Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is Sunny still worth watching? Absolutely loved it and watched everything up to and including season 12 - caught the odd episode here and there since but would probably opt for earlier seasons than any of the new ones.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Is Sunny still worth watching? Absolutely loved it and watched everything up to and including season 12 - caught the odd episode here and there since but would probably opt for earlier seasons than any of the new ones.
It depends on how busy you are and how much you loved Sunny to begin with. Season 13 is when the show had a noticeable dip in quality in my opinion. And in 14 it got even worse.

But at its core it's still Sunny. Every remaining season has at least a few good episodes and most of the bad episodes also have a good joke or two. If you don't have a hectic schedule I would still recommend watching it. The episodes are short and so are the seasons, so you probably have a little more than 10 hours of unseen episodes left.

decorativeed

A decent last episode for the season, and fun to see what he made out of the situation Howerton had with the Tesla that he owned which got stuck in an underground car park, as mentioned on the podcast a while back.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Does anyone know why their podcast has been on a break for 4 months now? Busy schedules and multiple members not being present for the episode has not stopped them before so that can't be the reason. I guess it's to show solidarity for the strike in Hollywood, although in their case this seems more symbolic than anything.

I have a feeling that they just got tired of doing the podcast :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Does anyone know why their podcast has been on a break for 4 months now? Busy schedules and multiple members not being present for the episode has not stopped them before so that can't be the reason. I guess it's to show solidarity for the strike in Hollywood, although in their case this seems more symbolic than anything.

It's the writers strike. They're all writers of Sunny and the podcast is promotion for it (which was not allowed when they were striking).

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It's the writers strike. They're all writers of Sunny and the podcast is promotion for it (which was not allowed when they were striking).
Ah, that makes sense. I would have thought that the podcast is exempt, but I guess it does fall under promotion even though most listeners probably are fans of the show already.

Conor

Hopefully it's not because they're writing more episodes.

decorativeed

As others have said, it's the strike. I had a look today hoping for a new one, as I seemed to recall reading that the Sag-Aftra strike was over, so it's fair to say I'm confused about who is on strike now and who isn't. I'm presuming that they recorded episodes a week or two in advance of them going out, and it could mean a quick resumption of the podcast when the strike is over. Either that, or they'll all be really busy getting back to other delayed projects that they won't be able to do as many as usual?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just finished the latest season. I thought it was great... 4 or 5 of the eps felt like vintage Sunny.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Dead air! When's the podcast, jabronis?

I think the strike ended almost 4 months ago? Piled up projects followed by Christmas and then a few weeks delay between recording and release could be the explanation for why the podcast hasn't returned, but it's strange that they haven't given us an update on Twitter.

Swedish_Plumber

Dead air! When's the podcast, jabronis?

I think the strike ended almost 4 months ago? Piled up projects followed by Christmas and then a few weeks delay between recording and release could be the explanation for why the podcast hasn't returned, but it's strange that they haven't given us an update on Twitter.
I’ve got a bad feeling it won’t come back, which is sad.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I’ve got a bad feeling it won’t come back, which is sad.
I got the same bad feeling. I enjoyed the podcast, but I always got the feeling that the gang didn't enjoy making it. Which is a shame, because they got increasingly better at it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I got the same bad feeling. I enjoyed the podcast, but I always got the feeling that the gang didn't enjoy making it. Which is a shame, because they got increasingly better at it.
It'd be weird if they jacked it in, since they not only got better at it, but toured it internationally. There's very few podcasts I stick with as I tend to get bored of the format eventually, but I always kept up with the Sunny podcast. I hope it is just an extended break.

There was a couple of episodes towards the end where the conversations got quite tetchy, particularly between Glenn and Rob, and perhaps as close as they've come to - inherently - recording an episode in character.

Marwood

My favourite comedy of all time. Love it.

However the last season was rubbish. Low energy, Mac has completely gone as a character and Dee not far behind.

The way they film these shows now as well, can't quite put my finger on it but it looks completely different. Too polished.

The podcast is ace though, really hoping it comes back.

cafecillos

It'd be weird if they jacked it in, since they not only got better at it, but toured it internationally. There's very few podcasts I stick with as I tend to get bored of the format eventually, but I always kept up with the Sunny podcast. I hope it is just an extended break.

There was a couple of episodes towards the end where the conversations got quite tetchy, particularly between Glenn and Rob, and perhaps as close as they've come to - inherently - recording an episode in character.
What happened?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
My favourite comedy of all time. Love it.

However the last season was rubbish. Low energy, Mac has completely gone as a character and Dee not far behind.

The way they film these shows now as well, can't quite put my finger on it but it looks completely different. Too polished.

The podcast is ace though, really hoping it comes back.
Agree with all you said. I think in one of the podcasts Charlie mentioned that he preferred/missed the old look of the show and I'm the same. It matched the tone of the show.

The bad thing is, based on other comments on the podcast, they think they're better writers and the scripts they create are tighter than they used to be, so I'm not sure they feel the show has taken a hit.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What happened?
Nothing really specific or overly dramatic, just a few tetchy conversations where Glenn got defensive and cranky, and Rob looking a bit uncomfortable. I can't remember what the topic of conversation was, as it was so long ago. There was one episode where they spent a great deal of time talking about food and nutrition, which Glenn seems to have some odd views on anyway, it might have been that one. The one where they argued about music got a bit prickly too IIRC.

cafecillos

Nothing really specific or overly dramatic, just a few tetchy conversations where Glenn got defensive and cranky, and Rob looking a bit uncomfortable. I can't remember what the topic of conversation was, as it was so long ago. There was one episode where they spent a great deal of time talking about food and nutrition, which Glenn seems to have some odd views on anyway, it might have been that one. The one where they argued about music got a bit prickly too IIRC.
Cheers!

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
In fairness, Rob was wrong about Ann Wilson and Heart. It was a completely legitimate shout by Glenn

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
In fairness, Rob was wrong about Ann Wilson and Heart. It was a completely legitimate shout by Glenn
Totally agree. Glenn seems more like a music nerd, much moreso than Rob, so that one was a strange conversation. I couldn't tell if Rob really believed what he was saying, or if he just wanted to rile up Glenn.

Marwood

Agree with all you said. I think in one of the podcasts Charlie mentioned that he preferred/missed the old look of the show and I'm the same. It matched the tone of the show.

The bad thing is, based on other comments on the podcast, they think they're better writers and the scripts they create are tighter than they used to be, so I'm not sure they feel the show has taken a hit.
Yeah I noticed that comment from Charlie as well.

I don't know why it makes so much difference to the viewing experience but it just does.

Pickle85

Yeah the music argument and the food one spring to mind. To be honest, I thought Glen was within his rights to get a bit tetchy under the circumstances. Rob seemed to be trying to wind him up - not in a particularly funny or smart way - and he was understandably a bit pissed off.

decorativeed

I didn't think there was genuine argument going on in those episodes, but I am worried it'll never come back. It used to really take the sting out of Mondays back at work knowing there was a new episode to watch.