Italian Serie A - 2021-2022

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Newcastle top6 in Serie A? Above Napoli or Atalanta?? (I still put Juve, Inter, Roma and us above those two teams).. Meh..

Let's talk about Atalanta, but not about their most famous players (Ilicic, Muriel, Zapata).
Just talk about Atalanta's midfielders/wingbacks alone and their performances at Euro2020 only (given that, at this point, it's clear almost no one here watches Serie A):
Five different Atalanta players found the net at Euro2020 (matching an all-time record).. Their WBs Gosens and Maehle had an excellent tournament and were linked to several top clubs last summer. De Roon was a regular starter for Netherland, Freuler regular starter for a Switzerland team that eliminated France, Pessina had a great tournament as well and scored 2 decisive goals, Malinovsky regular starter and key player for an Ukraine team that reached the Quarter-finals (sadly he couldn't play against England due to an injury), Miranchuk was the best russian player in the competition.. And last but not least: Mario Pasalic, who scored a beautiful header vs Spain..
Teuns Koopmeiners would easily start for Newcastle, let alone all the other mids and the likes of Gosens, Maehle, Ilicic, Muriel, Zapata..

"That Newcastle team would probably be top 6 in Serie A."... 19th placed Newcastle United.. Serie A top 6.. Okay..

Not every post warrants a serious defensive reply

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
That Newcastle team would probably be top 6 in Serie A.
Probably true, but it is easier when you just can buy the best managers from Spain, Germany, and Italy.

I will be waiting for a top european team to hire an english manager.

avgp_1

Serie A has around 8-9 very competitive teams and there are interesting games to look forward to almost every weekend. For me, its easily the most exciting league to follow after the PL

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Serie A has been really exciting for a while. When you look at how many goals you get across the league and the gap between the teams (which is quite small in this respect) it’s actually highly competitive and, dare I say it for Serie A, an attack focused league.
Yeah even if when you ignore the goals scored/conceded, just the intensity and tempo of some of the games are a lot higher than what it has been historically.

Pintu

Probably true, but it is easier when you just can buy the best managers from Spain, Germany, and Italy.

Newcastle doesn't have the team to be top 6 in France or Portugal. They have the money to be challenging for the top 3 there but they are not as competent and that's why their squad is by no means on the levels of Sporting or Marseille.

The fact that they probably have more money than 14 squads in Italy doesn't mean they would be top 6. Plus they wouldn't have as much money if they were playing outside the financially doped PL. Pretending they would be top 6 in Italy is beyond delusional.

The PL bottom has been making much more money than most clubs in the other top 3 European leagues for more than a decade but ( with the exception of Leicester), they have still not produced anything worth noting with this money.

But we were told that there is no way an Italian squad made of Serie A players (including players from Torino, Sassuolo, Fiorentina) could ever cope with the rhythm of almighty PL players and still that majority Serie A team still won it deservedly.

Reactions: Jippy

cyberman

England is a world league though. These jibes doesn’t make sense to me. Do you think EPL fans care if an EPL manager rises through the ranks? They’re just happy taking the best minds from world football and utilising them in the English game hence the quality of the league and the fantastic standard of the English national team at the minute.

Pintu

England is a world league though. These jibes doesn’t make sense to me. Do you think EPL fans care if an EPL manager rises through the ranks? They’re just happy taking the best minds from world football and utilising them in the English game hence the quality of the league and the fantastic standard of the English national team at the minute.
The EPL is extremely well marketed and generates colossal sums of money. But its financial superiority does not translate into technical superiority of the same level. At the Euros Serie A players scored more goals than PL players. From the semi-finals on, Serie A playersscored all goals (Spain's, Denmark's and Italy's) except the England ones.

Serie A and Bundes Liga with way lower financial means are still producing high-quality football and national teams that wins WCs and Euros. And Spanish clubs (other than the big 2) are also producing high-quality football despite being poorer than most of the PL.

cyberman

The EPL is extremely well marketed and generates colossal sums of money. But its financial superiority does not translate into technical superiority of the same level. At the Euros Serie A players scored more goals than PL players. From the semi-finals on, Serie A playersscored all goals (Spain's, Denmark's and Italy's) except the England ones.

Serie A and Bundes Liga with way lower financial means are still producing high-quality football and national teams that wins WCs and Euros. And Spanish clubs (other than the big 2) are also producing high-quality football despite being poorer than most of the PL.
International football has little to do with levels of the players at club level. Even then the way the English national team has grown to include such quality proves it’s not just long ball English donkeys being carried by foreign exports.
That argument is about 10 years out of date to be honest.

Pintu

International football has little to do with levels of the players at club level. Even then the way the English national team has grown to include such quality proves it’s not just long ball English donkeys being carried by foreign exports.
That argument is about 10 years out of date to be honest.
You were the one using it earlier

" They’re just happy taking the best minds from world football and utilizing them in the English game hence the quality of the league and the fantastic standard of the English national team at the minute. "

Either way. You are not utilizing the money wisely as of yet. Manchester United have lost 7 of its last 11 UCL games, most of these defeats were to teams that are financially poor and supposedly not at all on the same level as the mighty EPL.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
And are we yet alive… after so much pastasciutta. Rejoice. Live ahead. :wenger:

Arios

Supports
Juventus
And are we yet alive… after so much pastasciutta. Rejoice. Live ahead. :wenger:
I wouldn't be that confident. If Juventus don't win against Milan .... it's over and we'll fight for a top4 spot

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I wouldn't be that confident. If Juventus don't win against Milan .... it's over and we'll fight for a top4 spot
It is going to be bumpy before Allegri finds his best lineup and morphs so many confused passengers into an acceptable number of positive drivers… but the overall quality of the squad is not bad, not at all. We will see in a couple of months, and how far behind we are from the top (or the top 4).

DavidDeSchmikes

Already 2 managerial changes.
Verona (replacing Di Francesco with Igor Tudor)
Cagliari (replacing Leonardo Semplici with Walter Mazzarri)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Madness. Absolute madness. Cagliari also sacked the Director of Football, so at least it's a coherent decision - didn't want to continue with this manager in the first place

Verona, just makes no sense

avgp_1

Torino look much better this season under Juric. With a midfield of Pobega, Lukic, Praet, Brekalo there is a quite a lot of talent to work with. Could make a push for the European spots maybe

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Torino look much better this season under Juric. With a midfield of Pobega, Lukic, Praet, Brekalo there is a quite a lot of talent to work with. Could make a push for the European spots maybe
Goes to show once again what a difference a good coach makes

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dumfries will crush it. Freight train RWB against constant back 3s…

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What in the name of all that is good is that inter kit :houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
I love Milan Skriniar! My fav Inter player by far… Gladiator!!!

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
I hope we smash AC Milan into pieces.
My predictions are 3-1, 3-0 or 2-2.

possible lineup

Juventus 442

Szczesny

Denilo De ligt Chiellini Alex Sandro

Cuadrado Bentancur Locatelli Rabiot

Dybala Morata

el3mel

Roma's defense is hilariously bad. It was the same vs Sassuolo. All over the place at the back.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Refs in Italy are actually terrible. It’s one thing to make a mistake that ruins the result of the game but they constantly ruin the game itself.

This guy at Verona has wasted about 10 minutes of football by giving fouls for dives, delaying subs and stopping the game for no reason.