It's looking like we're not going to sign a single undisputed Starting 11 player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Squad is now even more bloated than it was before. An absolute disaster of a transfer window.
Bloated? Its only bloated at CB and DM, with too many mediocre options but no outright starter. FB is fine. We have 4 options to rotate for our front 3, with James/Lingard being 5th and 6th for some cups. The rest in that attacking group are useless and won't be used.

The problem with this window is how we dealt with it, not so much who we actually signed. Its a disaster for squad management, morale, appearance, etc. But in pure additions, its alright all things considered.

Maureen-yo

Telles is a starter. No question he's better than Shaw. He's one of the best attacking leftbacks in the world. It would be idiotic not to start to him.
I'm not saying you're wrong but if he was one of the best LBS in the world why have we had a free run at him and got him relatively cheap.

Tango80

The first 11 is actually quite strong so I'm not mega fussed about that. It's the depth up front that was the issue, and we had no backup for Bruno, who was overused because we had no alternative. Now we do in Donny, and the other three should give a bit of depth. Inexperienced yes, but there's 2 kids and one experienced guy there, so it's quite balanced.

Maureen-yo

I'm torn on the two kids we've bought for the wing. I've been banging the drum for years when it comes to buying a RW and I'm glad we are investing in youth...

But, I'm uncomfortable that our most suitable options on the right (including Greenwood) have an average age of 19. It seems like a huge amount of pressure on them when you consider the fact we haven't signed a Sancho/Dembele or even a Willian. It feels like an older player to help ease the burden is still needed.
You don't need an older player to ease burden, if they're good enough then they are good enough. Plenty of young players deal with pressure just fine.
Everyone had their hearts set on Sancho but he's not long turned 20, would he have needed an older player also?

It's a terrible window. We've rushed a few signings we don't particularly need through at the very last minute to try and placate fans, long after we've lost all the optimism we got from the end of last season. All the major problem areas remain untouched. This is Mourinho's final season all over again. Back the manager, or sack him. Not this.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I'm actually not that disappointed with this window. It would have been nice to get Sancho, but we got some good players in. Telles, VDB and Cavani are all good acquisitions. They may not go straight in to the first 11 (although I think Telles will), but they will definitely give us options this season. Last season I felt out first 11 could match anyone when on form. The issue was depth. We couldn't rotate players because we didn't have good alternatives. Now we have some good players to rotate and bring on to change a game.

Having said that, the right wing is still a concern. Maybe Diallo in January will hit the ground running?

Delano

You don't need an older player to ease burden, if they're good enough then they are good enough. Plenty of young players deal with pressure just fine.
Everyone had their hearts set on Sancho but he's not long turned 20, would he have needed an older player also?
There's levels though isn't there. Sancho is a fully fledged international with his career propelled in Germany.

We've signed one lad who has played 3 games in the first team at Atlanta and one from South America who have been signed for a position we've been crying out for... Seems like a lot of pressure for them. I hope they have the mentality to stand up to the task.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bloated? Its only bloated at CB and DM, with too many mediocre options but no outright starter. FB is fine. We have 4 options to rotate for our front 3, with James/Lingard being 5th and 6th for some cups. The rest in that attacking group are useless and won't be used.

The problem with this window is how we dealt with it, not so much who we actually signed. Its a disaster for squad management, morale, appearance, etc. But in pure additions, its alright all things considered.
We are currently facing being unable to register four senior players.

oreon

The first 11 is actually quite strong so I'm not mega fussed about that. It's the depth up front that was the issue, and we had no backup for Bruno, who was overused because we had no alternative. Now we do in Donny, and the other three should give a bit of depth. Inexperienced yes, but there's 2 kids and one experienced guy there, so it's quite balanced.
I agree. It been a disappointing transfer season but the overreaction here is too much. You'd think UTD were fielding a relegation team. This team isn't good enough to challenge for a trophy but it's still talented. They should make top 4, get past the group stages and make a decent run in the cup trophies.
If you look at the squads, only Liverpool & City have better squads. You can say Chelsea. But every team apart from the top 2 has weakness. Who is Arsenal's backup striker ? They have less depth upfront than we do.
We can't be crying transfers transfers every time there is a loss. The players need to start being held accountable for bad performances. It isn't Woodward's fault that Maguire and Lindelöf keep on making mistakes. It isn't Woodward fault that Pogba and Fernandes keep on misplacing passes. The team needs to start playing better.
There needs to be perspective. Clearly the club has stagnated as just a top 4 team and nothing more. Clearly there is money wasted on bad signings and wages. This is the board's fault. But the poor performances we have seen from the players to start the season, is on the players. There is no focus at all. No one, not even Fernandes has started this season well. Ole needs to start calling them out publicly if this continues or he'll be out of a job. I don't expect to win league or CL but we should see better than what we have to start the season.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Nah, Telles will start against a lot of more defensive clubs and Cavani will absolutely muscle his way into the first XI.

He'll have a free run up top first 3 games, and is far more resilient than fair-weather Martial.

Maureen-yo

There's levels though isn't there. Sancho is a fully fledged international with his career propelled in Germany.

We've signed one lad who has played 3 games in the first team at Atlanta and one from South America who have been signed for a position we've been crying out for... Seems like a lot of pressure for them. I hope they have the mentality to stand up to the task.
Apologies I was basing my response purely on your comment regarding age.
Players like Sancho, Foden, Mount, Greenwood only have their status because they were given a chance to prove themselves, let's hope these youngsters are given and do the same.
I'm all for building a strong, young team and not just wanting instant success but only if it's because there is a vision and not because it's the cheap option.

hobbers

Telles is without a doubt a starter and a massive upgrade on Shaw. Probably the best we could do this summer in that one aspect given Reguilon's desire to go back to Madrid and not wanting to be cucked by buyback clauses.

But other than that, yeh it's a shambles.

Maureen-yo

Same could be asked about Thiago no?
Yes and no, cheap because he only wanted to play for Klopp and the reigning champions of England, wanted a new challenge etc there was a lot of interest in him but it was made clear that there was only one club he'd leave for.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah we should get more out. Shouldn't stop us from bringing in players because we have too much dead wood. Still time in the domestic window to get a few out on loans or whatever. I'm glad that the following group being here didn't stop us from bringing others in at least, as that's a terrible way to look at it and won't ever improve us considering the speed at which we offload players:
  • Grant
  • Romero
  • Rojo
  • Jones
  • Ighalo
Even Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah, Lingard, Mata won't have much of a role but maybe a couple of them can have a useful squad role. But yeah, just because we have Ighalo on loan til January doesn't mean we shouldn't have gotten Cavani on loan. It's still a huge upgrade, especially considering Ighalo was not going to be useful in a single game.

MrSingh2002

Telles is a starter for sure.

The 2nd biggest piss take from Woodward was not signing in the two priority areas which were starting 11 players for Centre Back and Right Wing.

The biggest pisstake from Woodward was giving Cavani Sancho's number 7.

Motherfecker.

lex talionis

The board can't argue that it did everything within its power to strengthen the squad to the point where we can at least improve on our third place finish last season. Oh well, another season wasted.

Shark

@NotShark
The board can't argue that it did everything within its power to strengthen the squad to the point where we can at least improve on our third place finish last season. Oh well, another season wasted.
I'm almost certain we'll waste another five to six seasons before we even begin to get our act together, never mind challenge for the title. Very dark times ahead.

meamth

I'm not saying you're wrong but if he was one of the best LBS in the world why have we had a free run at him and got him relatively cheap.
Bayern has that position sorted.
Real Madrid has that position sorted.
City cannot offload their expensive LBs.
Liverpool has that position sorted.
Arsenal is focussing on other areas of their 11.
Tottenham opted for Reguillon.
Chelsea opted for Chillwell.
Barcelona has no money.
Atletico has that position sorted.

Basically we're the only one major club that can offer him the next step up.

Other lesser clubs than us would be wasting their time competing with us for his signature.

Alex is looking for the step up, we're the only one who can offer him that.

lex talionis

I'm almost certain we'll waste another five to six seasons before we even begin to get our act together, never mind challenge for the title. Very dark times ahead.
I’ve only come to this realization in the last month at we have a long winter of 2-3 more seasons, and probably more like 5-6 as you say, before we get our footballing act together. Really depressing.

kerryman

DvB has been a top player in a great Ajax side for several seasons and has performed consistently well, if we have any sense he'll replace Pogba who is mostly average to poor when he plays. DvB also seems a much more intelligent footballer.
Pogba has been outperformed by many 'lesser' midfielders in bottom half teams on a regular basis. Turning in a great performance once in every 10 games or so and being a liability and extremely poor in every other game does not make you world class. We played a lot of our best football last season while he was out injured. He is not needed.

steve.crowford

So when we go into matches this season how is it looking, do we look likely to not play Greenwood and start say Pellistri? Or we do start Greenwood? I am confused.
Pellistri and Traore not for the first team. If Cavani scores while Martial is in disqualification, then the starting three woluld be looked as LW-Martial, ST-Cavani, RW-Rashford

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We have 26 players who should be registered excluding Grant. Greenwood and Williams are U21 players. So we have to sell one player or leave one player.

Red_Orchestra

Can't believe bloody Arsenal went out and got Partey for £45m. Wtf, did I just read that right?

Now was the time for us to get either Partey, Zakaria or Koopmeiners.

I don't understand why we got another b2b midfielder in vdb?

Sea-Cow

With the quality of our team, this seems like a crazy flaw in our transfer 'strategy'. We should be signing players to come straight into the First 11 and bench the current option.

Teams like Liverpool can afford to sign backups. Teams who are trying to close the gap like Us, Arsenal, Chelsea etc need to be signing upgrades.

VDB - Not a starter
Cavani - Not a starter
Telles - Likely a rotation option with Shaw, unless we switch to a back 3.
Traore - Prospect
Pellistiri - Prospect

Gabriel - Starter
Partey - Starter
Willian - Seems to be a Starter, but lets say Rotation

Werner - Starter
Havertz - Starter
Ziyech - Starter
Chilwell - Starter
Mendy - Starter
Silva - Rotation

I could go on but it would end up being a long list. Everton have basically signed only instant starters, so have Leicester, Spurs with the exception of Vinicius...even Villa.

We have to be the only competing team signing backup or rotation options to play behind our already not good enough starting 11.
I am not sure how anyone can have watched these first 3 games and think that Cavani doesn't have a decent chance at being a starter for our number 9. Martial has been completely invisible, except for diving for a pen and getting sent off for a tickle.

Leethal

Pellistri and Traore not for the first team. If Cavani scores while Martial is in disqualification, then the starting three woluld be looked as LW-Martial, ST-Cavani, RW-Rashford
Cavani isn't starting any time soon. He hasn't played football for 7 months so is nowhere near match fit, and prior to that, was playing in the Uber eats league. He's not even close to being ready for premier league football. And if he is, he won't be anywhere near the standard required. We might see him after a month, as a bit part player. If we're lucky. fecking terrible signing.

GazTheLegend

Telles will start.
Cavani will start.
The other two, maybe not. But I think you're wrong: Telles has been bought to replace Luke Shaw, not Brandon Williams.

savais

I agree. It been a disappointing transfer season but the overreaction here is too much. You'd think UTD were fielding a relegation team. This team isn't good enough to challenge for a trophy but it's still talented. They should make top 4, get past the group stages and make a decent run in the cup trophies.
If you look at the squads, only Liverpool & City have better squads. You can say Chelsea. But every team apart from the top 2 has weakness. Who is Arsenal's backup striker ? They have less depth upfront than we do.
We can't be crying transfers transfers every time there is a loss. The players need to start being held accountable for bad performances. It isn't Woodward's fault that Maguire and Lindelöf keep on making mistakes. It isn't Woodward fault that Pogba and Fernandes keep on misplacing passes. The team needs to start playing better.
There needs to be perspective. Clearly the club has stagnated as just a top 4 team and nothing more. Clearly there is money wasted on bad signings and wages. This is the board's fault. But the poor performances we have seen from the players to start the season, is on the players. There is no focus at all. No one, not even Fernandes has started this season well. Ole needs to start calling them out publicly if this continues or he'll be out of a job. I don't expect to win league or CL but we should see better than what we have to start the season.
Excellent post. Agree with all of it.

savais

DvB has been a top player in a great Ajax side for several seasons and has performed consistently well, if we have any sense he'll replace Pogba who is mostly average to poor when he plays. DvB also seems a much more intelligent footballer.
Pogba has been outperformed by many 'lesser' midfielders in bottom half teams on a regular basis. Turning in a great performance once in every 10 games or so and being a liability and extremely poor in every other game does not make you world class. We played a lot of our best football last season while he was out injured. He is not needed.
Pogba has all the tools to be the best midfielder in the world. Unfortunately, I don't think he will ever realize his full potential. As you mentioned, he turns out one very good performance and then several average performances, and is routinely outperformed in matches against so-called weaker teams. I'd start VDB over him and let Pogba either prove he deserves a starting spot by actually performing consistently or sell him next summer. Just don't renew the contract for mega money if he doesn't perform this season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Pogba has all the tools to be the best midfielder in the world. Unfortunately, I don't think he will ever realize his full potential. As you mentioned, he turns out one very good performance and then several average performances, and is routinely outperformed in matches against so-called weaker teams. I'd start VDB over him and let Pogba either prove he deserves a starting spot by actually performing consistently or sell him next summer. Just don't renew the contract for mega money if he doesn't perform this season.
This sentence must be the most used sentence in relation to Pogba. There's no use of talent and potential if there is zero consistency, zero urge to be better and be a show pony most of the time. I have had enough tbh. Love to be proven wrong but can't see him turn it around.

Highfather_24

The squad tried their best, overachieved, and finished 3rd last season. After that the players in our team expected major strengthening, and atleast couple of players coming straight into the first XI.

When they see other clubs strengthening heavily, and our club didnt, obviously they are demotivated now. This Sancho saga will have a huge morale blow for the squad.

cheeky_backheel

Telles will start.
Cavani will start.
The other two, maybe not. But I think you're wrong: Telles has been bought to replace Luke Shaw, not Brandon Williams.
Telles is almost 28 and just got his first NT cap last year and has been playing for Porto. He is simply not that good.

If Telles is starting, then the quality of our starting XI has regressed further.

steve.crowford

Cavani isn't starting any time soon. He hasn't played football for 7 months so is nowhere near match fit, and prior to that, was playing in the Uber eats league. He's not even close to being ready for premier league football. And if he is, he won't be anywhere near the standard required. We might see him after a month, as a bit part player. If we're lucky. fecking terrible signing.
Yeah if really 7 months so we are in the ass, calendar very hard in next games. Next 2-3 games James-Rashford-Greenwood, not look successful dream team trio) Hope we change tactic to 3-5-2.

oz insomniac

What could go wrong , being controlled by shopping centre owners who leveraged into the club without having any cash of their own involved and no khowledge of soccer or the EPL, then to ensure the clusterf**k, give absolute control to muppets who prefer rugby union over football to repay them for organising the buyout.

To compound the issue, the patriarch of the family who built their empire passes away, leaving his sons who know next to nothing in charge. How their method of takeover was approved by the EPL is still mystifying to say the least.

We lurched into the season with no recognisable plan to actually strengthen the team , but did employ someone to send out media messages in an attempt to show Woody and his Uni Mates in a good light, that worked well .

Until the club hierarchy is restructured into a modern unit with strong football characters who understand the requirements to build resolve, strong identity , culture and playing style, guess what “ more of the same , nothing will change”. Welcome to Woody World everyone.

nainaisson

Nah, Telles will start against a lot of more defensive clubs and Cavani will absolutely muscle his way into the first XI.

He'll have a free run up top first 3 games, and is far more resilient than fair-weather Martial.
I'm surprised this is the first comment I've read that doesn't treat Cavani like he's just some bum we picked up on the freeway. The runs Cavani makes and the work he does off the ball have always been exceptional. I'd say his finishing these days isn't as good as an in form Martial's, but Martial has been out of form since the beginning of the season and there's no guarantee he'll be back to his best any time soon.