It's not the end of the world if we signed nobody else this summer

pacifictheme

It might be a blessing in disguise if the youngsters turn out to be great. That's a big IF though.
There is no way a club of uniteds size should be relying on 18 years olds. People seem to think we're due another co92, but they came into a team who should have won the double the year before. They were filling the gaps around a brilliant spine of a team.

Our current team is a mess and throwing the kids at it will only hurt united and them. We should be getting fernandes and another midfielder, getting rid of the dead wood like sanchez and lingard and using gomes and greenwood off the bench to give them experience, not expecting them to be ready for the first team now. Chong is a million miles away at thr moment.

Zlatattack

Yep.

We can always bleat on about next year like Liverpool fans, or the 4th place Trophy like Arsenal and Spurs fans.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
There is no way a club of uniteds size should be relying on 18 years olds. People seem to think we're due another co92
There won't ever be another one, amazing as it was it was'nt anything other than a complete freak so holding onto that dream is a waste of energy.

I'm all for giving the youngsters a chance and I have high hopes that Greenwood will become a killer striker for us but if we are serious about climbing the table we need more quality in midfield.

Treble

There is no way a club of uniteds size should be relying on 18 years olds. People seem to think we're due another co92, but they came into a team who should have won the double the year before. They were filling the gaps around a brilliant spine of a team.

Our current team is a mess and throwing the kids at it will only hurt united and them. We should be getting fernandes and another midfielder, getting rid of the dead wood like sanchez and lingard and using gomes and greenwood off the bench to give them experience, not expecting them to be ready for the first team now. Chong is a million miles away at thr moment.
My thoughts as well. But then again it is Ole who sees the youngsters in training everyday and he should know better. Hope he is realistic enough and not over optimistic.

Lynty

Goodbye de gea, goodbye pogba.
Oh, Pogba is going regardless.

De Gea's contract has tied him to us and if he wants to go, we can demand a respectable transfer fee.

Our squad now has a good foundation to build from.

fps

I am pleased with the players who have been signed, which is good progress on several recent windows. I can see two first-teamers with the quality to be first-teamers, and a promising winger.

I am not pleased with the team's lack of strengthening in midfield. A first-team central midfielder, or even a young one with the physical qualities to compete right now and attitude and technique to become a first-team commander, should have been a priority, because Fred, Pereira and Matic are not good enough, and McTominay we will see but it currently a work-in-progress, leaving Pogba carrying the entire midfield. I wonder if Ole has seen anything in Fred this summer to suggest he will be better, I presume the idea will be two hard-working defensive midfielders - 2 of Fred, Matic and McTominay - with Pogba with more license to attack. That's not a good midfield and is very short if there are injuries.

tony54

I'm sorry but playing Matic is like playing with 10 men. Couple that with Fellaine and Herrera missing means we are going to continue with us getting molested in midfield.
I would have thought some existing younger player like Dalot or Tuanzebe could fullfil
Matic role better. FFS

Last edited:

Lee565

Oh, Pogba is going regardless.

De Gea's contract has tied him to us and if he wants to go, we can demand a respectable transfer fee.

Our squad now has a good foundation to build from.
If pogba and de gea go then what foundation is there left to build from, Maguire..... that's it basically, the rest are either average deadwood or a load of inconsistent youngsters have no real leadership qualities or experience of challenging for top honours that have been pushed as a first team player by default because we have so many bang average senior players.

meninred

We have done the minimum - sort out the defence.
As for midfield and striker we may need one or two transfer windows and then the title.i still believe we are short of four players or so.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If we don't sign anyone, then our midfield will be weaker and our attack is about to get weaker.

I don't understand how anyone can be fine with this, hell even if we sign one person (which would be the maximum at this point you feel) then we still have one of the above problems.

This was a window where we had to improve every area of our side, not just our defense... but for areas to actually get weaker... that's poor.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If we don't sign anyone, then our midfield will be weaker and our attack is about to get weaker.

I don't understand how anyone can be fine with this, hell even if we sign one person (which would be the maximum at this point you feel) then we still have one of the above problems.

This was a window where we had to improve every area of our side, not just our defense... but for areas to actually get weaker... that's poor.
Midfield is the main area of weakness, I suppose the hope is that Fred can step up after 1 year of acclimatisation to the PL

Attack Im not that worried about because I think Greenwood and Gomes are ready to play a part

red4ever 79

Defence ok - still need to shift two of Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, Jones
Midfield - Fellaini and Herrera gone - None come in. McTominnay, Static, Fred, Andrea, Pogba
Attack - Lukaku going - Martial, Rashy, Linzy, Maty, Sanchez

That's just depressing.

MadMike

Defence ok - still need to shift two of Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, Jones
Midfield - Fellaini and Herrera gone - None come in. McTominnay, Static, Fred, Andrea, Pogba
Attack - Lukaku going - Martial, Rashy, Linzy, Maty, Sanchez

That's just depressing.
Dan James is not in your list of midfielders or attackers. Also Gomes and Greenwood look likely to feature more this season. For a mobile attack I reckon that's a lot of depth and quality. If anything I found Mata surplus and his renewal unnecessary.

For me, we still need 1 quality CM given the decline of Matic and Fred's failure to adapt. That's the biggest priority.

Kag

It isn’t. But it marks a very poor window.

Our most consistent actual central midfielder (Herrera) has left the club and we are an injury to Pogba away from having a midfield with zero creativity outside of an 18 year old Gomes. I was absolutely convinced that we’d bring in another creative midfielder/attacker this summer and the fact it appears that we won’t is nothing sort of farcical.

I’m less concerned about the attacking options - even if Lukaku pisses off - as I think Rashford, Martial, Sanchez and Greenwood are good options that can do well for us.

Ultimately, though, Ole quite clearly wanted a midfielder and a versatile attacker and that hasn’t been provided. Unlike last summer where Mourinho was pursuing half-witted geriatrics, Ole’s model appears to be a sensible one. If we do poorly this season then all Ole has to do is point towards the board. He knows where the criticism is going to be directed.

LVGWay

It is. The OP is a Glazer puppet. You’re literally saying you’re proud of the club not signing a world class player like Dybala?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Midfield is the main area of weakness, I suppose the hope is that Fred can step up after 1 year of acclimatisation to the PL

Attack Im not that worried about because I think Greenwood and Gomes are ready to play a part
This is the problem... we're basically relying/hoping on everyone in our midfield/attack to be better/more consistent... or our youngsters to make a huge step-up to first team football.

There isn't one midfielder/attacker where you can say that where they are now is good enough... apart from maybe McT, but even with him you'd hope he improves 'cos he's young and he should do in theory.

red4ever 79

Dan James is not in your list of midfielders or attackers. Also Gomes and Greenwood look likely to feature more this season. For a mobile attack I reckon that's a lot of depth and quality. If anything I found Mata surplus and his renewal unnecessary.

For me, we still need 1 quality CM given the decline of Matic and Fred's failure to adapt. That's the biggest priority.
I purposely left Greenwood and Gomes out as I feel it's unfair to rely on a 17 year old and an 18 year old to be relied upon.
I forgot about Dan James - apologies.

Smores

I think we'll get top4

And if we don't, oh well, we aren't a top4 team anymore. This project is longterm and our activity in the transfer market reflects that.
It doesn't at all, we've spent heavily on two key positions just because they're young doesn't mean we're not expecting immediate pay back from them.

Likewise the other targets we're looking at getting in are big name players that's not an indication of delayed returns.

Just because we've fecked up and getting less signings than we'd like doesn't mean we didn't try.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is the problem... we're basically relying/hoping on everyone in our midfield/attack to be better/more consistent... or our youngsters to make a huge step-up to first team football.

There isn't one midfielder/attacker where you can say that where they are now is good enough... apart from maybe McT, but even with him you'd hope he improves 'cos he's young and he should do in theory.
I dont think its a huge ask for them to be better than last season, its a pretty low bar after all and Im ready to put some faith in the kids (Greenwood and Gomes in particular)

Rashford Im confident to have his best goalscoring season ever - the rest have a lot to prove but preseason has felt a lot more positive than this tie last year

Im confident for Top4 and then we see from there

Denis' cuff

We won’t sign anyone else.

Can’t afford it until we sell Lukaku in a week or so.

$60m~ net spent.

lysglimt

Scout
I purposely left Greenwood and Gomes out as I feel it's unfair to rely on a 17 year old and an 18 year old to be relied upon.
I forgot about Dan James - apologies.
The dilemma is - if we don't use Chong, Gomes, Garner and Greenwood - we will lose them. And after seeing Greenwood and Garner last season - and Gomes over several seasons (not to mention his insane game yesterday) - the 3G's are NOT players I want to lose. I am convinced (about as convinced as I was about AWB) - that they will be regulars at United in 2-3 seasons.

So I read about people thinking and hoping OGS will be gone by january - well, I am willing to accept one poor season if it means giving these guys a lot of gametime. Because I know that we will have a cracking team in 2 years if we let our youngsters develop.

cyberman

Not too fussed about midfield when wehave Gomes coming through to be honest.
I'd have liked another wide man but we're fighting for third even with a perfect window so no harm in thinking long term with evaluating players hunger to play for us.

Shark

@NotShark
We’re going into the season with a slightly better defense, but largely the exact same players that have been failing miserable for years now. How on earth is this a positive?

red4ever 79

The dilemma is - if we don't use Chong, Gomes, Garner and Greenwood - we will lose them. And after seeing Greenwood and Garner last season - and Gomes over several seasons (not to mention his insane game yesterday) - the 3G's are NOT players I want to lose. I am convinced (about as convinced as I was about AWB) - that they will be regulars at United in 2-3 seasons.

So I read about people thinking and hoping OGS will be gone by january - well, I am willing to accept one poor season if it means giving these guys a lot of gametime. Because I know that we will have a cracking team in 2 years if we let our youngsters develop.
Please dont mis understand me. I would like to see Gomes, and Greenwood more regularly. I am a big fan of them and they have arguably been better than the seniors on the tour. I think they need to be integrated into the first team but I dont think it would be fair to place too much expectation on them.

However I think you and I will be dissappointed because I can see Ole going for tired and trusted players. Mata, Lingard and rely on these called senior pros who have shown time and time again they are not good enough

cyberman

We won’t sign anyone else.

Can’t afford it until we sell Lukaku in a week or so.

$60m~ net spent.
Our net spend will be low over the next few summers as we sell overpriced deadwood.
Cant complain about investment as if Lukaku himself wasn't bought for 90m.
Its why net spend is bullshit

manunited1919

The only hope for us is that Ole has the balls to actually give starts to Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and Axel, from the beginning of the season too. Otherwise get ready for another season of Rashcester Lingarted, and competing for a Europa League spot.

Justin Bieber

It's not the end of the world but it is the end of the season before it even begins.

Bar Pogba we have a bottom six midfield never mind top six and we have no forwards who guarantee 20 goals when our top 4 rivals have multiple.

It's gonna be rough battling Chelsea, Leicester, Wolves and Everton for Thursday night football qualification.

And I'm still going to watch every single game like an idiot. :)

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Our biggest weaknesses was at RB and CB - both addressed
That's how I see it. We are much improved with just those two. One, we now have a strong right side both in defense and in attack. For a number of year, teams wanted to attack our right side because that was our weakest defense, and we have not attacked down our right consistently because we have been so week. AWB changes all that which makes our attack much more difficult to defend. Defending teams can't cheat and not worry about our right. I also think James is going to be in the first team and that makes our right even more dangerous.

Like others, though, I'm worried that Martial and Rashford will just be average in production which will hurt our chances of getting in the top 4. I also worry we are going to rely too much on Matic and Mata. I hope McT can solidify his first team status as the main DM quickly.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Some of you needs a BIG wake up call to realize what’s on stake!!

We can’t finish outside top four two years in a row without serious consequences.

#1 Our first and direct loss will be losing parts of the Adidas deal and we will be without CL incomes.

#2 Our broadcasting revenue will decrease as a consequence

#3 In a long term perspective our commercial revenue will suffer because of less attraction

#4 It will be harder and cost more the recruit top talents and world class players

We simply can’t afford another underwhelming season with bad results. We’re one season away from being a tier three club and when we’re at that level the way up is far longer then it’s today.

It looks like the right call to stay away from all ultra expensive superstars but another season without results will in the long run probably cost more. I rather take a gamble on a Dybala type of player then going into this season without Lukaku and with Juan Mata as our only creative player except Pogba.

Cashmore8

I actually have no interest whatsoever with the club this season, its like they spat in our face and are laughing about it. The signings we have made only scratched the surface, we got a long way to go!!! Nobody should be happy with this shyte show of a club. Every year we seem to go backwards. Let people go without replacements, same story every year and we just let it happen. Now players prefer teams that would never of got a look in before, thats how far we have fallen. The clubs a joke and its only going to get worse

Roboc7

Some of you needs a BIG wake up call to realize what’s on stake!!

We can’t finish outside top four two years in a row without serious consequences.

#1 Our first and direct loss will be losing parts of the Adidas deal and we will be without CL incomes.

#2 Our broadcasting revenue will decrease as a consequence

#3 In a long term perspective our commercial revenue will suffer because of less attraction

#4 It will be harder and cost more the recruit top talents and world class players

We simply can’t afford another underwhelming season with bad results. We’re one season away from being a tier three club and when we’re at that level the way up is far longer then it’s today.

It looks like the right call to stay away from all ultra expensive superstars but another season without results will in the long run probably cost more. I rather take a gamble on a Dybala type of player then going into this season without Lukaku and with Juan Mata as our only creative player except Pogba.
This is the road we’re going down now though, this isn’t a football club and not being run like one. Even Arsenal will be streets ahead of us soon, in what should have been a pivotal summer we’re looking at a modest net spend and maybe a last minute panic.

On and off the pitch we can only trade off the success under SAF for so long, we’re now at the point where we’ve used any remaining credit and fans, players and sponsors will start to see us for what we are.

This is a terrible transfer window not just because it makes it tough to make top four but because it just delays the rebuild. Not enough players bought or sold they’ll be no one to buy in January and a repeat of the same next summer.