It is tiring pretending that there is not a right way to 'support' a club - there absolutely is

Judas

Open to offers
It is a bit odd that this place has become so negative over the last 3 or so years, I genuinely can't imagine it even being united and happy if we won the title, people would still have axes to grind, gloating and I told you so parades. That's sad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No. It is not a “both sides” issue. Implying that Ferguson needs nappies soon or calling players “rashbeck” or telling a manager to “feck off” isn’t a both sides thing.
They need fecking off.
Put these people on your ignore list, it's the same handful of posters in every single threads. And it has nothing to do with a proper way to support a club but about not being an ass.

b82REZ

there is literally multiple people here saying they can’t stand how the forum is and are posting less because of it.
But more disagreeing with you. You're also contributing to what many are complaining about - a divided fan base.

Not blaming anyone but it just isn't enjoyable how every single thread becomes an argument.
You literally started a thread you cause a divide the fan base

Some of you clearly get no joy from a game unless we win every match. Some of you want new players, new managers, new formations every week instead of taking pride in the journey.
It's fairly obvious you're trolling at this point. Your hypocrisy has been called out multiple times, yet you justify that with intangible BS like

If someone doesn’t uphold the values of your club, it is slightly different.
You know what you're doing and I think you'd hoped for more support. Surprised sammsky hasn't popped in to add some more sanctimonious rubbish about how you're all much better supporters than the rest of us. In fact the posters who have supported you all tend to lie on the side of self righteous, holier than thou types that, like you, often try and silence debate.

EireRed_GS

Theres way too many reactionary fans that lose their minds after a bad performance / result, which leads to completely mental statements I dont think they have thought through at all.

Its bad on this forum at times, but this over reactionary behaviour is more rife on the fan channels, prob for the best at the minute they are not interviewing fans outside the grounds. Although there are still certain individuals spouting complete nonsense online, as many will have seen that gibberish the other night from one in particular about Ole.

Keep it positive lads. We have the chance of moving top tomorrow night. Still plenty of games to go and we are steadily improving.

Lets not forget where the whole "Sack Fergie, Sell Giggs" joke came from. Someone was deadly serious at the start :lol: :houllier:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
But more disagreeing with you. You're also contributing to what many are complaining about - a divided fan base.

You literally started a thread you cause a divide the fan base

It's fairly obvious you're trolling at this point. Your hypocrisy has been called out multiple times, yet you justify that with intangible BS like

You know what you're doing and I think you'd hoped for more support. Surprised sammsky hasn't popped in to add some more sanctimonious rubbish about how you're all much better supporters than the rest of us. In fact the posters who have supported you all tend to lie on the side of self righteous, holier than thou types that, like you, often try and silence debate.
The “fanbase” isn’t divided. They’re on my side.

Siorac

Someone called Ole a "faggot" the other week. Whenever we go through a bad run of form that sort of personal abuse has become commonplace (I think a mod deleted it posthaste to be fair). He gets an unusual level of vitriol directed at him that I reckon stems from 'banter' social media pages and finds its way to here. The 'caf is supposed to be better than the swirling toxicity of social media football accounts, otherwise what's the point? I made a thread after the RBL game asking who might replace Ole if he's sacked the next day (Moyes and Jimmy Lumsden were an option, so it was slightly tongue in cheek). I'm not convinced he's going to get us back to where we want to be, but there is surely a difference between that, and the relentless nastiness and negativity that is becoming increasingly normalised.
Sure but that's not what this thread's about, or at least the OP isn't about that, regardless of the copious amounts of subsequent goalpost moving that Twiggy indulged in.

'Don't abuse the players or the manager' is a rule I'm absolutely fine with. But this 'you must be so miserable' and 'why don't you just get behind the team like a proper supporter' holier-than-thou attitude is far more nauseating than the perceived relentless negativity. Which I don't really see, anyway. These threads tend to be full of posters agreeing with each other, smugness thinly veiled with a faux veneer of sadness over the supposedly terrible state of the fanbase. The ratio of people who actually post terrible abusive stuff and those who moan about them is very lopsided; it's a bit like crying about political correctness because a Twitter account with 8 followers said something about killing all white men.

JPRouve

Scout
Why? What have I possibly done that is banworthy?
Creating threads just to provoke others and create a divide. You constantly contribute to the toxicity in the United forum.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
At the match I think there is definitely a right way to support the team. On an Internet forum ? Surely these places are for airing opinion and venting frustrations. I’m not a massive fan of people who have agendas against individual players and are seemingly only intent on seeing their own opinion. But it doesn’t make me right and them wrong.

JPRouve

Scout
At the match I think there is definitely a right way to support the team. On an Internet forum ? Surely these places are for airing opinion and venting frustrations. I’m not a massive fan of people who have agendas against individual players and are seemingly only intent on seeing their own opinion. But it doesn’t make me right and them wrong.
In a stadium you are an actor, if you create a tensed atmosphere in the stadium it will get to the players. It's no different to how a manager won't act the same way when he is on the touch line and when he is on the training ground, players can be lambasted during the week but you generally can't do that just before or during a game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fans are just a representation of the club

Manchester United is the closest English version of Real Madrid. Consistently talking about how they are the biggest club in the world, how this player isnt good enough and that manager should be sacked by the end of the month. Success and maintaining that big club mentality is how people support the club, being dickheads is thought to bring the best out of the club and the supporters will not take mediocrity for too long.

On the other side United's ancient rivals like Arsenal and Liverpool are like mix and match of Barcelona and Athletico Madrid - styles of football at times were sometimes more important than success but when it clicked it clicked perfectly, clubs can win amazing number of trophies competing with number vs 'the biggest clubs in the world' but also mediocrity can be supported for too long or unnecessarily.

I'd say Again very similarly United are the dickhead, bigheads of the Bundesliga, the Bayern Munich, the ABUs, the we buy everyone from the premier league. The pure success.

Alot of the other other clubs like Liverpool are the Borussia Dortmund's - the better supporters success or not, the louder singers at their stadium whilst we spend time whispering and sulking at Anthony martial for not making a run off a pass that was never really made whilst he ends up sulking at us a back.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The “fanbase” isn’t divided. They’re on my side.
Which is the right side presumably?

Yeah, that's the problem right there. You believe your way of supporting the club is the right way, the only way, and all those in opposition to you are simply wrong. It's borderline arrogance, mate. The way a person shows their support for the club is entirely subjective to that individual, thus there is no right or wrong way.

Is that so difficult to accept?

Creating threads just to provoke others and create a divide. You constantly contribute to the toxicity in the United forum.
The divide happened long ago, to be fair, back when Jose was in charge and continued right on through to the present day. It's not going away anytime soon by the looks of things due to threads such as this one or those from the opposite side.

Idxomer

Don't forget this is the same poster who predicted and bet on Ibra's failure before he kicked a ball for the club.

JPRouve

Scout
The divide happened long ago, to be fair, back when Jose was in charge and continued right on through to the present day. It's not going away anytime soon by the looks of things due to threads such as this one or those from the opposite side.
That's not the point, he is actively contributing to it. If you put gasoline on a fire, the fact that you didn't start it isn't an excuse.

b82REZ

Which is the right side presumably?

Yeah, that's the problem right there. You believe your way of supporting the club is the right way, the only way, and all those in opposition to you are simply wrong. It's borderline arrogance, mate. The way a person shows their support for the club is entirely subjective to that individual, thus there is no right or wrong way.

Is that so difficult to accept?

This mythical divide didn't only happen when Fergie retired. As others in this thread have mentioned, the "Sack Frogie, sell Goggs" meme came from somewhere.

The difference now is we aren't winning trophies so some fans are trying to justify their perceived investment in the club. Standards have undoubtedly dropped to the point now we have a thread on the front page dismissing a loss against our local rivals as unimportant.

While it isn't exclusive to the Caf, there is a recent trend of groups trying to pigeon hole others and silence debate. The fecking Ole In/Out debate is a prime example. There is no nuance in the debate anymore, you have to attach your flag to one side of the argument and denounce the other side as lesser fans etc. That the term OleOut was created by someone who has undying support towards the manager says it all. It was done with the sole intention of creating a divide.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is just nonsensical.
You have posters literally saying they can’t stand it here because of the negativity. Some absolutely incredible posts in here from fantastic posters saying how bad it has gotten.
Yet, we have to ignore it because it’s only on us?
Why have a newbie feature then? Why have any moderation at all?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To those who think that “proper fans” isn’t a thing; again I present this tweet:

Why am I supposed to pretend that there isn’t a right way to support a football club?

Ladron de redcafe

Someone called Ole a "faggot" the other week. Whenever we go through a bad run of form that sort of personal abuse has become commonplace (I think a mod deleted it posthaste to be fair). He gets an unusual level of vitriol directed at him that I reckon stems from 'banter' social media pages and finds its way to here.

Implying that Ferguson needs nappies soon or calling players “rashbeck” or telling a manager to “feck off” isn’t a both sides thing.
They need fecking off.
Some of these are obviously really over the line, and I do wonder how someone who utters pejoratives like that about people of this stature at the club can call themselves fans. I never thought I'd see the day when Sir Alex -- of all people - is ridiculed by United fans.

Plymouth Red

You have posters literally saying they can’t stand it here because of the negativity. Some absolutely incredible posts in here from fantastic posters saying how bad it has gotten.
And this is precisely how you play your game, which is what it is to you, isn't it?
My perception is that this forum is probably just one of the places where you flex what you consider is your intellectual superiority. You enjoy showing how erudite you are, you like sparring with numerous opponents simultaneously, deflecting their astute or correct comments with a diversionary turn to go off in another direction.
You find it easy to play the innocent victim (who, moi?) and wear the cape of the people's man with total confidence, not based on hard evidence that your judgement and opinion is shared by the majority but because you just don't see there could possibly be another point of view that is more valid than yours.
Earlier in the thread, I cited another of your recent threads where you started by stating you couldn't understand why you were regularly overlooked for promotion at work. "Oh poor me, the victim again. Why am I being ignored when I have so much to offer?"
I didn't have to trawl to find evidence of your narcissism. It's really easy to find examples.
You now say that thread was started as a joke. Why? In the middle of a pandemic, when thousands are losing their jobs, who's interested in LOLing at your actual or pretended failed career aspirations?
No. That wasn't your motive, I suspect.
It was a way to start a thread with no value at all apart from ego-feeding. Sad, really. Even pathetic.
A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to retire after a 40+ year career in which I routinely appointed, nurtured and developed a great many individuals. I had to ensure their success to enable my own to continue and one of the key life lessons I impressed on them was the importance of self-awareness.
If they did not know how to assess and flex how their words and behaviours were landing on their audience (which was usually sitting around a board room table), they were unlikely to secure their and my objectives.
My perception is that you aren't bothered at all about how your words land here. If anything, you are deliberate in phrasing and deflecting to get the most heated reaction from your audience. Clearly, if that's your aim, you're scoring ten out of ten.
If, however, you truly want to change the behaviour or beliefs of others, be it here or at work, I suspect you will always be disappointed because, quite simply, you don't know how to get your point over without being irritating, untrustworthy and dislikeable.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
And this is precisely how you play your game, which is what it is to you, isn't it?
My perception is that this forum is probably just one of the places where you flex what you consider is your intellectual superiority. You enjoy showing how erudite you are, you like sparring with numerous opponents simultaneously, deflecting their astute or correct comments with a diversionary turn to go off in another direction.
You find it easy to play the innocent victim (who, moi?) and wear the cape of the people's man with total confidence, not based on hard evidence that your judgement and opinion is shared by the majority but because you just don't see there could possibly be another point of view that is more valid than yours.
Earlier in the thread, I cited another of your recent threads where you started by stating you couldn't understand why you were regularly overlooked for promotion at work. "Oh poor me, the victim again. Why am I being ignored when I have so much to offer?"
I didn't have to trawl to find evidence of your narcissism. It's really easy to find examples.
You now say that thread was started as a joke. Why? In the middle of a pandemic, when thousands are losing their jobs, who's interested in LOLing at your actual or pretended failed career aspirations?
No. That wasn't your motive, I suspect.
It was a way to start a thread with no value at all apart from ego-feeding. Sad, really. Even pathetic.
A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to retire after a 40+ year career in which I routinely appointed, nurtured and developed a great many individuals. I had to ensure their success to enable my own to continue and one of the key life lessons I impressed on them was the importance of self-awareness.
If they did not know how to assess and flex how their words and behaviours were landing on their audience (which was usually sitting around a board room table), they were unlikely to secure their and my objectives.
My perception is that you aren't bothered at all about how your words land here. If anything, you are deliberate in phrasing and deflecting to get the most heated reaction from your audience. Clearly, if that's your aim, you're scoring ten out of ten.
If, however, you truly want to change the behaviour or beliefs of others, be it here or at work, I suspect you will always be disappointed because, quite simply, you don't know how to get your point over without being irritating, untrustworthy and dislikeable.
fecking hell. :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
To those who think that “proper fans” isn’t a thing; again I present this tweet:

Why am I supposed to pretend that there isn’t a right way to support a football club?

Is that the same Sam Luckhurst who tweeted this?

Or this?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I would not take exception to anyone posting posts like that in here. Obviously. At the time I can completely understand why fans wanted his job called into question.
Just wanted to point out that you won't get far if you're using click-hunters such as Sam Luckhurst as the barometer of a true football fan.

So you're fine with fans questioning Ole's management when the team is not performing, but not so much when they are performing? That's fair enough.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just wanted to point out that you won't get far if you're using click-hunters such as Sam Luckhurst as the barometer of a true football fan.

So you're fine with fans questioning Ole's management when the team is not performing, but not so much when they are performing? That's fair enough.
Anyone can have any opinion they want.
However when
A) negativity is relentless
B) crosses over into personal attacks
C) needlessly over the top

it changes.

JPRouve

Scout
Moderation isn't meant to only accept what Wumminator wants to read. And you are perfectly happy to ignore the dozens of posters disagreeing with you in this thread, are their opinions meaningless?

PS: If you see anyone insult a player or a manager, report their posts.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Moderation isn't meant to only accept what Wumminator wants to read. And you are perfectly happy to ignore the dozens of posters disagreeing with you in this thread, are their opinions meaningless?

PS: If you see anyone insult a player or a manager, report their posts.
Is telling a manager to feck off or calling him a fraud enough to report?

We've been over this before, but your holier-than-thou is one of the most tiring things on this forum. You gave Mourinho zero time, wanted him sacked 2 months into the season and gave him ZERO chance to see how he would be as United manager.
For 2 years you made this place toxic as feck, and we are still reaping the benefits due to how you have completely different standards for time and patience depending on the player or manager.

You have contributed to the divide as much as anyone, more than most in fact. You never want to find middle ground, ever.

RK

I miss the fans being in the stadium, especially away games.
They're not perfect and sometimes show their frustration, but when it gets tough they still support the team and it reminds me that our core fanbase isn't the bunch of dickheads that places like here and twitter can make us out to be.

I think people need to be aware of the choices they're making and learn how to find happiness. The supporters that actually enjoy supporting are the ones who win every week, regardless of the result.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I miss the fans being in the stadium, especially away games.
They're not perfect and sometimes show their frustration, but when it gets tough they still support the team and it reminds me that our core fanbase isn't the bunch of dickheads that places like here and twitter can make us out to be.

I think people need to be aware of the choices they're making and learn how to find happiness. The supporters that actually enjoy supporting are the ones who win every week, regardless of the result.
Perfectly summed up.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
Whilst I’m not suggesting it’s correct to come on a fan forum and post some of the toxic messages some do in the post match threads.... but for a lot of people football is a form of escapism, the passion distracts people from the struggles they may face in every day life, and as such sometimes coming onto an Internet forum to vent their anger about a players performance is better then venting their frustration to family members and letting it affect what is actually important.

again this doesn’t answer why people get so emotional about results and also when we have positive results still vent frustration, but It may be part of the reason why you see it more.

Reactions: Invictus

JPRouve

Scout
Whilst I’m not suggesting it’s correct to come on a fan forum and post some of the toxic messages some do in the post match threads.... but for a lot of people football is a form of escapism, the passion distracts people from the struggles they may face in every day life, and as such sometimes coming onto an Internet forum to vent their anger about a players performance is better then venting their frustration to family members and letting it affect what is actually important.

again this doesn’t answer why people get so emotional about results and also when we have positive results still vent frustration, but It may be part of the reason why you see it more.
I agree with you on the first paragraph. As for the last one, the answer is that in all sports winning isn't everything or to be precise the evaluation doesn't stop after the game even if you are victorious. You are always compared to what is deemed the best, so if United wins a game today while almost everyone will be satisfied depending on the level of performance some may point to the fact that things can/should be better, particularly when you consider the fact that we are in a context where in league and cup formats you need to maintain or reach a certain standard in order to be successful.

You could compare it to exams, while it's good to have a B-, it's better to have an A+. And people want that for the team they support, they want to see United have A+ games, A+ seasons.

Last edited: