It is tiring pretending that there is not a right way to 'support' a club - there absolutely is

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd pick him ahead of Pogba on attitude alone. I love his effort and passion even if he is closer to Darren fletcher than he is to Roy Keane
I don't think he's as good as Fletcher either tbf. Fletcher was becoming world class in his role before his illness.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Why make these threads, it never goes anywhere good. The sycophants will agree, and normal people wont :D .

Why anyone cares about how someone else supports the club, Ill never know. You just do you, and thats all you can do. Youre not going to change anyones mind by saying "they should be better fans", or "they should have higher standards". It just doesnt work that way. All threads like this do is cause the same arguments that youre speaking out against in the first place. If you dont like these arguments and the fans that contribute to them, I fail to see the logic in inviting them in for a square go in another thread. Just seems silly to me, but I'll go out on a limb and say you have some great reason Im just too stupid to understand. I guess, Im ok with that.

Smores

These threads aren't even amusing anymore in truth, it's all just a bit boring. It's always just people who can't tolerate a difference in opinion but they wrap it up probably even to themselves into something more.

People can support however they want to support and they'll get whatever they need out of this place as they like. This isn't Old trafford or match day and the players don't read it, there's probably very little correlation between how fans support on match day or down the pub either.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't think he's as good as Fletcher either tbf. Fletcher was becoming world class in his role before his illness.
and how good was Fletcher after one or two seasons? I think, given the chance, he can do very much the same sort of job albeit more defensively minded. whether he will continue to improve, whether that happens at Old Trafford no one can tell

TsuWave

Nonsense thread appealing at low vibration “i’m a good fan” sentiment and support policing

b82REZ

Why make these threads, it never goes anywhere good. The sycophants will agree, and normal people wont :D .

Why anyone cares about how someone else supports the club, Ill never know. You just do you, and thats all you can do. Youre not going to change anyones mind by saying "they should be better fans", or "they should have higher standards". It just doesnt work that way. All threads like this do is cause the same arguments that youre speaking out against in the first place. If you dont like these arguments and the fans that contribute to them, I fail to see the logic in inviting them in for a square go in another thread. Just seems silly to me, but I'll go out on a limb and say you have some great reason Im just too stupid to understand. I guess, Im ok with that.
The hypocrisy with this one makes it even funnier as it appears the irony is lost on the OP. He regularly called for other managers to be sacked.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The whole concept of supporting and what is the right way of supporting the football club on social media/forum is just plain weird.

Or to be correct that you are actively supporting it by writing positive posts.

Raredaredevil

Seen many of such threads, yawn. Not that I don't disagree with you, OP but the irony of your post is you're having a go at those negative yet you're doing the same. What's the point of a forum if we must share the same opinion. Anyway, I do agree with you that lots of Man Utd fans are extremely spoilt and self-entitled as seen with the Jadon Sancho transfer saga.

Withnail

Why do we have to give the local lads more leeway? That makes no sense. I judge every player equally when it comes to representing my club. It’s weird how left wing redcafe gets so nationalist when talking about the United squad. People who criticise the players or manager simply want the club to be better. What you’re asking for here is blind faith, sometimes people just aren’t good enough for the size & expectations of the club. Players like Dan James for example clearly are not good enough & it’s extremely unlikely he ever will be. If we took your approach the likes of Cleverley & Welbeck would still be starting for us. This “support the lads” attitude just looks like a lack of ambition to me. The players & the manager are expendable replaceable employees, my support is for the club.
But you're a fan. You're not running the club.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
and how good was Fletcher after one or two seasons? I think, given the chance, he can do very much the same sort of job albeit more defensively minded. whether he will continue to improve, whether that happens at Old Trafford no one can tell
He was shocking until he hit about 22 when he started to become a consistently excellent big game player, and then eventually he started to dominate more consistently across every type of game by about 2008/09 so I guess he would have been maybe a year older than McTominay is now? I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm just saying I don't see it happening.

They're different players, Fletcher was better IMO but that doesn't mean McT isn't a good player to have in the squad.

Counterfactual

Ahh, c'mon. It's not as black and white as you paint it, which I'm sure you know. Individual supporters rarely voice 100% positive comments, or indeed 100% negative comments. Sometimes we feel better about different players and the club overall, sometimes we feel worse.

The truly crazy part is thinking that typing our thoughts, showering our praise or venting our frustrations on a digit forum will have any impact whatsoever. This post is definitely worth less than tomorrow's proverbial chip paper, and I'm pretty sure the thread is too!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nobody replies to me when I post positive comments :(

The whole concept of supporting and what is the right way of supporting the football club on social media/forum is just plain weird.

Or to be correct that you are actively supporting it by writing positive posts.
This too tbh. Once you learn to enjoy the chaos of the matchday thread, it all starts to become a bit more enjoyable. And really, what am I actually doing except wasting time (nothing).

Withnail

Nobody replies to me when I post positive comments :(

This too tbh. Once you learn to enjoy the chaos of the matchday thread, it all starts to become a bit more enjoyable. And really, what am I actually doing except wasting time (nothing).
Well.... The match day thread can be enjoyable as long as we don't lose the game

Hughie77

Biggest critics are the fans of perspective clubs. Your team is for most your team. I've always followed UTD from a kid, never waverd . But you have in this world now UTD my first club another team is my 2nd etc. I know loads like it. I think some of them post on here.

So the negativity and player bashing is from those kinds in my opinion. If you are a RED you want to win every game no matter who you play. I cant wait to go back to OT, and really you can have a decent chat about UTD, especially on a European night, where I'm from I cant get it, it's only on here in the main. I didn't come on here for at least 4 months. Because of the negative on here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Everyone is complaining. We are even complaining about peoole complaining.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If OP has been overly critical during previous periods, as has been said, then this is certainly an ill-judged thread to say the least

simplyared

Can't agree with the OP on this!
The Caf forum is a place to voice your opinions. There is nothing wrong with being disappointed with team performances or performances concerning individual players for that matter. Yesterday, for example, we fielded a "weakened" team against "weaker" opposition. In spite of the win many posters were disappointed with the quality of football, entertainment value, and performances of some of our fringe players etc. Myself being one ot them! After the game I commented on the player performance thread and singled out 2 players.
Van de Beek and Greenwood!
VDB I was disappointed in and not only that questioned the quality of the player. If another poster disagrees, thinks I'm talking shite then maybe a discussion arises from that and we, with respect, fight each others corner. Nothing wrong with that!
Regarding Greenwood, as many others have pointed out, there has been a drop in form. Well worth discussing in my mind and nothing wrong with that either!
Insults we can do without but imagine what a boring place the Caf would be if the so called "negative" posts ceased to exist.
It's all about balance!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Criticism is fine, and always has been, if it is constructive, but we don't tend to get a lot of that on here these days.

Too many people on here seem to have their entire mental wellbeing resting on the outcome of our matches, and it leads to meltdowns when most of the time they aren't necessary.
....as long you criticize someone who is not "loved" by many. Shit how much you want on Jose or Lvg but don't say a word against Ole. Invent silly names for Lukaku, Pogba or Shaw but don't touch McTominay, Bruno or Rashford. Etc...

Abuse is a no go. No matter what. But criticsm is a different thing. Criticsm and praise is normal thing in everything, especially in sports

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we could just lose the name-calling, I'd be fine with that.

Eplel

Gatekeeping "supporting the club" is just as toxic as the supporters you blame being too toxic.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Some valid points but there comes a point where someone is just blatantly not good enough, local lad/academy graduate aside. Lingard is the perfect cars in point, making do with mediocrity because 'local lad though' is bloody stupid, can see any reason for moaning about last night though, we played a second string side, got to the next round and rested players for more important games

siw2007

I don’t think there is anything wrong with being critical about players performances, they probably get stick from their team mates and coaches when they have a poor game, so not that different from us on here in that regard.
However I think sometimes people are a little too critical. Some opinions are a little bizarre at times, some players get too much stick when they’ve largely been good this season but my biggest gripe is the language aimed at players is OTT at times, if you wouldn’t say it to the players face then I don’t think you should be saying it on an Internet forum. Though I guess that is the internet for you.

I do agree with you regards to giving the younger lads who have come through our system a bit more leeway.Our club is built from Busby’s legacy, we try and enact his vision on the football pitch and showing faith in talented young players who we have developed is one of them.

R'hllor

Ah the sweet double standards, remember similar threads in days under that classless cnut. What a bunch of hipocrits

wolvored

For me to 'support' a team without positivity and negativity is just mindless. We all have a right to vent our feelings if we think something is wrong. By putting it out here we are going to get people who agree and some who dont. If we were all the same ilk and just spouted positivity we would all be happy with Moyes here and Fellaini Cleverley Welbeck etc just going through the motions siting mid table every year, while we are trophyless after 7/8 years. In fact there is no fan who hasnt moaned about a manager/player, position, lack of big trophies since Fergie. Me, I have said I would love Ole to prove me wrong and win the league with fast attacking football pinning teams back. Will that happen? Who knows? I feel I have a right to praise and criticise on a forum. Thats what a forum is for.

El Zoido

The problem is that a majority of fans now don’t know what it’s like to actually properly support a football team. By that I mean, going to the games every week, hanging around fans and being part of the local community, supporting through thick and thin. When you actually follow a team the response after a loss is so different, when you talk to fellow fans after a game over a beer, even if your team lost it doesn’t feel like the end of the world. Now everything is online it’s so impersonal, so nasty. I’m convinced the internet is literally ruining the world. Not even joking.

Siorac

If OP has been overly critical during previous periods, as has been said, then this is certainly an ill-judged thread to say the least
He started a thread asking when Mourinho's job would come under threat... in November 2016.

wolvored

The problem is that a majority of fans now don’t know what it’s like to actually properly support a football team. By that I mean, going to the games every week, hanging around fans and being part of the local community, supporting through thick and thin. When you actually follow a team the response after a loss is so different, when you talk to fellow fans after a game over a beer, even if your team lost it doesn’t feel like the end of the world. Now everything is online it’s so impersonal, so nasty. I’m convinced the internet is literally ruining the world. Not even joking.
When I used to go we still dissected the match in the pub after. A good win it was mainly praise, but we would still say the odd negative thing, 'I cant believe Fergie didnt sub ...for ... as he was playing crap'. A loss would be more critical, but this was in an era when we were top dogs so nothing too heavy. As we got further and further away from being perennial winners it was bound to be more critical.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
How can a ground be high? If it's a ground it should be floor level. And how does it have morals. I don't get it.

Morpheus 7

@Wumminator stop being such a top red, you absolute hypocrite. This thread is hardly a positive one here. You clearly aren't getting that much joy if you are creating this thread either. It's a football forum and maybe most are over critical at times, doesn't mean you're guidelines are the way to be a true fan. This is a place to discuss and dissect the game, there are loads of opinions I disagree on. Even yours, that doesn't mean I'm right. I'm just calling someone out that talk's down to the entire forum.

By the sounds of it, you would like RAWK, closed threads when they don't like the narrative. Posters being banned when they question the team. Fans are entitled to question things at the club. How far they can go is a separate matter. If you don't like performance threads after games, I suggest you don't read them.
I personally can't stand your mindset of supporting a team. The fan that refuses to criticize when things are a mess. That Moyes could have turned it around, LVG's football wasn't that bad, Jose would take us back to the top eventually. The Glazers aren't to blame and support the club and keep buying merchandise. It's sheep mentality, outdated and not progressive. I love United but there are still huge concerns here. You can love your club but not be happy of some aspects of it. A world of Ty's from AFTV is my nightmare. It kills any conversation and discussion of football, in my opinion.

You top reds are the worst, you really are. This is how you support the team, who the feck do you think you are?

Eplel

no it is not. Clearly.
Care to explain why?

In my opinion:
1) contributes to division between the fans.
2) discourages discussion and debate, by dismissing opposing views out of hand.
3) instead encourages a dogmatic approach.
4) failure to hold certain figures accountable leads helps to make the same mistakes again and again.

You have your opinion and I respect that. However your approach to discussion is absolutely toxic, and the fact that you can't see it makes it even worse for the forum.

studs

It wouldn't be a forum if there was no C&C, it brings debate. I have been reading redcafe for years and the boards have broadened, not all the users are man united fans. Also that top red shit brings divide, we are all fans of Manchester united one and all.