Italian Serie A - 2020-2021

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
AC Milan are dead on favorites now. It is there title to lose now.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Yeah, I just don't know what Juventus plan has been in the last few years.

To me it started when they sold Cancelo to get Danilo. I think they needed the money but this is a clear sign they weren't planning to go further ahead.
Why making the huge effort to get Ronaldo if you can't get a team to improve on what you have?
Juventus has no midfielder that is excellent defensively, this combined with the insistence in Bonucci (that makes tons of mistakes) - partly due to Chielinni's injury - makes the defence very vulnerable as Danilo defending is also shaky.
Cuadrado is also shaky defensively and meh all around.

Juve's best midfielder imho is Arthur and he barely plays. He is the only midfielder that actually is able to not lose the ball often, he the only midfielder with some dynamic in his play.
Rabiot has been decent but he is very irregular, from great breakthroughs to headless decisions. Pjanic was also too slow in body and decisions and they didn't lose much by letting him go.
Ramsey is more objective but he is too lightweight and has no fight in him.
This is Juventus main problem: the midfield is not solid enough and it helps little the attack too.
I think they need a real good defending midfielder, that doesn't need to do much else, then use Arthur and an actual box to box that is good approaching the area.

Finally with Morata they got a proper striker, they didn't have one since they let Mandzukic leave without an actual replacement.
Not only Morata is in the area (no one else is but Ronaldo) he also makes the team more composed by letting Ronaldo contribute to build up without needing to ditch the ball asap to get to the area and no one would be there.
Then... Douglas Costa and Dybala are very irregular and they are often injured as well and Chiesa is more objective but lacks their ability on the ball.
I think these (as well as Ronaldo and Morata) would benefit from actually having a midfield supporting the attack not having to do everything by themselves and most of the times surrounded by enemies.

Red Star One

I don't think it's so much overreaching to say that quite a few members of the Caf would've won the league with Juve given the squad and means. Pirlo is not working out well, is he?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
I don't think it's so much overreaching to say that quite a few members of the Caf would've won the league with Juve given the squad and means. Pirlo is not working out well, is he?
I mean, Pirlo had as much managerial experience when he got the job as most users here :lol:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Is it time for Juve to admit project Pirlo isnt working, and get rid?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm not writing off Juventus because I think the other teams can still bottle it.

I don't know if there is a long term plan for Pirlo at Juventus but it looks like there are a lot of teething problems.

OleBoiii

What the hell happened with Juve? I thought they had a monopoly on the title in the same manner as Bayern and PSG!

If I have to pick a winner between the Milan's, then I'm going with AC.

bakalhau

The more games they play the more amazed I am Ronaldo is nearly on 20 goals this season. Imagine if he played in any decent attacking team.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Juventus have always been a pain to watch, don't kid yourself. Even their fans hated the football in the Allegri years
True, but Juventus started playing only for the result and not to care about how good or bad we play after we hired Capello. Lippi era was good balance in attack and defence.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never rated Rabiot. Always seems a liability

Red Star One

I mean, Pirlo had as much managerial experience when he got the job as most users here :lol:
This is true and that's why I legitimately think some would do a better job tactics and selection wise. No excuses for being so poor in league - even if the level of Serie A has increased over the last years.
Never rated Rabiot. Always seems a liability
Few of my closest friends are Italian and most of them support Juve, when Rabiot was coming there I was convincing them he'll come good if he can sort this head out - no need to add I already apologised for my misjudgement.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
AC Milan are dead on favorites now. It is there title to lose now.
Inter have been considered as the favorites since they crashed out of European competitions already in the groupstage.

Why would Inter beating Juve turn Milan into dead on favorites?

It's Inter's title to lose. Especially since we have at least 3-4 starters out in every game.

Hakan and Theo tested positive for COVID.
They're unavailable for the game tomorrow, along with Rebic(COVID), Leao(suspended), Bennacer(injured), Gabbia(injured), Krunic(COVID) and maybe Saelemaekers.

Reactions: Invictus

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
It was desperately necessary for Inter to win, not just for their sake, but for the competitiveness of the league. Serie A is like the Bundesliga right now, a historically unrivalled period of domination for one team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mandzukic going to AC Milan by looks of it, think Giorno said on here they were desperate for alternative targetman striker in games Ibra misses so smart pick up for 6 months.

Nice more for Tomori aswell.

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Juventus have always been a pain to watch, don't kid yourself. Even their fans hated the football in the Allegri years
Juventus team was first built in 2011/2012 (bonucci Pirlo vidal vucinic), and well refilled in early allegri era (about 2015-16-17... dybala, mandzukic, khedira, higuain, pjanic).
After that they did some wrong signins (bernardeschi, d.Costa, Danilo, rabiot, ramsey) who didn’t worked as expected.

a 36 years old ronaldo may be not enough

el3mel

The league weirdly looks much better with Juve not first or second.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I still find it odd that Juve decided to get rid of Sarri after 1 season and having guided them to a league title.
Its not odd, its just incompetence and arrogance that they thought any half decent manager could take Juve to the title.

Laughably so they shot themselves in the foot (good and proper) by going to the extreme in appointing a complete novice, in Pirlo, for the top role.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I still find it odd that Juve decided to get rid of Sarri after 1 season and having guided them to a league title.
Players essentially decided for them. Couldn't overhaul the whole team(and wouldn't even if they could)

Idxomer

Why?
First game after a long stop, no responsibility on both goals and he made a couple of great interventions.
If he gotta retire what Bonucci should do?
He looked shambles against Lukaku and very slow in general, one intervention was making up for his own mistake.

Pep's Suit

Let's be honest here, Juve no longer has the best squad in the league. They need two centre-midfielders and another winger, I think.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's be honest here, Juve no longer has the best squad in the league. They need two centre-midfielders and another winger, I think.
Of fecking course they have the best squad in the league, it's not even close. If they didn't they'd be midtable by now

marktan

Of fecking course they have the best squad in the league, it's not even close. If they didn't they'd be midtable by now
They have the best depth due but it seems like they have about 50 free midfielders that are basically the same - the likes of Bernadeschi, Kuvlescki, Cheisla, and then a load of midfielders that are good but not excellent.

With Ronaldo looking poor and needing a break, what they really need is some pace on the wings, which is why I'm surprised they loaned Douglas Costa to Bayern even with his injuries. With a rookie manager and a bunch of bargain XI transfers they just look average.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Look at the quality of players across their competition FFS. People in here moaning about the lack of quality in midfield, meanwhile inter are starting the corpse of Arturo Vidal. And that's the second best roster in the league

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Look at the quality of players across their competition FFS. People in here moaning about the lack of quality in midfield, meanwhile inter are starting the corpse of Arturo Vidal. And that's the second best roster in the league
Let's be honest their central midfield is complete shit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's be honest their central midfield is complete shit.
And inter's is better? Milan's? Other than Lazio, there's no one else with better central midfielders, lazio play two attacking mids there

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The corpse of Vidal is better than any Juve midfielder. There is levels to this game.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Juventus need creative midfielders. McKennie is good but he's b2b, Arthur, Ramsey and Bentancur are bang average, Rabiot is a mediocre player.

At least 4 Serie A teams have more quality in the midfield imho:
Us: Bennacer/Calhanoglu + Tonali, Lazio: Luis Alberto/Milinkovic-Savic, Inter: Barella/Brozovic + Sensi/Eriksen and Napoli: Zielinski/Fabian Ruiz..

They should try to sign one of Locatelli, Castrovilli or De Paul next summer (just to name 3 Serie A players who would improve their midfield)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The corpse of Vidal is better than any Juve midfielder. There is levels to this game.
He's really really not. Yesterday was the first time he even looked like a professional footballer this season

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
They have the best depth due but it seems like they have about 50 free midfielders that are basically the same - the likes of Bernadeschi, Kuvlescki, Cheisla, and then a load of midfielders that are good but not excellent.

With Ronaldo looking poor and needing a break, what they really need is some pace on the wings, which is why I'm surprised they loaned Douglas Costa to Bayern even with his injuries. With a rookie manager and a bunch of bargain XI transfers they just look average.
Ronaldo has 15 goals in 14 games in the league, he is basically one of the few reasons why Juventus is not midtable atm and he has saved them in a few games.
Of course he doesn't run like when he was younger but he is good with the touches and holding the ball when starting counter attacks (and he doesn't lose balls as much as the others as he plays simple often).
He is also great at crosses but it's tragic as no one else in the attack has his ability to head like the does, he basically can't do everything, more than he already does.

He (and the other attacking players) has no support from the midfield and the full backs rarely make a cross.
So what happens is that 2 guys have to do everything in a counter attack vs the entire defensive line, if they wait the crawling midfield will turn everything into a slog and build up slowly and with no creativity.
That's why most Juventus goals are either isolated moments from the likes of Ronaldo, Morata and Dybala and never a well built attack or counter attack involving several players.

This has been clear for years and yet they don't tackle the problems directly.