It's not the end of the world if we signed nobody else this summer

Infestissumam

I'll be fine if there's one more signing ... Matic is done, so we definitely need a CM. I'd be extremely happy with someone like Longstaff.

Eddy_JukeZ

It is sad, but in a way its a necessary evil. Ole needs to not be under immense pressure, its not worked for our last 3 managers. I feel thats what the club needs, us all to get on board with the rebuild without the expectation of instant success.
Instant success wasn't/isn't needed.

Progression was needed. Progression towards success. A system/structure in place that can be built upon leading to something great. That's why Moyes, LVG and Mourinho all got fired. They all kept regressing.

If Ole doesn't show that, he should be shown the door.

Castia

Lets see if you're saying the same in November when we're sitting 6th in the league.

We are a Pogba injury away from having nothing in midfield. The quality in midfield is scary, we're counting on Andreas, Fred and a past it Matic? McTominay is showing promise but again he's far from top class.

We have no striker (presuming Lukaku leaves). Rashford and Martial are decent players but they're not prolific #9's, going into the season counting on these 2 will be Ole's gravest mistake. Martial will be sulking after a few loses and lose interest whilst Rashford doesn't have the composure over a 50 game season to be a consistent goalscorer and will be pushed out wide as usual.

We have no right sided winger or capable number 10 either. We'll be forced to play Mata and Lingard who have shown time after time to be of low quality (Mata should have been released, he spends most of the time on the wing and has the pace of a turtle).

I get we have a few interesting youth players coming through in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong and I hope if we don't sign anybody else they get the chance but I doubt it. It will be the same old shite.

Jamie Shawcross

Can you explain how our signings are 'brilliant signings'? They've not even played a competitive game yet, so what kind of standards do you have?

It's been a catastrophic summer if we don't sign any more players. We lost two midfielders between January and the summer and have failed to sign a replacement. The right wing was also another massive problem area that wasn't rectified, in addition to the number 10 position since Pogba looks like he'll play deeper this season.
"Brilliant" because it shows that the club is thinking long term for once, investing in younger players. The board willing to look past glitzy big brand names that will sell shirts in favour of players the manager believes fits into his philosophy, the philosophy of Manchester United. A couple of years ago the board would have thrown everything at Dybala to appease the share holders and sell shirts. There's been a positive shift in their approach in my eyes. It looks like the football is priority.

Jairdinho

In my opinion this will be the summer that we will look back on and see as the moment where we lost our place as a big club (in a competitive sense that is).

All the talk about players that want to be here. We need to face that football has become a game of
Mercenaries nothing more. And if we don’t offer the money then what do we have? CL football?No. A title contending side? No. A experienced well regarded manager? Again no. We have been horrible or somewhat horrible for years so how can we expect to
Compete after this summer. To think that this summer will in someway help us get forward is nothing more then wishfull thinking.

Jamie Shawcross

Instant success wasn't/isn't needed.

Progression was needed. Progression towards success. A system/structure in place that can be built upon leading to something great. That's why Moyes, LVG and Mourinho all got fired. They all kept regressing.

If Ole doesn't show that, he should be shown the door.
Correct me if I am wrong but it appears to me thats EXACTLY what hes trying to do.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's not the end of the world, but neither is Man Utd finishing 6th in the table.

I mean, none of this is "end of the world" stuff. But it's massively disappointing having it reaffirmed every transfer window how inept our board is at planning and fixing huge holes in this football club.

We've done well at fixing the back 4, although that won't be complete until some deadwood is shipped out. But there was so so so much more to do, and we've only weakened in key areas since this time one year ago.

We will be finishing this season in a similar position as last. Not the end of the world. But not what Man Utd should be about.

Patrick08

It's not the end of the world either if we finish outside top 4 again. It's just a game.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Hhmm interesting point

PL XI

-------------De Gea-------------
AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
---McTominay----Pogba---
James------Lingard------Rashford
-------------Martial-------------

EL/Cup XI

--------------Romero--------------
Dalot--Tuanzebe--Jones--Young
----------Fred-------Matic----------
Mata---------Andreas---------Gomes
------------Greenwood------------

And that's without mentioning the likes of Darmian, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly and Sanchez and working on the assumption that Lukaku really does go and isn't replaced
All well and good thinking we will do a full swap out. It’s next year from February, when the games come thick and fast - into knockout rounds and games have to be taken seriously.

This was also the point where we look jaded in the Europa league winning campaign. After we beat Southampton in the league cup final, we were gased. Considering Ole wants us to cover more ground as well. It’s a huge ask.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It really isnt the end of the world. We arent challenging for the title this year, the goal should be top 4 this year with a view to get our shit together and get on the right track. We won't challenge for the title til our squad is set both from incomings and outgoings. We currently have far too many who we need to let go, while we also have a lot of fantastic young players. Sometimes you have to give them the chance, but that also involves going through some lean years. As it stands, with Maguire in, we can put out these 2 XI's:

Rashford
Martial Lingard James
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan Bissaka
De Gea

Lukaku
Chong Gomes Greenwood
Fred Matic
Young Tuanzebe Smalling Dalot
Romero
Grant, Darmian, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Garner, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez extras.

If we sell Lukaku, we just have Sanchez as the backup XI striker (though he needs to go too). Darmian and 2 of the CBs are pointless with Maguire in, so get rid of those 3. Mata as a squad player is fine provided he is behind the others, same with Pereira. I think this would be enough to get us top 4, and then next summer lead to going for Sancho, the youth progressing for a year to be useful players, Lukaku and Sanchez both gone, and replacing Matic with someone like Longstaff. Squad would then be:

De Gea, Romero, Pereira, Wan Bissaka, Dalot, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Young, Laird, Pogba, McTominay, Longstaff, Fred, Pereira, Garner, Martial, Chong, Sancho, James, Lingard, Gomes, Mata, Rashford, Greenwood.
28 players, 6 of those being u21, but also a clear starting group with some exceptional youth to break into the starting group.

PoTMS

Not the end of the world. We just definitely won't win anything this season. I mean if you're happy to watch Liverpool and City sweep up the silverware while we fight for top 4, then sure, it's not all that bad.

Eddy_JukeZ

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears to me thats EXACTLY what hes trying to do.
We don't know yet.

We'll see once the season starts. There's been some good signs in pre-season, but also some kinks that still show up.

Jamie Shawcross

Not the end of the world. We just definitely won't win anything this season.
We probably won't, but I think that expectation will only help us this season. Pressure off, get some pride back in the club and look to the next available opportunities to strengthen the team. I trust in the long term project. I hope I am not eating my words, but I am either optimistic and look to the future, or I am stuck in the now and the hangover of last season and I wallow and don't enjoy my club. Not an option.

reddevil702

If I thought Ole’s plan was to integrate Chong, Greenwood and Gomes then I wouldn’t as worried. I wouldn’t mind another season of fighting for top 4 in this scenario. But as many have said, I don’t see this happening. I mean we still had Young coming on instead on Dalot vs Milan.

Pennywise

Pogba who doesn't want to be here and mctominay the only 2 midfielders of any quality. The world might not end but if we dont sign midfielders our season will and pretty early

Jamie Shawcross

We don't know yet.

We'll see once the season starts. There's been some good signs in pre-season, but also some kinks that still show up.
Of course. A lot of these players he would see out of the door tomorrow, but we all know its not that simple. Part of the problem this summer is the shite players we have on our books that nobody wants to touch with a barge pole with their wage demands because....they're shite.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I was at the game yesterday and i felt dejected after the game. Our midfield was sickeningly bad, against a shit AC Milan.

What's worse is we have some truly awful performances regularly with Pogba in there too. I just don't see how we navigate through this season right now.
You just have to hope it's an anomaly, but yeah we looked dire vs Milan I thought.

We still struggle playing out from the back when pressed.
Thought it looked very good once we swapped out Matic and Mata mainly with Lingard and Fred, but also Pereira for James.

I think most of our concerning games this season will arrive when we have to start Matic in midfield, Mata in the attack or Pereira in there (just not good enough IMO). Think we'll actually look very decent the majority of the other games. Matic and Mata are just so very past it while Pereira doesn't really work well anywhere in midfield or attack.

NoPace

It'll be tougher to get the transfers in next summer we'll still need without CL football, and without a central midfielder and either a #10 or RW, we're probably about 40% likely to get top 4, if you figure City are 99%, Liverpool 90%, Spurs 60% then Chelsea, Arsenal and us about 40% each and the rest of the Prem up to a healthy 30% or so combined since Everton, Leicester, Wolves and even West Ham look stronger.

KW2006

Actually I am ok with it. Strengthened the defence. De Gea and Pogba staying(hopefully). Exciting youths arising. And seemingly established a way/style of playing. Of couse I would like us to improve the midfield(Bruno and Longstaff) and buy a right winger, but it is difficult to solve all problems in one window maybe.

MrBest

AWB and Maguire are both great signings and answers 50% of the issues we had. The remainding 50% for me was a RW and midfielder. I think James answers half the the wing position, unproven, young and raw. I could live with that given we have Greenwood and Gomes capable of that position too. The last 25% is fundamental to Pogba not getting swampped in every game. Pogba is doing two roles in one because there is no other creative player in our midfield. Mata is gone, lingard is useless, Andreas in my eyes will not be good enough and Fred is Fred. Matic is gone but that position is Mctominays to lose. Bruno would of been the perfect piece to the puzzle taking up the right centre mid position next to pogba on left and both infront of Mctominay. I do not mean to sound negative to but it is hard to get excited as we all know mata lingard and matic will take minutes away from the talent we have and also it is unfair to rely on 17 and 18 year olds to change our season to deliver 4th place of which we need to achieve next year or Adidas will cut our income which in turn will impact transfers next window.

Jamie Shawcross

Pogba who doesn't want to be here and mctominay the only 2 midfielders of any quality. The world might not end but if we dont sign midfielders our season will and pretty early
It could very well be a shite season, and probably will be by our high standards, but even still, so what. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm 33, I hope to see at least another 40 years of United in my life time, so I am not going to panic and wallow just yet. I am interested in the long term project and to see what happens. I am behind it. Make no mistake, I know we have the worst board and owners going, but we will all outlive their tenure, so relax.

Castia

I get that concern, and I somewhat share it, but then I remember that a transfer of a player isn't like football manager. Ed and Ole won't be sat there now going through a catalogue going "what about him? him?". Anyone we do sign in the next 4 days will have been an ongoing negotiation for a while. We aren't the type of club to just take a punt on someone last minute, or at least the way we have behaved with Dybala suggests that. We turned down Dybala (one of the best strikers in europe because he didn't fit in with the plan). I believe in it.
Who's the guy they have pencilled then and why is he being signed with 4 days to go? like our board has some super plan of bringing in 3-4 top scouted targets in key areas of the pitch, I mean come on they're fecking clueless we're a laughing stock.

We were quiet last summer and have had months to prepare for this, for the life of me id love to see the conversation in which Ole and Woodward discuss midfield targets and come to the conclusion that we don't need anybody, that would be hilarious.

Redrum1982

Without additional signings 5th to 7th would be the best we can hope for. We couldn't function without Herrera in side last season, I'm terrified by the prospect of going a full season without a replacement for him! No CL again next year would really hinder us in the market, it's already evident this time around.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
See, if we sign nobody, it's not this season I worry about. I feel we probably have enough to get top 4.
It's next season I worry. Just another transfer window were we're promised one thing and let the fans down

Pscholes18

Hahaha the state of this fecking club, lose out on Dybala and Bruno....Pogba is gone for sure now. This team is fecked

King Eric 7

Young is our captain for this coming season. That alone is quite depressing.

Jamie Shawcross

Who's the guy they have pencilled then and why is he being signed with 4 days to go? like our board has some super plan of bringing in 3-4 top scouted targets in key areas of the pitch, I mean come on they're fecking clueless we're a laughing stock.

We were quiet last summer and have had months to prepare for this, for the life of me id love to see the conversation in which Ole and Woodward discuss midfield targets and come to the conclusion that we don't need anybody, that would be hilarious.
We just signed arguably the best RB in the league with years ahead of him, and took Maguire from under city's nose breaking a record for defender fee. Laughing stock? Not quite.

Code-CX

We lost two CMs and replaced them with no one. If that isn’t a cause for concern, then I don’t know what is. Only midfielder our club is interested in is Longstaff which is so infuriating. We already have Mctominay who is already better than him.

Last edited:

Jamie Shawcross

Hahaha the state of this fecking club, lose out on Dybala and Bruno....Pogba is gone for sure now. This team is fecked
We could have snapped Dybala up, we didn't lose out. We stood our ground and refused to pay mercenary wages to a player who didn't want to really come. Proud of that. Bruno, who said we were ever in for him? We also might still sign the lad yet.

Pennywise

It could very well be a shite season, and probably will be by our high standards, but even still, so what. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm 33, I hope to see at least another 40 years of United in my life time, so I am not going to panic and wallow just yet. I am interested in the long term project and to see what happens. I am behind it. Make no mistake, I know we have the worst board and owners going, but we will all outlive their tenure, so relax.
I tend to agree with your wider point. I fear though unless Ole is backed to strengthen midfield now we'll struggle. If we struggle will he even be here to see a rebuild or do we start again?

Stubble

Very weak midfield and still expect to see way too much of Lingard, Mata, Matic, Young etc ..
Prob take half a season for Ole to relent and play the kids ....... 6th

Jamie Shawcross

I tend to agree with your wider point. I fear though unless Ole is backed to strengthen midfield now we'll struggle. If we struggle will he even be here to see a rebuild or do we start again?
I am not giving up hope of signing this window until the window slams shut. Until then, I am calm. If we don't, I will bemoan it and crack on. There's no deadline to get back to the top. We all want it asap, but we are gonna have to accept its not going to happen any time soon, even if we did buy a ton of amazing players this window. They take time to adapt, gel, buy into the philosophy. I'm cool as a cucumber.

Pscholes18

We could have snapped Dybala up, we didn't lose out. We stood our ground and refused to pay mercenary wages to a player who didn't want to really come. Proud of that. Bruno, who said we were ever in for him? We also might still sign the lad yet.
BBC saying Ole doesn't want Bruno

Jamie Shawcross

That's when i'll be done, if they sack Solksjaer any time soon. That's when my club has truly fallen from grace. I just hope the fans don't turn on him. They wouldn't.....would they?

flappyjay

My heart is sinking thinking about our cm's and someone says we will be fine with that lot. An injury to one of Pogba and mctominay then we are fecked.

Stubble

We lost two CMs and replaced them with no one. If that isn’t a cause for concern, then I don’t know what is. Only midfielder our club is interested in is Longstaff which so infuriating. We already have Mctominay who is already better than him.
Spot on ... really can't comprehend this - scuppers all the good work done elsewhere in the window if true.

Castia

I get your point and if this was early July we'd be in a great position to go after a player that wants to be here, that's fair enough.

The problem isn't Dybala or the fact we have pulled out of the deal, the problem is why the feck we are 4 days out from the window closing and we don't have a player in that position yet? We just wasted a week negotiating with Dybala and have left ourselves no time to get another player in, we shouldn't even be in this position, it should have been sorted weeks ago.

Jamie Shawcross

My heart is sinking thinking about our cm's and someone says we will be fine with that lot. An injury to one of Pogba and mctominay then we are fecked.
I don't think we will be fine. I think it has the potential to be shocking, but so what. We will sort it out eventually