Italian Serie A - 2019-20

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Cuadrado and Sandro are good but am I the only one noticing how once they reach the penalty area all they do is pass backward like they're told to not take chance.
So annoying.
Because they are

The problem lies in the fact that they to fire Khedira and Matuidi in 2019's summer now because they didn't/coudn't they made the mistake of leaving Emre Can and having fight having him leave.
He was one of not so bad together with Bentancur and Pjanic... such a shame.
Nah, Matuidi and Khedira are still great. They're asked to do too much

Agree the freezing out of Can was weird though

Derby was great. Worst thing for milan is they didn't lose because inter played better, they lost because inter *are* better, individually and as a team

Poor Pioli still can't beat good teams :lol:

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Its possible for sure because they have the experience when it comes to winning titles but man are they very lucky to be this close to the top. They should behind inter and Lazio by some points.
Probably, but as you know that counts for nothing.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Probably, but as you know that counts for nothing.
Of course. I doubt they are complaining but they really need to wake up. As I said yesterday Win or Lose the league Juve should sack Sarri. He is a very very overrated coach IMO.

People saying 'they are still adjusting to the new play style" Its been over 6 months and they hav only impressed in a handful of games if that this season.

Will be a good title race until the end I reckon.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You cant mention Inter Milan's current transfer philosophy without mentioning the integral part Guiseppe Marotta has and will continue to play.
His time at Juventus is a perfect base to research, where he also operated closely with Conte in 011.

His work in bringing in young players and ,fundamentally, established players ,who were usually deemed surplus to requirement at their clubs (ring any bells ? ), was the fundamental step in building a foundation which has and continues to bear fruit for Juve today.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And Juve dropping points like they didn't for at least 7-8 years.
Not really. Aside from the last two seasons they have more or less the same points they had at this stage every other year
Its possible for sure because they have the experience when it comes to winning titles but man are they very lucky to be this close to the top. They should behind inter and Lazio by some points.
Winning ugly thanks to an abyssal talent gap is not luck, it's normal. That's what you pay the likes of Cristiano €60m a year for

SportingCP96

Supports
Not really. Aside from the last two seasons they have more or less the same points they had at this stage every other year

Winning ugly thanks to an abyssal talent gap is not luck, it's normal. That's what you pay the likes of Cristiano €60m a year for
Its not winning ugly...its being completely outplayed in multiple games where individual quality or luck (koulibaly OG comes to mind) bails them out.

Also "talent gap" is a terrible excuse as their squad is better than 95% of the league. As far as I know there squad is miles and miles better than Veronas.

Enigma_87

You know who
And Juve dropping points like they didn't for at least 7-8 years.
Well not really. Juve have dropped just 15 points from 23 games so far this season, if they keep it up they are on course to win 89 by the end of the season, which is on average what they've scored in the last 8 years bar 13/14.

Enigma_87

You know who
So full of hate, you're enable to understand that the pass had to be made 3-4 sec before the offside position. Even the commentator said it. But, eh, spitting on lukaku, so much fun. How are rashy and Tony ?
Seriously? Look at my other posts in regards to him. In the right setup I've always said he can be useful. But his awareness of the offside position is not one of his best traits.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Well not really. Juve have dropped just 15 points from 23 games so far this season, if they keep it up they are on course to win 89 by the end of the season, which is on average what they've scored in the last 8 years bar 13/14.
They drew against Sassuolo and Lecce one of the worst teams in the league, lost to Napoli who are an absolute shambles this season and Verona after leading 1-0 thanks to defensive howlers

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Its not winning ugly...its being completely outplayed in multiple games where individual quality or luck (koulibaly OG comes to mind) bails them out.
That is precisely what having a massive talent advantage does

Also "talent gap" is a terrible excuse as their squad is better than 95% of the league.
And that is precisely why they're first in the table, beat inter in milan, and will most likely win the league anyways. Because inter and lazio need to be at 100% to win against even the likes of Lecce

Juventus can beat 3/4 of the league in 2nd gear

As far as I know there squad is miles and miles better than Veronas.
Yeah, so they lost one game, so what. It happens. They're still first, despite, as you keep saying, playing worse than inter

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They drew against Sassuolo and Lecce one of the worst teams in the league, lost to Napoli who are an absolute shambles this season and Verona after leading 1-0 thanks to defensive howlers
Three seasons ago they lost to Genoa, Milan and Inter(De Boer's inter)

Four seasons ago they lost to udinese and sassuolo and drew against Chievo and Frosinone at home

Two seasons ago they lost to Sampdoria and drew against Crotone and Spal in the title run in

These results happen. Every season(except two)

SportingCP96

Supports
Three seasons ago they lost to Genoa, Milan and Inter(De Boer's inter)

Four seasons ago they lost to udinese and sassuolo and drew against Chievo and Frosinone at home

Two seasons ago they lost to Sampdoria and drew against Crotone and Spal in the title run in

These results happen. Every season(except two)
Mate the difference is those seasons they were miles better then they have been this season.

Yes they are getting the results but how can you sit here and say they are performing well? They would get blown out there socks by a decent CL opponent right now. They have been that bad this year.

Nhuyb

Seriously? Look at my other posts in regards to him. In the right setup I've always said he can be useful. But his awareness of the offside position is not one of his best traits.
I agree with you about his awareness. But not in this case. Look again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mate the difference is those seasons they were miles better then they have been this season.
True, but we were discussing results, not performances? Afterall, you don't get awarded poins for performances...?

Yes they are getting the results but how can you sit here and say they are performing well?
I'm not. I'm saying they can keep performing worse than inter and lazio and they'll still likely win the league

They would get blown out there socks by a decent CL opponent right now. They have been that bad this year.
They faced Atletico Madrid and were just fine. How they'll perform in CL remains to be seen

Rajma

Everyone is talking Inter but I'm surprised to see Lazio going under the radar so much, they're definitely in the mix.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everyone is talking Inter but I'm surprised to see Lazio going under the radar so much, they're definitely in the mix.
If they hadn't drawn 0-0 at home to Verona they'd be top now. Verona cause a fair bit of chaos in last few days.

Lazio run in is o.k but still got likes of Atalanta, Juve and Napoli away. Home to Inter next week aswell.

Juve and Inter got better run ins although both got tricky final games, could well go to the last day for first time in a decade I think?

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
If they hadn't drawn 0-0 at home to Verona they'd be top now. Verona cause a fair bit of chaos in last few days.

Lazio run in is o.k but still got likes of Atalanta, Juve and Napoli away. Home to Inter next week aswell.

Juve and Inter got better run ins although both got tricky final games, could well go to the last day for first time in a decade I think?
Inter has tougher away games than Lazio though. Like Lazio, Inter also have Juventus and Atalanta away but on top of that away to Lazio and Roma too.

SportingCP96

Supports
True, but we were discussing results, not performances? Afterall, you don't get awarded poins for performances...?

I'm not. I'm saying they can keep performing worse than inter and lazio and they'll still likely win the league

They faced Atletico Madrid and were just fine. How they'll perform in CL remains to be seen
Atlético is not decent CL opposition to be fair. They have been very poor this season themselves. There own fans would tell you that.

As for Juve I would not get comfortable with just scraping by because Inter are right on there heels and if they get a few points of head and Juve have to start playing catch-up, that might be all she wrote.

SportingCP96

Supports
They deserve all the praise they can get but I don’t see them hanging in there in the long run (I could be wrong). If by April they are still in the mix then they are very well in the race.

Inter are the prime threat to Juve I think.

KC91

They deserve all the praise they can get but I don’t see them hanging in there in the long run (I could be wrong). If by April they are still in the mix then they are very well in the race.

Inter are the prime threat to Juve I think.
I could be wrong, but whenever I watch Lazio against lower half opposition, I feel like those teams are more willing to have a go at a team like Lazio versus bunkering down like they do vs a Juve or Inter. Which could really end up benefiting them down the stretch.

I still agree Inter is the main threat, but Lazio should be in the mix right till the end, they just don’t have the squad depth to go on and win it IMO

Paul_Scholes18

I could be wrong, but whenever I watch Lazio against lower half opposition, I feel like those teams are more willing to have a go at a team like Lazio versus bunkering down like they do vs a Juve or Inter. Which could really end up benefiting them down the stretch.

I still agree Inter is the main threat, but Lazio should be in the mix right till the end, they just don’t have the squad depth to go on and win it IMO
No Europe can help Lazio I think. Although I think Inter and Juventus got the squads to cope with both. Think Inter will rotate a lot in EL too.
Resting Ronaldo for CL might cost them, but might be the right call if Juventus really want to go for in CL.

I feel like Lazio is the best side against the weaker teams so far. Juventus the best side for the big games.
Inter hardest to beat, but they draw too much.

Suedesi

That's what a real rebuild is, Inter are back with the best in Italy within 12 months.

None of this fecking nonsense of needing 3-4 transfer windows. Showing how it's really done
But what about the cultural reboot, and did they use a software program to evaluate 834 right backs or did they have a DOF and coach that know how to pick players

Suedesi

Of course. I doubt they are complaining but they really need to wake up. As I said yesterday Win or Lose the league Juve should sack Sarri. He is a very very overrated coach IMO.

People saying 'they are still adjusting to the new play style" Its been over 6 months and they hav only impressed in a handful of games if that this season.

Will be a good title race until the end I reckon.
It's been Ronaldo saving them over and over again. Juve has no midfield creativity and look leaky at the back.

Suedesi

I think the most exciting team in Italy is Atalanta. They had a rough start at the beginning and getting used to playing League + CL, but they rebounded from the group stage horror start and are firing on all cylinders in the league. Great team to watch, kinda remind me of Klopp's early Dortmund side how they swarm the ball and have 11 players who can interchange positions and where everyone is comfortable with the ball. Ilicic has been the standout so far, but I also like Zapata, Gomez and Djimsiti as well.

I think they will progress in the CL vs Valencia - what a story for Gasperini that would be.

Paul_Scholes18

Too early still, but I think it's going to be Inter vs Juve until the end with Atalanta, Lazio and Roma competing for top 4.
That was my thinking before the season. Although Lazio is doing very well. Not watching them much so I am a poor judge if it might hold or not.
They totally failed in the EL so didn't think they would fight for the title even after a good start.

Suedesi

That was my thinking before the season. Although Lazio is doing very well. Not watching them much so I am a poor judge if it might hold or not.
They totally failed in the EL so didn't think they would fight for the title even after a good start.
Lazio has a good keeper, good CB in Acerbi (they play 3 ATB) decent midfield (Luis Alberto, SMS and Lucas Leiva has played well) and Immobile has been deadly upfront. Don't think they have the class of Inter or Juve, but neither do they have European distractions so they're ok playing a game a week.

They might have not taken the EL seriously, which is justified given they have a good shot at the title and CL football next year.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Should the winner be seen as the favorite and Juve with a draw? Or is Juventus still the favorite even having to play them both?
Imo Juventus are still the favorites. Mainly for the reason that they still have to play Inter, Lazio, Roma, and Atalanta at home. Inter play all of those teams away from home (obviously Ibter replaces by Juve in this case).

Juventus have a fee 'tricky' away games against either desperate or solid teams (Genoa, Sassuolo, Bologna). If they win those I think title is definitely theirs.

Paul_Scholes18

Imo Juventus are still the favorites. Mainly for the reason that they still have to play Inter, Lazio, Roma, and Atalanta at home. Inter play all of those teams away from home (obviously Ibter replaces by Juve in this case).

Juventus have a fee 'tricky' away games against either desperate or solid teams (Genoa, Sassuolo, Bologna). If they win those I think title is definitely theirs.
Hard game away plus easy game home could sometimes be better than hard game home and easy game away.
We have seen Juventus struggling away from home against the smaller sides at times.

Although I also fancy Juventus to step up for the big games home or away.

SportingCP96

Supports

Depth is the main reason I feel they will fall off. Gotta agree though they have been fantastic and I am sure the fans are more then satisfied with this season as most likely next season they will return to there normal position.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They play Lazio away on sunday. After the derby.

The italian cup is really not a priority at this moment