Italian Serie A - 2021-2022

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
Milan was wildly helped last year to get them back on the spotlight… and you got their fair share of help this year again, together with a few blips like yesterday.
Would love for you to unpack this. Even the media last year said all of our penalties (bar one, v Roma) were legitimate.
And please, for the love of all that is good, please tell me how we've been assisted this season. Was it yesterday? Was it the "offside" of giroud v Napoli, when he was fouled and not even in direct play w the goal? I won't even get into the Champions League, because then I'd have 3-4 more cases. Let's focus on Serie A. How have we been helped in any way this season?

Anyways, like I said... Milan shouldve scored and ended the game on one of their 20 great chances. Shouldn't have had to come down to that. But it did, and we still should have had 3pts.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Would love for you to unpack this. Even the media last year said all of our penalties (bar one, v Roma) were legitimate.
And please, for the love of all that is good, please tell me how we've been assisted this season. Was it yesterday? Was it the "offside" of giroud v Napoli, when he was fouled and not even in direct play w the goal? I won't even get into the Champions League, because then I'd have 3-4 more cases. Let's focus on Serie A. How have we been helped in any way this season?

Anyways, like I said... Milan shouldve scored and ended the game on one of their 20 great chances. Shouldn't have had to come down to that. But it did, and we still should have had 3pts.
The general point is you are doing well, very well, even beyond expectations, so fair play to you. There is also a running interest from Serie A to have one or more active races (for the scudetto, for CL spots, for relegation) and a circus for the onlookers (you can read extensively how people on here are enjoying the pinball games we are all having lately)… it’s the new product they need to sell. Most importantly, sh*t happens, it is a fine margins game and 38 games pretty always compensate the occasional, unfortunate, unconsiderate lows and highs. Would you bet there will be a nice compensation on Sunday, a perfectly scripted opportunity to stir the Serie A pot even more? :lol:

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
The general point is you are doing well, very well, even beyond expectations, so fair play to you. There is also a running interest from Serie A to have one or more active races (for the scudetto, for CL spots, for relegation) and a circus for the onlookers (you can read extensively how people on here are enjoying the pinball games we are all having lately)… it’s the new product they need to sell. Most importantly, sh*t happens, it is a fine margins game and 38 games pretty always compensate the occasional, unfortunate, unconsiderate lows and highs. Would you bet there will be a nice compensation on Sunday, a perfectly scripted opportunity to stir the Serie A pot even more? :lol:
I hope not. as much as i would love to hammer Juve, I want to do it because we earned it, not because of a refereeing "payback". Despite currently missing our 3 starting CBs and 2 of our 3 starting midfielders (to afcon), we have playing very good football, and should have won 3 of 3 since the return. those 3pts could be the difference between a scudetto challenge and inter just strolling to the finish line.

The fact we're in second despite our injury crisis this season, is unreal. So seeing things like yesterday especially bothers me. They deserved the win and it was taken away. But again, they could've also scored one of the previous 20 chances they had... Our finishing is a major problem

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another game Arthur starts, another game where Juve actually look like a team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He must have developed pretty quick then to get voted POTY in his first season back in England. The season in which he scored more goals than any other forward did in a single season since Shearer 95.
But the question I want you to answer is to give a list of WC players playing in the PL right now or in the last 5 seasons ?
He must have! A bit like how Yorke came to us as a good player, and, in his first season, was absolutely world class. One of the best seasons I've seen from a United player ever. It happens.

Pintu

And the Coppa games seems to be just as chaotic and spectacular.

Inter through to the quarters, to face the winner of Roma vs Lecce.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For those who can read italian

https://www.ultimouomo.com/recap-statistico-meta-campionato/

Some highlights:
Dumfries = GOOD @KirkDuyt @Cheimoon
Calhanoglu = best midfielder in the league. Sorry milanisti :lol:
Maignan = Dollarumma WHO???? :D
Cuadrado, Dybala and Chiesa are the entire juventus attack
Mourinho = a better attacking coach than Allegri

Inter and Milan are the two best sides in the league, and the two best coached sides, with Inter being a level above Milan and a couple above everyone else

Lazio have the best attacking players in the league, consistently take better shots than anyone else and convert them better. Milinkovic-Savic is wasting his career there

Serie A is very big on wingers, they're the most important players in the league in terms of attacking play

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Some highlights:

Inter and Milan are the two best sides in the league, and the two best coached sides, with Inter being a level above Milan and a couple above everyone else

Lazio have the best attacking players in the league, consistently take better shots than anyone else and convert them better. Milinkovic-Savic is wasting his career there

Serie A is very big on wingers, they're the most important players in the league in terms of attacking play
I can follow, but you don't actually need to read Italian for the Dumfries bit, since he features only in that StatsBomb table on On Ball Value (OBV). He does indeed do pretty well in there! :eek: Good to see Koopmeiners seems to be adapting well at Atalanta as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, he's been great Koopmeiners. Typical atalanta signing that

Maignan is the 16th player in the league for OBV, which is just :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nevermind Donnarumma. Ederson, Alisson, Neuer, Ter Stegen, who the feck are they :lol:

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
Calhanoglu the best midfielder in the league?

He isn't even top 15. The man stat pads, and there are plenty of "beyond the number" analyses that prove that. Milan and Inter both have 2-3 mids each better than him.

Didn't want Milan losing him for free, but didn't bother me losing him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Calhanoglu the best midfielder in the league?

He isn't even top 15. The man stat pads, and there are plenty of "beyond the number" analyses that prove that. Milan and Inter both have 2-3 mids each better than him.
Links to those analyses?

And yeah, in absolute terms i agree, but he's the best performing mid in the league so far

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Some highlights:

Dumfries is such a weird player. I'm quite confident I have a better first touch than him, yet here I am in my middle class house while he's tearing it up at Inter.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
Links to those analyses?

And yeah, in absolute terms i agree, but he's the best performing mid in the league so far
When im back at home ill try finding the tweet. It was from a reputable statistical site. Basically summed up, it said the majority of his stats are the result of "tap in" chances, or however they worded it.

Stats wise, of course he'll be up there, he's a #10/attacking mid on a high scoring team. But in terms of just midfielders, plenty in Serie A better n

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I might be totally wrong here but Roma this season have been the unluckiest team in the league.

In some of the big games Roma had so so many chances but for some reason failed to convert it.

Surprisingly, the style of play has been pretty good in most of the games. Mourinho has served up some gorgeous football in some of the games.

Talking about the squad, I think their defense needs improving. Mancini seems to be decent but sometimes does the silliest things trying to be unnecessarily aggressive. Veretout is average and Sergio Oliveira seems like a shrewd signing.

The attack has been pretty good overall. Tammy and Pellegrini have been awesome. Zaniolo yet to start firing but the guy has so much potential. The way he runs reminds me of a slower version of Kaka. Needs to work on his end product though. Not nearly enough goal contributions.

The youngsters look fairly average except Felix Afena Gyan who Mourinho trusts a lot. Karsdorp and Ibanez have been alright.

I totally don't understand what Cristante is supposed to be good at. He just tries Hollywood passes aimlessly most of the time. Don't rate him whatsoever.

They need one good DM and a good CB to be back in the Champions League imo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dumfries --> Dzeko

Inter win at the death after a game they really should have put away much earlier

Pintu

That overlap by Dumfries was worthy of Hakimi. And a great header from Dzeko to win it for Inter. Inter now has a + 5 lead over Milan who faces Juventus tomorrow. And + 7 over Napoli.

Really gutted for Venezia, they are such a nice club. But no surprise, the salvation battle was always going to be tough for them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That overlap by Dumfries was worthy of Hakimi. And a great header from Dzeko to win it for Inter. Inter now has a + 5 lead over Milan who faces Juventus tomorrow. And + 7 over Napoli.

Really gutted for Venezia, they are such a nice club. But no surprise, the salvation battle was always going to be tough for them.
Weren't they involved in human trafficking or was it special?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Never heard of that. What exactly are you referring to?
There was leak from a nyt contributor a while ago ( God knows if its true or not) that some Italian clubs were involved in human trafficking.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There was leak from a nyt contributor a while ago ( God knows if its true or not) that some Italian clubs were involved in human trafficking.
Spezia, under the previous owner. Accused of trafficking Nigerian kids, which tracks with him making his billions in Nigeria

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Spezia, under the previous owner. Accused of trafficking Nigerian kids, which tracks with him making his billions in Nigeria
Strange how there isn't much coverage of this issue. Seems like a big deal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Strange how there isn't much coverage of this issue. Seems like a big deal.
It's the word of a single journalist so far. Maybe there is an investigation going on that is obviously being kept under wraps, who knows

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's the word of a single journalist so far. Maybe there is an investigation going on that is obviously being kept under wraps, who knows
Fair enough , but it's a very damming allegation that's being leveled on them so you'd imagine more of an outcry.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fair enough , but it's a very damming allegation that's being leveled on them so you'd imagine more of an outcry.
Didn't get much attention in Italy if at all. At least not through the media. Have to think given the accusations that there is an investigation going on and that's the reason for the media blackout of it

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Didn't get much attention in Italy if at all. At least not through the media. Have to think given the accusations that there is an investigation going on and that's the reason for the media blackout of it
Hopefully you're right and if it turns out to be true the correct measures to rectify it as much as possible will be taken.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
absolutely massive match today between Milan and Juventus.
Milan trying to keep close to the top, for a potential scudetto run, and Juventus trying to climb into CL positions.

Problem is, match being played on a winter San Siro pitch that was played on yesterday, by Inter. First time ever a match has been played on back2back days there... And the condition is poor to start with. A shame

Notable "outs" today are Kessie (afcon) and Tomori (injury) and Chiesa (injury) and Bonucci.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, here we go again. As usual, in these precarious and levelled times, a 1-1 draw is the most probable outcome between tier 2 teams in Italy (Inter being the only marginal tier 1, a bit deeper and stronger overall). After that, real football is not a videogame, then let’s see what happens. Good luck!

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Mourinho is a dinosaur of a level previously unseen. After great first half, his team has given up in such a way that Empoli could have actually made a comeback to a game in which they were trailing 4:0 at a halftime.

And the underlying stats just prove the point further. Empoli has had 70 percent of ball possession in second half, Mourinho's team just let the time flow and could have actually made it bad for themselves.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Tammy Abraham has been pretty good.

Bet few Chelsea fans would take him back in place of Lukaku now!!!