Italian Serie A - 2020-2021

AFC NimbleThumb

No one said Lukaku wasn’t good enough. General consensus is that he’s a good player who didn’t fit into our system, making this a mutually beneficial deal. He’s better than Martial but he’d do no better than Cavani here.

Also, the Scudetto point is ridiculous. We’d smash Serie A and win it at a canter.
Read the many Lakaku threads, many people have said he “wasn’t/isn’t good enough”.

We agree he’s a better Number 9 than Martial but he’s certainly better than the current carnation of Cavani so we’ll have to disagree there.

Our current system is barely getting the best out of our current set of number 9s so do they not fit ‘the system’?

The Scudetto point is factual. He’s actively competing for it & we won’t be competing for the EPL this season, it’s not a controversial statement but one of fact; no insult intended.
Top reply, as expected.
From the guy who somehow thinks McFred were being blamed for Lakaku being sold.

Top reply indeed.

GlasgowCeltic

No one said Lukaku wasn’t good enough. General consensus is that he’s a good player who didn’t fit into our system, making this a mutually beneficial deal. He’s better than Martial but he’d do no better than Cavani here.

Also, the Scudetto point is ridiculous. We’d smash Serie A and win it at a canter.
In fairness its hardly Wengerball under Ole, I'm sure he would've coped

RashyForPM

Read the many Lakaku threads, many people have said he “wasn’t/isn’t good enough”.

We agree he’s a better Number 9 than Martial but he’s certainly better than the current carnation of Cavani so we’ll have to disagree there.

Our current system is barely getting the best out of our current set of number 9s so do they not fit ‘the system’?

The Scudetto point is factual. He’s actively competing for it & we won’t be competing for the EPL this season, it’s not a controversial statement but one of fact; no insult intended.
Since he left, all I’m seeing is ‘mutually beneficial deal’. Fair enough, his player performance thread in 18-19 did consist of people saying he wasn’t good enough. I never agreed with that. Anyway, in 18-19, Lukaku got 12 goals. Cavani is already on 7 now in February. Along with that, our system is essentially one where the striker is actually the supporter for wide players and Bruno to run in behind. Cavani is playing that role to a tee while Martial is just absolutely rubbish (not the system’s problem). Lukaku wants to be a main man, I’m sure we can agree on that.

I just don’t see a massive improvement in Lukaku at Inter. He’s still a good finisher, and his hold up play and first touch is still disastrous. There was one instance in the first half of this game alone, and I like Lukaku.

As for the Scudetto, we would be top of Serie A too. Inter aren’t even in Europe now because Gladbach and Shakhtar booted them out, Milan are totally average and this Juve side are just an utter aberration under Pirlo. The football is rubbish and they wouldn’t even make Europe in the PL without Ronaldo. 9 times Champions on the spin remember. On the flip side, if you put Inter in the PL, City would just toy with them in their games, we, Chelsea and Leicester would probably dispose of them in one off games too and generally, you’d expect even this awful version of Pool to stick a few goals past them. They wouldn’t even make the CL. The quality of league matters.

RashyForPM

In fairness its hardly Wengerball under Ole, I'm sure he would've coped
After PSG, his performances under Ole were as bad as Martial’s this season. Wasn’t his worse but the home game against Chelsea sticks out. He made a lung busting run early in the game and was absolutely gassed for the rest of it. As in, blowing right out of his arse. Watch it back if you don’t believe me, because it was embarrassing in a massive game where if we won we might have made the CL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I just don’t see a massive improvement in Lukaku at Inter. He’s still a good finisher, and his hold up play and first touch is still disastrous. There was one instance in the first half of this game alone, and I like Lukaku.
His hold up play is pretty good actually

RashyForPM

His hold up play is pretty good actually
In the CL or EL where I watch most of Inter’s games, I still think ‘same old same old’. Not sure about the league because I only watch him when they play Juve or Milan.

Nedved

Since he left, all I’m seeing is ‘mutually beneficial deal’. Fair enough, his player performance thread in 18-19 did consist of people saying he wasn’t good enough. I never agreed with that. Anyway, in 18-19, Lukaku got 12 goals. Cavani is already on 7 now in February. Along with that, our system is essentially one where the striker is actually the supporter for wide players and Bruno to run in behind. Cavani is playing that role to a tee while Martial is just absolutely rubbish (not the system’s problem). Lukaku wants to be a main man, I’m sure we can agree on that.

As for the Scudetto, we would be top of Serie A too. Inter aren’t even in Europe now because Gladbach and Shakhtar booted them out, Milan are totally average and this Juve side are just an utter aberration under Pirlo. The football is rubbish and they wouldn’t even make Europe in the PL without Ronaldo. 9 times Champions on the spin remember. On the flip side, if you put Inter in the PL, City would just toy with them in their games, we, Chelsea and Leicester would probably dispose of them in one off games too and generally, you’d expect even this awful version of Pool to stick a few goals past them. They wouldn’t even make the CL. The quality of league matters.
Remind me again, where is United in the CL?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
As for the Scudetto, we would be top of Serie A too.
Yawn. The only thing you are actually winning is... nothing. An incompetent coach is recipe for disaster in Serie A, however good the squad, and United is nothing special as a squad, moreover pretty terrible as a coached unit.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
I think Inter is alot better than the failure in CL this season shows. Dominated all matches in group stage except one vs Madrid. But lacked those all important goals. Now with Hakimi gotten comfortable and Perisic back to form aswell as Eriksen i think Inter would have one of the strongest squads in a league like PL. Man City and Liverpool are the only teams in PL in my opinion that has stronger squads than Inter and Juventus.

RashyForPM

Seems like some Serie A fans have activated Bundesliga/period mood :lol:
Yawn. The only thing you are actually winning is... nothing. An incompetent coach is recipe for disaster in Serie A, however good the squad, and United is nothing special as a squad, moreover pretty terrible as a coached unit.
Except two games against Juventus. Porto hammered you upside down. If you didn’t have so much luck, the tie would genuinely be over. Also, you’d know a lot about incompetent coaches wouldn’t you (Sarri and Pirlo :lol:)

If we’re terrible as a unit, then what are Juve? Football is a team sport, and over at Juve, there is one legend and 24 plodders. The manager being one of them. Pirlo makes Ole look like a combination of Fergie, Pep and prime Mourinho, and I don’t even rate Ole.

We’d also finish higher than Inter because we are a better team, Milan because we have a much better squad, Lazio likewise, Atalanta because of their inconsistencies and high-press style, which we’d absolutely scythe through.
Remind me again, where is United in the CL?
In the EL after messing up a difficult group. Despite that, we still comfortably beat two CL semi-finalists in individual games. No excuse of course but give Inter to PSG and the rollicking would be so severe Conte’s wig would fall. Where are Inter in the EL?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Seems like some Serie A fans have activated Bundesliga/period mood :lol:

Except two games against Juventus. Porto hammered you upside down. If you didn’t have so much luck, the tie would genuinely be over. Also, you’d know a lot about incompetent coaches wouldn’t you (Sarri and Pirlo :lol:)

If we’re terrible as a unit, then what are Juve? Football is a team sport, and over at Juve, there is one legend and 24 plodders. The manager being one of them. Pirlo makes Ole look like a combination of Fergie, Pep and prime Mourinho, and I don’t even rate Ole.

We’d also finish higher than Inter because we are a better team, Milan because we have a much better squad, Lazio likewise, Atalanta because of their inconsistencies and high-press style, which we’d absolutely scythe through.

In the EL after messing up a difficult group. Despite that, we still comfortably beat two CL semi-finalists in individual games. No excuse of course but give Inter to PSG and the rollicking would be so severe Conte’s wig would fall. Where are Inter in the EL?
Mate, it is very difficult to separate facts from assumptions from your posts. The only thing really clear, is they are the by-product of a vividly fantasist footballing brain. Not that I am surprised, to be honest. Fantasy island is always alive and kicking. Keep going!

Raredaredevil

That's Inter for the Scudetto then. Was expecting AC Milan to put up a better fight but they have been embarrassing.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Top reply indeed.
Folks, the crude reality is that United is wasting or burning talents at an exceptional rate since 2013. If average or above average but nothing special players can play much more consistently under a skilled manager in a protected environment, this only shows how dysfunctional their former setting was.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Difference between Lukaku and Lingard since leaving (apart from time, obviously) is that Lukaku looks not just in-form but physically different. He's been bullying defenders with both strength and speed, which didn't happen much before. Could be a combination of weaker defenders, facing defences playing higher up the pitch (more space behind), and whatever fitness issue Inter diagnosed. Also he looks like a natural in a strike pair, rather than as a lone striker (especially not a target man).

RashyForPM

Mate, it is very difficult to separate facts from assumptions from your posts. The only thing really clear, is they are the by-product of a vividly fantasist footballing brain. Not that I am surprised, to be honest. Fantasy island is always alive and kicking. Keep going!
Anyone would be able to understand or ‘separate facts from assumptions’ in my posts in this thread. Clearly the intelligence level of the poster I’m debating with here isn’t too lofty...Oh well, it happens.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Conte is a class manager. Comes to the PL, wins it before Pep and Klopp. Goes to Italy and breaks the Juvenus dominance he himself began. Deserves more credit.

Suedesi

Top reply indeed.
What's your point? If Man City were playing in Serie A, Inter and Lukaku wouldn't be competing for a scudetto either.

AFC NimbleThumb

I was going to move on till the lad below got sassy so I’ll show you the respect of a response.

You’ve used the outlier season in his career since breaking into first team football to compare him to Cavani this season which isn’t really discussing the player in good faith; whilst you’re correct he only got 12 [league] goals that season he’s been a 20 goal a season striker in 6 of the last 7 seasons.
In regards to Scudetto, we might top it & Inter may struggle to get aTop 6 in the EPL but it’s a rather irrelevant point as all i said was he’s challenging for the Scudetto & United aren’t challenging for the EPL. Whilst you may have a point, it’s all speculation & assumptive. The overreaction to the statement of fact is laughable.
What's your point? If Man City were playing in Serie A, Inter and Lukaku wouldn't be competing for a scudetto either.
Who’s talking about Man City. I said Lakaku is challenging for the Scudetto whilst we aren’t challenging for the EPL - move on lad it’s a statement of fact, getting riled won’t change that fact.

Bayern would walk Serie A too while we’re at it.

Suedesi

Who’s talking about Man City. I said Lakaku is challenging for the Scudetto whilst we aren’t challenging for the EPL - move on lad it’s a statement of fact, getting riled won’t change that fact.

Think before you write - we aren't competing for the PL title because City have won like 15 in a row. Absent City we'd be very much in the title race. Inter are top because Juve are having an abnormally off year.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I was going to move on till the lad below got sassy so I’ll show you the respect of a response.

You’ve used the outlier season in his career since breaking into first team football to compare him to Cavani this season which isn’t really discussing the player in good faith; whilst you’re correct he only got 12 [league] goals that season he’s been a 20 goal a season striker in 6 of the last 7 seasons.
In regards to Scudetto, we might top it & Inter may struggle to get aTop 6 in the EPL but it’s a rather irrelevant point as all i said was he’s challenging for the Scudetto & United aren’t challenging for the EPL. Whilst you may have a point, it’s all speculation & assumptive. The overreaction to the statement of fact is laughable.

I'd wait till Bayern play Lazio. Bayern have been in horrible form and can easily lose on Tuesday. They're only 2 points above 2nd place in the league.

Serie A teams are also unbeaten against BL teams this season in Europe with both Inter and Lazio drawing and beating Gladbach and Dortmund respectively.

Right now it seems the La Liga, Serie A and BL are all vying for 2nd place while the EPL has performed consistently to be the top.

AFC NimbleThumb

I'd wait till Bayern play Lazio. Bayern have been in horrible form and can easily lose on Tuesday. They're only 2 points above 2nd place in the league.

Serie A teams are also unbeaten against BL teams this season in Europe with both Inter and Lazio drawing and beating Gladbach and Dortmund respectively.

Right now it seems the La Liga, Serie A and BL are all vying for 2nd place while the EPL has performed consistently to be the top.
That line was a throw away comment based on the posters comment City would walk Serie A, I honestly don’t watch enough of it to know.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Tough run indeed and another test for Pirlo: if gassed before Porto, as almost inevitable, would he field the ancient (and pretty much finished at the highest level) Bonucci & Chiellini or the much more svelte De Ligt & Demiral as CBs? Porto away threatens to be another nightmare game, at this point of the season with a rookie coach, just like Ajax two years ago under Allegri and Lyon last year under Sarri.
Third again... bumpy road just ahead with injuries and Verona + Spezia + Lazio in a week before the 9th March CL doomsday vs Porto. A general sense of uncertainty, tiredness and boredom. Make or break time.

Pep's Suit

Inter already out, Juve+Atalanta+Lazio lost their CL games, Napoli lost to Granada in EL, Roma won and Milan draw. Another season of Seria A teams doing poorly in Europe.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
If Juventus, AC Milan and Roma qualify to the next stage then the only disappointment would be Inter imho:

- Juventus topped their group containing Barcelona (slightly overperformed given that last time Barcelona finished 2nd was in the 2006/07 season)
- Atalanta 2nd behind Liverpool ahead of Ajax; eliminated by Real Madrid -> as expected
- Lazio 2nd behind BVB, ahead of Brugge; eliminated by FC Bayern -> as expected
- Milan 1st in their group above Lille, to the UEL Ro16 after beating Red Star Belgrade -> as expected
- Roma 1st in their group above Young Boyz, to the UEL Ro16 after beating Braga -> as expected
- Napoli 1st in their group above Real Sociedad and eliminated by Granada -> finished above Real Sociedad when they was top of La Liga is a good achievement. Wouldn't be too bad if they get eliminated tonight given that they missed TEN players in the first match (SEVEN regular starters: Ospina, Koulibaly, Manolas, Hysaj, Demme, Lozano, Mertens) and will miss another SEVEN starters tonight (KK in, Osimehn out ). Napoli are 7th in Serie A, Granada are 9th in La Liga..

As I wrote, IF (big if) Juventus, Milan and Roma qualify to the UCL QF/UEL Ro16 then the european season would be okay imho

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
I think it also depends on who Roma/Milan get in the next round. If they get someone like Dinamo Zagreb or Molde, then going out in RO16 would be a disappointment. Losing to United or Tottenham wouldn't be seen as one IMO. Inter biggest disappointment for sure. Atalanta can never really be a disappointment - getting to top 16 in Europe is always a huge achievement. Lazio did as well as they could - they are no match for Bayern.

Napoli is a disappointment in the sense that they are better than Granada - but they've had so many injuries and have really struggled with that.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course this only matters from QF level, when the realistic opportunity of a deep run makes any team appreciative of the fuss and the energy outtake. That said, the only (marginally) realistic shots at this stage are Juve in the CL and Roma in the EL, provided that they play pragmatic football from now on, so avoiding calamitous mistakes again.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Another draw for Juventus, another awful performance and now they're 7 points off top of the league:

Given our recent form, only Inter can lose this Scudetto

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Juventus is still favourite against Porto because they have better individual players. I am not a big fan of Conceição but he prepared well the first game vs Juve, the issue here is will he go there only to defend and change his system to play with a back 5 and expect or will they try the same approach?

Nedved

Juventus is still favourite against Porto because they have better individual players. I am not a big fan of Conceição but he prepared well the first game vs Juve, the issue here is will he go there only to defend and change his system to play with a back 5 and expect or will they try the same approach?
There is hope for Juventus if some of the many injured key players (Dybala, Morata, Cuadrado, Arthur and Bonucci) return. Otherwise, there is too little technical quality on the pitch.