Italian Serie A - 2021-2022

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Maybe.

Or Maybe not. Looking at Tammy Abraham stats:

He scored 1 goal every 182 minutes on average (3 penalties included). This has been the worst Tammy Abraham season in terms of goal per minute ratio..

Not even 15 non-penalty goals despite over 3000 minutes and 37 games played for Tammy Abraham.. Are Premier League players overrated?

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
Quality of the league, even Lukaku looked good there.
yet his highest ever goal scoring season came in the EPL.
and he's the EPLs 19th alltime top scorer.

the actual answer, Lazio play offensive ball, and give him immense amounts of service. stays healthy, and plays minutes galore.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just two posts in 20 minutes after someone calling the league crap.

Shocking display, Serie A Defence League. The Bundesliga lads would have had at least five by now.

el3mel

Clearly it was a tongue in cheek comment but are we now seriously going to pretend Serie A is as difficult as the Premier League at this point in time?
No one said that, of course the tempo there is slower and spaces are more frequent.

But when United signed Lukaku he was back then considered one of those "PL proven players". Scored 25 PL goals in his last season with Everton, and I don't remember him scoring many pens this season either, I think only one against Arsenal or something.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan

Shocking display, Serie A Defence League. The Bundesliga lads would have had at least five by now.
Unfortunately Bundesliga brigade is much larger than Serie A. But here we go with the third post.

10 current Premier League players who look much better there than when they were in Serie A:
1. Manchester City: Joao Cancelo. Good for Juventus but nothing more than that. look world class at Manchester City.
2. Liverpool: Mohamed Salah. Same as above
3. Chelsea: Rudiger, Jorginho same as above.. Kovacic wasn't even good during his Inter stint.
4. Tottenham: Kulusevski and Bentancur, Both mediocre at Juventus, great for Tottenham.
5. Arsenal: Tomiyasu. Decent for mid-table Bologna, moved to Arsenal during the deadline day after all the italian teams refused to sign him. He's doing very well there
6. placed Manchester United: Bruno Fernandes. Bang average in Serie A, look a great player there. Diogo Dalot: squad player for Milan, regular starter for United. Incredible how Calabria's back up has costantly benched £50m English player Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the last months.

And I only took in account the top 6 teams, I think I can easily name another 20-25 players if I include all the other PL teams.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Unfortunately Bundesliga brigade is much larger than Serie A. But here we go with the third post.

10 current Premier League players who look much better there than when they were in Serie A:
1. Manchester City: Joao Cancelo. Good for Juventus but nothing more than that. look world class at Manchester City.
2. Liverpool: Mohamed Salah. Same as above
3. Chelsea: Rudiger, Jorginho same as above.. Kovacic wasn't even good during his Inter stint.
4. Tottenham: Kulusevski and Bentancur, Both mediocre at Juventus, great for Tottenham.
5. Arsenal: Tomiyasu. Decent for mid-table Bologna, moved to Arsenal during the deadline day after all the italian teams refused to sign him. He's doing very well there
6. placed Manchester United: Bruno Fernandes. Bang average in Serie A, look a great player there. Diogo Dalot: squad player for Milan, regular starter for United. Incredible how Calabria's back up has costantly benched £50m English player Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the last months.

And I only took in account the top 6 teams, I think I can easily name another 20-25 players if I include all the other PL teams.
Most of those players you listed were young. Ever heard of player growth?
Dalot played the same amount for Milan as he did for us this season when we were absolute shit which tells you a lot.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Headless chickens vs lame ducks is a no contest because they play a different sport, albeit on the same pitch and with the same ball? Top headless chickens (Liverpool) vs top lame ducks (Inter) was a pretty even game in the CL not later than three months ago? On a more serious note, the very recent ITA to ENG moves and vice versa provide enough feedback and food for thought about the strength and the weakenesses of both leagues, as said by the players themselves through their weekly interviews. It is also clear that the PL has the upper hand, yet not as much as stereotypes suggest.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Quality of entire league is not the main factor for players moving between leagues, not until you get to bigger jumps in quality like leagues usually outside the top 5-7 or so in rankings. even then, it often might not be the main reason a player fails. Tactics and current situation of the club they are moving to, as well as player ability to adapt to the new life situation in general are more important, but sadly don't make for the same farmer league trolling opportunities.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Most of those players you listed were young. Ever heard of player growth?
Dalot played the same amount for Milan as he did for us this season when we were absolute shit which tells you a lot.
Player growth? In the list I posted only Kovacic can have this excuse (him, Coutinho or Pedro Neto just to make some other names)

Bentancur and Kulusevski were mediocre for Juventus and both started to perform much better as soon as they moved to Premier League. Did they exponentially grow between January and Fabruary? Same for Joao Cancelo, Tomiyasu and Mo Salah, three players who suddenly looked much better after joining an english club.
Wonder to myself if the quality of Premier League really is so much higher than Serie A at this point..

Jorginho joined Chelsea at 27 y.o. while Bruno Fernandes is a curious case.. played 5 years in Italy and showed no sign of improvement between 2012 and 2017 so he can't really blame the fact he was young at the time. you can't wait 10 years for a player to develop.

el3mel

Player growth? In the list I posted only Kovacic can have this excuse (him, Coutinho or Pedro Neto just to make some other names)

Bentancur and Kulusevski were mediocre for Juventus and both started to perform much better as soon as they moved to Premier League. Did they exponentially grow between January and Fabruary? Same for Joao Cancelo, Tomiyasu and Mo Salah, three players who suddenly looked much better after joining an english club.
Wonder to myself if the quality of Premier League really is so much higher than Serie A at this point..

Jorginho joined Chelsea at 27 y.o. while Bruno Fernandes is a curious case.. played 5 years in Italy and showed no sign of improvement between 2012 and 2017 so he can't really blame the fact he was young at the time. you can't wait 10 years for a player to develop.
Salah started his career in Europe in an older age (20) and when he went to Serie A he was still work in progress. He was improving year after year and his numbers was increasing gradually. I do agree that he didn't look like a 44 goals a season player back then but he wasn't in his prime at Roma and he still looked very good.

marktan

So Genoa and Venezia are relegated, two USA owner clubs. Genoa in particular was bought for an eye watering $150m last year; at least in Venezia case it was bought for cheap and brought up from Serie D.

It is a reminder though that despite the growth in valuations at clubs, being successful in football is hard. I remember reading Alan Sugar's autobiography when I was young and he said he wasted 10 years of his life running Tottenham, and so it amuses me that so many Americans in particular rush in to buy clubs.

Elliot Short should be a reminder of how easily things can wrong and how costly they can be. Funnily enough though Rob McElhenney saw Sunderland's double relegation in Sunderland Till I Die' and decided you know what, I think it's time to buy Wrexham.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As expected, Juve cannot keep the ball with no Arthur. He's the only way to negate Allegri's dinosaur tactics.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Disappointing season for Juventus, miles behind the Milan clubs and probably will finish 9 behind Napoli. Big summer ahead.

Pintu

Salah started his career in Europe in an older age (20) and when he went to Serie A he was still work in progress. He was improving year after year and his numbers was increasing gradually. I do agree that he didn't look like a 44 goals a season player back then but he wasn't in his prime at Roma and he still looked very good.
In his last season in Italy, Salah was a good player for Roma. He scored 15 goals and made 11 assists. And he hugely contributed to their high-scoring record that year. Dzeko won the scoring table with 29 goals. That was the last time 3 clubs in Serie A finished above 85 points (Roma, Napoli and Juve). Juventus were too good for the rest, but Salah's spell at Roma was certainly a success.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I admit this depressing season has made me zone out from anything football so I've missed Milan's resurgence.

Hoping they finish the job. Would make me feel optimistic about United's own chance of a comeback.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Clearly it was a tongue in cheek comment but are we now seriously going to pretend Serie A is as difficult as the Premier League at this point in time?
League difficulty is one aspect, team tactics, player motivation, confidence levels. Too many parameters need to be considered tbh

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So Atalanta miss out on Europe for the first time since 16/17

Roman clubs in EL, Fiorentina in the Conference

Salernitana and Cagliari play at 9PM to avoid relegation. Salernitana at home vs Udinese, Cagliari @ Venezia. 2 points difference, Cagliari hold the tiebreaker

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Milan could have scored 6 by now. It's the 23rd minute :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Done, never thought they would sort their mess out sooner than we could.

Massive credit to Maldini, what a legend he's been for them.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Rafael Leao is amazing.

If he performs like this also in Champions League or in World cup next season then he'd easily become a £100m player.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Well done Milan. Does that make us the only European giant still in the wilderness?