Italian Serie A - 2019-20

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Does explain why De Ligt made all those handballs. Refs there give 3 of em every match.

The first handball tonight was sort of dumb though. De Roon has his arms on his back, but then stretches them out again anyway.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Crazy to see how much these calls bother people once they start going for Juve. With normal refereeing they would have won the league in March this year, been getting fecked over all year and opposition fans still complain. The rules are definitely a joke though, it's been like this all year.

Decent second half from Juve after an awful first half, they've looked a lot better since the break. Malinovski is my favourite Atalanta player, Ukraine are my pick for being the surprise of the tournament at the Euros next year

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbh this whole cycle gets tiring. It seems that on the continent this happens every year, the odds are just stacked against the challenger to the throne. I suspected Atalanta would outplay Juve tonight, but that they would have to overcome Juve first, and then the officials in order to get a win. It’s like when the giant’s powers run out, there’s always a questionable penalty as a lifeline. Same happens with Real Madrid every year. They have been given penalties throughout this entire title race is Spain. Just felt inevitable even before the game that tonight if a questionable offside doesn’t rule out an Atalanta goal, they will concede a questionable pen.

wr8_utd

:'(
Forwards should start moving to Serie A. You're guaranteed 10 goals a season just from these ridiculous penalties.

RooneyLegend

Crazy to see how much these calls bother people once they start going for Juve. With normal refereeing they would have won the league in March this year.

The rules are definitely a joke though, it's been like this all year
Are you by claiming refs have been against 12 pen Juve this season?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Crazy to see how much these calls bother people once they start going for Juve. With normal refereeing they would have won the league in March this year, been getting fecked over all year and opposition fans still complain.

The rules are definitely a joke though, it's been like this all year
Neutrals will always root for the underdog.There's a similar reaction if any of the big teams across Europe get a cheap decision in their favour, Juve aren't special in that regard. Especially as Atalanta were winning and it would have made the last few games more interesting.

RooneyLegend

Tbh this whole cycle gets tiring. It seems that on the continent this happens every year, the odds are just stacked against the challenger to the throne. I suspected Atalanta would outplay Juve tonight, but that they would have to overcome Juve first, and then the officials in order to get a win. It’s like when the giant’s powers run out, there’s always a questionable penalty as a lifeline. Same happens with Real Madrid every year. They have been given penalties throughout this entire title race is Spain. Just felt inevitable even before the game that tonight if a questionable offside doesn’t rule out an Atalanta goal, they will concede a questionable pen.
Same rubbish happens in the CL. If one of these giants get close to being knocked out something strange happens. It really sucks the life out of the sport.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So cruel on Atalanta. They have been wonderful tonight.

It was a good game. The defender was pretty dumb on the first penalty. He had his hands behind his back and then jumped, turned his body and pulled his hands out. He's asking the ref what he's supposed to do when the answer is obvious. Keep your hands behind your back like he had them. The second was harsh though. But that's the new handball rule. No grey area. If your hands/arms are out and making you bigger, it's a handball. He knew nothing about it, but that's the new rule.

And is it just me, or did Ronaldo get a perm? :lol: :lol: :lol:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I wonder if the Juve players will want to get rid of Sarri at the end of the season. Sure he might win them the league again next year but they've got to be more ambitious than that. Another undeserved point tonight, Atalanta must be fuming at the ref.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I'm worried for the game with the idiots in IFAB in charge. Look at what they created.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I like how the new handball rule takes the grey area out of the call and makes it black or white, but I think the resulting penalty needs to change. On that second penalty in particular, for me, that shouldn't be a penalty. Make it an indirect free kick inside the 18 for handballs like that. The punishment should fit the crime. And that handball shouldn't equal a goal...

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Are you by claiming refs have been against 12 pen Juve this season?
Not that they're against them. That they fecked them over, no doubt. So many ridiculous calls, should have actually had a lot more than 12 penalties given what the rules are and they've had 10 penalties called against them. Lazio were put in a title race with them due to bad call after bad call.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
With the old rules this would not have been handball but the new rules take common sense out of the equation and are closer to zero tolerance. I disliked the previous ambiguity but I also don't like calls like this where the handball isn't really a "foul". Ball is on it's way out of the box and it's not stopping the end result, i.e. the pass from Higuain reaching his team mate. It's basically a free penalty.

Overall I think the current rules are better as they don't leave much doubt (athough they still exist like Bailly's penalty) but these penalties do suck.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Once you are in the penalty box, you should just aim for defenders arm, seems like the easiest route to the goal in Serie A. I remember when Ronaldinho did it for Milan at Old Trafford ten years ago, but ref didn't buy it. But of course corrupted Serie A officials invented the rule to help out Juve even more.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
With the old rules this would not have been handball but the new rules take common sense out of the equation and are closer to zero tolerance. I disliked the previous ambiguity but I also don't like calls like this where the handball isn't really a "foul". Ball is on it's way out of the box and it's not stopping the end result, i.e. the pass from Higuain reaching his team mate. It's basically a free penalty.

Overall I think the current rules are better as they don't leave much doubt (athough they still exist like Bailly's penalty) but these penalties do suck.
There was never doubt even with the old rules, doubt was only with terrible referees and big clubs like Juventus who are helped with subjective refs who like to interpret the rules differently.

If the handball was obvious advantage - penalty. It's pretty simple, and it's always simple outside the box too, only incompetent refs made it complicated inside the penalty box.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Once you are in the penalty box, you should just aim for defenders arm, seems like the easiest route to the goal in Serie A. I remember when Ronaldinho did it for Milan at Old Trafford ten years ago, but ref didn't buy it. But of course corrupted Serie A officials invented the rule to help out Juve even more.
Not only are they corrupt, they're increcibly stupid then given Juve have had 8 handball penalties called against them and 5 called for them this season. Must have backfired.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I thought it was handball tbh, silly from Muriel. Didn't see the first one. Ronaldo again shooting low to his left for a crucial penalty, you'd think the keepers would start diving a little earlier by now.

Shame for Atalanta but they can be proud of what they're doing. Juve will drop more points in the run in but they're still too far clear, Lazio and Inter will certainly be kicking themselves with all the points they've dropped in the last 10 games.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They're actually doing that. Ilicic and Dybala both tried in the 1st half

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I like how the new handball rule takes the grey area out of the call and makes it black or white, but I think the resulting penalty needs to change. On that second penalty in particular, for me, that shouldn't be a penalty. Make it an indirect free kick inside the 18 for handballs like that. The punishment should fit the crime. And that handball shouldn't equal a goal...
I think that's a good point actually. Considering what gets given for many penalties now a free and unrestricted shot from 12 yards is a very generous reward. I know people will say it's the same as giving a free kick on halfway line for handball but it's a little difficult to score a goal from round there.

Was watching a few 90s games during the lockdown and you forget obstruction in the box used to be given as an indirect FK in the box so that's one example.

Are some of these handballs anymore deliberate than say a backpass that dosen't result in a penalty.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think that's a good point actually. Considering what gets given for many penalties now a free and unrestricted shot from 12 yards is a very generous reward. I know people will say it's the same as giving a free kick on halfway line for handball but it's a little difficult to score a goal from round there.

Was watching a few 90s games during the lockdown and you forget obstruction in the box used to be given as an indirect FK in the box so that's one example.

Are some of these handballs anymore deliberate than say a backpass that dosen't result in a penalty.
99% of handballs aren't deliberate. It's very rare when a guy purposed sticks out a hand to touch the ball. So the laws should take that word right out. Now I know their definition of deliberate is a lot different than the dictionaries, but that's where a lot of confusion comes in with some people. Like I said, I like the idea behind the new handball law. It takes the grey area out of the equation and for some, grey area can quickly turn into favourtism and controversy. So I'd like to see the law stay the same, but as noted, change what happens for the free kick. And I've been playing since the 70's. I more than remember getting indirect free kicks inside the 18 for Impeding a player. Weird how they don't call that anymore because impeding (obstruction) is still an indirect free kick I think. Now the only time an indirect free kick is given inside the 18 is if a keeper happens to handle a pass back...

SirAnderson

I was just thinking that right now.
I'd do the same, you almost guaranteed a pen if it touches the arm. That first pen, guys arm was more on his body than away from it, and it was still given.
Sad when rules break the game like this.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
This handball rule is a fecking joke

Players exploiting it already
1st half both Dybala and Ilicic tried to win a penalty by hitting the opponents arm

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Both were clear penalties, don't know why so many complaints. And the people claiming refs have helped juve this season haven't been watching much serie a.

Having said that juve need to improve a lot. Bernardeschi was such a fantastic player in Fiorentina, don't know what happened to him at juve he seems so hesitant to take any risk. Almost the whole season juve have been playing really bad, but I will still give sarri another year, there have been patches in some games where they play really good. Hopefully next year this patches will become the norm, wonder how Melo will fit with sarri. A midfield three of rabiot, if he keeps improving, bentancur and Melo could be very good.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sarri is done if they go out to Lyon surely? Surprised if Juve is content with meek last 16 CL exits now after all the finals in recent times.

Would really like to see Pochettino at Juventus.

Suedesi

Ronaldo is a bad fit for Juventus. Right now they're imbalanced and not creating much from midfield.

I would move on Cristiano if I was Agnelli (but that's not going to happen) and build the team around Dybala.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wonder if the Juve players will want to get rid of Sarri at the end of the season. Sure he might win them the league again next year but they've got to be more ambitious than that. Another undeserved point tonight, Atalanta must be fuming at the ref.
I think Ronaldo will at least. Now, it's all about winning the European cup for them after all these league titles in a row, and there probably aren't many who believe Sarri will be the one to deliver it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I've just seen the Muriel handball. I think it's a penalty, definitely not the worst one I've seen. Pretty clear cut that one IMO.

The players should know now to simply not take any chances. He's got his arm out away from his body. Asking for trouble.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Forwards should start moving to Serie A. You're guaranteed 10 goals a season just from these ridiculous penalties.
Either Serie A or La Liga. Since the start of last season

Penalties in Serie A: 279
Penalties in La Liga: 260
Penalties in the Premier League: 181