Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I am on season 8 on netflix. Out of Brooklyn 99, Modern Family and its always sunny, i feel, Its Always Sunny is the best.

The creampie scene is brilliant as well.
Sunny is up there with Seinfeld, Curb, Frasier and prime Simpsons. 30 Rock might be up there as well, some quality writing on that show.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Any London/UK-based Caftards ever got brown out at The Four Quarters's themed IAS St. Patrick's Day weekend events, AKA It's Always Sunny in Peckham?

They serve rum ham and fight milk, hold games of Chardee MacDennis and flip-cup, have singalongs and play the entire series on a loop on their top floor. It's every bit as fun as it sounds.

Prizes for best fancy dress too! My mrs put a little bit more effort in than I did...

Hoping they're back with another event next spring.

stu_1992

@Olly Gunnar Solskjær I'm jealous that you're going through it for the first time. I wish I could do that again. It's just so consistently funny and for so long. I love it. Seeing this thread bumped makes me want to go through it again. For a long time post-college my weekends of going out and getting drunk, and then my friends and I coming back to my place and throw on some random episodes while we smoked or ordered takeaway. Good times. :lol:

LARulz

I mean 4 of them are married to each other and the guys were best friends that created a show.
Yeah but this is after 15 years they still have the same level of enthusiasm it seems. You'd think after some time it becomes business like etc. Glenn Howerton even left cos he said he got bored/didn't enjoy it as much but then realised he missed it.

Maybe I'm not that close it seems to my friends but if I was working day in and day out with my best friends there would be a fair bit more arguments or splitting off at some point. Most top TV shows run it's course because people fell out.

I just like that after this long they are still acting like they hit the jackpot and taking the piss.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sunny is up there with Seinfeld, Curb, Frasier and prime Simpsons. 30 Rock might be up there as well, some quality writing on that show.
True. I think as well part of the reason is because they dont have as many episodes as other shows such as Brooklyn 99.

I have heard as well the office gets bad after season 5. But with the amount of episodes they are doing per season, you just cannot sustain that level of quality.

LARulz

True. I think as well part of the reason is because they dont have as many episodes as other shows such as Brooklyn 99.

I have heard as well the office gets bad after season 5. But with the amount of episodes they are doing per season, you just cannot sustain that level of quality.
Also Sunny can do topics and use language a lot of those network ones can't

NinjaFletch

In fairness, I think the quality has noticeably dipped. There's a few episodes I regularly skip in the new seasons when rewatching (Waiting for Big Mo, Janitor Always Mops twice, Charlie's Home Alone – as an aside, I think Charlie's Home Alone is genuinely atrocious rather than just 'not good', no idea what they were thinking there) and a few more that are just very average 'The Gang Texts', 'The Gang Beats Boggs', 'Clip Show'. But after 14 years it's amazing there's still as many hits as there are.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Any London/UK-based Caftards ever got brown out at The Four Quarters's themed IAS St. Patrick's Day weekend events, AKA It's Always Sunny in Peckham?

They serve rum ham and fight milk, hold games of Chardee MacDennis and flip-cup, have singalongs and play the entire series on a loop on their top floor. It's every bit as fun as it sounds.

Prizes for best fancy dress too! My mrs put a little bit more effort in than I did...

Hoping they're back with another event next spring.
Chardee MacDennis!

Think I'd rather watch than play!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
In fairness, I think the quality has noticeably dipped. There's a few episodes I regularly skip in the new seasons when rewatching (Waiting for Big Mo, Janitor Always Mops twice, Charlie's Home Alone – as an aside, I think Charlie's Home Alone is genuinely atrocious rather than just 'not good', no idea what they were thinking there) and a few more that are just very average 'The Gang Texts', 'The Gang Beats Boggs', 'Clip Show'. But after 14 years it's amazing there's still as many hits as there are.
Get out.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
When does it start to drop? I am on season 8.

OleBoiii

IASIP is often given credit for how everyone in the main cast is funny, and rightly so. There's no "voice of reason". They are all hilariously messed up.

I also think the recurring side characters are amazing. The McPoyle brothers never fail to make me laugh. The lawyer is hilarious. Cricket is a legend. Charlie's creepy uncle and his "hand complex" is also great. I had to pause the episode when this happened:

NinjaFletch

Cheers. They all seem to go on too long and just burn out i feel.

Even shows like Dexter went on far too long.
There's still some really good quality episodes and, on the whole, still one of the best comedies being made so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. It's more a reflection of how absurdly high the bar was set than anything else.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
IASIP is often given credit for how everyone in the main cast is funny, and rightly so. There's no "voice of reason". They are all hilariously messed up.

I also think the recurring side characters are amazing. The McPoyle brothers never fail to make me laugh. The lawyer is hilarious. Cricket is a legend. Charlie's creepy uncle and his "hand complex" is also great. I had to pause the episode when this happened:

Uncle Jack is great :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never really got the whole Sunny in Philadelphia starts dropping off in quality thing - I only felt like I didnt enjoy one episode and that was some episode about art.

Every other episode even if it wasnt as perfect as season 4 was hardly a waste of time and was still like getting a dose of something that nobody elses tv show could give.

Apparently covid stopped another season from being shot so I'm really hoping the next season is coming out.

I really dont see any reason for this to stop too soon either because it's not got much of a story line. They just literally do shit and it's always been like that and you watch it for their action and their voice lines.

My favourite comedy of all time.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sorry, the 'women's reboot' ep rather than the original one.
Ah, okay. The original has some of the best Charlie lines ever:

‘Charlie, we‘re not on a wide body DC 10 for nothing.’ “Right, we bought tickets.“
‘...No, we chose a wide body DC 10 on purpose.’ ”To get up into the sky.”

’Alright Charlie, you gotta go at least 3 for 10...’ “I got all the numbers.“
’I’m gonna put a little mustard on this one, are you ready?’ “Throw me the hotdog baby.“

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Chardee MacDennis!

Think I'd rather watch than play!
Yeah we weren't interested in playing at the bar, but they were selling copies of the game for a fiver so we bought one and played it at home. It turned into carnage within 30 minutes and I don't recall much after that.

Oldyella

I never really got the whole Sunny in Philadelphia starts dropping off in quality thing - I only felt like I didnt enjoy one episode and that was some episode about art.

Every other episode even if it wasnt as perfect as season 4 was hardly a waste of time and was still like getting a dose of something that nobody elses tv show could give.

Apparently covid stopped another season from being shot so I'm really hoping the next season is coming out.

I really dont see any reason for this to stop too soon either because it's not got much of a story line. They just literally do shit and it's always been like that and you watch it for their action and their voice lines.

My favourite comedy of all time.
I'm the same as you. Yes there is the occasional episode that's a bit of a miss, but on the whole it's still at a really high standard, shockingly so given how long it's gone. I do wonder what we will see when they are next able to film. With the lethal weapon episodes being pulled, wonder if they will be a bit more cautious

Bebestation

I'm the same as you. Yes there is the occasional episode that's a bit of a miss, but on the whole it's still at a really high standard, shockingly so given how long it's gone. I do wonder what we will see when they are next able to film. With the lethal weapon episodes being pulled, wonder if they will be a bit more cautious
What's the lethal weapon episodes pulled about? Why was it pulled? You talking about sunny making episodes about lethal weapon or something else?

The one thing I worry about is if Covid has maybe broken a momentum the show has had? I've seen bands make amazing music just to take a break for a year and a half and the music is nowhere near the same. Sure TV shows are not like that and these guys took breaks after every season - but when it's not planned I really hope nothing too much ends up changing after this one.

It's why I hope the whole "we like working together, working for the show" stuff they talk as the core of the show is really what makes the TV show special so we can watch it for a few more seasons without a loss of momentum.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What's the lethal weapon episodes pulled about? Why was it pulled? You talking about sunny making episodes about lethal weapon or something else?

The one thing I worry about is if Covid has maybe broken a momentum the show has had? I've seen bands make amazing music just to take a break for a year and a half and the music is nowhere near the same. Sure TV shows are not like that and these guys took breaks after every season - but when it's not planned I really hope nothing too much ends up changing after this one.

It's why I hope the whole "we like working together, working for the show" stuff they talk as the core of the show is really what makes the TV show special so we can watch it for a few more seasons without a loss of momentum.
Blackface. Even though technically they get mocked for using it and it's clear them doing it is wrong,

Bebestation

Blackface. Even though technically they get mocked for using it and it's clear them doing it is wrong,
Oh okay! I cant remember if I've seen them (I have poor memory) if they got taken down by netflix I maybe have 2 more episodes to watch!

Oldyella

Oh okay! I cant remember if I've seen them (I have poor memory) if they got taken down by netflix I maybe have 2 more episodes to watch!
Both great episodes too imo. And its obvious in them that black face is ridiculous, but I guess Netflix etc were very nervous at the time.

Smores

Yeah we weren't interested in playing at the bar, but they were selling copies of the game for a fiver so we bought one and played it at home. It turned into carnage within 30 minutes and I don't recall much after that.
There's actually an app of it that i have on my tablet. Not tried it yet but when i had a look it would be a sick bucket type of night :lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Sunny as more episodes than Brooklyn 99.

You're right about sustaining the level of quality. Office and Modern Family both had that problem. Cheers as well.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Sounds like you played it to the letter. Hopefully you woke up surrounded by broken toy parts? haha

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
There's actually an app of it that i have on my tablet. Not tried it yet but when i had a look it would be a sick bucket type of night :lol:
I downloaded that too, never played a proper game with it though!
Sounds like you played it to the letter. Hopefully you woke up surrounded by broken toy parts? haha
I can't remember what we used as substitute figurines for the winner to trample, but I do recall walking into the living room the next day and there being grapes everywhere.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Brilliant show. Think I'll rewatch some of the later seasons over Christmas.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I can't remember what we used as substitute figurines for the winner to trample, but I do recall walking into the living room the next day and there being grapes everywhere.
The italics makes it sound like they were up your butt