Italian Serie A - 2020-2021

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Juventus are already done, Milan match sealed their fate, teams around them are in too good of a form.
If Napoli lose how are Juve done?

Edit : nevermind I've not been keeping up it seems

PoTMS

Didn’t realise it was head to head, I actually quite like that. Other than the Milan Juve thing are there any other relevant ones?
If Milan lose today but beat Atalanta next week, and Juventus win against Bologna on the final day of the season, all three teams would finish on 78 points and the final positions would go down to a mini league of results between the three respective teams. Atalanta would finish top, Juventus second and Milan third which means Juventus would sneak through into the CL in 4th spot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Napoli win in Florence, pushing Juve back into 5th. A Milan win today qualifies them for CL courtesy of a better head to head vs Juventus - Tomori's 83rd minute goal last week proving important.

Come on Napoli and Milan. Finish the job. Don't do a Frankfurt/West Ham/Chelsea.
Sky have Milan in 5th? My understanding was they should be ahead of Juve based on the head to head?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Milan lose today but beat Atalanta next week, and Juventus win against Bologna on the final day of the season, all three teams would finish on 78 points and the final positions would go down to a mini league of results between the three respective teams. Atalanta would finish top, Juventus second and Milan third which means Juventus would sneak through into the CL in 4th spot.
Nope. Since milan would beat atalanta, they'd have 6 points in the mini-league, atalanta would have 7. Juventus with 4 would be out

Also, oh no, benevento noooooo :(

PoTMS

Nope. Since milan would beat atalanta, they'd have 6 points in the mini-league, atalanta would have 7. Juventus with 4 would be out

Also, oh no, benevento noooooo :(
My bad, I forgot to calculate Milan getting the 3 points in the mini league. Even better! Hopefully Juventus can be joined in the illustrious Europa League with the scouse cnuts.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Torino safe if they can grind out the most boring 0-0 in history in Rome in midweek. This is Serie A after all.

Benevento would've had same situation if they'd held onto the 1-0, still had to go to Turin next week and win.

This does make Cagliari safe though so should make Meelan task easier later to wrap up CL with 3 points.

bucky

Locatelli gives Sassuolo the lead. Excellent long ball from him leading up to the penalty.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Milan been completely nulified so far, don't look like scoring at all with no space to run into and Nainggolan running the show in midfield, good save just now from Diego Godin header from Donnnarumma.

KC91

Cagliari certainly not playing like a team that has confirmed their safety. Milan really needs to step it up, as going to Atalanta needing a win would be massive pressure.

Ladron de redcafe

If Milan drop points here, that's a lifeline for Juventus who would have two paths to Chamoions League qualification (Napoli and Milan, the second of whom have to face Atalanta in its last match).

This is a crucial last 20 minutes

izec

Milan against Atalanta would be tricky for them. I wouldn't back them. At home against Cagliari is a must win, only have themselves to blame if they fail to reach the CL

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Milan with so many wrong decisions in final third tonight. Looks like they used up all their goals for the season away to Torino.

Now probably going to have to win away to Atalanta...bad bad bad. :(

KC91

Credit to Cagliari, they easily could have rolled over after that result this morning.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That's a terrible result for Milan. They looked so toothless without Ibrahimovic attracting multiple defenders towards him. I also wondered why they started Rebic up front on his own when he's better with another forward to work off of. Pioli should have been braver and gone with up front with Rebic on the left.

Unfortunately for Milan, they're letting Juventus back in with this. Cagliari, nonetheless, did play well, and they deserve a point out of this match.

charlenefan

Atalanta will need the win themselves on the final day themselves won't they?

KC91

Gasperini already mentioned a week or two ago that getting 2nd place would be massive for a club like Atalanta, so I can see them really going for it next week. Should be a great match.

Ladron de redcafe

Gasperini already mentioned a week or two ago that getting 2nd place would be massive for a club like Atalanta, so I can see them really going for it next week. Should be a great match.
That makes a Milan win much likely, or at the very least makes Milan's task harder. And they have nobody to blame but themsleves. Had they won tonight, they would have sealed a top 4 spot by virtue of their head to head against Juventus.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

He's done very well at Sassuolo given their relatively limited resources. I struggle to think how Sassuolo will be able to adequately replace him. On the other hand, de Zerbi is a solid pickup for Shakhtar and will allow them to continue with their brand of attacking football.

charlenefan

What could have been, a EL season with Liverpool, Juventus and Dortmund :(

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
It’s gonna be an awful week for Milan supporters.

4th place race very similar to 2019 when Atalanta Inter and Milan were running for it (we qualified in the last 10 minutes when nainggolan scored and handanovic saved twice. What a night that!!! Heart attack!)

Milan, Napoli and Juve now.

I’m already taking some popcorn and a good beer:D

MadMike

Can't believe AC bottled it so epically. All they had to do was win today and then play a safe draw against Atalanta.

izec

I think Milan will have it a bit easier against a bigger team that attacks more Plus Atalanta will play Juve midweek and could have leave some energy there. Milan still have a decent chance to win against Atalanta.

Ladron de redcafe

Can't believe AC bottled it so epically. All they had to do was win today and then play a safe draw against Atalanta.
They didn't even need a draw against Atalanta. Had they won today, they could have afforded a loss against Atalanta because they have a superior head to head to Juventus.

El Presidente

Yeah, they’ve bottled it alright. I can’t see any scenario in which Milan win in Bergamo. Atalanta are a far better team and finishing second will be pretty huge for them.

MadMike

They didn't even need a draw against Atalanta. Had they won today, they could have afforded a loss against Atalanta because they have a superior head to head to Juventus.
Yeah good point.

I think Milan will have it a bit easier against a bigger team that attacks more Plus Atalanta will play Juve midweek and could have leave some energy there. Milan still have a decent chance to win against Atalanta.
It's still in their hands technically, but I don't see Atalanta over-extending to attack AC.

They have already qualified, right? And AC will need the win. They will have also play mid-week so will be more tired. They are more likely to play a frustrating game and counter attack.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Atalanta will need the win themselves on the final day themselves won't they?
Already in CL but have cup final on Wednesday v Juventus so it might not be their strongest 11. They still have multiple players that will cause Milan problems and their recent record v them is very good indeed, won this game 5-0 last season and 0-3 at San Siro in January and they'll want to secure second.

Bertie Wooster

I know some other European leagues have it as well, but I'm not a fan of head to head (in just two matches) deciding places ahead of goal difference (over the whole season).

It's particularly poor when both teams picked up the same amount of points in those two games, and they still go off goal difference but just for those two matches (one won 2-0, the other 2-1, so finish ahead by 1 goal). Doesn't 'away goals' also come into it at times? So if both games were drawn, the team that drew 1-1 away would finish ahead if the other meeting was 0-0?

I much prefer goal difference over a full season. That gives a truer reflection of the whole 9 months, and gives teams an extra chance not to be further punished by a poor decision when the two teams played. Whereas narrowing it down to just those two matches means something like a controversial goal, or a wrongly disallowed goal, sending off, etc, has even more of a chance of ending up deciding league positions.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If Napoli lose how are Juve done?

Edit : nevermind I've not been keeping up it seems
Even so, i spoke to soon, Milan bottling it really shakes things up, never expected this result considering their form.

Juventus now has a real shot, but then, so does Milan, if either Napoli or Juventus messes up.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Even so, i spoke to soon, Milan bottling it really shakes things up, never expected this result considering their form.

Juventus now has a real shot, but then, so does Milan, if either Napoli or Juventus messes up.
I think it’s only 50/50. Atalanta may not really care their result vs Milan in final game of season (if they loss they will still finished in top 4?), especially when they have another cup final just 4 days before the match. While Napoli looks like they will easily win their final game too. So even Juventus win they could be out.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it’s only 50/50. Atalanta may not really care their result vs Milan in final game of season, and Napoli looks like they will easily win their final game. So even Juventus win they could be out.
They do care, just like Cagliari cared despite having nothing to play for, teams are professional.

wr8_utd

:'(
There really is no guarantee Juve win at Bologna either. They're just really poor. However, it definitely does feel like Milan have absolutely bottled it.

PS: After those comments Agnelli made about Atalanta earlier, would be pretty great if they "gave" Milan the win though.