he needs to be sold as soon as possible.
He had a very promising first season then injuries took their toll.
I think a move is best for both player and Club.

Mark Pawelek

I expect Diop will partner either Linderof or Tuanzebe, so Diop won't be playing out much from the back. Diop can run with the ball and carry it out. As can all United's CBs. The problem they have is doing something useful with the ball when they find themselves on the edge of opps penalty area, or closed down by firm marking. Running with ball isn't CB's problem. It's losing concentration, making mistakes, not properly competing for headers at set pieces.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's no value in England, why not we just look elsewhere?

SparkedIntoLife

I prefer Diop to Maguire. Neither is worth 70m but I'd be a lot more comfortable paying that for the former than for the latter. Diop's strong defensively, quick, good in the air and is actually very underrated here in his passing ability. With him being only 22, he'll develop a lot. I think Maguire's not quite at his peak either as he's 26 and centre backs often peak late 20s. However, his lack of pace worries me.

bdspeedy

You must frighten easily. Bailly has all the tools you'd want in a defender. You can't coach speed or height. Hopefully we can coach him up on on his rash decision making. Understandably, that would be the trait you'd be most concerned about. Based on some decent performances, I'd give him a shot under Ole before paying too much for Diop or Maguire when neither would be among the first 5 CB choices for most of us. Otherwise go all out for Koulibaly of bring in someone like Tah.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not great, and thats what concerns me. Diop and Maguire seem like very different players, if we are in for one or the other, it suggests Ole hasnt got his mind set on the kind of CB he wants.
Yeah, scattergun approach. Common denominator: Prem proven.

I expect Diop will partner either Linderof or Tuanzebe, so Diop won't be playing out much from the back. Diop can run with the ball and carry it out. As can all United's CBs. The problem they have is doing something useful with the ball when they find themselves on the edge of opps penalty area, or closed down by firm marking. Running with ball isn't CB's problem. It's losing concentration, making mistakes, not properly competing for headers at set pieces.
If Diop was available for 50m I'd much rather go for him than the crazy amount it seems to get a not-great Maguire.

But of course, I'd rather we just go out there and buy a top class centre back. We can afford it.

LuckyScout78

This guy is decent on the ball. He his a tough guy a la Bailly, but a bit more composure. Aggressive and explosive. Against City, Liverpool quick attacking players. You need explosive cb to handle explosive attacking players. And of course you need a Kante or Fernandinho infront of them too. Too shield, protect and make it easier for them to defend.

No Kante and no Herrera. United are asking for troubles, even with Maguire or Diop. Or with De Ligt. They alone cant help United defensive problem last season.

dev1l

I m.not an expert on Diop but from what I saw, he seems to be better with the ball in his feet than say Smalling.
One thing I like is the way he attacks the ball when tackling.

0le

You must frighten easily. Bailly has all the tools you'd want in a defender. You can't coach speed or height. Hopefully we can coach him up on on his rash decision making. Understandably, that would be the trait you'd be most concerned about. Based on some decent performances, I'd give him a shot under Ole before paying too much for Diop or Maguire when neither would be among the first 5 CB choices for most of us. Otherwise go all out for Koulibaly of bring in someone like Tah.
You don't need speed to be a central defender. He has been rash for three seasons. It isn't going to miraculously change now.

LuckyScout78

To be honest i didn’t recognized this guy last season. But when guys start a thread about this guy and i saw him on sky. I took a closer look on him. I do like him. Example if De Ligt adding with this guy explosiveness and speed. Then
De Ligt would turn to be a beast of a CB.

I like Diop more than Skriniar and Milenkovic. Diop is more of my cup of a tea. I want a CB closest to Lucio and Stam as possible. CB that bring you fear factor. But still has everything or closest to top level of CB in football history.

Lucio. World cup and champion league winner. That man had everything as a CB. Like Stam and Desailly. Beast and legends of CB. And thats what im looking after or closest as possible. I want top warriors.

ZLATAN9

I like Diop but at this stage I'm not picky!Please sign someone , anyone Donald Trump would do at this stage!

Rossa

This guy is decent on the ball. He his a tough guy a la Bailly, but a bit more composure. Aggressive and explosive. Against City, Liverpool quick attacking players. You need explosive cb to handle explosive attacking players. And of course you need a Kante or Fernandinho infront of them too. Too shield, protect and make it easier for them to defend.

No Kante and no Herrera. United are asking for troubles, even with Maguire or Diop. Or with De Ligt. They alone cant help United defensive problem last season.
Add a South African gangsta accent, and that sounds like Chappie talking football.

Bondi77

Probably nothing in it but The Sun mentioned him again with our club.

How about we offer Lindelof or Smalling or even both and cash for this bloke. He is a young player with presence and along with Maguire we would be aerially the best in England and we would be a threat offensively as well.

Never going to happen though as Ole will stick with Lindelof regardless of how shaky he looks and the dodgy passes he regularly gives to whoever is playing at RB

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
5 live were linking him with Chelsea, 50m.

Did well last season but pretty sure he's been on the bench at West Ham for ages now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s a proper defender. Not one of the CB/#10s that are the rage, but he’s physically dominant and can stop a forward. Wouldn’t necessarily be my first choice, but I’d not be unhappy if he came in.

Kajus

Probably nothing in it but The Sun mentioned him again with our club.

How about we offer Lindelof or Smalling or even both and cash for this bloke. He is a young player with presence and along with Maguire we would be aerially the best in England and we would be a threat offensively as well.

Never going to happen though as Ole will stick with Lindelof regardless of how shaky he looks and the dodgy passes he regularly gives to whoever is playing at RB
Based on?