Italian Serie A - 2019-20

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Think he gave a foul on the defender but it was a ridiculous decision. Wait for the play to end before blowing ffs :houllier:

Meret makes it 2-0 :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
Horror show from the Napoli keeper. Right through his hands.
Lukaku moves back above Ronaldo.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Napoli have no confidence whatsoever right now. Such a disappointing season for them

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Another great win for Inter this. Doing it with likes of Godin, Barella and Alexis on the bench who were some of their major summer signings.

The mentality Conte quickly installs in teams is very impressive. They will push Juve until late into the season I reckon.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Napoli have no confidence whatsoever right now. Such a disappointing season for them
Very similar to Spurs imo. Their squad has just run out of steam and they really need to regenerate it over next two windows.

KC91

How about Atalanta as well, some great goals from Gomez and Illicic.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Next Round has some cracking matches

Lazio v Napoli and Inter v Atalanta on Saturday
Roma v Juve on Sunday

as for Jojo he's ageing like fine wine

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Am I being harsh, foolish, naive, and demonstrating that I haven't got a clue about football here, when I say the defending here is woeful

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Of course it's shite in thsose situations, but you see that in every league from time to time. Watch United and you'll see even worse at times.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Cagliari were losing 2-0 in Turin and were kind of in the process of giving up

As to Napoli yeah, bad individual defending by Hysaj on Lukaku. Still a very difficult situation borne of a CB slipping in midfield, but Hysaj does everything wrong and makes it easy for Lukaku

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Am I being harsh, foolish, naive, and demonstrating that I haven't got a clue about football here, when I say the defending here is woeful

I don't get your point, you can see situations like that in every league.. This season I only follow Serie A, M. United, Paris SG and Real Madrid but I chose to watch some PL league matches the last 2 weeks and this was one of the first goal I saw:

Even worse defending than the 2nd video you posted.

Or just to take another league: Ligue 1. Paris SG last game of the year.. This is the way Amiens were defending in a normal situation:

Both wingers, midfield trio, LB.... To me that's awful from almost everyone there.. Di Maria completely free to receive the ball and play 5 v 4

You can post stuff like this every week from every league..

GifLord

I don't get your point, you can see situations like that in every league.. This season I only follow Serie A, M. United, Paris SG and Real Madrid but I chose to watch some PL league matches the last 2 weeks and this was one of the first goal I saw:

Even worse defending than the 2nd video you posted.

Or just to take another league: Ligue 1. Paris SG last game of the year.. This is the way Amiens were defending in a normal situation:

Both wingers, midfield trio, LB.... To me that's awful from almost everyone there.. Di Maria completely free to receive the ball and play 5 v 4

You can post stuff like this every week from every league..
Chelsea have been absolutely shocking at defending this year. Even though they're 4th on the table they're closer to the last team than first. In 1 months time they've lost to WHU ,Bournemouth and Southampton at Home and Everton away. All due to poor defending.
Amiens is one of the worst teams in Ligue 1 and youre comparing their defending against the likes of PSG who are so far ahead of any team in ligue 1

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea, who are shocking at defending, are tied for the 8th best defence in the league in GA, and are 4th in xGA

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
watching a re-run of Napoli vs Inter... I know the home side aren't flying this season but the stadium is almost totally empty!

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Of course it's shite in thsose situations, but you see that in every league from time to time. Watch United and you'll see even worse at times.
Was it shite though? The slip was unprecedented, and left the defence exposed. Even so, at one point it looks like the defence have it covered with the run of Martinez being tracked, and Allan closing down the distance. Perhaps the defender with the closest distance could have been considerably tighter to Lukaku, and perhaps that may have put him off. They didn't get much help from Fabian Ruiz's attempt at tracking back ... in just the 13th minute too!! reminds me of clips I saw from William Carvalho. On one hand, the lack of pressure on Lukaku gives him all the time in the world to decide what he's going to do. Conversely, the feint of Lukaku just happened to be when Hysaj had just completed the signal to track Martinez. That unfortunate timing was enough for Lukaku's feint to leave him completely out of balance. Given it was Lukaku that made the hand gesture for Martinez to make the diversion run, I put that down to Lukaku orchestrating the whole situation. Whilst it was a great individual goal, and a great example of the Lukaku/Martinez being synchronised, the lack of pressure from Ruiz, and Hysaj not getting to Lukaku quicker was enough to put Lukaku in the driving seat.

Cagliari were losing 2-0 in Turin and were kind of in the process of giving up
The most noticeable thing for me here is the fear factor of Ronaldo. The full back immediately backs away from him, as if he's fully expecting Ronaldo to outpace him. You can tell Ronaldo has had a good game up to that point, with the way that defender was bloody petrified. That lack of pressure essentially positions Ronaldo to make his mind up, releasing Higuain. In a way, that moment reminded me of Henry, when players that tried to get too tight to him would get embarrassed, they would take the opposite approach and back off him, and a pass from Henry would eliminate them from the game as he constantly had an awareness of his surroundings when the ball was at his feet. Even once Higuain has the ball, it still shouldn't be ending up in a goal, and the goalkeeper has got to be doing better.

I don't get your point
Basically, I'm asking if it's a harsh assessment from myself to describe the defending as woeful in those isolated clips.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Basically, I'm asking if it's a harsh assessment from myself to describe the defending as woeful in those isolated clips.
Napoli's isn't woeful but it's not good either, individually(hysaj on lukaku, and the backtracking by the midfielders). Cagliari's is pretty bad collectively

GifLord

Ibra starting

edit:

0-1 Rafael Leao

0-2 Zlatan

Last edited:

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
I feel sorry for Napoli, they've played quite well today, same against Inter but conceded 4 hilarious goals..

Fabian Ruiz is trash as DM/DLP, hope the last 2 signings Demme (DM) and Lobotka (DLP) can help Napoli, Italian football need them in Europe..

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel sorry for Napoli, they've played quite well today, same against Inter but conceded 4 hilarious goals..

Fabian Ruiz is trash as DM/DLP, hope the last 2 signings Demme (DM) and Lobotka (DLP) can help Napoli, Italian football need them in Europe..
Ruiz gets a lot of hype (especially on here) but I've never been a fan. Even when he was at Betis. Ceballos was a bigger talent than him, and had better performances at Betis, but he's not great either.

I'm a big fan of Lobotka, and think Demme is alright, but I don't think either of them will take Napoli up a level, or shore them up defensively. Lobotka's biggest weakness is that he gets lost in the defensive phase. He's very easily bypassed. And Demme works hard but, like Fred for us, it's a lot of pressing but not much aside from that.

If they get Amrabat that will be a big step up.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Lazio, Inter and Juve all on course for 90+ points. Crazy season. All 3 teams have a knack for winning even when they don't deserve to.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is huge entertainment. It's more of a track meet than a football game

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Atalanta should have had a penalty and Lautaro been sent off. Crazy how VAR didn't spot that

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Inter looked knackered, their lack of depth is showing.

Terrible time to lose points with Roma-Juve tomorrow. Could have put a lot of pressure on Juve

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Atalanta should have had a penalty and Lautaro been sent off. Crazy how VAR didn't spot that
In fairness, if you didn't specifically look at lautaro's arm it's very hard to spot

Still a bad look for VAR

Atalanta's fitness levels right now are insane. Completely run over inter in the second half. They're also stupidly good technically, honestly i don't know how they're not challenging for the title right now, might well be the best team in the league :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Shame for Slovenia they produced two world class players in one position, can't even move them about like you could with two left backs.
Best Slovenian player on the pitch tonight plays for the other team :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wonder if Robin Gosens will make a late run for Germany euros squad.

Can play midfield or left back, never been capped for Germany at any level.

Was playing for Heracles when Atalanta picked him up in 2017 so would be a great story.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
In fairness, if you didn't specifically look at lautaro's arm it's very hard to spot

Still a bad look for VAR

Atalanta's fitness levels right now are insane. Completely run over inter in the second half. They're also stupidly good technically, honestly i don't know how they're not challenging for the title right now, might well be the best team in the league :lol:
They're the best team in the league on a technical level and maybe even physically. They don't have the grit of Juve, Lazio or Inter though.

Those three teams regularly win even when they have played a 50-50 match, Atalanta regularly lose points even when they're the better team.