Italian Serie A 2022/23

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Serie A is having a really good season so far. 3 teams in the CL quarter finals and 2 in the EL quarter finals. There will be a "team kill" between Napoli and Milan, but this is still pretty impressive stuff.

I don't normally watch Serie A so I wonder what's different this time around? Is it just a freak coincidence or has it been coming?

ti vu

Serie A is having a really good season so far. 3 teams in the CL quarter finals and 2 in the EL quarter finals. There will be a "team kill" between Napoli and Milan, but this is still pretty impressive stuff.

I don't normally watch Serie A so I wonder what's different this time around? Is it just a freak coincidence or has it been coming?
Serie A has been improving (when Juventus declines!!!) the past few years, but I believe it's still a freak coincedence. Milan and Inter got opponent beatable opponent last round. Whether Italian teams can maintain much competitiveness next year and near future is to be seen.

Pintu

Napoli fully deserved their place in the quarters.

Milan got a very lucky draw. Spurs being by a country mile the easiest group winner they could get (given that they couldn’t draw Chelsea)…

Inter is a different story. I think they got lucky against Barcelona in the group stage and their team from a year ago would have deserved to beat Liverpool in that Ro 16 more than this side… Their confrontation with Porto looked very evenly matched. Which suggest Benfica should dispose of them easily.

The clubs doing well in EL and ECL were fully expected. Roma vs Sociedad was a tricky one, but Roma has more talent.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
bit of both but the former carries the heavier lift. Juventus dropping down to EL, getting Di Maria back to a semblance of his best just in time and generally getting fit and figuring itself out a bit, Roma being strong, and Milan and Inter getting kind R16 draws

Fiorentina also haven't faced anything that would really test them yet, though that's also a sign of their strenght

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Serie A has been improving (when Juventus declines!!!) the past few years, but I believe it's still a freak coincedence. Milan and Inter got opponent beatable opponent last round. Whether Italian teams can maintain much competitiveness next year and near future is to be seen.
Resident Serie A folks have seen it, both self-inflicted and externally induced in the recent years, and having more teams winning titles surely help their belief and confidence, even if patterns are inconsistent or with lower peaks.

We are at a point Juventus leaving Serie A is the best scenario for all parties, provided that Serie A finds a way to stay solvent and Juventus goes on to play a SuperLeague with similarly sized clubs. In case, the reserve team now in Serie C can still stay and play in Italy, capped at say 1/10 or 1/5 the first team.

For sure, with even De Laurentiis now claiming UEFA is failing local leagues and Napoli, it is not an Agnelli dirty vision or wet dream anymore to think of a different way to make football work.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Juve are nothing to worry about. I’d fancy us to beat them over two legs.

Idxomer

Absurd Juve is only 7 points off 4th after getting 15 point deducted and missing half of their team for most of the season.

Pintu

Absurd Juve is only 7 points off 4th after getting 15 point deducted and missing half of their team for most of the season.
They have -by far- the league’s biggest wage bill. And even without the -15, they’d still be 15 pts behind Napoli.

For the third season in raw they are nowhere near a title challenge. And while they used to get through the CL group stages comfortably, this time they were lucky to get third place.

Last edited:

Arios

Supports
Juventus
They are the better team to be fair but the goal shouldn’t be allowed. It was a clear handball
witter.com/iceman_63/status/1637585837008322562
this shows that ball pass close but doesn't touch Rabiot's arm.
Vlahovic touch it twice but (first time) his arm is attached to his body.
Second touch ball hit his arm after being deflected by his chest

Canagel

Allegri has done a good job despite the off field turbulence. Still yet to field his strongest 11.

If he pulls off Top 4 with a -15 deduction, wins the cup and the EL it has to go down as one of his best achievements.

Idxomer

They have -by far- the league’s biggest wage bill. And even without the -15, they’d still be 15 pts behind Napoli.

For the third season in raw they are nowhere near a title challenge. And while they used to get through the CL group stages conformably, this time they were lucky to get third place.
They have underperformed generally in the last 3 years. They have done well results-wise this season though if you take into consideration the points deductions and the injuries.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know its Italian B but I just found out today that Dennis Wise is the president of Como :lol:
Cesc Fabregas is there. They were struggling at the start of the season but have picked up and are currently 10th. Outside chance of the playoffs

Irwin99

Was just curious about Napoli's rise and i looked at their previous finishes in the league and their trajectory in the last four seasons and it is really impressive: from 7th to 5th to 3rd to 1st . That's some level of consistent improvement!!! What's behind it all? i don't know much about the Italian league but has it just been shrewd planning/investment, good coaching? Looks a hell of a plan if they did have one :lol:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
If we don't interest in comparing to the 1990s version or the late 1980s version, since I don't think the league can be duplicated to similar scenarios in 5 or 10 years. I must say yes, they are generally improving a lot if we compare the current Serie A to the early 2010s version. I would say the late 2010s Serie A until the present has been developing in a good way, especially in terms of attractiveness and style of playing. I maybe talk in a bit magniloquent manner, but I think and have confidence that I see the way the Italian clubs in the late 2020s( or even the early 2020s) will come back and claim the throne of being the force in UCL/UEL competition. Right now the league situations are far from despondent( if we don't interest in terms of some clubs financial statements).

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
He left Inter because they didn't want to make big investments so I can't see him returning to Serie A given all the big clubs bar Napoli are broken and under FFP's settlement agreement..

Don't think he's so desperate to come back now... especially because he hasn't lived 2 full years abroad so Italian clubs can't use the growth decree to afford his salary as the first time or as for Mourinho

Arios

Supports
Juventus

@Arios @abundance @Bepi

@all of Juventus/Milan/Inter fans

Do you want him to comeback to your team( Inter/ Juve)again?
I'd say ONLY if our alternative is keeping Allegri.
If you tell me it's either Allegri or Conte. I would go for Conte 100% even if his costant and public bitching to owners and managers is annoying.
Right now Juventus sucks and I could accept Conte 1-2 years to revitalize the team and then switch to an improvement

He left Inter because they didn't want to make big investments so I can't see him returning to Serie A given all the big clubs bar Napoli are broken and under FFP's settlement agreement..

Don't think he's so desperate to come back now... especially because he hasn't lived 2 full years abroad so Italian clubs can't use the growth decree to afford his salary as the first time or as for Mourinho
wrong!
His family never left Turin and his adventure at Tottenham was him staying without his wife and kids in London as they refused to move away from Turin.
So if he could he'd love to move back in Turin or Milan which is 45mins away from Turin.
I can totally see him lowering his wages demands if it was to go either to Juventus or Milan/Inter.
Also he'd be a fish in the sea in Serie A with all the bitching,crying and so on.
Anyway for now Juventus doesn't have a sportive management just accountants to look after the last scandal
Inter doesn't the money
Milan can't spend the money as their owners are cheap and all about no losses in the books

So from that side you're right.
But where could he go? Bayern got Tuchel.
Real players already rejected him once (though it was the old generation)
Psg?
Manchester United is settled.
City if nothing happens is settled as well
Chealsea?
Liverpool if Klopps leaves?

Last edited:

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
I'd say ONLY if our alternative is keeping Allegri.
If you tell me it's either Allegri or Conte. I would go for Conte 100% even if his costant and public bitching to owners and managers is annoying.
Right now Juventus sucks and I could accept Conte 1-2 years to revitalize the team and then switch to an improvement

wrong!
His family never left Turin and his adventure at Tottenham was him staying without his wife and kids in London as they refused to move away from Turin.
So if he could he'd love to move back in Turin or Milan which is 45mins away from Turin.
I can totally see him lowering his wages demands if it was to go either to Juventus or Milan/Inter.
Also he'd be a fish in the sea in Serie A with all the bitching,crying and so on.
Anyway for now Juventus doesn't have a sportive management just accountants to look after the last scandal
Inter doesn't the money
Milan can't spend the money as their owners are cheap and all about no losses in the books

So from that side you're right.
But where could he go? Bayern got Tuchel.
Real players already rejected him once (though it was the old generation)
Psg?
Manchester United is settled.
City if nothing happens is settled as well
Chealsea?
Liverpool if Klopps leaves?
Just like with Inter, Conte leave Juventus because he said he can not compete in the CL without big investments, the. Allegri came and reached 2 CL finals. Give Allegri over Conte any time.

Lay

Inter lose at home to Fiorentina. They might feck around and miss the top 4 at this rate

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Top4 is a mess.. I really can't predict who's gonna be in the UCL next season.. At this point Milan, Inter, Juve, Lazio, Roma and Atalanta have pretty much the same chances..

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Top4 is a mess.. I really can't predict who's gonna be in the UCL next season.. At this point Milan, Inter, Juve, Lazio, Roma and Atalanta have pretty much the same chances..
Are you kidding? We are going to be deducted by the end of May the exact number of points to be relegated in first instance. After that, anything can happen but nobody is going to tell the 4th placed team to make place for Juve in June or July. Imagine it’s Inter… they would keep crying until 2050.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Milan very good today, slicing through Napoli's midfield and defence over and over again.

ti vu

Milan slaughtering Napoli. May not affect Napoli Serie A triumph, but Milan may psych Napoli out ahead of their CL tie.

Not sure Osimhen absence is missed this much, or Napoli as a whole had a bad day at office.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Wish Milan had saved this performance for the champions league tie. Great result tonight but it won't matter much in the overall league standings.

Lay

Strange game by Napoli, never got into their groove. Its going to make the UCL tie even more interesting now

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Great win from us. We have outpowered and outpaced them.
I don't know if they might have peaked too early and now are declining but for sure this game make me confident about the UCL Quarter-final tie.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Two h2h games and Napoli got battered from pillar to post both times

Might be a match up issue, which would not bode well for Napoli in CL. Osimhen hasn't played either game though

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Two h2h games and Napoli got battered from pillar to post both times

Might be a match up issue, which would not bode well for Napoli in CL. Osimhen hasn't played either game though
Yeah Napoli has been surprisingly vulnerable in both games against AC Milan.

Suedesi

Resident Serie A folks have seen it, both self-inflicted and externally induced in the recent years, and having more teams winning titles surely help their belief and confidence, even if patterns are inconsistent or with lower peaks.

We are at a point Juventus leaving Serie A is the best scenario for all parties, provided that Serie A finds a way to stay solvent and Juventus goes on to play a SuperLeague with similarly sized clubs. In case, the reserve team now in Serie C can still stay and play in Italy, capped at say 1/10 or 1/5 the first team.

For sure, with even De Laurentiis now claiming UEFA is failing local leagues and Napoli, it is not an Agnelli dirty vision or wet dream anymore to think of a different way to make football work.
Dream on