It's pre-season and we are in dire straits

NJM78

I will leave my final judgement until August 8th, but from the start of the window I have had zero faith in the club and I very much expect us to finish out of top 4. I thought exactly the same last summer, and was constantly told the window is open for blah blah and then when I predicted a non top 4 finish it was like I was being purposefully pessimistic. I just call it how I see it personally, so if we are good I will say it, the same when we are bad and we are unfortunately bad on and off pitch. Don't see it changing for a long time.

lysglimt

Scout
After reading yet another post like this, it got me thinking. If social media had existed in 1995 - I seriously wonder what the mood would have been like. We sold Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes - and replaced them with … noone. And after being destroyed 3-1 by Villa on the opening day, there would probably have been 10 threads asking for Fergusons head.

UpWithRivers

After reading yet another post like this, it got me thinking. If social media had existed in 1995 - I seriously wonder what the mood would have been like. We sold Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes - and replaced them with … noone. And after being destroyed 3-1 by Villa on the opening day, there would probably have been 10 threads asking for Fergusons head.
Yeah that was exactly the same as Where we are now. What are the complainers even talking about.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh so that's what Mata looks like. Without the pictures I'd have found this thread confusing and scary.

red4ever 79

At the end of the day Ole will be judged on results nothing else. The end to the season was pitiful. A good chunk of those players are not good enough. This has been tried and tested over and over. If Ole wants to give them all another clean slate then that is upto him. Let's hope he is already collecting those logs for another harsh winter back in Norway.

El Zoido

How is this even remotely the same? We had won the league twice in the previous four seasons and finished second the other two times. A far cry from the state we’re in now.

The Siege

It's pre-season and we're in dire straits.

We kick off our match against Perth Glory. It's the rainy evening of a gloomy day, not unexpected at this time of the year in Burswood. There a cold nip in the air, the kind that made you wish you had carried a jacket on the way over here. You rub your hands together to keep warm, but the wind has made them a little shaky. The rain is lashing across the pitch, but is strangely not hitting the stands at all. And just when you begin to wonder how weird that is, all the floodlights go out. All at once.

You get a shiver in the dark
It's raining in the park
But meantime...

MrSingh2002

Ole's as out of his depth as Moyes was. It's a fact but we like Ole more because of his playing days.

We're fecked right now.

Not replaced Herrera or Fellaini.

Not sold Sanchez or Smalling.

Will probably have to sell Pogba and Lukaku and we haven't got replacements.

De Gea wants to leave.

Where's the positives?

Crustanoid

The club should not have made the promise that they were going to support Ole in turning things around.

It’s doubly worse that they have pissed all over that promise.

Ridiculous that we have the capacity to spend what is needed to challenge again quickly yet we choose not to.

The owners are the worst form of parasite

C'est Moi Cantona

I do wonder what Ed's gonna do when this unravels, after Jose it was Poch & a DOF were on there way, and I was stupid enough to swallow it, no way he's getting away with any crap like that next time.

AFC NimbleThumb

Fans like....you?
See what you did there. Well played.

Forgot how actively people mia-interpret & mis-direct on a forum. I’d ask for people to understand nuance but it’s often about pissing up the wall.

[I actually wrote more but I wrote enough in said thread, unlike most I can do multiple things.]
:eek:

Didn’t know I’d just lost a game of Fifa but ok then.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm looking forward to the season. Mostly because it's shit without football. We've signed Wan-Bissaka.

Hopefully we'll get top four and be able to play in the CL

I can see us really climbing the table next season

:lol:

Hawks2008

Ole's as out of his depth as Moyes was. It's a fact but we like Ole more because of his playing days.

We're fecked right now.

Not replaced Herrera or Fellaini.

Not sold Sanchez or Smalling.

Will probably have to sell Pogba and Lukaku and we haven't got replacements.

De Gea wants to leave.

Where's the positives?
Yeah but he knows the club

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The transfer window shuts in 5 weeks. It's not panic stations just yet. Clubs are becoming richer and richer and thus its getting ridiculous buying players.

Josep Dowling

United fan are in two categories.

It’s either full blown panic or fans that think everything is going to fine.

I have to admit I’m in the full blown panic section and can not understand why the other half think everything is going to be okay.

Unproven manager.

Giving contracts to the players we should be looking to get rid of.

Sign 1 first team player and a Championship player.

Already lost Herrera and likely to lose Lukaku, Pogba and De Gea in the next year. These are our 3 most valuable players that all want to leave.

There is no positivity coming out from the club. We need better players it’s as simple as that and our last two summers has done nothing to change that.

The club is losing its direction. There is no common sense with anything it does. Why are we chasing Longstaff? If we really want him how can we not get a £25m deal over the line? Spurs got Ndombele at a bargain price in today’s market, he’s a top class player for the same money as Fred. Whilst we stand still once again. City have already improved with one signing. Why have we given up on buying world class talent?

The OP is right. The club is being run into the ground from what I can see. We have no ambition anymore. Fans need to start revolting. I honestly believe at this rate we won’t make the top 8.

AJ10

I'm looking forward to the season. Mostly because it's shit without football. We've signed Wan-Bissaka.

Eric's Seagull

Agree with the OP on a lot of things but there's not a lot we can do besides hope. Think Wan Bissaka a good signing in an area we desperately need and I feel he will improve and hopefully stay with us a long time.

With regards to us working on "one or two" I'm hoping that is a figure of speech so to say and we have lots of things going on behind the scenes. I would personally have liked to get all the transfers done before we embark on the tour so Ole has more time to integrate his methods into a full squad of his choosing but sadly this does not look like it is going to happen.

As frustrating as this is there is still quite a bit of time of time to sign players not ideal but I would rather get players in later rather than not get enough quality players in. I just hope we don't leave it to the end of the window when players we could potentially buy, get bought by another team or we get quoted extortionate prices as other teams know that we are desperate.

Totally agree with the point on the Mata as much as he is a model professional don't think he should have had such a long contract which to me seems that we gave him that contract as we don't intend in getting anybody in that area. Similar thing with Perreira as I see him as a squad player, hoping they don't see it as excuse not to strengthen there. Tielemans would in my opinion have been great signing which I was really hoping our links to him were true but that's gone.

If Pogba goes which I would rather see than him being around but not wanting to be here next year and just stinking up the place, I would rather see it done as soon as possible and also sell Lukaku as soon as so we get the money in straight away which I am hoping that Woody will fully reinvest in the squad, although I have doubts he will put it all back in.

padzilla

Hipster
I think it’s more important to weed out the rubbish players and those with bad attitudes. We cannot sell the whole squad at once but until we stop renewing the contracts with added massive payouts to underperforming English players then we will be going nowhere.

Cathy Ferguson

At least Arsenal and Chelsea are in even worse condition, and hopefully they won't be 10 points ahead of us by Christmas this season. But watch out for Leicester and Wolves.

lysglimt

Scout
At the end of the day Ole will be judged on results nothing else. The end to the season was pitiful. A good chunk of those players are not good enough. This has been tried and tested over and over. If Ole wants to give them all another clean slate then that is upto him. Let's hope he is already collecting those logs for another harsh winter back in Norway.
With your reasoning we will never have another manager sitting more than 12 months ever again. You are basically saying that Our players aren't good enough, but if we don't get immediate results with our manager he should go. What a ridiculous comment.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Two problems. One-we can no longer attract the top talent and two-we have to pay 50% more than the market value for any player we sniff at. All the agents know it as do the mid table clubs. Its a huge problem which is why we won’t progress again in the window this summer. Wan Bissaka 50m. Longstaff now priced up at 50m. Maguire 80m. The clubs and agents are simply saying pay whatever we ask or the answer is no. We have no negotiating power. Players aren’t pushing hard for a transfer to us anymore. The players targeted are at best proven mid table players. I’m not sure why we are looking at Maguire when he has stated he prefers a move to City. It means he is only coming for the money which is poor and will end in tears. If Pogba leaves which is looking likely and De Gea, Sanchez and Lukaku continue to sulk the remainder of our squad looks like a match for Everton, Leicester, Wolves. Dire Straits as you put it is where we are and now faced with panic buying and overpaying for the 5th summer in a row. I’m not looking forward to more of the same shit next season.

Chairman Steve

Stuff does need to happen in the next three weeks or so. We really should have signed up at least two more players by the time we’re in the last week of July, with the aim of quickly finishing of one or maybe two more deals in the last days of the transfer window or so.

I just hope there’s a domino effect being built behind the scenes around Pogba and Lukaku sales, and it all goes mental when that first metaphorical domino is felled.

lysglimt

Scout
Dean Henderson, Aaron Wan Bissake, Luke Shaw, Alex Tuanzebe, Victor Nilsson Lindelof, Scott McTominay, Andreas Perreira, Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Angel Gomes, Ethan Laird, James Garner, Mason Greenwood, Daniel James, Tahith Chong, Lee O Connor

These are some of the players we have under 25 years old.

Those of you who whine the most, will have to forgive me for not being quite as negative about the future of Manchester United as you are. Yes, I think this could be a tough season - but we will get stronger for each season.

Eric's Seagull

Two problems. One-we can no longer attract the top talent and two-we have to pay 50% more than the market value for any player we sniff at. All the agents know it as do the mid table clubs. Its a huge problem which is why we won’t progress again in the window this summer. Wan Bissaka 50m. Longstaff now priced up at 50m. Maguire 80m. The clubs and agents are simply saying pay whatever we ask or the answer is no. We have no negotiating power. Players aren’t pushing hard for a transfer to us anymore. The players targeted are at best proven mid table players. I’m not sure why we are looking at Maguire when he has stated he prefers a move to City. It means he is only coming for the money which is poor and will end in tears. If Pogba leaves which is looking likely and De Gea, Sanchez and Lukaku continue to sulk the remainder of our squad looks like a match for Everton, Leicester, Wolves. Dire Straits as you put it is where we are and now faced with panic buying and overpaying for the 5th summer in a row. I’m not looking forward to more of the same shit next season.
Good post. It pains me that we dont we having any pulling power any more and it is annoying the only way we get players in is by paying over the top fees which you rightfully mentioned and also by playing knowing that we will pay them obscene wages. It would be really nice if we could attract hungry players who want to come here and see it as a challenge of building Manchester United back up and making us great again and them looking forward to the opportunity of becoming a vital cog in doing so and rightly be remembered going down as being a big part of it.

Krits

Sigh, sometimes I wonder how miserable your life has to be to get so worked up over every single detail. This isn't directed to just the OP, but just this forum as a whole now. Just so much bickering and negativity over every single detail. Trying to win internet points to show you're the best fans in the world. Even when we used to be winning people use to moan about every single thing (Cleverly, Anderson, Not buying every shiny new player). Has anyone stepped back and wondered, maybe it isn't Man Utd you're so upset about and you'd still be moaning if you supported Barca or Madrid.

Yes, I get frustrated when we play poor and watching Pogba stroll around like he doesn't care, but I'm not hanging on to every single news article, every single interview and all the drama drummed up by agents to make me feel better about Utd. When the season starts we will all be in the same position, all of us waiting to see us play. Why spend so much of the off season just moaning and making yourself miserable. Take a step away from Utd, there's a lot more to do and think about.

Good day to you all.

JK-27

The first game against Chelsea is a big game for many reasons. The result will set the tone for the season. It's against a main rival. It's against a team who have also bought in an ex-player without real managerial pedigree to try and get the club back to the glory days. It's against another team who have also lost their star player (assuming Pogba will be gone from us too by then).

The result will show who has got the plan right and who has got it wrong. I hope to God it us who win but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Look at us, we need to get back to winning ways yet we're likely to lose our star player, our second best player is in the last year of his contract, we have an aging, unskilled squad who somehow still get long-term contracts, and to solve these problems we've decided getting players from Swansea, Palace, and Newcastle is the best way forward? God help us.

TrueRed79

We didn't have an inept manager. We didn't have parasitic owners who have no clue. We didn't have a narcissistic CEO who also doesn't have any clue. But go ahead and draw comparisons all you like :houllier:

dove

Just give up. Set your expectations so low that finishing 10th will look like overachievement. Year after year we are getting worse but what can we do?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Fantastic post. Usual old men on here reminiscing about times and highlighting their hardcore reddism by putting things out of context to impress. Even though they’ve probably snarled at more of such realistic posts since Moyes was appointed and all throughout the past six years when you so called ‘moaners’ have contineously been proven right with your predictions.
Still refusing to accept change, it’s hard for them.

Lovely post. Don’t get discouraged by the farts, most are agreeing with you.

SirAF

Ageist

Ranchero

8th next Season. I can't see huge improvements happening in the next 5 weeks in the starting 11. Pogba goes and we won't replace properly.
We will replace with (drum roll) Sean Longstaff of Newcastle United? Who the Geordies want £50m plus for. So are the two extras coming in Longstaff and Maguire, going along with the homegrown talent line? We lose Pogba, bring in Longstaff. Think about that.

Smores

Ignore those having a go OP, go back 2 months even and there wasn't anyone who would be happy with this situation. We just have a bunch of people who no matter how bad it gets will rationalise the lowering of their own expectations so they can moan at others for being critical.

Perfectly fair to hold judgement til the window closes as the club may redeem themselves but it's not looking great right now.

sp_107

Eisenstein priced time travel is possible and we hear some stories about people coming from future !

Means everything we think will happen is already happened and we are just witnessing it ! So why worry too much ?

What ever meant to happen will happen :)

VanGaalyTime

@UnitedObsession99 good post, fully agree.

I get that people are impatient, but there's still a lot of time. And let's face it, things at Chelsea and Arsenal look pretty dire too ... top 4 should certainly be a possibility for us in any case, anything beyond that is probably unrealistic IMO. But 4th place, continuous development and a good summer 2020 should put us in a much better position for 20-21.
Why is a title charge unrealistic? We could easily spend 300m on players and get the talent we need to win the league. The point is that we won't spend. And that's the only thing stopping us winning the league. Why should fans continue to go to games if the owners won't allow the club to invest it own money? Why shouldn't we try to impact our sponsors and start global protests? What's happening to United is unprecedented in global sport. Certainly in football. We haven't overspent. We're the wealthiest team in the world. And yet so many fans are happy to try for 4th this season. What happened to our club?

It's only going to get worse I assume. If we fail to get top 10 this season we'll be trying to get top 6 next year. Then what? We simply need to invest. And invest more than Liverpool and City. We've been outspent by City in 9 out of the last 10 windows. And that's the sole reason we're so far behind. Get players in for the right money and we'll see the difference. It's not complicated.