It feels good to be gutted again

jem

I know positive threads following a loss can be annoying, but when Nketiah scored that 3rd goal, I reacted in a way that I hadn't in a long time: I was gutted; I was mad; I yelled an audible obscenity. It hurt, but when I compare it to the numb indifference that crept in last season after getting swatted aside by the likes of LFC and City, it's definitely a positive thing. ETH didn't have his best game today, but unlike previous managers who were either too stubborn (LVG and Mourinho), too inept (Ole), or too hamstrung by lame-duck status (Rangnick), I'm confident Ten Hag will look at this and make the necessary changes. We are not ready to challenge for the title, but we are definitely in the mix for top 4, and I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the beginning of the year.

Robertd0803

Yeah I get you. Its been a very long time since results like the Palace game and today have caused this level of sheer pissed offness (its a real word) as opposed to being apatheic about results like the last few years.

BlueHaze

I didn't think I'd bother caring much about this sport anymore heh, but when Rashie scored that first goal for the first time in years I agressively cheered the goal heh, and then when Lisandro scored I also got very loud heh.

I seriously hope they go on a winning bounce now.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I couldn't agree more. When we lost games under Ole it felt like we were utterly outclassed and so, presumably as some kind of defense mechanism, I felt very little as having to face that we were going nowhere was too painful. We've just had two kicks in the teeth and reality is biting but it feels good to know we are on a definite upward trajectory and that we have a manager who has improved the players as individuals and as a team.

As you rightly suggest I'd have crawled over broken glass for us to be in this position at the beginning of the season and certainly after the first two games when it looked like the club may have been broken beyond repair.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah it's weird. I wouldn't say I feel gutted, a bit annoyed at 2 last minute goals in 2 games costing us very good results, but ultimately this season I was always more concerned with performances and in the league these 2 results really aren't that big of a deal as IMO we were never in the title race (as results like these are bound to happen, especially when you are at the point of the process that we are in), but also because we are very comfortable in the top 4 that it's just not a huge deal if we drop points like this. We were on a great run, had a very tough week and got 4 points from the 3 games which was what I expected before any of the 3 games happened.

If we were actually in the title race, maybe if this was next year then it'd be different. But for me, the cups are a bigger deal whereas the league it's more just focus on the performance and look at mitigating factors when things don't go our way, and see clearly what the route is forward. We'll get our target without much hassle in the league, so the cups are going to be far more intense IMO.

Wheato

We are on an upward curve, these are the sorts of games where Ten Hag learns about his team and what he needs to change and who he needs to bring in. And based on his first 6 months, I have full confidence that next season we will be going to the Emirates a different team, and we'll wipe the floor with them. When Rashford scored that filthy goal you saw the faces around the stadium drop. No-one has gone to the their ground this season and taken it to them like that. We'll be back with better players next time.

Zetrio2002

Could a loss be a win?
It's bad. A loss does not necessarily turn into a win next season. You can look at how many times Ole lost and still did not regain a victory against the same team the following season.

AshRK

Dropping 3 points in the final minutes hurts. I feel this was a missed opportunity and would have done a great for the team's confidence.

BlueHaze

Dropping 3 points in the final minutes hurts. I feel this was a missed opportunity and would have done a great for the team's confidence.
The dropped points against Palace was by far worse. Losing against Arsenal at their ground this year is no shame. But to lose against that dodgy toothless shite Palace in the final minute of the game... That pissed me off quite a bit tbh.

AshRK

The dropped points against Palace was by far worse. Losing against Arsenal at their ground this year is no shame. But to lose against that dodgy toothless shite Palace in the final minute of the game... That pissed me off quite a bit tbh.
I agree. Palace game hurt and actually that killed the momentum. I feel 3 points there would have made a difference for today's game.

jem

Masochism is getting out of hand
Feeling something, anything at all, is better than feeling nothing, which is how I felt seeing the likes of Lingard, Pogba and Ronaldo being captained by Maguire and coached by Ole and Rolf en route to massacres at the hands of City and Liverpool.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Feeling something, anything at all, is better than feeling nothing, which is how I felt seeing the likes of Lingard, Pogba and Ronaldo being captained by Maguire and coached by Ole and Rolf en route to massacres at the hands of City and Liverpool.
I'd rather be numb than hurt honestly. But then again I like Linkin Park.
But yes I get what you mean.

afatzp

Do share the same feeling. I find the passion watching Man Utd again this season as I know we will give it a fight as a team , both technically and mentally ready to compete.

We did beat big teams occasionally before ETH , but those were all underdog type that we parked the bus , sneaked a goal with glimpse of individual talent , then willpower it till the end.